• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

I'm gonna advise you against a Vita once more Bionic.

You strike me as similar to myself in gaming tastes and free time. Vita does have a decent category if you're willing to play just anything, but many of its titles aren't worth the entry price.

Vita like Wii U is a gamers' platform - meaning you have to be willing to try a variety of games at a steady clip in order to enjoy it. buying one or two titles every 3 months isn't worth the entry fee.

JABEE

I'm gonna advise you against a Vita once more Bionic.

You strike me as similar to myself in gaming tastes and free time. Vita does have a decent category if you're willing to play just anything, but many of its titles aren't worth the entry price.

Vita like Wii U is a gamers' platform - meaning you have to be willing to try a variety of games at a steady clip in order to enjoy it. buying one or two titles every 3 months isn't worth the entry fee.
But Tearaway.

Vita gets sports titles.

It's the home of Indie games.

Don't listen. Trust in FV and me! Have I ever steered you wrong?

ChanHuk

Banned
You can buy a used Vita off Cowboom or like $130 they're in okay condition from what I've read. The Vita is a good buy for bionic if he's never had a PSP before. But a PSP is a JRPG gamer's dream.

You can buy a used Vita off Cowboom or like $130 they're in okay condition from what I've read. The Vita is a good buy for bionic if he's never had a PSP before. But a PSP is a JRPG gamer's dream.
I agree. It's not just the Vita library. Add in the access to the PSP stuff, Playstation Classic titles (Love the original Silent Hill on the thing!) and it's a nice piece of tech if you're looking at getting a new tech toy to play around with.

JABEE

bionic just stick to the 3DS.

Vita isnt worth it unless you're a hardcore gamer.
I love my 3DS. Animal Crossing is awesome. I wish I had an XL. I have the limited edition Zelda 3DS.

3DLand, NSMB, and AC:NL are the best. I can't get into Kid Icarus with the controls and stupid stand.

But Tearaway.

Vita gets sports titles.

It's the home of Indie games.

Don't listen. Trust in FV and me! Have I ever steered you wrong?

Normally I would say go for it but Bionic constantly complains about having no free time and/or not wasting it on video games so I doubt highly he's gonna invest in the library.

Normally I would say go for it but Bionic constantly complains about having no free time and/or not wasting it on video games so I doubt highly he's gonna invest in the library.
Sort of why I'm advocating it. He doesn't really have to. He could buy the thing and live off of a PS+ subscription without having to invest much into a library at all. He can pick and choose cheaper downloadable titles which are nicely discounted through Plus as well.

Nakazato

Ill confirm this. I got a grade 5 looked like it just came out the box great condition. 134 for 3dsXL right now

bionic77

I love my 3DS. Animal Crossing is awesome. I wish I had an XL. I have the limited edition Zelda 3DS.

3DLand, NSMB, and AC:NL are the best. I can't get into Kid Icarus with the controls and stupid stand.
You sir are a moron!

I will think on the Vita guys. 330 seems steep though. Man the Vita and U seem too expensive for what they offer. I want another PC but I am waiting until we move into our next house and I build the dream office/sports/game room before I get that. I will have a couch, a nice computer chair, a big ass monitor and a 40"ish HDTV. As long as I get that and a garage for my car I don't give a fuck about the rest of the house. My wife can figure the rest out.

Seems like a trip to Bloomingdales is probably what will happen.

Sort of why I'm advocating it. He doesn't really have to. He could buy the thing and live off of a PS+ subscription without having to invest much into a library at all. He can pick and choose cheaper downloadable titles which are nicely discounted through Plus as well.

You're the reason why i'm chiming up to begin with. You seem to play a lot of games so your opinion is that of someone who plays a lot, not of one who plays sparingly.

If he decides to get one then rock on. I just wanted to give the other side.

bionic77

I don't want another monthly service.

Fuck PS+ and Live. I will stick to discs and carts until I die.

JABEE

You sir are a moron!

I will think on the Vita guys. 330 seems steep though. Man the Vita and U seem too expensive for what they offer. I want another PC but I am waiting until we move into our next house and I build the dream office/sports/game room before I get that. I will have a couch, a nice computer chair, a big ass monitor and a 40"ish HDTV. As long as I get that and a garage for my car I don't give a fuck about the rest of the house. My wife can figure the rest out.

Seems like a trip to Bloomingdales is probably what will happen.
I tried. I'm just stuck in Animal Crossing now. 3DLand and Animal Crossing are the best games on the 3DS!

I don't want another monthly service.

Fuck PS+ and Live. I will stick to discs and carts until I die.
These two things are not comparable right now. If you're not getting PS+ - then skip the Vita. You're just letting free games sit out there for a want to save $50 at that point.

I got over 300 dollars worth of Vita shit so PSN+ paid for its self

It's an absolute steal. Best value in gaming right now.

You're the reason why i'm chiming up to begin with. You seem to play a lot of games so your opinion is that of someone who plays a lot, not of one who plays sparingly.

If he decides to get one then rock on. I just wanted to give the other side.
Sure. Understandable. If he barely has time to play a 3DS, there's no point in investing in another gaming platform. Whether it be a Vita or a Wii U.

cashman

Banned
So how is PS+ better over live? I'm really curious, haven't kept up with gaming news until recently. I know abut the free games but Live is starting to offer those now.

JABEE

So how is PS+ better over live? I'm really curious, haven't kept up with gaming news until recently. I know abut the free games but Live is starting to offer those now.
Not comparable.

Xbox is giving away four year old games away every month until the Xbox One launch. It's a temporary program.

Plus is giving away SR3, Deus Ex, XCom, Uncharted 3, etc. That's just this month. Over the last year I've added dozens of 6-18 month old games to my download list.

There will also be free plus games on PS4. Three indie new releases and Drive Club + edition in the first month.

That is not even including PS3 and Vita Plus which still will be supported and apply across the sub.

Vita has had Uncharted, Disgaea, Wipeout, Retro City Rampage, Gravity Rush etc.

This doesn't include day one discounts on new releases of like 20% and deep discount PSN sales of like 66% whenever they have sales.

bionic77

The free games are nice but it is really just a glorified rental. I just hate the idea of paying a monthly service for games. Would have loved that when I was a kid though. Rented a fuck ton of games back then.

cashman

Banned
Not comparable.

Xbox is giving away four year old games away every month until the Xbox One launch. It's a temporary program.

Plus is giving away SR3, Deus Ex, XCom, Uncharted 3, etc. That's just this month. Over the last year I've added dozens of 6-18 month old games to my download list.

There will also be free plus games on PS4. Three indie new releases and Drive Club + edition in the first month.

That is not even including PS3 and Vita Plus which still will be supported and apply across the sub.

Vita has had Uncharted, Disgaea, Wipeout, Retro City Rampage, Gravity Rush etc.

This doesn't include day one discounts on new releases of like 20% and deep discount PSN sales of like 66% whenever they have sales.

Woah, that's a really nice list. Will those titles will still be around come November?

JABEE

The free games are nice but it is really just a glorified rental. I just hate the idea of paying a monthly service for games. Would have loved that when I was a kid though. Rented a fuck ton of games back then.
That's true. It's more like Netflix. The longer you stay subscribed the more games you can add to the download list. If you decide to re subscribe you will regain access to all of the games that were available during the time of your previous subscription. I have basically all of the free content they have given away.

It's a great deal. It applies and is supported across all of the PS Platforms. It's worth it to me.

JABEE

Woah, that's a really nice list. Will those titles will still be around come November?
XCom sticks around I think. Saints Row cycles. But the cool thing is they will replace SR with another cool recently released game when they take it off.

If you buy one month or find a trial you can add those games to your DL list and use them when you resubscribe in November.

Dont you just pay a one time yearly fee for ps plus?
Yep. It's $50 bucks.

http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation_plus/

Instant game collection. Works across all Sony platforms. Discounts like crazy on new and catalog titles. Indie titles are regularly discounted. It pays for itself very quickly as mentioned.

They get cycled out on a regular basis. Some may not be. The best thing to do is sign up, click to download the title and it will be added to your transaction history. You don't have to download it then and there. You can always download it later as it sits in your history forever.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So basically, I can get ps+ and never really worry about buying a game again? The majority of games that I buy now are older games that have lowered in price (i.e. it's almost time for the Steam summer sale!), but now I can just wait until they hit ps+ and play them then. This is starting to become intriguing.

