• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Teddy might not have the flash, proto size/arm strength and athleticism, but I'd take him on me team any fucking day. Kid can play, don't give a shit about his frame either, you can't fucking touch QBs these days.

But if you needed a QB, would you draft any of these guys over Clowney? A lot of shaky backups were able to tread water this year behind solid rosters

LJ11

But if you needed a QB, would you draft any of these guys over Clowney? A lot of shaky backups were able to tread water this year behind solid rosters

Do you feel like the teams at the top of the draft are solid enough, talent wise, to carry a slightly above average QB? Guess that's what you have to ask yourself.

Clowney's a special player, and if you're not planning to do anything for another year or two because your roster isn't that good, fine, you can pass on Bridgewater, but there's no sure thing a year or two from now anyway, that's if you're drafting at or near the top once again.

I guess if you stock up on talent and hire good coaches you can go all in a few years, make a big move, basically do the opposite of what the Redskins did. But how many orgs are that patient and how many are actually given a couple of years to build a solid roster before making a move for a QB?

squicken

Do you feel like the teams at the top of the draft are solid enough, talent wise, to carry a slightly above average QB? Guess that's what you have to ask yourself. ?

I really don't know the answer. I guess if I was the Texans and Jags I would take the QB and spend FA and the rest of the draft making sure he was protected and had targets. Worry about defense and depth in later years. No point drafting a QB and then hiding him like the Jets ended up doing with Geno

Does any one here watch The Tomorrow People? I think that show's pretty awesome also. Not as good as Arrow but I like it more than The Walking Dead.

There was an article in the STL Post-Dispatch about how Snead is kind of a moron for basically saying "we don't want to draft anybody at #2, we want to trade down" rather than trying to spread smoke and rumors about how we're going to ditch Bradford and get a new QB/draft Clowney/etc. It actually mentioned how effective Kroenke's non-appearances/statements about whether the Rams will stay in St. Louis or not and how it completely tips the balance of power in his favor. Now this whole 60-acre purchase in LA comes out and things are going to get even crazier.

Snead could learn a thing or two from his employer.

Suh-Kicks-Schaub-In-The-Nuts-GIF.gif

Weird how that Texans o-lineman threw Suh into Schaub.

I still stand by my "They planned that" statement.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

I've switched my opinion on Los Angeles, my home city, needing a NFL team. The Rams or Raiders should've never left to begin with, but they're gone and a hardcore base for both teams still remains in the city (Raiders especially with the Chargers amd 49ers edging out the Rams).

For one I don't want to take a team away from any city. That just sucks for any fanbase, even one with a low fanbase like the Jaguars. An expansion team would just screw everything up in terms of divisions and would give Goddell the incentive he wants to create a team in London.

Logistically it wouldn't make sense building a stadium in downtown L.A., and if one were to be built in Pomona or somewhere in that area I don't know how many people would fill the seats considering the distance from Downtown/West L.A. The NFL already has a problem filling seats in stadiums right now because the TV experience is better for most people IMO.

Plus you have so many bandwagon Cowboy, Packer, Patriot, flavor of the month fans over here. An expansion team in L.A. would not win over new fans from franchises like the Raiders or Chargers, and if I really wanted to watch a game a 2 hour drive to San Diego isn't bad on a Sunday with no traffic, considering how much most people in Southern California drive anyway.

The Lions play the Cardinals in Arizona again next season, so I may just get a Southwest ticket for $100 or drive to watch them play live. Last NFL game I saw live was a preseason game in San Diego in 2006 with a friend who had free tickets, so I got to see Brent play a little, and some unknown dude at the time named Aaron Rodgers.

overcast

The bandwagon around these parts is going to be fucking atrocious if the Rams do indeed move here. I'll definitely be watching some games though.

Side note, is Watkins the sure fire best WR in the draft? I would rather the Rams move down if they're going to end up grabbing an tackle anyway. If we can pick up a good possession receiver in the mid first round or second round, that would be great. Watkins is tempting though.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So its true the Rams owner bought land in LA suitable to build a stadium on?

Oh wow, I had skipped over RBHs post last page about the Rams owner buying the 60 acre parking lot in Inglewood. Now that is a location that would be perfect if a hypothetical team were to be moved to L.A. Downtown L.A. is way to busy for another sports stadium, Pomona would be far away.

Keep in mind Hollywood Park just closed, and the Great Western Forum (Lakers old Stadium) just got a remodel.

That 60 acre plot of land, plus the Hollywood Park/Western Forum news pretty much confirms to me the Rams will be moving back to L.A.

All this happening at once is not a coincidence.

The Forum aims to rock rival Staples with major renovation

Hollywood Park closes after 75 years.

Just to give non L.A. folk an idea of how close this whole area is in Inglewood (South LA):

100_1539.jpg

Also makes sense in terms of how the Rams can actually now be in the NFC WEST.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Thats a big ass parking lot

Just to be a little more specific that building in the backround is the Great Western Forum. Used to go there to watch Laker games when I watched basketball as a kid and I do remember it having a large parking lot.

Since the Hollywood Race Track is closed now, and useless, I'd imagine they will tear that down and thats where the stadium will be built, next to the "renovated" Forum. It really is the perfect location for a football team in Los Angeles and I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned more as opposed to Downtown L.A..

So yeah, L.A. Rams by 2016 would be my guess. Welcome to L.A. squick and RamsGAF.

jakncoke

Banned
Considering what it takes to get the whole process of moving a team, designing the stadium, building it . I really dont see how they could all that done and approved by 2016. Not to mention they are technically under lease till after 2014 season, If they move too forward while under lease with Edward Jones Dome, couldnt they be facing some sort of lawsuit?

