• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bionic, a true disciple of Tebow and practicing Patriots hater, and chris.trejo, a Dolphins fan and practicing Patriots hater, get got on the same day?

That shit seems mighty convenient, doesn't it?

iseeu.png

gata, we know it was you bruh. Just admit what you did

Narag

That Slow Getting Up book makes Cleveland under Mangini sound like a hellhole. I mean a worse hellhole than normal.

BigAT

What do Giants and Eagles GAffers think about Nicks and Maclin, there're ideas that the Raiders might target them as FA to bolster our WR group... I'd like to hear their takes on them...

Nicks has been pretty badly banged up the last couple of years and has been a shell of his former self. In addition, and likely more worrisome, he seemed to check out mentally this year as well. Quitting on routes, clearly not playing with the same intensity, and he was apparently fined by the team numerous times for various minor infractions.

Could that be turned around with a change in scenery? Perhaps. But personally I wouldn't want to invest large amounts of money in a guy that couldn't even stay motivated in a contract year. Large contracts rarely cause lazy players to work harder.

Nicks has been pretty badly banged up the last couple of years and has been a shell of his former self.

No pity for the Gmen since they have two rings and Cruz to show for it, but at one point they really did seem set with Smith and Nicks as sort of a modern day Housh/Ochocinco combo. Shame both of them broke down so hard.

Totally agree though, would not give Nicks any sort of significant money. He looks like that classic "past record but no current performance" receiver that will instantly gravitate towards a Panthers contract.

Bionic gone?

Boyz%2Bn%2Bthe%2BHood.png

I don't even know how I feel about it man. It just goes on and on. Next thing you know somebody might try and ban me. Don't matter though. We all gotta go sometime homie. Seems like they punched the wrong clock on Bionic tho.

**Ninja Scooter was banned 2 weeks later**

**Eznark went away to school at Morehouse, where he graduated with a masters in business and brought Freaknik back to Atlanta**

What are the Thoughts on Clowney in here? I personally wouldn't be to willing to spend a top 5 pick on the guy. Questions about his love of the game, work effort, and taking off plays? Is he gonna be a guy that'll just stop trying After he gets paid? Idk all that stuff worries me about him. Say what you will about Manziel, but nobody can question how hard he plays on the field.

cdotcombrowns ‏ @ cdotcombrowns 3m
Cleveland Browns' OC Kyle Shanahan on Johnny Manziel: "Who wouldn't like him?'' http://dlvr.it/4stVPK # browns
I like the idea of drafting Teddy too, he seems like a guy that can have success in any system.

No matter who we want it seems likely we might have to trade up, 4th pick seems like kinda a tough spot. 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, doubt we'll make all those picks.

Narag

It was just such a massive contrast to Nate's time in Denver, which he made sound like heaven (well, sort of), compared to what was going on in Cleveland with Mangini.

His loyalty to Shanahan is really evident throughout, I think, and colors some stuff although describing McDaniels like he was Lunchbox seemed right at the time.

Hoping BOB brings a little to the Texans as what McDaniels did the Broncos and Mangini the Jets/Browns.

What are the Thoughts on Clowney in here? I personally wouldn't be to willing to spend a top 5 pick on the guy. Questions about his love of the game, work effort, and taking off plays? Is he gonna be a guy that'll just stop trying After he gets paid? Idk all that stuff worries me about him. Say what you will about Manziel, but nobody can question how hard he plays on the field.

Top 5 pick should eat breathe and sleep football. I don't get that from Clowney.

ShaneB

His loyalty to Shanahan is really evident throughout, I think, and colors some stuff although describing McDaniels like he was Lunchbox seemed right at the time.

Hoping BOB brings a little to the Texans as what McDaniels did the Broncos and Mangini the Jets/Browns.

No doubt on the bolded.

Glad you liked the book too, it was fun to read his perspective on the league in general.

Del Rio returning to Broncos as Defensive Coordinator. Nice. Fix that secondary. Von Miller, Chris Harris back healthy and get some solid DBs this coming draft.

squicken

I've watched too much of Peppers and Williams to ever take a pass rusher that dogs it in the top 5. I think it is just a bad example for the rest of the team as well. Can't have a team of try hard, low talent guys, of course. But there's plenty of good effort defenders in this draft

That said, I've heard it said he might be like the Randy Moss of defensive linemen, where if he gets mad or really gets motivated, he'll be a monster. Someone will fall in love with his measurables at the Combine, I'm sure

tmdorsey

Bionic gone?

I don't even know how I feel about it man. It just goes on and on. Next thing you know somebody might try and ban me. Don't matter though. We all gotta go sometime homie. Seems like they punched the wrong clock on Bionic tho.

**Eznark went away to school at Morehouse, where he graduated with a masters in business and brought Freaknik back to Atlanta**

dead.jpg

10/10

tmdorsey

I've watched too much of Peppers and Williams to ever take a pass rusher that dogs it in the top 5. I think it is just a bad example for the rest of the team as well. Can't have a team of try hard, low talent guys, of course. But there's plenty of good effort defenders in this draft

That said, I've heard it said he might be like the Randy Moss of defensive linemen, where if he gets mad or really gets motivated, he'll be a monster. Someone will fall in love with his measurables at the Combine, I'm sure

I agree with what I heard on sports talk this morning. If he doesn't kill it at the combine I think he's gonna drop far.

That said I wouldn't be mad at all if we take him at 6.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Bionic gone?

isxxRLHmkdsyI.gif

squicken

I like the idea of drafting Teddy too, he seems like a guy that can have success in any system.

No matter who we want it seems likely we might have to trade up, 4th pick seems like kinda a tough spot. 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, doubt we'll make all those picks.

It's weird to see multiple Browns coaches talk up Hoyer. Is that ruse to make people think they won't go QB, or is that sucking up to Lombardi? I think Hoyer is ultimately a fine backup. Maybe even a stopgap starter if they want to let a rookie QB sit and watch. But anything beyond this year is kind of silly. He's Matt Cassell, which isn't a bad thing if you have him in the right role

I agree with what I heard on sports talk this morning. If he doesn't kill it at the combine I think he's gonna drop far.

That said I wouldn't be mad at all if we take him at 6.
Dream scenario is him falling to 6. I think if ATL ends up with he, Matthews or Robinson they will be happy

MechDX

vLf9O3K.jpg

We take the AFC South from the stoned! The unshaven! The oppressors of a decade who have kept you down with myths of their superiority, and we give it back to you... the Texans fans. The division is ours. None shall interfere. Do as you please. Start by storming Lucas Oil stadium, and destroying the drunkenowner! Step forward those who would serve. For and army will be raised. The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests, and cast out into Ceveland that we know and endure. Games will be played. Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be shed. The peasants will survive, as they learn to serve a true team. This great team... it will endure. The Texans will survive!

Nameless

Bionic gone?

slow-clap-gif.gif

Spinluck

vLf9O3K.jpg

We take the AFC South from the stoned! The unshaven! The oppressors of a decade who have kept you down with myths of their superiority, and we give it back to you... the Texans fans. The division is ours. None shall interfere. Do as you please. Start by storming Lucas Oil stadium, and destroying the drunkenowner! Step forward those who would serve. For and army will be raised. The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests, and cast out into Ceveland that we know and endure. Games will be played. Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be shed. The peasants will survive, as they learn to serve a true team. This great team... it will endure. The Texans will survive!

if jj is bane then luck is batman.

LJ11

Clowney played with a great motor his first couple of years, the dude never stopped. He dialed it back this year, or rather coasted on his rep. Not something you want, but he still had a good year even though the sacks weren't there. That should scare people, because if that freak show plays 100% every snap...oh my.

Bruce Smith was a fatty, dude came in overweight, mailed it in his first year. Cottrell whipped that mofo into shape and the rest is history. There are countless stories that go the other way too, top flight talent dogs it and keeps dogging it. Sometimes you have to rely on your coaches to further develop a player's talent.

That video of Bad Johnny gives a good example of what a Big Wide receiver needs to do consistently to succeed in the NFL. WR has to bend just like a DE bends around a LT/RT. Keep your outside shoulder clean by splitting the CB with your reach, bend and get hip control. Very similar to what a DE has to do in order to get around a LT/RT.

RBH

Bionic gone?

Holy shit :lol :lol

squicken

Clowney played with a great motor his first couple of years, the dude never stopped. He dialed it back this year, or rather coasted on his rep. Not something you want, but he still had a good year even though the sacks weren't there. That should scare people, because if that freak show plays 100% every snap...oh my.

Bruce Smith was a fatty, dude came in overweight, mailed it in his first year. Cottrell whipped that mofo into shape and the rest is history. There are countless stories that go the other way too, top flight talent dogs it and keeps dogging it. Sometimes you have to rely on your coaches to further develop a player's talent.

That video of Bad Johnny gives a good example of what a Big Wide receiver needs to do consistently to succeed in the NFL. WR has to bend just like a DE bends around a LT/RT. Keep your outside shoulder clean by splitting the CB with your reach, bend and get hip control. Very similar to what a DE has to do in order to get around a LT/RT.

Robert Quinn dogged it a bit his first two years. Brockers has done the same his first two years. Quinn went off last year and I expect Gregg Williams will get more out of Brockers than Walton did. No doubt coaching matters, and Fisher and Williams have had lots of success with DLs, so I will trust them if they go that way

What will the Bills be looking at in the first round? If they let Byrd go do they target a safety?

jakncoke

Banned
ninja with a god tier post.

but seriously. guys its less than a week into the offseason and we've lost 2 regular contributors, does not bode well. on the real i bet bionics wife made him get banned so he can chase more ambulances so she can have more 1500 dollar purses what a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

LJ11

Robert Quinn dogged it a bit his first two years. Brockers has done the same his first two years. Quinn went off last year and I expect Gregg Williams will get more out of Brockers than Walton did. No doubt coaching matters, and Fisher and Williams have had lots of success with DLs, so I will trust them if they go that way

What will the Bills be looking at in the first round? If they let Byrd go do they target a safety?

If you ask me, it's OL. I'm not basing it on anything the org has said. I'll explain my rational.

This organization has zero foresight.

Example, trade Jason Peters, use a 7th rounder to fill in at LT, draft a legit LT 3 years later. Example two, let Andy Levitre go and have another below replacement level player play the position for a few weeks, then find whatever street scrub to play LG, no viable player on the roster as of right now. Let Poz go, have zero roster options available at LB. Let Pat Williams go, have zero DT depth, reach for one in the 1st round a year or so later.

See where I'm going with this, so no, they won't draft a S. IF they were smart they would have done so in advance, like a year or two ago, along with finding a replacement for Levitre, but that would take planning.

Lets extend further, Jerry Hughes had a great year, so these fools probably think they're set at pass rusher, especially with the sack numbers they posted. Jerry Hughes, if he repeats his production, is a free agent after this season, so history says the Bills won't draft a pass rusher to hedge against Hughes and a ballooning cap number from Mario. That would take foresight....

They think EJ is the future, so no QB. That leaves me with three options, OL, WR, TE. They've spent a bunch of picks on WR the last two drafts, and it's a deep class this year so I don't see them going with a WR that early, they don't understand what sunk costs are. So they'll keep trotting TJ Graham out there...lol.

Down to TE/OL. If three QBs go early then Matthews may fall because there are a few teams in the top 8 that have legit Ts already on the roster. I don't think three QBs go that early, but I didn't think EJ would go in the first...lol

So I'll say OL, for now, FA just around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom