• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

well he really nails it. i also like that the game doesn't pull any punches. not going to post specific spoilers but there are times where in other games they would take the "friendlier" route to a situation but not in this game
Yeah. I literally said "Fuck!" out loud and damn near sulked at a certain point in the game with how certain characters progressed. I won't say more.

You genuinely will give a shit about the characters in this game.

brentech

The girl that voices Ellie has imdb records of some 90+ titles. An I can't remember her from any of them.

Such a memorable actress!

I'm not far in the game. But I thought the part where she is trying to whistle was pretty charming. I'm barely just past that I think.

i even like the melee combat a lot. the animations, sound and rumble all combine so well and it feels good beating the shit out of a soldier or just destroying a zombie with a crow bar

What do you guys think were the best game devs this gen?

I would have to go with Naughty Dog, Rockstar and Bethesda in no particular order, with an honorable mention for ThatGameCompany.

I went to an English style bar the other day. Nothing but soccer and rugby on.

Now I know why the Yurups hate America. They're jealous of our food. It actually has flavor.

brentech

Man, you literally just started the game "proper". The rest of what you played was the tutorial. :jnc
yea. I could kind of tell that's how it was working.
I don't play much on the console when my wife is home. Usually play PC games in my office instead if anything.
I'm sure ill make some strides this week.

bionic77

I'm a good 12-13 hours in and about 65% complete. It's a lengthy game.

You genuinely give a shit about these characters and the game is brutal at times and you'll ride that emotional roller coaster.:(

No hyperbole - this is the best voice acting I've had the pleasure of experiencing in a video game. It doesn't need the "in a video game" qualifier either.
Sounds too real for me brah.

I will play it one day when I am ready. Sounds like the Wire. That shit was brilliant but you can't just jump into it like it is MarioKart! Got to get ready for it. At least I do.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's what I mean. Reading the latest Knack thread, I just can't see where else the love for the game comes from. It looks clunky and uninteresting. His recently acquired semi-God status on GAF is the only explanation I can come up with.

I think it looks good, but one of my reasons is that it's not another ridiculous shootbang FPS. It was one of the few AAA games at E3 that was shown at the Sony/MS conferences that wasn't a FPS. Since it is different, it seems appealing.

i even like the melee combat a lot. the animations, sound and rumble all combine so well and it feels good beating the shit out of a soldier or just destroying a zombie with a crow bar
The one thing I love about the game the most is that it gives me just enough "open world" while still providing a linear course of action. It's the perfect balance. You have enough freedom to explore and scrounge for resources but not enough to go off doing aimless shit that has nothing to do with the story. It's really impressive how they've managed to make what is for all intents and purposes a linear stealth game but it never feels like you're artificially "blocked" off from seeing the world around you. Stuff is where it is because it makes sense, etc.

brentech

Yea. Seems like I can go anywhere I've tried to so far.
Only issue is I really think Joel should know how to break a beer bottle to use as a shiv.
Could even still be dangerous with clickers around.

Problem is, there's so many bottles around in the game, it would break the balance.

Milchjon

I would have to go with Naughty Dog, Rockstar and Bethesda in no particular order, with an honorable mention for ThatGameCompany.

REMEDY!

I went to an English style bar the other day. Nothing but soccer and rugby on.

Now I know why the Yurups hate America. They're jealous of our food. It actually has flavor.

newz045-europes-facepalm.jpg

Sounds too real for me brah.

I will play it one day when I am ready. Sounds like the Wire. That shit was brilliant but you can't just jump into it like it is MarioKart! Got to get ready for it. At least I do.

Let me quote The Who:

"I hope I die before I get bionic".

AS much hate as they EA has made some fun games.

Oh definitely.

They took their sports games and especially Fifa to a whole new level. I own a lot of games published by EA and almost all of them are really good.

But looking at ND with their Uncharted games (Not even counting TLoU since I haven't played it), Bethesda with Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and even New Vegas and Rockstar with Red Dead, Max Payne and GTA IV. EA for me didn't do what those guys did.

Your such a fanboy! ;)

Another studio that made great games is Rocksteady, with both Batman games.

They can eat a pallet of dicks.

Why the hate?

Bread

Banned
infinity ward made 2 of the best multiplayer games of this gen in cod2 and 4, they are in my top 4 with bungie, epic, and valve.

tear away for vita looks so good! a real shame that sony hasn't dropped the price of vita. it is such a great machine with an awesome library of games (especially if you count the PSone games!) but it seems no one has it and at $250 i can't blame them too much

infinity ward made 2 of the best multiplayer games of this gen in cod2 and 4, they are in my top 4 with bungie, epic, and valve.

COD 4 was an amazing game. That SP blew me away, it was one of the coolest rollercoaster rides in a game. The first part of that sniper level will never stop being awesome. From a MP perspective I really loved Blops 1 the most of the COD games.

tear away for vita looks so good! a real shame that sony hasn't dropped the price of vita. it is such a great machine with an awesome library of games (especially if you count the PSone games!) but it seems no one has it and at $250 i can't blame them too much

Yep, then you add in the price of a memory card.

COD 4 was an amazing game. That SP blew me away, it was one of the coolest rollercoaster rides in a game. The first part of that sniper level will never stop being awesome. From a MP perspective I really loved Blops 1 the most of the COD games.

I'll never forget the first time I saw the ship mission. I was thinking "Holy shit, this looks awesome" and that was the first mission, basically the warm-up for the rest of the game. So good.

That was back in the days when everyone (hardcore and wannabe hipster gamers included) loved COD.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Like 95% of "American" food is based on foreign influences.

But at least you guys have genuinely American stuff like the KFC Double Down and Taco Bell craparitos.

Seeing as the only native Americans are Native Americans, yes, most of the food is influenced by foreigners. You say that like it's a bad thing.

I got COD4 at launch and after about a week all of my friends had their own copy. It was just so incredible for its time. That sniper mission was just unbelievable.

brentech

I must be a super minority. I see almost no redeeming value in the Halo series. The game play feels very dated, and technically the games weren't very good either. Upscale graphics just to reach 720p.
Color me unimpressed with Bungie.

Feels like most people I know that really like Halo, are a tad younger or just didn't grow up playing any MP games, because it feels highly reminiscent of Quake and a few other games blended in.

The fact that they made so many of them blows my mind (particularly that people bought it up in droves). Don't get me wrong, if you've never experienced that style of game it's what can get people into gaming, but it's really interesting that people stuck with the series when there is objectively better shooter experiences available.

I'll never forget the first time I saw the ship mission. I was thinking "Holy shit, this looks awesome" and that was the first mission, basically the warm-up for the rest of the game. So good.

That was back in the days when everyone (hardcore and wannabe hipster gamers included) loved COD.

COD is getting shit on nowadays (and rightfully so sometimes), but it makes people forget how amazing 4 was.

Another moment that blew me away in the SP was, and I'm just gonna spoiler it just in case,

The moment when you're flying away in the chopper and the nuke goes off. I didn't expect them to actually kill off the character like that. I was in shock when that happened.

brentech

I actually haven't played any of their games yet. O_O
I think they even have a triple pack with them all available. Just never tried them.

Since someone mentioned PlanetSide 2 yesterday (for ps4), I decided to download it on my PC. I'm interested to see what the game is like. I have a bunch of shit to play on PC as it already is though. That Amazon game sale got me quite a bit of steam codes.

COD is getting shit on nowadays (and rightfully so sometimes), but it makes people forget how amazing 4 was.
It's because 4 is so amazing that the series gets shit on today. They've literally done nothing to progress the formula. Every COD since is nothing but the same gameplay scenarios in 4 reskinned. Watching some footage of Ghost - it's literally the same fucking game. With a dog now.

cashman

Banned
It's because 4 is so amazing that the series gets shit on today. They've literally done nothing to progress the formula. Every COD since is nothing but the same gameplay scenarios in 4 reskinned. Watching some footage of Ghost - it's literally the same fucking game. With a dog now.

Yep, it's essentially the Madden of shooters.

The ghillie suit mission in COD4 is probably one of my favorite experiences from this generation.

MechDX

Anyone have experience shipping handgun ammo? Specifically 9mm. What is your experience?

Father in law in Maine is paying through the nose and it is much cheaper here.

i'm not being sarcastic at all. most people commenting on what MS is doing are going back and forth on it. look at major nelson commenting on stuff but saying "well i'm not exactly sure though, i'll get back to you!" i don't trust anything they say at this point.

and when did i diss on connectivity? i love online connectivity and i think every console should have a robust online system, i just don't think it should be forced on users to check in with papa every 24 hours. i dont like having to get permission to sell my games (still not sure how this is going to work and it doesn't sound like MS is either).

if you want to see how connectivity SHOULD be done, then check out what sony is doing with ps4

I know but as a Cardinals fan I'm obligated to hate you. It's not my fault, i was born into it.

Greg

Why the hate?
releasing the piece of trash that is Skyrim on PS3, lying about its performance, taking forever to "fix" the issue, etc.

Another moment that blew me away in the SP was, and I'm just gonna spoiler it just in case,

The moment when you're flying away in the chopper and the nuke goes off. I didn't expect them to actually kill off the character like that. I was in shock when that happened.
4 was really fun, and it was a nice change of pace at the time... until its popularity started influencing every game

everything was experience and ranks and unlocks and respawn and aim assistance and ADS

Battlefield 4 looks pretty awful.

I think Naughty Dog is the winner.
Uncharted 2 was monstrous and TLOU looks to be a hit with hardcore gamers.

Lots of devs had their fingerprints on this gen. Strong cases could be made for Infinity Ward, R*, Crytek, and Epic.

Top Bottom