Considering what it takes to get the whole process of moving a team, designing the stadium, building it . I really dont see how they could all that done and approved by 2016. Not to mention they are technically under lease till after 2014 season, If they move too forward while under lease with Edward Jones Dome, couldnt they be facing some sort of lawsuit?

The Rams would play at the Rose Bowl for two seasons while the new joint gets built.

squicken

Oh wow, I had skipped over RBHs post last page about the Rams owner buying the 60 acre parking lot in Inglewood. Now that is a location that would be perfect if a hypothetical team were to be moved to L.A. Downtown L.A. is way to busy for another sports stadium, Pomona would be far away.

It's located between the track and the Forum. The track is being converted to a mixed residential and commercial development. So between the Forum and it's parking lot (which should be big enough for tailgating) and all the entertainment stuff that will get built in the Hollywood Park site, even though 60 acres is just enough room for the stadium itself, there's still plenty of land adjacent for all the other stuff needed for game days and SB hosting activities

The Rose Bowl recently got approval to be the temporary hosts to NFL games, so the Rams could conceivably move after this year, play in the Rose Bowl, and wait for their new stadium to get finished.

Side note, is Watkins the sure fire best WR in the draft? I would rather the Rams move down if they're going to end up grabbing an tackle anyway. If we can pick up a good possession receiver in the mid first round or second round, that would be great. Watkins is tempting though.

He or Mike Evans. Neither guy is considered to be an AJ Green caliber WR. Watkins is very explosive but he's only 6'0" tall. Lacks the height/weight of the bigger WRs. Neither guy is really worth the #2 in this draft, plus WR is deep

jakncoke

Banned
Didnt know about the Rose Bowl temp thing. This seems like it moving full swing. lol b retta sucks to suck. fuck the cardinals!

squicken

Kroenke is a dick, but he's a very rich and connected dick that gets what he wants. That land was owned by Wal-Mart, and both The Forum people and the Hollywood Park people wanted to buy it. But Kroenke is married to one of Sam Walton's daughters and used to be on the Wal-Mart board of directors.

He owns the Avs and Nuggets (but let's his kid run them) as well as Arsenal in the Premier League. He got a stadium built in London, which is a lot harder to do than dealing with all of LA's stuff

Of course he could just flip the land or develop his own hotels and restaurants. But it's certainly pressure on STL if they want to keep the team

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Some Lions news before I go to sleep:

Drew Brees: Lions OC Joe Lombardi is on the cutting edge of creative offensive football

Lombardi was the star quarterback's position coach for the past five years in New Orleans, and they've worked together the past seven years overall. And Brees said the Lions are getting a guy who is an innovator in creative offensive football.

"I feel like we were right on the cutting edge of creativity with what we were able to do with personnel and that kind of thing (in New Orleans)," Brees said Thursday after a promotional appearance with Visa at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel.

"I see some similarities, obviously, to what Detroit has with their offensive personnel. I'm sure he's going to be very creative with those guys. It's just his talent
."

"I think in regards to thought process," Brees said. "We have countless conversations throughout the week on protection. Thought process on certain concepts, on timing of when certain things get called. It allows you to maybe see things from a different perspective and also maybe to add certain elements into your thought process that maybe weren't there before that help you be more efficient."

Brees said part of Lombardi's genius is identifying what players do well, and doing it. And identifying what players don't do well, and forgetting about it.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/01/drew_brees_lions_offensive_coo.html

Joique Bell wants long-term contract with Detroit Lions

"I do understand I'm a free agent, and I understand how the business works," Bell said Wednesday night after performing on Broadway in New York. "I would like to just bypass all this and sign a long-term deal. Just knock it out.

"I don't what to go nowhere, I know the fans don't want me to go nowhere, I know the team doesn't want me to go nowhere, the front office doesn't want me to go anywhere. So let's just make this happen."

Bell made $630,000 last year with the Lions, but is due for a sizeable bump.

"It's out of my hands right now," Bell said. "The only thing I can focus on is next season.

"Like I said, I love this franchise. I grew up watching it. I worked here, always had a dream of playing here, so let's make the best of it."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/01/joique_bell_wants_long-term_co.html

I really like Bell, he's a great RB, and a hometown favorite, but the price has to be right. He grew up in Michigan, went to Wayne State but RBs are pretty disposable. I think we'll end up working things out with him but if not plenty of talent in the draft.

And this one is for SteelersGAF:

Free agent DE Brett Keisel would love to play for Detroit Lions

"No doubt," Keisel said in an interview with 105.1-FM Detroit. "They've got a great team. I really like their quarterback. They've got Megatron. Those guys, I think are going to make some noise next year"

Keisel, 35, also likes what he's seen from Detroit's front seven, especially at defense end.

"I went to BYU, so I'm proud of my boy Ziggy (Ansah) coming in as a rookie and being a key contributor on that defense," Keisel said. "Really, it's amazing, where he's come from, the way he's playing, got into the league and was a first-round pick."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/01/free_agent_de_brett_keisel_wou.html

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, at least the NFC West can soon be ordered according to latitude.

Seriously though, teams belong in their original cities, even if only in name.

jakncoke

Banned
I was just making a joke on your teams belong in their original city comment because the Rams started out in Cleveland and both Rams and Browns have been historically bad

So I'm a pretty passive Vikings fan and I really don't follow them much outside of the actual season.

Does anybody know what position(s) they are targeting for in the draft? Has there been any hints/nods toward them drafting a quarterback? Or are they going to lean toward fixing that defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom