• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

jakncoke

Banned
Is Drive Club going to be like that free GT dl Sony put out on the PS3 in the start? Like 2 tracks and 3 cars or whatever. I havent really looked into the details of Drive Club just passing comments on it being on PS+ and being a glorified demo

Is Drive Club going to be like that free GT dl Sony put out on the PS3 in the start? Like 2 tracks and 3 cars or whatever. I havent really looked into the details of Drive Club just passing comments on it being on PS+ and being a glorified demo

Yeah they said is is only some cars/tracks. They did say you can upgrade to the full game for less then full price though.

squicken

I am fascinated by this MS game sharing thing. If it really means you can share a game as a long as you are connected, it really changes the value proposition of that console. It totally reminds me of the PSN game share thing that Sony had to backtrack on. I just can't see publishers letting their games be shared like that.

Also, Happy Fathers Day to those of you who have made that awful mistake ;)

I am fascinated by this MS game sharing thing. If it really means you can share a game as a long as you are connected, it really changes the value proposition of that console. It totally reminds me of the PSN game share thing that Sony had to backtrack on. I just can't see publishers letting their games be shared like that.

Also, Happy Fathers Day to those of you who have made that awful mistake ;)

You can share any digital game on XBOX 360 with 1 other person, and you can share most digital games one PS3 with one other person. This just sounds like they are taking out the step where you would have to log in with my profile to download the game on your console. It is nice that they are making it easier for people to do though.

squicken

You can share any digital game on XBOX 360 with 1 other person, and you can share most digital games one PS3 with one other person. This just sounds like they are taking out the step where you would have to log in with my profile to download the game on your console. It is nice that they are making it easier for people to do though.

So I could buy Halo 3 on the digital store, then share it with my brother, and we could play online together? I had no idea.

If you think about like the guys who play in big Madden or FIFA leagues, they could all share their games. It goes from like 20 sold copies to 10

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So I could buy Halo 3 on the digital store, then share it with my brother, and we could play online together? I had no idea.

If you think about like the guys who play in big Madden or FIFA leagues, they could all share their games. It goes from like 20 sold copies to 10

You can't play the game concurrently.

Yes. MS digital policy has always been that digital games are tied to both the first console they are downloaded on and the profile that downloads them. Your brother logs onto his 360 with your profile, downloads Halo 3 now it is tied to his console. Any profile can play it from his console, you then log onto your profile on your 360 and download it and now you both have a copy of Halo 3 that you can play online together. They have already said that the digital rights will be the same on the XB1, they are just giving you a share list so that you can share the game with more people. Sadly no one seems to know the exact details of how games on the list will work though.

You can't play the game concurrently.

This is completely false. My wife and I have used this on many games and it absolutely lets you both play the game at the same time.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
This is completely false. My wife and I have used this on many games and it absolutely lets you both play the game at the same time.

Completely true. Don't let your kangaroo love blind you from the truth.

The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time.

Completely true. Don't let your kangaroo love blind you from the truth.

Are you talking about 360 or XB1? MS has already said that the digital rights will be the same, so you can absolutely use the same profile to download the game twice on the XB1 if you so chose. On top of that Major Nelson said yesterday that you can definitely be playing the same sp game concurrently on the XB1 with someone else on your share list, he just didnt think you can be playing the same mp game concurrently. That is why I said we dont have all the details of how the share list will work, but if squicken wants to share a game with his brother they can absolutely 100$ do that for every single XB1 game and all DLC as long as he lets his brother use his profile to download the game first.

Here is a post confirming that you can indeed play sp games concurrently for sure on XB1:

Originally Posted by LTWheels:
Check this follow up video, Joe has more info about the family pack.

http://youtu.be/OPC4XzyE3Gc

Says he later found out that Larry was slight mistaken, it is 2 people at the same time. But when 2 people at the same time its for singleplayer only. Also the other 8 people are not locked out from playing other games in the shared library. DLC is also shared.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
On the 360? I guess that makes sense. But on the XB1 they are positioning concurrent play as the trade off for the 24 hour check in

Nope. I have it reversed. XBone won't have concurrent play. It's going to destroy single player game sales: "Hurry up and finish TLoU, so I can play next!" Also, Halo3 is going to be free with a Gold account, apparently, so you and your brother can play each other for free pretty soon.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
On the 360? I guess that makes sense. But on the XB1 they are positioning concurrent play as the trade off for the 24 hour check in

And also apparently positioning themselves for a distant third-place finish in the console wars.

jakncoke

Banned
And also apparently positioning themselves for a distant third-place finish in the console wars.

idk Wii U been selling at a clip of maybe half what what PS3 worse days were like..if things dont change for Wii U and consumers dont blind buy Xbone its going to a battle of fail between those 2.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
idk Wii U been selling at a clip of maybe half what what PS3 worse days were like..if things dont change for Wii U and consumers dont blind buy Xbone its going to a battle of fail between those 2.

I think the Wii U's lineup next year is going to help it have somewhat of a 3DS-esque turnaround. People love Mario Kart (which is why Nintendo is INSANE not to have it out before Christmas). It'll be a battle for 2nd place.

Wii U will be fine but Nintendo has to get games out. Right now there are very few reasons to get a Wii U if you have almost any other platform (PS360, 3DS, Wii)

MS was coming in third this gen no matter what. XBOX is a US console - they are a ghost in Japan and struggle to do anything outside of the UK.

Yep.Also works with DLC.Just make sure your brother download the game on his Xbox 1st using your account.

Yes. MS digital policy has always been that digital games are tied to both the first console they are downloaded on and the profile that downloads them. Your brother logs onto his 360 with your profile, downloads Halo 3 now it is tied to his console. Any profile can play it from his console, you then log onto your profile on your 360 and download it and now you both have a copy of Halo 3 that you can play online together. They have already said that the digital rights will be the same on the XB1, they are just giving you a share list so that you can share the game with more people. Sadly no one seems to know the exact details of how games on the list will work though.

That's not how it works for 360. You can play the game on any profile on the console that has the license for it, to play on another console you have to be signed into the profile that originally purchased it.

To play on a different console online or with another profile you have to use the license transfer tool, which can only be used once a year.

I know this because I had to deal with it for 4 different consoles that RROD on me. Couldn't access my library without being signed in until I transferred the licenses, every damn time. This is how it has always been.

Now you could let your brother use your profile on his console while you used an alternate profile on your console to both game online. But that is the only way it is possible, not sure about what Xbone is using but as far as I know, it is similar to Steam where 2 people can't game online at the same time, but it can be shared amongst several different computers.

Edit: Oh never mind read that wrong. But the only downside is you would have to be online anytime you want to play Halo 3 now, since the license would be on your brother's console.

That's not how it works for 360. You can play the game on any profile on the console that has the license for it, to play on another console you have to be signed into the profile that originally purchased it.

To play on a different console online or with another profile you have to use the license transfer tool, which can only be used once a year.

I know this because I had to deal with it for 4 different consoles that RROD on me. Couldn't access my library without being signed in until I transferred the licenses, every damn time. This is how it has always been.

Now you could let your brother use your profile on his console while you used an alternate profile on your console to both game online. But that is the only way it is possible, not sure about what Xbone is using but as far as I know, it is similar to Steam where 2 people can't game online at the same time, but it can be shared amongst several different computers.

Edit: Oh never mind read that wrong. But the only downside is you would have to be online anytime you want to play Halo 3 now, since the license would be on your brother's console.

You are correct about not being able to play offline but since we were discussing playing mp games together I figured that didnt matter. It has already been 100% confirmed that you can be playing a sp game while someone on your share list access the same game.

You are correct about not being able to play offline but since we were discussing playing mp games together I figured that didnt matter. It has already been 100% confirmed that you can be playing a sp game while someone on your share list access the same game.

But it's not confirmed 2 people can game online with one copy, right? As in multiplayer/co-op.

Where are you getting that two people can play with one license simultaneously? Link? i haven't seen that anywhere.

1. i don't trust anything MS says at this point.
2. MS could come out today and say "you can have TEN friends borrowing the same game all at the same time!" and i wouldn't trust them to keep it that way very long.

But it's not confirmed 2 people can game online with one copy, right?

Right, Major Nelson said he didnt think you could play a mp game at the same time but he isnt sure. He is going to put up a blog this week with all the answers about game sharing he said.

Where are you getting that two people can play with one license simultaneously? Link? i haven't seen that anywhere.

I posted a link earlier to Major Nelson saying that you can absolutely play the same sp game as 1 other person on your share list at the same time. You can also use the same profile to download any game twice like I explained earlier. You can already do that on 360, and PS3 for most digital games.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
2. MS could come out today and say "you can have TEN friends borrowing the same game all at the same time!" and i wouldn't trust them to keep it that way very long.

Even if they did say that 10 people could share the game and play online at the same time, do people actually think that EA/publishers would be cool with it? The entirety of Madden gaf would have to buy 3 total copies of the game...think of the savings!

Rorschach

Even if they did say that 10 people could share the game and play online at the same time, do people actually think that EA/publishers would be cool with it? The entirety of Madden gaf would have to buy 3 total copies of the game...think of the savings!

It can only be family members anyway. And Major Nelson says you have to log off for another person to play the game in his example of father and son (who is away at college) playing the same game.

It can only be family members anyway. And Major Nelson says you have to log off for another person to play the game in his example of father and son (who is away at college) playing the same game.

No it does not have to be family members.

“I think the policy makes sense,” Spencer says to Penny-Arcade. “It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently, but when you think about a real usage scenario, and we thought about it around a family, and I know certain people will create a family group of people that aren’t all part of the same family, and I do think that’s an advantage, and people will use that. I saw it on NeoGAF instantly, the Xbox Family creation threads, where people said 'Hey be a part of my family.'"

that's not true. they specifically said it doesn't ACTUALLY have to be family members and they wouldn't be "checking birth certificates". they got jokes and jokes and jokes!

Right, Major Nelson said he didnt think you could play a mp game at the same time but he isnt sure. He is going to put up a blog this week with all the answers about game sharing he said.
This is the part that i'm confused about. Earlier you said:

Everything i've read about XB1 says you can't do this.

yankeehater said:
I posted a link earlier to Major Nelson saying that you can absolutely play the same sp game as 1 other person on your share list at the same time. You can also use the same profile to download any game twice like I explained earlier. You can already do that on 360, and PS3 for most digital games.
This is different, but I still doubt it's gonna go down that way.

And Major Nelson says you have to log off for another person to play the game in his example of father and son (who is away at college) playing the same game.
This seems far more likely.

This is the part that i'm confused about. Earlier you said:

On xbox 360 my wife and I play Black Ops II together online, we have only purchased 1 copy of the game. I logged my profile into her 360 and downloaded the game. Now the game is tied to her 360 and anyone the logged into that 360 can play the game. I then signed my profile out of her 360 and signed in on my 360, I then re-downloaded Black Ops II and now we can both play it online at the same time. Phil Harrison has already confirmed that digital right will work the same on XB1, so you will be able to play concurrently if you are willing to use the profile swap method, the only question is can two different profiles play the same mp game at the same time on different XB1's.

Milchjon

Thank heavens for internet comments:

tpXfKQg.png

On xbox 360 my wife and I play Black Ops II together online, we have only purchased 1 copy of the game. I logged my profile into her 360 and downloaded the game. Now the game is tied to her 360 and anyone the logged into that 360 can play the game. I then signed my profile out of her 360 and signed in on my 360, I then re-downloaded Black Ops II and now we can both play it online at the same time. Phil Harrison has already confirmed that digital right will work the same on XB1, so you will be able to play concurrently if you are willing to use the profile swap method, the only question is can two different profiles play the same mp game at the same time on different XB1's.

I see. I would be wary of taking an off hand comment like that as gospel though. Especially since no one at MS has clarified that statement with the One.

I see. I would be wary of taking an off hand comment like that as gospel though. Especially since no one at MS has clarified that statement with the One.
this to me has been their biggest fuck up. clearly explain how all this is going to work when you announce so you can avoid the fallout. they look like complete morons right now and they're still unable to answer basic questions.

Rorschach

this to me has been their biggest fuck up. clearly explain how all this is going to work when you announce so you can avoid the fallout. they look like complete morons right now and they're still unable to answer basic questions.

Because it's either worse than what is being put out there, or they haven't exactly ironed everything out.

I know your being sarcastic, I hope anyways.

FMT's vision of MS = Lets steer away from connectivity and just go back to the stone age.

bionic77

FMT's vision of MS = Lets steer away from connectivity and just go back to the stone age.
Who ever said they were against connectivity?

Everyone is against the DRM. The only way MS is going to win them back is with an amazing service and Steam type sales. Voice control over your remote and the power of the cloud won't do it.

i'm not being sarcastic at all. most people commenting on what MS is doing are going back and forth on it. look at major nelson commenting on stuff but saying "well i'm not exactly sure though, i'll get back to you!" i don't trust anything they say at this point.

and when did i diss on connectivity? i love online connectivity and i think every console should have a robust online system, i just don't think it should be forced on users to check in with papa every 24 hours. i dont like having to get permission to sell my games (still not sure how this is going to work and it doesn't sound like MS is either).

if you want to see how connectivity SHOULD be done, then check out what sony is doing with ps4

Top Bottom