• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Gunsmithx

Crazy news on Hernandez, Since we don't know what charges he was arrested on you have to think it was more then Obstruction of justice(since nfl team security is plugged into local law enforcement)

eznark

Banned
lol. Notice their was no live TV or a news helicopter circling today? Local news is busy. This also would have made national news, even if just a blurb, on CNN/ABC.CBS. Not today

It won't become a huge issue until the trial and even then not until there is actual football being played, thats when the circus starts. Maybe Kraft can buy the gubmint and they will hold a closed military tribunal and just ship him to Gitmo. Or Obama can drone him.

Hernandez trying to hole up at the Patriots complex is awesome though since it gives a great angle for ESPN tards to bombard the org with questions regarding knowledge and involvement of personnel.

It won't become a huge issue until the trial. Maybe Kraft can buy the gubmint and they will hold a closed military tribunal and just ship him to Gitmo. Or Obama can drone him.

Doubt that now that the Pats have cut him. Only reason this was ever big news was because he was a professional athlete. Now he's just some thug.

BigAT

Way less as a percentage or as a raw number? I mean obviously they have fewer arrests, there are like 1/20th of the players in the league.

No clue what the percentage numbers are, but I read today that 29 NFL players have been arrested just in the time since the Super Bowl ended. I'm not trying to compare the leagues at all, but that seems like a really high number for such a short period of time.

TheFatOne

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 9m

Patriots decision to release Hernandez now means well-connected Patriots security dir Mark Briggs thinks this is going to get much worse
Possible reason why the Pats cut him. I definitely trust Bedard.

squicken

wtf why does the LA Times have a pay wall now? I guess those help them with locals, but it sure means they won't be read as a national news source anymore

“A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss,” the Patriots announced. “Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”

Great move by New England. Though they probably have an idea what is coming

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
Source with direct knowledge of Hernandez situation tells us: "Assume the worst."

Colasante

He involved the Patriots organization. This won't blow over until he is sentenced.

That's possible, but this won't be a Patriots issue by training camp. Belichick won't answer a single question about Hernandez, and reporters will quickly tire of asking. Likewise, players will be instructed to give no comment. I don't think Belichick cares what people at ESPN or NFL Network are saying about the team.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Way less as a percentage or as a raw number? I mean obviously they have fewer arrests, there are like 1/20th of the players in the league.

I think so. I don't have the exact quote but I really agree in that NBA players are sort of perceived differently by culture while NFL players are often times given a pass. You will have to listen to the podcast but he's still talking about it right now somewhat.

Apples vs. Oranges. How big is a NBA team's roster compared to a NFL team?

I don't remember the number but he mentioned some 20 something NFL arrests since the Super Bowl while there has been like 6-7 in the NBA in a 6 month period. I guess percentages are something but to me, the fact that people in high places even get involved in stuff like that is telling enough.

Bottom line, these guys have to grow up.

Drakeon

wtf why does the LA Times have a pay wall now? I guess those help them with locals, but it sure means they won't be read as a national news source anymore

Source with direct knowledge of Hernandez situation tells us: "Assume the worst."

Has to be that he's being charged with murder right?

I think Pats age deserves some sympathy right now :'(
welker_medium.gif

Milchjon

Schefter:

Browns rookie LB Ausar Walcott has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly punching a man outside a NJ bar.

attempted murder vs obstruction of justice. The rotten Browns culture should be the bigger story today.

eznark

Banned
I think so. I don't have the exact quote but I really agree in that NBA players are sort of perceived differently by culture while NFL players are often times given a pass. You will have to listen to the podcast but he's still talking about it right now somewhat.

I would rather take a one way car ride with Aaron Hernandez.

squicken

I think we should be careful. Hernandez was cut/arrested, but it still does not mean he is guilty.

Ray Lewis never was convicted of murder. Brian Banks and to a lesser extent the Duke lacrosse team were examples of it going the other way. Incompetent local police and district attorneys don't have final say on our ability to have an opinion on these things.

edit: That's a hell of a punch to get attempted murder

Colasante

From ProFootballTalk:

For 2013, the Patriots will carry a $2.5 million charge for the portion of his $12.5 million signing bonus, paid last year. Hernandez’s base salary of $1.323 million is fully guaranteed, and so the cap number will remain $4.073 million unless and until the Patriots can finagle a way to avoid paying him. (Chances are they’ll try.)

