• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

squicken

"Watching Christian Ponder out there, the footwork didn't look great," Judd Zulgad of ESPN 1500.com said Wednesday. "The passes didn't look all that sharp.

It's only June and Ponder is playing with new set of receivers. Things aren't going to be perfect. But the Vikings are counting on Ponder's stability in Bill Musgrave's offensive system to lead to major growth. They need major growth. That reportedly hasn't shown up yet in the offseason.

"You know what's not there? Crispness," Zulgad said. "There's not a sharpness. At times you would expect things to look second nature to Ponder. ... That's not what we're seeing so far, but like I said, it's minicamp."

Zulgad's comments caught my eye because they came on the same day ESPN's Adam Schefter wrote that "some believe" Matt Cassel is good enough to challenge for the starting job in Minnesota this year.
It's Ponder's job, but Cassel is probably a better NFL player at this point. This is not a surprise. (Or a good thing for Minnesota's playoff chances.)

Wow could Cassell really start there?

justin smith at 10% is better than any rams defensive player at 100%

At some point the roids and HGH just don't help. Ray Lewis was terrible his last few years. And Justin Smith with one arm was pretty useless in the playoffs

Bread

Banned
Except no one is jealous of the Pats at all. People point and laugh at them for "winning" 3 SB's in 4 years and then not one single SB since they lost their cameras. You cant play the jealousy card at all when the team in question is a fucking laughing stock.
hahahaha omg

this post man, this is great.

Colasante

Except no one is jealous of the Pats at all. People point and laugh at them for "winning" 3 SB's in 4 years and then not one single SB since they lost their cameras. You cant play the jealousy card at all when the team in question is a fucking laughing stock.

I can't believe I even have to respond to this, but to call the Patriots a 'fucking laughing stock' because they haven't won a Super Bowl since 2005 is insane. I will be the first to admit that the Patriots have been mostly pathetic in the playoffs since that time, especially in their two losses to the Ravens, and that they have only beat up on terrible teams (the Jaguars, Broncos, and Texans). Still- they went to two Super Bowls and were two incredible Giants catches (and a Welker drop) away from winning them in that time. Needless to say, the Eagles have zero Super Bowl appearances since 2005.

Since 2007, the Patriots have a .826 win percentage... since then, the Eagles have a .543 win percentage. If your definition of a 'fucking laughing stock' is a team that does not win the Super Bowl, then every team in the NFL besides the Saints, Giants, Steelers, Ravens, and Packers are laughing stocks since 2007. I have no problem with eznark calling the Patriots a laughing stock relative to his perception, since the Packers, with the exception of the 2008 transition season, have been consistently excellent and won a Super Bowl in that time. But to hear it from an Eagles fan, whose team just went 4-12 after presiding over the biggest bust of a free agency class in recent NFL history, is just too much.

I can't believe I even have to respond to this, but to call the Patriots a 'fucking laughing stock' because they haven't won a Super Bowl since 2005 is insane. I will be the first to admit that the Patriots have been mostly pathetic in the playoffs since that time, especially in their two losses to the Ravens, and that they have only beat up on terrible teams (the Jaguars, Broncos, and Texans). Still- they went to two Super Bowls and were two incredible Giants catches (and a Welker drop) away from winning them in that time. Needless to say, the Eagles have zero Super Bowl appearances since 2005.

Since 2007, the Patriots have a .826 win percentage... since then, the Eagles have a .543 win percentage. If your definition of a 'fucking laughing stock' is a team that does not win the Super Bowl, then every team in the NFL besides the Saints, Giants, Steelers, Ravens, and Packers are laughing stocks since 2007. I have no problem with eznark calling the Patriots a laughing stock relative to his perception, since the Packers, with the exception of the 2008 transition season, have been consistently excellent and won a Super Bowl in that time. But to hear it from an Eagles fan, whose team just went 4-12 after presiding over the biggest bust of a free agency class in recent NFL history, is just too much.

No person has ever said that anyone should be jealous of the Eagles. The Pats are a laughing stock because it is 100% clear now that they were never good enough to win a SB and only did so because they were cheating.

Edit: I love that it has gotten to the point where Pats fans have to compare their team to the Eagles. My how the mighty have fallen.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
LOL you are such a sad person. I really thought dragon would be the first console warrior to use that garbage.

How dare you call me a console warrior?! I'm a proud card carrying member of the master race.

old-pc.jpg

eznark

Banned
If you are a Patriots fan and you are crowing about how everyone else needs to be jealous of your vaunted franchise you are essentially conceding the point that you are a bandwagon twat. Before the Cheat the only thing the Patriots were known for is getting their shit pushed in by Ditka and cementing Favre as an All Time Great. They were an irrelevant franchise with a pathetic history known only for abject and miserable failure (and a fuck-awesome logo). One good run doesn't erase that.

:jnc yankeehater isn't even a good troll, he needs to tone it down and maybe people will think he's serious.

I would make a terrible troll since I actually care about the stuff that I argue about. How many lol Pats posts are there on this board every time they fail to win another SB? I am honestly surprised that saying the Pats are a laughing stock is a controversial opinion. People lugh at the Pts for being unable to duplicate their success since losing their cameras, just like people laugh at the Eagles for not having ever won a SB.

If you are a Patriots fan and you are crowing about how everyone else needs to be jealous of your vaunted franchise you are essentially conceding the point that you are a bandwagon twat. Before the Cheat the only thing the Patriots were known for is getting their shit pushed in by Ditka and cementing Favre as an All Time Great. They were an irrelevant franchise with a pathetic history known only for abject and miserable failure (and a fuck-awesome logo). One good run doesn't erase that.

but can you even call it a "good run" when you had to cheat to make the run?

eznark

Banned
but can you even call it a "good run" when you had to cheat to make the run?

We know the real score, FMT, but these kids who are pretending that the Patriots are someone to be envious of...why let the cheating discussion get in the way when it's an unnecessary cul-de-sac on the road to the inescapable conclusion that the Patriots, when looked at as a whole, are a fucking joke organization.

Now, only some teams get to laugh at the joke but that doesn't make it any less funny.

"I think they're an up-and-coming team," Dahl said. "I think they have a lot of great talent, a good coaching staff, and a lot of young guys played well for the Rams last year. They're definitely going to be a team to watch out for."

Dahl said the Rams definitely got up to play the 49ers. The Rams twice took the 49ers to overtime, tying in the team's first meeting at Candlestick Park before beating the 49ers in St. Louis.

"I know in St. Louis, the mentality was we always looked up to the 49ers as the staple of the NFC West," Dahl said. "They had the target on their back, the 49ers did. And we were out there gunning for them, and everyone seemed to raise their level of play that week."

craigh dahl already becoming accustomed to the 49ers way. you just go about your business in a professional manner while all the other loud mouth jokers like the seachickens and rams do the talking.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
We know the real score, FMT, but these kids who are pretending that the Patriots are someone to be envious of...why let the cheating discussion get in the way when it's an unnecessary cul-de-sac on the road to the inescapable conclusion that the Patriots, when looked at as a whole, are a fucking joke organization.

Now, only some teams get to laugh at the joke but that doesn't make it any less funny.

I'm also a card carrying member of the NFL master race!

At some point the roids and HGH just don't help. Ray Lewis was terrible his last few years. And Justin Smith with one arm was pretty useless in the playoffs

Thats surprising, I had read some reports that Ponder had looked like he took some steps forward.

MechDX

39728-Damn-good-stuff-sir-evBa.gif

bionic77

Pats fans are disgusting bandwagoners but last night Miami disgraced itself and earned itself the title of worst fans of all time.

I applaud the Heat staff for not letting the fans back in for OT. If I were in charge I would have gone a step further and tasered anyone that asked after they bailed on their team.

Dolphin fans do you have any response?

Colasante

This is a bit of a boring argument. You win, the Patriots are cheaters. They suck.

Meanwhile, apparently Aaron Hernandez shot a guy in the face in February. Greg Bedard says he has the court documents to prove it. Now it's getting serious. This must have been how it felt to watch the Roman Empire collapse.

This is a bit of a boring argument. You win, the Patriots are cheaters. They suck.

Meanwhile, apparently Aaron Hernandez shot a guy in the face in February. Greg Bedard says he has the court documents to prove it. Now it's getting serious. This must have been how it felt to watch the Roman Empire collapse.

D:

D:

D:

cdyhybrid

Pats fans are disgusting bandwagoners but last night Miami disgraced itself and earned itself the title of worst fans of all time.

I applaud the Heat staff for not letting the fans back in for OT. If I were in charge I would have gone a step further and tasered anyone that asked after they bailed on their team.

I don't think our Dolphin regulars are Heat fans. I could be wrong though.

MechDX

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/19/aaron...ub/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was sued earlier this month for allegedly shooting a man in the face following an altercation at a Miami strip club ... TMZ has learned.

The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Florida on June 13 -- five days before investigators searched the NFL star's Massachusetts home in connection with a homicide investigation that appears to be unrelated.

According to the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ, Hernandez and Alexander S. Bradley went to Tootsie's Cabaret in Miami on February 13, 2013 ... and during the outing, the two men got into an argument.

Bradley claims ... After the dispute, both men left the club -- and got into the same car which was heading to Palm Beach. During the ride, Aaron allegedly aimed his weapon at Bradley ... and the gun discharged, striking Bradley in the face.

Bradley claims he suffered major injuries from the gunshot ... including the loss of his right eye.

Bradley also claimed he required major surgery to reconstruct his face ... which required plates and screws. Bradley also claims he suffered damage to his right hand and arm, which also required surgery.

There's more -- Bradley claims Aaron was not licensed to carry a firearm in the first place.

Bradley demanded more than $100,000.

And the hits just keep on comin!

squicken

Aaron Hernandez shot a man at a Florida strip club earlier this year

, Hernandez and Alexander S. Bradley went to Tootsie's Cabaret in Miami on February 13, 2013 ... and during the outing, the two men got into an argument.

Bradley claims ... After the dispute, both men left the club -- and got into the same car which was heading to Palm Beach. During the ride, Aaron allegedly aimed his weapon at Bradley ... and the gun discharged, striking Bradley in the face.

Bradley claims he suffered major injuries from the gunshot ... including the loss of his right eye.

Bradley also claimed he required major surgery to reconstruct his face ... which required plates and screws. Bradley also claims he suffered damage to his right hand and arm, which also required surgery.

There's more -- Bradley claims Aaron was not licensed to carry a firearm in the first place.

Bradley demanded more than $100,000.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/19/aaron...-gun-shooting-miami-strip-club/#ixzz2WgbuRxw4
Visit Fishwrapper: http://www.fishwrapper.com

Fantomex

Back in the day the Patriots were famous for getting punched in the face from future GM's.

The incident happened at the L.A. Coliseum on Jan. 5, 1986, after an AFC divisional playoff game between New England and the heavily favored Raiders. Everyone remembers Millen's role, but few remember that the whole thing centered on Long. Long was a Boston guy, from Charlestown—a section of Boston that charmingly birthed the term "townie." He had no warm spot for the Patriots, though. He had spent the week leading up to the game taking shots at the front office and even tweaked the Patriots and their bandwagoner fanbase, contrasting them with those of the Red Sox and Celtics. "I don't think anyone back there bleeds red, white and blue," he said.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

squicken

Shooting possibly drug related

As police investigation the circumstances surrounding the death of an “associate” of Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, the case includes whether the incident involved drugs.

According to the Boston Globe (which has temporarily lifted its pay wall for the story, meaning that more than five people will read it), two unnamed law-enforcement officials said detectives are trying to determine whether the apparent murder is drug related.

Hernandez failed multiple drug tests at the University of Florida, greasing the skids for a slide to round four of the draft.

Colasante

The lawsuit sounds like horseshit. How is it possible for a man to be shot in the face by a professional athlete and no criminal charges to be filed? Putting aside any Spygate 'burned the evidence' jokes, that sounds like serious nonsense. But still, this is an awful look for Hernandez, even if he's proven 100% innocent. I could see a serious suspension coming his way.

And I'm on the verge of being very disappointed in him as a Patriots fan, because after receiving his contract extension last year Hernandez spoke about how he had become more responsible since joining the team and how he had to mature in order to look after his newborn daughter.

Nah. Just the media being the twats that they are. I loved Reggie's take on them when they were bashing the Raider's QBs.

McKenzie on QB evaluations by beat writers: "If they were really good, I'd probably get them into one of these scouting jobs."

The lawsuit sounds like horseshit. How is it possible for a man to be shot in the face by a professional athlete and no criminal charges to be filed? Putting aside any Spygate 'burned the evidence' jokes, that sounds like serious nonsense. But still, this is an awful look for Hernandez, even if he's proven 100% innocent. I could see a serious suspension coming his way.

And I'm on the verge of being very disappointed in him as a Patriots fan, because after receiving his contract extension last year Hernandez spoke about how he had become more responsible since joining the team and how he had to mature in order to look after his newborn daughter.

Just claim it was an accidental discharge or something, and then pay the victim a cool mil to go along with the story.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Damn. So Hernandez did try to go the RayRay double homicide route. But using a gun instead of a manly shiv loses him style points.

Jim Rome was playing clips of a tv station interviewing people leaving the arena crying about the terrible loss. Just fantastic fans.

Top Bottom