• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Welker will attest Kraft's opinion on who stays really means something.

b1_zps41b86f6ebrsra.gif

Ricker

No Super Bowl OT thread...? wth is going on lol...why is this up before the Super Bowl is even played...I'm confused. :p

effzee

Kroenke is a dick, but he's a very rich and connected dick that gets what he wants. That land was owned by Wal-Mart, and both The Forum people and the Hollywood Park people wanted to buy it. But Kroenke is married to one of Sam Walton's daughters and used to be on the Wal-Mart board of directors.

He owns the Avs and Nuggets (but let's his kid run them) as well as Arsenal in the Premier League. He got a stadium built in London, which is a lot harder to do than dealing with all of LA's stuff

Of course he could just flip the land or develop his own hotels and restaurants. But it's certainly pressure on STL if they want to keep the team

I don't know the history of the Rams too well. Why did they move in the first place?

effzee

Too much of a winz fetish for me, but that's what gets those guys hired and fired

While I agree where he has placed Foles, his reasoning dumb.

Eagles won with Foles at the helm a lot because of the schedule they faced. Teams like the Bucs, Giants, Raiders, Packers without AROD, Detroit without Bush in Philly in a blizzard, the terrible defenses of the Redskins, Bears, and the Cowboys.

Not that I think Foles is garbage or that we need to draft someone but the whole "they won" because they made a switch narrative just isn't true. I bet we could have won just as many games had Vick stayed healthy and we faced the same teams with the same injuries and holes. Our toughest opponents were all during week 2-4 when we faced the Chargers, Chiefs, and Broncos in a row. Other than those games we had probably the easiest schedule in the league.

Its why I think off season for Foles is huge to really take over and be that much better when the season starts.. No one is going to be surprised by him or Chip for that matter. They have film on both and know what to expect when facing the Eagles. If Foles is the guy, makes progress, and improves then sweet but if he isn't and he comes back down to Earth, I bet we finally take a QB in the first round of the draft in 2015.

squicken

I don't know the history of the Rams too well. Why did they move in the first place?

Bad stadium/bad fans and the city wouldn't pay for upgrades. They got an insanely good stadium deal from STL. So good they can just pick up and leave after not paying a cent to build the Dome after just 20 years

Supposedly the owner in Major League is modeled after the Rams owner who moved the team. LA fans think she lost games on purpose to drive the fans away. She was an ex-show girl from STL who married a rich dude that died w/o a will.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Posted this in the CFL thread too but it's pretty amazing. Check out this little video feature on Darnell Docket when he was in HS. What a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxAzRi_iO4Y

Holy shit!

There's a CFL thread?

e: For BG and kave

Trololol

Grossi just needs to admit he has feelings for Lombardi and get it over with.

It's always a sad day when the reporter thinks they are more important then the team.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46154/59/team-needs--and--roster-rankings?pg=1

Team needs and current roster rankings.

Texans only better than Jags and Raiders?

Texans worse then Browns. :eek:

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Fuck you to.

<3

Hey NFLGAF I was going to make a thread on this but I figured I'd ask here first.

I'm going to sell my PS3 on Craigslist cause I really have no time to play the thing with work and all, and Team Fortress 2, Civ 5 and some other Steam games will do me fine until I choose a console this fall.

I've sold my iPod, DS, PSP and games on Craigslist before but never a console. People can check right on the spot if a mobile device works, but what about a console? I don't want them coming into my house obviously, so how would the person I'm selling to be able to verify my console works? Its in great shape, and still has the one year Sony warranty since I bought it last March so I was wondering if anyone has ever sold a console, TV or anything else of that nature on Craigslist. I would use the buy/sell/trade thread but shipping and setting up a Paypal account would be to much of a hassle.

<3

Hey NFLGAF I was going to make a thread on this but I figured I'd ask here first.

I'm going to sell my PS3 on Craigslist cause I really have no time to play the thing with work and all, and Team Fortress 2, Civ 5 and some other Steam games will do me fine until I choose a console this fall.

I've sold my iPod, DS, PSP and games on Craigslist before but never a console. People can check right on the spot if a mobile device works, but what about a console? I don't want them coming into my house obviously, so how would the person I'm selling to be able to verify my console works? Its in great shape, and still has the one year Sony warranty since I bought it last March so I was wondering if anyone has ever sold a console, TV or anything else of that nature on Craigslist. I would use the buy/sell/trade thread but shipping and setting up a Paypal account would be to much of a hassle.

You could try a coffee shop or public library that allows people to plug stuff in, don't know about a tv though...maybe if you can get a tiny monitor but I think as long as it turns on and doesn't get the YLOD you should be ok.

MRSA

Banned
<3

Kind of a hassle. Get an inverter and if you have a small PC monitor bring that. Demo and return the inverter afterwards.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You could try a coffee shop or public library that allows people to plug stuff in, don't know about a tv though...maybe if you can get a tiny monitor but I think as long as it turns on and doesn't get the YLOD you should be ok.

Kind of a hassle. Get an inverter and if you have a small PC monitor bring that. Demo and return the inverter afterwards.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to put it up right now, but I think the coffee shop/library idea is a good idea

bionic77

<3

It's an obsolete console. I would just keep it for Netflix, Bluray and the 7 good games it had.

And you selling your DS is proof that you are insane.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's an obsolete console. I would just keep it for Netflix, Bluray and the 7 good games it had.

And you selling your DS is proof that you are insane.

Yeah, but I'm really swamped with work the next 7-8 months in construction so its physically demanding (plus I handle a lot of paperwork, blueprints etc.), and then I have to come home and try to debate/convince you guys why Matthew Stafford has been and will be a great NFL QB. I mine as well just get the $200 while I can. I plan on keeping some of my games like Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza 3 or any game that may be harder to find in the future.

I have an extra BluRay, and I'll miss Netflix but I'll be waiting for E3 to see whether I get an Xbox One or PS4.

And as for the DS its a great handheld, with great games, but I personally can't get into handhelds. I'll usually play for a little bit and my hands get cramped. I love SRPGs on handhelds but I just don't have as much time to dedicate to all these different games. I gottta manage my gaming time properly nowadays unfortunately.

Do you feel like the teams at the top of the draft are solid enough, talent wise, to carry a slightly above average QB? Guess that's what you have to ask yourself.

Clowney's a special player, and if you're not planning to do anything for another year or two because your roster isn't that good, fine, you can pass on Bridgewater, but there's no sure thing a year or two from now anyway, that's if you're drafting at or near the top once again.

I guess if you stock up on talent and hire good coaches you can go all in a few years, make a big move, basically do the opposite of what the Redskins did. But how many orgs are that patient and how many are actually given a couple of years to build a solid roster before making a move for a QB?

Basically how many teams can do what the Seahawks did, gut their roster, play a bunch of shitty transitional QBs and hope that you hit it big on either a FA or non premium draft pick as your QB.

Just to be a little more specific that building in the backround is the Great Western Forum. Used to go there to watch Laker games when I watched basketball as a kid and I do remember it having a large parking lot.

Since the Hollywood Race Track is closed now, and useless, I'd imagine they will tear that down and thats where the stadium will be built, next to the "renovated" Forum. It really is the perfect location for a football team in Los Angeles and I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned more as opposed to Downtown L.A..

So yeah, L.A. Rams by 2016 would be my guess. Welcome to L.A. squick and RamsGAF.

Probably because its fucking Inglewood.

Downtown LA has been massively renovated over the last 10 years and is actually pretty nice right around Staples.

If you put a stadium in Inglewood you're going to displace a TON of section 8, rent controlled and other low income families. Part of why downtown got renovated was because no one lived there, so there was no one to displace.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Probably because its fucking Inglewood.

Downtown LA has been massively renovated over the last 10 years and is actually pretty nice right around Staples.

If you put a stadium in Inglewood you're going to displace a TON of section 8, rent controlled and other low income families. Part of why downtown got renovated was because no one lived there, so there was no one to displace.

I absolutely agree with you on Downtown L.A. Its been hugely improved ever since the Staples Center, and its my favorite part of LA to visit/party other than Pasadena. But it would be too much work and hassle to find a spot in Downtown L.A. combined with all the traffic and congestion it would create.

Inglewood is garbage, but they can make that specific area in that pic I posted nice. You'll never be able to change the area around it, but you can create a nice green zone in that huge area that the Great Western Forum and Hollywood Park occupy. On top of that it can give the local community of people in Inglewood jobs and work. Its a win/win situation.

Maybe they can build some restaurants, bars, clubs around the area as well for extra jobs for the local area.

And as for the Section 8, the construction industry doesn't call it that anymore. I can tell you that new apartment complexes being built in L.A. has improved drastically from the garbage they would build in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Most of the work we get through construction is controlled rent housing, and the apartments are actually pretty damn nice. We did a project on Crenshaw Blvd. a few years ago that was a nice 50 unit or so project that included solar panels and nice cabinets and all that.

Its no longer "Section 8" its "low income housing" and honestly the city of L.A. is improving greatly in that sense.

MechDX

Not coming to #Texans. RT @coachingsearch: Per source, former #Patriots assistant Pepper Johnson will join the Buffalo Bills staff.

Via Twitter

Traitorous bastard

I absolutely agree with you on Downtown L.A. Its been hugely improved ever since the Staples Center, and its my favorite part of LA to visit/party other than Pasadena. But it would be too much work and hassle to find a spot in Downtown L.A. combined with all the traffic and congestion it would create.