Because the move comes after June 1, the balance of the cap charge will apply to 2014. That’s $7.5 million in signing bonus money, and possibly another $1.137 million in guaranteed salary. That’s $8.637 million that the Patriots will carry for Hernandez next year.

The Patriots can, in theory, reduce that money by blocking the guaranteed payment(s) or recovering signing bonus money. As to the bonus money, however, the Patriots have to recover it before they get the cap credit. Also, the decision to release Hernandez could prevent them from getting a penny back in signing bonus money.

Hopefully they're able to recover their guaranteed money. For such a frugal organization, not having $7.5 million available will be pretty rough.

ChanHuk

Banned
A better way to put that would of been "so same sex marriage is legal"........
But that's just me

Since when have I been PC? DOMA struck down, gays can be miserable with other married couples, and Pats fans are in disarray. Now I'm drinking coffee, great morning.

LiquidMetal14

Tattoos bro THEY ARE VISIBLE

Those NBA thugs!

I think Colin mentioned something about us being able to see the NBA players and their faces compared to the uniforms which give us a different impression of NFL players with their helmets.

He also makes some good points on Alex Rodriguez but that's a little more OT :)

Hey Squicken, do you a rundown of all the evidence against him?

Talon

Colin is making some good points about the parity with NBA and NFL arrests. NBA is considered the "thug" league but have WAY less arrests and stuff like this happening. NFL doesn't get a free pass.
First of all, gross, you're listening to Cowherd.

Second of all,

450 players on rosters in the NBA
1696 + 256 (PS) players on rosters in the NFL

LiquidMetal14

First of all, gross, you're listening to Cowherd.

Second of all,

450 players on rosters in the NBA
1696 + 256 (PS) players on rosters in the NFL

Fair point. I guess the main point is that you don't see these types of stories about murder as much in the NBA as the NFL. Considering the higher roster counts in NFL, it about balances out but you still have a high number in the NFL. Higher than it should be.

Love anyone with a unique opinion. Colin included :p

So now who will Brady throw to, since all his targets are injured, traded or murderers?

I guess we'll see him elevate no-name receivers to greatness just like he used to.

LiquidMetal14

In a semi NFL related note, Chip Kelley escaped the jaws into the green pastures of NFL-hood. Tell me it's not convenient for him to leave now and then the school gets 3 years probation.

squicken

In a semi NFL related note, Chip Kelley escaped the jaws into the green pastures of NFL-hood. Tell me it's not convenient for him to leave now and then the school gets 3 years probation.

The NCAA is sketchy, but then so is Cheatin' Chip!. Hopefully he won't keep cheating like Pete has in SEA, though his special "nutrient" shakes in Philly means that is unlikely

eznark

Banned
Fair point. I guess the main point is that you don't see these types of stories about murder as much in the NBA as the NFL. Considering the higher roster counts in NFL, it about balances out but you still have a high number in the NFL. Higher than it should be.

Love anyone with a unique opinion. Colin included :p

Some former NBA dude was just indicted on murder and no one gives a fuck. It's a combination of the NBA in general just being super niche and the fact that there are fewer players.

Colasante

So now who will Brady throw to, since all his targets are injured, traded or murderers?

I guess we'll see him elevate no-name receivers to greatness just like he used to.

I'm guessing the final 53 will have wide receivers Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, UDFA Kenbrell Thompkins, Michael Jenkins, and Julian Edelman, with Michael Hoo Man, Daniel Fells, Jake Ballard, and Zach Sudfeld at tight end. It's not an encouraging group.

TheFatOne

He will do some of this, but he isn't as good as he once was. Offense will definitely struggle out of the gate though.
I'm guessing the final 53 will have wide receivers Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, UDFA Kenbrell Thompkins, Michael Jenkins, and Julian Edelman, with Michael Hoo Man, Daniel Fells, Jake Ballard, and Zach Sudfeld at tight end. It's not an encouraging group.

You forgot Tebow at TE. Tebow will save us.

Top Bottom