• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

This coffee stuff better work.

You're pulling an all-nighter? When is your deadline? Good luck, brother!

PATRIOTS/BUCS/RUTGERS NEWS!

Bill and Schiano both canceled practice today.

They probably gonna hang out, play some videogames, drink a couple of beers and maybe make out if Bill is drunk enough.

Draxal

They probably gonna hang out, play some videogames, drink a couple of beers and maybe make out if Bill is drunk enough.

Gator and Snes gonna make it a foursome.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

You have weird fetishes

squicken

What else is there?

Different teams have different goals. Jags fans and players would rightfully be thrilled with 8-8. The players of course can never say that publicly. Teams like ATL and SF of course need to make deep playoff runs. But I'm not calling ATL's 2012 season some failed year. Harry Douglas doesn't trip and they are in the SB. The playoffs are random. It's a roulette spin.

bionic77

Man that Wonderful 101 game looks amazing.

That and Donkey Kong looked like must haves on the Wii U.

GAF tell me what I should be looking at on the 3DS, Vita and PS4 from e3?

Don't bother with Vita. Just get a PS3.

Different teams have different goals. Jags fans and players would rightfully be thrilled with 8-8. The players of course can never say that publicly. Teams like ATL and SF of course need to make deep playoff runs. But I'm not calling ATL's 2012 season some failed year. Harry Douglas doesn't trip and they are in the SB. The playoffs are random. It's a roulette spin.

I'm sure Thomas Dmitroff considers it a failure.

Winning the Super Bowl is the only goal worth talking about. Nobody's gonna care in 6 months whether the Rams won 2 more games over last season. All mediocrity buys you is mediocrity.

squicken

I don't really think there's anything you would want on console, besides all the "Indie" games that are just re-skinned SNES games

For 3DS they honestly didn't show much, although they did release a new trailer for Yoshi's New Island and the LttP sequel (A Link Between Worlds).

For Vita...

alone-art-cartoon-cry-crying-Favim.com-291834_large.gif

For PS4 (and everything else) this is a handy list: http://i.imgur.com/dfChJKh.png

Highlights for me were MGSV, The Division, Killzone: SF, InFamous: Second Son, Battlefield 4, Mirror's Edge 2, The Order: 1866, The Witcher 3, and Destiny.

So much gun shooting.
I keep waiting for myself to get tired of shooters but it hasn't happened yet. I get tired of very specific formulas like CoD, Halo, and Gears, but a new world with a few new mechanics and a shiny coat of paint is often enough reason for me to give a game a look. Plus, stuff like The Division and Destiny looks interesting for its MP and RPG elements.

I definitely enjoy variety, though. Usually I find that mixing in a bunch of Japanese games and Nintendo stuff with the shooters makes for a nice balance.

I keep waiting for myself to get tired of shooters but it hasn't happened yet. I get tired of very specific formulas like CoD, Halo, and Gears, but a new world with a few new mechanics and a shiny coat of paint is often enough reason for me to give a game a look. Plus, stuff like The Division and Destiny looks interesting for its MP and RPG elements.

I definitely enjoy variety, though. Usually I find that mixing in a bunch of Japanese games and Nintendo stuff with the shooters makes for a nice balance.

To be fair some of it is more nuanced like the Division.

I was really hoping Mass Effect would influence more western devs towards making games like that, where dialog and choice was just as important as shooting. Instead it went the other way and corrupted ME.

I wonder how shooting became the de facto standard mechanic in games. But it's just so much fun. I'm not tired yet.

Fighting games and racing games both made a huge comeback this gen, plus the host of arcade games on each platforms feature way more non shooters then shooters. I think shooters taking over the industry is crazy overblown.

squicken

I wonder how shooting became the de facto standard mechanic in games. But it's just so much fun. I'm not tired yet.

I'm not either, though I have less use for the straight up FPS anymore. I like Deus Ex over CoD. I really miss Splinter Cell being a real game. for all the crap Ryse is taking, people should look at what Splinter Cell has become. It's entirely button prompts!

Milchjon

You're sick!

I only play non-violent adventure games.

What can I say, we love our guns over here.

I'm not either, though I have less use for the straight up FPS anymore. I like Deus Ex over CoD. I really miss Splinter Cell being a real game. for all the crap Ryse is taking, people should look at what Splinter Cell has become. It's entirely button prompts!

The second Splinter Cell was the best. People always rave about Chaos Theory, but Pandora Tomorrow had some really great locations.

Fighting games and racing games both made a huge comeback this gen, plus the host of arcade games on each platforms feature way more non shooters then shooters. I think shooters taking over the industry is crazy overblown.

What racing games made a comeback?

Fighters and racers combined sold one tenth of what FPS' did this gen. It's not even close.

Now that is definitely something I can agree with. Honestly I'm not thrilled at how shooter happy next gen is looking so far but I still enjoy straight up FPS enough that I'll pick up a couple of them. I'd prefer RPG's, though. Just looking at my top 5 so far for this year you've got:

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening
2. Ni no Kuni
3. Dragon's Dogma
4. The Swapper
5. Bit.Trip Runner 2

The first shooter that shows up is Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which did enough to differentiate itself from typical shooters. Anyway, my point is it's certainly not my favorite genre but I'll still have some fun with a few of them.

What racing games made a comeback?

Fighters and racers combined sold one tenth of what FPS' did this gen. It's not even close.

Maybe in total numbers across all games but GT5 sold amazingly well and even Forza 4 did well. We got tons of fighting games, even though no one of them sells like crazy, devs are still making games like that because they do well.

Maybe in total numbers across all games but GT5 sold amazingly well and even Forza 4 did well. We got tons of fighting games, even though no one of them sells like crazy, devs are still making games like that because they do well.

Forza 4 and Horizon each sold less than their predecessors.There is no racing resurgence - if anything that genre is contracting. The Fighting game resurgence was a blip on the radar that looks to have ended with SF x Tekken bombing.

Devs will still make games of all genres. Problem is the flagship games from studios are more likely than not FPS', and old western franchises are most likely going to be resurrected as FPS'. the First person shooter dominates the market. This cannot be disputed.

Greg

To be fair some of it is more nuanced like the Division.

I was really hoping Mass Effect would influence more western devs towards making games like that, where dialog and choice was just as important as shooting. Instead it went the other way and corrupted ME.
The older I get, the less I care about dialog in games. I used to buy into some of these games and try hard to get some enjoyment from their stories, but now I'm usually jamming on buttons to skip them unless it's clear they're really well done.

They usually fall into the categories of games that put story in because they feel they have to and it turns out terrible, or games that think they're changing the medium by stuffing their game with things that barely enhance (and usually detract from) the experience.

This isn't a knock on Mass Effect (never played it, sci-fi/space isn't my thing in games), but just in general for me.

The older I get, the less I care about dialog in games. I used to buy into some of these games and try hard to get some enjoyment from their stories, but now I'm usually jamming on buttons to skip them unless it's clear they're really well done.

They usually fall into the categories of games that put story in because they feel they have to and it turns out terrible, or games that think they're changing the medium by stuffing their game with things that barely enhance (and usually detract from) the experience.

This isn't a knock on Mass Effect (never played it, sci-fi/space isn't my thing in games), but just in general for me.

Weren't you jizzing your pants over MGS earlier?

Fucking Forza. PGR is so much better, it's not even funny.

I blame racism for the lack of success.

They are such different games there is definitely room for both. I played so much PGR around launch. Cat and Mouse was a great online mode. Hopefully MS does something with the PGR franchise at some point nextgen.

i hate all you that dont eqaully love the story/cutscenes of the MGS series as much as the gameplay! you people! Monsters!

The story in MGS4 is one of the worst things to ever happen to gaming. It has been declared a war crime in 7 countries to make someone watch those cutscenes.

bionic77

For 3DS they honestly didn't show much, although they did release a new trailer for Yoshi's New Island and the LttP sequel (A Link Between Worlds).

For Vita...

alone-art-cartoon-cry-crying-Favim.com-291834_large.gif

For PS4 (and everything else) this is a handy list: http://i.imgur.com/dfChJKh.png

Highlights for me were MGSV, The Division, Killzone: SF, InFamous: Second Son, Battlefield 4, Mirror's Edge 2, The Order: 1866, The Witcher 3, and Destiny.
MGS looked eh.
That Tom Clancy game looked amazing. I am a little tired of shooters, but that looked really different.
Killzone looked amazing. But honestly I am pretty sure I would get bored of it within 5 hours. That looks like a rental not a buy. Or at best a 20 dollar throw-away.
Infamous looked great. I want to play that.
Somehow Mirrors Edge did not do it for me. But that was super early.
Didn't see any gameplay from the Order.
Destiny was very meh (though I am not a huge fan of FPS).
The Witcher looked great.

bionic77

You have a Wii u? So disappointed Bionic.
Nope. Haven't really seen any games that I like for it. Wonderful 101 and DKC are the only two that really impressed me. Oh and that X game. But since none of them are out I don't see why I would buy it other than to spend 300 dollars to replay SuperMetroid.

3DS only so far for next gen.

Just like the DS was last gen this looks to be the best console this gen.

bionic77

Will The Witcher feature mermaid sex?

A friend of mine told me to ask that.
The trailer seemed to hint at it.

You can probably only get it on PS4.

Once the Kinect 2.0 sees you in a filthy Pats jersey they will probably shut you down and put it in virgin mode.

Milchjon

The trailer seemed to hint at it.

You can probably only get it on PS4.

Once the Kinect 2.0 sees you in a filthy Pats jersey they will probably shut you down and put it in virgin mode.

Sweet! I mean, my friend will be pleased to hear that.

That will finally solve the age old mystery of how mermaids have sex.

bionic77

I might have dreamed it or it may have been a hallucination, but I am pretty sure I saw a commercial for a show about Real Mermaids on the History Channel.

What's this "friend" thing?
Those are the people that hack into yankee's free Xbone to watch him play multiplatform games 2 weeks earlier than the rest of us.

As long as the mermaid has the top half of a fish and the bottom half of a human there wouldnt be any problem with having sex.

for me the craziness pulls me back in.

you're the worst thing to happen to gaming jerk!! sorry, idk what happend

Sorry I am just way to old for shit and fart jokes. Plus the story really falls about and doesnt make any sense at parts. I wanted to love MGS4 but it was just to much.

I got burned out on shooters somewhere around '04 or '05. I would probably buy a new Half-Life though. I loved HL2 a lot and just dig that universe for some reason.

in all honesty i dont even remember the story that well, i havent played it since launch.

You didnt go back for the trophies? LOL I doubt even Graverobber has the platinum in that game. It took like a ton of playthroughs to unlock everything. I swear Kojima made them ridiculous just to get back at all the people that kept harassing him to add them.

Top Bottom