Wait. How are developers ok with this but against used games?

JABEE

So basically, I can get ps+ and never really worry about buying a game again? The majority of games that I buy now are older games that have lowered in price (i.e. it's almost time for the Steam summer sale!), but now I can just wait until they hit ps+ and play them then. This is starting to become intriguing.

I believe Sony pats developers a large percent of the price of the download as if it what actually sold in their PSN store. So someone downloading a free game on PS3 counts as half of an actual sale as if there was an actual price or something.

Yep. You could live off of a Plus sub if you don't do much gaming day one.

Publishers hate used game to a limited extent. First month or so. They dislike the GameStops of the world offering a $5 cheaper alternative within that first month because it's eating into the primary sales period of a game. Once you get past that, the hate for used games is a bit overblown. You're not generally going to see day one titles being added to PS+ but if a games been on the market for 6 months - yeah, they've moved past that "prime" sales period.

Also, publishers/developers can be a bit short sighted when it comes to used games. Ask retailers and they'll tell you that a good percentage of NEW game sales happen because of trade-ins. Eliminate the trade-ins...

bionic77

Because 150% of sales for AAA games occur in the first few months. Nintendo is the only company that seems to focus on long term sales.

brentech

I'm sure Sony pays them something for the titles that go free. The discounts. They probably give the okay on?
Who knows. I'm sure they don't just arbitrarily give shit away.

Even if you're not hot on a free title, always put it in shopping cart and check out. You can download whenever you like. Even if you let plus expire, if you resub at a later date it will be activated again for you on download list as long as you checked out with it.

JABEE

I'm sure Sony pays them something for the titles that go free. The discounts. They probably give the okay on?
Who knows. I'm sure they don't just arbitrarily give shit away.
Publishers seem to like it because it gives them a chance to make money on games that like Bionic said make most of their money in the first month of a game's release.

They usually put them on Plus when a new game in a series is about to be announced. Gives public more exposure to franchise and gives publishers some revenue off of stagnant titles.

It is a rental service. If you game a lot, it's a really good deal. I used the free month or whatever it was after the big hack and kind of liked it and then got a year. It was good, but I simply don't game as much as I used to so I never picked it up again when the year ran out. Since then, it does seem like they offer better games.

brentech

Publishers seem to like it because it gives them a chance to make money on games that like Bionic said make most of their money in the first month of a game's release.

They usually put them on Plus when a new game in a series is about to be announced. Gives public more exposure to franchise and gives publishers some revenue off of stagnant titles.
Yea. I've noticed that trend as well. I really love the system. Been a member for a few years now. Little before the outage occurred.

Being that only buy a select few games on release each year, it really works out for me. I also own a Vita so double whammy there.

Do you like indie games, jrpgs, sports, and niche games? Get a Vita. Want to play a game for awhile and then set the Vita down and not play it for two months and not feel guilty? Get a Vita. However do not buy a Sony product without PS+ at this point. I got my Vita for $180 on craigslist, brand new, and flipped the two games and memory card for $50 and bought the 32 gig stick on amazon.

cashman

Banned
They get cycled out on a regular basis. Some may not be. The best thing to do is sign up, click to download the title and it will be added to your transaction history. You don't have to download it then and there. You can always download it later as it sits in your history forever.

Can I do this without a PS3 or vita?

MechDX

I would use my PS3 more for gaming if I could get a damn controller with offset analog sticks that does not have insane dead zones on the sticks. I've tried 3 different controllers and they ALL have the same dead zone in the analog sticks!

Ill confirm this. I got a grade 5 looked like it just came out the box great condition. 134 for 3dsXL right now
You guys are selling me on this website! never heard of it, but I would buy anyone of those handhelds at that price. Infact i might!

Bionic, if you get a Vita you have to check out the PSN game Velocity Ultra. It's an updated version of an incredible PS Mini game called Velocity and I'm pretty sure it comes out July 9th or so. Also, considering you didn't own a PSP the Vita is pretty much a no-brainer, especially if you like Japanese games.

In other news, my wife picked the worst time ever to have a kidney stone. They brought her into the hospital yesterday at 2:30 and I've been here ever since, but thankfully she finally passed the hellish little thing. Good news is it didn't affect the baby at all, but man what a weekend.

Top Bottom