Inglewood is garbage, but they can make that specific area in that pic I posted nice. You'll never be able to change the area around it, but you can create a nice green zone in that huge area that the Great Western Forum and Hollywood Park occupy. On top of that it can give the local community of people in Inglewood jobs and work. Its a win/win situation.

Maybe they can build some restaurants, bars, clubs around the area as well for extra jobs for the local area.

And as for the Section 8, the construction industry doesn't call it that anymore. I can tell you that new apartment complexes being built in L.A. has improved drastically from the garbage they would build in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Most of the work we get through construction is controlled rent housing, and the apartments are actually pretty damn nice. We did a project on Crenshaw Blvd. a few years ago that was a nice 50 unit or so project that included solar panels and nice cabinets and all that.

Its no longer "Section 8" its "low income housing" and honestly the city of L.A. is improving greatly in that sense.

When did they stop calling it section 8? Cause I still see that term when I look for housing.

Sure they cooooould make it nice, I just expect them to have similar issues that USC faced when they started trying to expand their reach. The long time local residents got pissy about gentrification (with good reason) and the increased cost of living.

Then again I think most neighborhoods that aren't stupid expensive currently in LA will face this issue eventually. Venice is fighting it, Playa has been fighting it, etc etc.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
When did they stop calling it section 8? Cause I still see that term when I look for housing.

Sure they cooooould make it nice, I just expect them to have similar issues that USC faced when they started trying to expand their reach. The long time local residents got pissy about gentrification (with good reason) and the increased cost of living.

Then again I think most neighborhoods that aren't stupid expensive currently in LA will face this issue eventually. Venice is fighting it, Playa has been fighting it, etc etc.

Honestly, between the subcontractors, general contractors and superintendents no one refers to it as Section 8. Its low income housing.

As for the paperwork that potential applicants fill out, I'm pretty damn sure it doesn't say Section 8 on it anymore. I'll have to get back to you on that, because we're working on a 60 unit, low income housing project in L.A. right now and like I said it's a really nice building with top notch plumbing, electricians, cabinets etc.

Section 8 has a negative connotation to it obviously so it's not used anymore. Things can't change overnight, but the new low income housing is much, much better than before.

bionic77

Yeah, but I'm really swamped with work the next 7-8 months in construction so its physically demanding (plus I handle a lot of paperwork, blueprints etc.), and then I have to come home and try to debate/convince you guys why Matthew Stafford has been and will be a great NFL QB. I mine as well just get the $200 while I can. I plan on keeping some of my games like Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza 3 or any game that may be harder to find in the future.

I have an extra BluRay, and I'll miss Netflix but I'll be waiting for E3 to see whether I get an Xbox One or PS4.

And as for the DS its a great handheld, with great games, but I personally can't get into handhelds. I'll usually play for a little bit and my hands get cramped. I love SRPGs on handhelds but I just don't have as much time to dedicate to all these different games. I gottta manage my gaming time properly nowadays unfortunately.
Your love for Fatford and your inability to love the DS is not healthy.

I suggest professional help immediately.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Your love for Fatford and your inability to love the DS is not healthy.

I suggest professional help immediately.

Aside from the fact that he is one of the best QBs in the world, how could you not love a face like this at the very least?

matthew-stafford-football-headshot-photo.jpg

matt_stafford_blog1.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/01...s-had-opposing-playbooks-before-facing-teams/

During the final day of Radio Row in New York City in preparation for the Super Bowl in New Jersey on Sunday Renaldo Wynn sat down with Mike Meltser & Seth Payne on SportsRadio 610&#8242;s MaD Radio.
Payne and Wynn played together for the Jacksonville Jaguars, and when Payne brought up their success and coming up one win short of the Super Bowl while playing in Jacksonville, Wynn dropped a bombshell about the Jaguars loss in the 1999 AFC Championship game to the Tennessee Titans.
“You know why we fell short in that AFC Championship game? After that I ended up getting coached by Gregg Williams. And Greg Williams was, at the time, defensive coordinator by the Tennessee Titans,” Wynn told Payne & Meltser “First thing he said when he came in the door was ‘Hey, you know why you lost?’ With a lot of other explicit words with that. He said he had our play book. Greg Williams had our play book. Our game-plan on offense. [He] had our playbook.”
Payne thought Wynn wouldn’t know how Williams acquired the playbook but Wynn surprised the hosts, “I know how he got them,” Wynn said. “He started getting playbooks when I was with him.” Wynn did not elaborate at the time about how Williams received the playbooks.

Hmm.....

squicken

lol ex-players say dumb shit to get attention. he'll back off those comments in a few days. all the crap Williams supposedly did in New Orleans and that never came out, either from him or players? doesn't pass the smell test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom