• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Fantomex

Highlights for those that don't want to click:

Genuinely surprised they released all this now and not after the E3 conferences. Blows a whole in my theory that some of this stuff wasn't set in stone. DYING to see how Sony responds.

Man, this is just garbage. Yeah I'll admit, we are complaining about 1st world problems, but still. I wonder if Microsoft is just counting on the dudebros this gen. The type who don't really pay attention to stuff at launch.

So if you trust a person, you could just let them access your shared games from their console to get around the 1 time 'borrow' of a particular title restriction it sounds like. I personally don't loan out my games to just anyone so this seems like a good solution to me. Actually pretty damn cool feature that a buddy and I can just play each other's games if we don't each feel like buying a particular title.

I expect Sony will do the same shit regarding used games so MS will no longer be solely in the hot seat soon enough. It's also at the publisher's discretion so they could always allow free transfers for titles if there's enough community backlash. Even if none of them do, this is going to be the new thing so people that want to play on consoles will have to suck it up or buy new.

That you can turn Kinect off should shut up some people for now but I suppose we don't really know how viable this is until we see if specific games require it.

Greg

Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Just once!
I wonder how many publishers will actually enable it though - especially if they're the ones against used games. I could see it being one of those things where 1st party developers will support it, and 3rd parties won't.

-Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

This is by far the best thing ever. My wife and I have to buy 2 copies of every mp game that we want to play together. I am stunned that they will let us just share one copy now. That is such a great feature for people with multiple family members that game. I seriously cant believe MS got publishers to sign off on that.

squicken

That MS isn't getting a cut of used games is a big blow to a lot of trolling that was going on. The DRM was always about appeasing publishers. The game sharing thing seems so easily abusable that I'm sure it will get limited at a later date

-Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

This is by far the best thing ever. My wife and I have to buy 2 copies of every mp game that we want to play together. I am stunned that they will let us just share one copy now. That is such a great feature for people with multiple family members that game. I seriously cant believe MS got publishers to sign off on that.

It says "any one" of your family members. Not "anyone". Pretty big distinction. Also it doesn't say that the other person can be playing the same game that you're currently playing. Just that they can be playing a game from the shared list.

No renting, no loaning. No private sales (unless selling to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days)

Console Checks in Every 24 hours

Trade-ins are up to the publisher and only at participating retailers

You can give a game to a friend only if they have been on your friends list for 30 days, and then it is stuck with them.

Up to 10 family members can play your games from any console at any time

nothing sounds enticing to me

WedgeX

Banned
Im really going to have to end my posts No Hawk

ibqlhHw0SWdiW.gif

squicken

So I can lend a game to anyone on my friends list? That will get shut down too. It's a lot easier to "lend" a game to a friend when you don't have to use the post office. You could have a whole marketplace of guys like GraveRobber who just switch games with their bros

JABEE

So I can lend a game to anyone on my friends list? That will get shut down too. It's a lot easier to "lend" a game to a friend when you don't have to use the post office. You could have a whole marketplace of guys like GraveRobber who just switch games with their bros
You can't lend it. You can give it to them. They make the limit 30 days, because they don't want people using the giving function to sell games outside of their systems.

BigAT

You can't lend it to them, you can transfer it to them once and then that's it forever.

"There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once."

squicken

You can't lend it. You can give it to them. They make the limit 30 days, because they don't want people using the giving function to sell games outside of their systems.

Yeah as far as the lending program, it also makes it clear it is disc based games, so you would physically need to give the disc. If you could just lend your license, that would be too easy to exploit

I'm still not sure how the family thing works. I think it's only right that all XB1s in any give home should be able to share a game, but I can share games with my brother who lives 100s of miles away and is in his 30s?

JABEE

I don't want to hear someone try to spin these policies as good. These are complete shit and a step backwards for gamers.

I hope PlayStation doesn't follow with this garbage.

I should just stay here. Gaming side is really messed up. The Sony fans are insufferable, and the MS fans think everything is going to be an exclusive for Xbox. Nintendo fans seem blissfully unaware, which is kinda endearing. Problem with being here is I don't know who any of you guys like, so it's hard to respond with an insult to your team when you mock the beautifully handsome Brady. I need a cheat sheet.
That is a wise decision. Gaming side has always been an abomination. You're much safer here in NFL-GAF with the rest of us.

BigAT

I don't want to hear someone try to spin these policies as good. These are complete shit and a step backwards for gamers.

I hope PlayStation doesn't follow with this garbage.

Don't get your hopes up. I just can't imagine a publisher as big as EA would eliminate online passes without knowing full well that they wouldn't need them for both next-gen consoles. I agree that it's incredibly shitty.

Don't get your hopes up. I just can't imagine a publisher as big as EA would eliminate online passes without knowing full well that they wouldn't need them for both next-gen consoles. I agree that it's incredibly shitty.

Im expecting Sony to do a Hogan type heel turn at E3.

Question #2 actually had been answered by Sony. And we'd reported it: "At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." (Emphasis added.) Apologies for missing that during our attempts to clarify just how similar or dissimilar Sony's next-gen policies are from Microsoft's.

That's from a Kotaku article way back when. If Sony follows through with that, it allows EA to go ahead and require online registration of a title and since its up to a publisher to "enable" gamers to trade in used games for the Xbox One - Sony will simply follow a similar policy without the online 24 hour check Microsoft has in place. What will be interesting is how Sony will handle first party releases?

Mind you this is just lure conjecture on my part based on that statement.

Fantomex

As we move into this new generation of games and entertainment, from time to time, Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services to reflect modifications and improvements to our services, feedback from customers and our business partners or changes in our business priorities and business models or for other reasons. We may also cease to offer certain services or products for similar reasons.

:jnc

That's from a Kotaku article way back when. If Sony follows through with that, it allows EA to go ahead and require online registration of a title and since its up to a publisher to "enable" gamers to trade in used games for the Xbox One - Sony will simply follow a similar policy without the online 24 hour check Microsoft has in place. What will be interesting is how Sony will handle first party releases?

EA will probably use the registration.

JABEE

Even in that scenario, EA would have to create their own authentication system. Only big publishers could afford that.

The system is universal on Xbox.

I hope it isn't true at all on PS4

squicken

Even in that scenario, EA would have to create their own authentication system. Only big publishers could afford that.

The system is universal on Xbox.

I hope it isn't true at all on PS4

Yeah that is what I wonder. MS is doing all the authenticating on XB1. Is Sony making publishers do that themselves? b/c EA has firmly established an inability to do that. Madden and FIFA would be unplayable on PS4 on release day

Top Bottom