• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

The Broncos have Eric Decker, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Zane Beadles, Shaun Phillips, and Knowshon Moreno, among many others, as UFAs this offseason and I imagine they'd like to bring back DRC, Phillips, and maybe Decker. In addition, oft-concussed Wes Welker has an $8 million cap hit this season. I wonder if he could be a potential surprise cut.

jakncoke

Banned
The younger QB is 11-2 in last 13 SBs. Before that, just 12-20 (.375). Not sure what to do with that. Elite QBs means playoffs are a lock, but ceiling limited? Just small sample size noise?

Maybe much like the afc/nfc swings. There is also swings in this. Would have to wait 20-30 years to see if there was evidence of another swing back to older qbs winning.

The Broncos have Eric Decker, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Zane Beadles, Shaun Phillips, and Knowshon Moreno, among many others, as UFAs this offseason and I imagine they'd like to bring back DRC, Phillips, and maybe Decker. In addition, oft-concussed Wes Welker has an $8 million cap hit this season. I wonder if he could be a potential surprise cut.

I would love for Denver to cut Wes and the Eagles grab him. I read the other day that Avant had the lowest catch rate of any slot WR and he is slow as fuck. Please replace him Howie.

I don't think they will bring Decker back. They plan to let him test free agency and they view him as a #2 but some other team might view him as a number one option and give him big money. That is fine with me, our dollars need to be spent on the secondary and the d-line.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
According to Fox, Super Bowl XLVIII drew the largest audience on average for any televised program in U.S. history, with 111.5 million people tuning to see the Seahawks defeat the Broncos 43-8 at MetLife Stadium on Sunday night.

According to Fox, the average audience for Super Bowl XLVIII bests the previous record of 111.3 million for Super Bowl XLVI between the Patriots and Giants on NBC.

The game drew a 44.5 rating at kickoff, which is a record, Fox said, with the rating reaching as high as 47.9 between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Eastern, according to the network.

---

Are there conjugal visits at the NFL-gaf prison?

According to Fox, Super Bowl XLVIII drew the largest audience on average for any televised program in U.S. history, with 111.5 million people tuning to see the Seahawks defeat the Broncos 43-8 at MetLife Stadium on Sunday night.

According to Fox, the average audience for Super Bowl XLVIII bests the previous record of 111.3 million for Super Bowl XLVI between the Patriots and Giants on NBC.

The game drew a 44.5 rating at kickoff, which is a record, Fox said, with the rating reaching as high as 47.9 between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Eastern, according to the network.

---

Breaking the TV record with one of most boring, terrible Super Bowl games in history?

Don't let anyone ever tell you the NFL doesn't run things.

---

I'm shocked by half time I considered switching the channel..but it's the last football in 7 months...might as well enjoy it. Hell I watched Thursday Night games all season I could handle two extra quarters.

squicken

Maybe much like the afc/nfc swings. There is also swings in this. Would have to wait 20-30 years to see if there was evidence of another swing back to older qbs winning.

Yeah I don't know if it is meaningful or not. Or the contracts of the involved parties. I think though that the era of a experienced veteran game manager are gone, when that is what the Redskins used to win two SBs. If a team is going ot have a middling QB they are going to want him cheap

But coaches and GMs get fired so quickly, now. Is a coach in year 3, when he needs to win, going to want the sure thing QB at $15m/yr, or an unknown 2nd round rookie QB he has to develop and might cost him his job?

Tom Penny

I don't think cutting a guy with a big cap hit with a brain that is Jello would be a big surprise.

Breaking the TV record with one of most boring, terrible Super Bowl games in history?

Don't let anyone ever tell you the NFL doesn't run things.

Once they get peoples asses to watch it's not like people were going to change the channel and make their SB party goers watch reruns of Friends or something. I don't think the blowout has much of an effect. This SB had a ton of hype going in with Peyton and Sherman.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
knowshon-moreno-matt-stafford.jpg

51r%2Bzq0jUcL._SS500_.jpg

Knowshon and Stafford reunited.

Get him signed, Mayhew.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
NFL-GAF Prison part 1.
NFL-GAF Prison part 2.

Our first group of inmates clad in their orange medium-security jumpsuits. Let's take a closer look:

Doomsayer has already served over 7 years and managed to get his Trafficking sentence reduced enough that he's considered to have served the time out. He's got a while before he's eligible for parole. He sure has taken advantage of his conjugal visits though, holy shit man!

GAJsXLg.jpg

DMczaf was busted for drug dealing, using a local Taco Bell chain as his front. He managed to get those first two charges marked down as time served due to good behavior, but many suspect it was due to bribing.

bGFDNJT.jpg

Kave_Man is still hoping for extradition back out to Canada, but that would be highly unlikely given his high-profile case. Something about burning down Cleveland Stadium in a fit of rage.

pycchGi.jpg

Tom Penny is currently serving time for kidnapping Mark Sanchez during a drunken binge. He had confused him for his ex-wife. He also has two sets of twins, yikes.

rJVjD9x.jpg

The Frankman is a classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He has a 15 year sentence for possession, as he was caught after a Knicks game smoking it up. He managed to get the first sentence marked as time served as part of a plea agreement, and is eligible for parole in about 2 years.

IP5ZqCT.jpg

Doom is the first guy in, and he heads off to the canteen for breakfast. DM would soon follow.

Frankman heads to the canteen next as the guards bring in Penny and Kave.

Unfortunately for the last 3, with only 10 minutes left in the meal hour they'll end up missing their morning meal. Frankman was stuck behind the jail door cell because the 2 guards at the time were too busy bringing the last 2 guys in that by the time they got around to opening the gate 30 minutes had passed. So only Doom and DM managed to get breakfast.

The canteen closes up and the group heads back to the holding cell. They'll have to stay in here until enough individual cells are completed in the main cell block. Doom quickly runs to the toilet while DM takes a seat on one of the benches.

As soon as Doom finishes he wanders off thinking of his family. Tom quickly heads to the toilet afterwards to unload one.

Tom starts whining about the meal he missed as DM takes care of his own business. Looks like he's cranky due to lack of sleep.

Frankman goes next and complains how filthy all these motherfuckers left the toilet.

And that's how things stand as of now. As you can see, I don't have much money left so it'll be a while until these guys get their own cells.

I have a couple options we can proceed with:

A) Cheat and get some money to build.
B) Don't cheat and try and slowly earn money.
1) Build a few beds in the holding cell, whichever inmate gets to the beds first will get to rest.
2) Save up for proper accomodations in the cell block. Noone in the holding cell gets to sleep until then.

Gaffers - pick one of each options above and vote on how to proceed, i.e. A1, or B2.

I'll likely close daily prisoner intake until we can get this first batch stable. Leaving it open will most undoubtedly result in riot and death pretty soon and a premature end to NFL-GAF Prison.

For anyone wanting to see the master list of who's in the game, who needs more in-depth prison bios, and info on how to get your name on the list or more info for your character, go to this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96106213&postcount=15013

Also, all the images will be archived here: https://xianaphryz.imgur.com/

Jayhawk

Do you think Harrison gets in next year above Tim Brown?

Also, to tie into Jayhawk's question, does Tim Brown crack Top 5? He was a great WR that didn't have a good QB for the majority of his career.

Sorry for the late reply since I was busy... Tim Brown was productive for a couple more years than Marvin Harrison, but Marvin Harrison's best years are much better than Tim Brown's best years. The season Harrison got 143 receptions (20 more than anyone in history), you can't pin all that success on Peyton being the QB. Harrison is also one of the few WRs who managed to make Deion Sanders look silly. Harrison gets some points docked off for being manhandled by Ty Law in the playoffs. In the tuck rule game, did Ty Law cover Tim Brown? Based on the reception record alone, I would have to put Harrison above Brown in my WR rankings.

Sorry for the late reply since I was busy... Tim Brown was productive for a couple more years than Marvin Harrison, but Marvin Harrison's best years are much better than Tim Brown's best years. The season Harrison got 143 receptions (20 more than anyone in history), you can't pin all that success on Peyton being the QB. Harrison is also one of the few WRs who managed to make Deion Sanders look silly. Harrison gets some points docked off for being manhandled by Ty Law in the playoffs. In the tuck rule game, did Ty Law cover Tim Brown? Based on the reception record alone, I would have to put Harrison above Brown in my WR rankings.

I can see that, I wasn't trying to say all of Harrison's success is due to Peyton. I thought Harrison is an amazing WR too, I was just curious since they are going head to head next year in HOF voting.

Crisco

Banned
The sad part is Peyton Manning was one of the players that turned me from a casual football fan to a pure NFL addict. I think it was ten years ago, sophomore year of college, watching MNF with my roommates who I'm still friends with today. TB was up by like 3 TDs vs. Manning's Colts with less than five minutes left. We turned off the TV and just went to our rooms to play the WoW beta or something. A few minutes later I decided to check espn.com (which was actually a better website back then), and saw the score was tied. Of course I run out of my room like a dork and announce to the suite what's happened. We all jump back in front of the common room TV and watching Manning win the game in OT. That's the sort of shit that gets you hooked on a sport.

Sure Add me in.

For anyone interested, I'll need some info:

* How you want your name displayed - Easiest way to do this would either be just using your GAF username, or giving me a First and Last name and I'll use your username for the Nickname (in this case, your character name will appear like the Jason "jakncoke" Bay screenshot.)
* Bio (250 character max) - though I get the feeling this would be best done by the community at large. ;P
* Date of birth
* How you want your character to be displayed - Not sure on all the options, but I've seen at least 3 body types (skinny, medium, huge) and a few skin tones (white, brown, black).

And that's it. I think the rap sheet is randomly generated.

Name: You can use my GAF name or make it a cool nickname if you want.
Bio: Ok, this needs to be done by the community, Have at it GAF!
Date of Birth: 07-05-87
How you want your character to be displayed: Medium Brown.

About the young qb vs older qb winning in the super bowl thing: I imagine a lot of the older QBs are good enough to cover the team's weakness until they get to the playoffs, when they get exposed. This also probably accounts for the older QBs getting huge contracts, which makes the rest of the team weaker.

Not saying you don't want an "elite" QB obviously, but it seems like you get a lot of situations where a good QB can hide weaknesses on a team in the regular season, only to get exposed in the postseason. I imagine you get a lot of teams thinking "well we have this really good QB, we can hold off on fixing this part of our offense" but it hasn't worked out.

RELAYER

Banned
Ugh.... NFC seems stacked for the next few years...

Falcons gonna have to really bring it to even make the WC again. The division is tough with both the Panthers and Saints. Plus you have the Hawks and the 49ers out west. Ugh...

Hope Atlanta makes the right moves in the draft!

Falcons are fucked

jakncoke

Banned
Be interesting to see on average how much good/great qbs take of teams overall spending. Seems like star qbs take more % of their teams spending than ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom