• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

MechDX

Not Coach O'Brien ‏@NotCoachOBrien · 2m
Balls people. Fuck this field goal shit.

Yeah, I'm looking at you Gary.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 3m
50% off Papa John's in Houston tomorrow!! 50% off Papa John's in Houston tomorrow! Peyton is pissed.
/dead

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
WE ARE SUPER BOWL BOUND

The big question I have from tonight's Denver-Houston game is how many Denver sportswriters are going to say that this preseason game proves that Denver's regular season win last December was fluky?

MechDX

WE ARE SUPER BOWL BOUND

prepare the parade!

Come on! Just think Tommy Touchdown!

BvxopMGCQAAC1Cr.jpg

Enjoy your second free slush in a row!

jakncoke

Banned
Vikes will score with Cassel. Hoyer and Cleveland probably won't. Hard to sit the rookie when the veteran can't do anything. But I'll defer to BG, who was on the scene. Now that Bradford isn't out for the year (hopefully) I will withdraw some of my harsher criticisms

Are you still on the Bradford bandwagon? I assume you are. Strange.

Godslay

Banned
Damn. Seriously sorry dude.

Swearinger is an ass at this point. Hope Watt/Cushing have a nice talk with him and get him in line.

Yeah Wes has had 4 concussions over the last year. At some point his health is more important.

Sigh I suspect he will not play and practice much until the Colts.

They have to play it safe assuming he comes back by then. I would hate to see him retire, but its becoming a real issue.

eznark

Banned
Showing the Redskins game, Merriweather puts his helmet right into the running backs facemask.

Guy is a piece of fucking garbage.

MechDX

Yeah Wes has had 4 concussions over the last year. At some point his health is more important.

Yeah they have to play it safe assuming he comes back by then. I would hate to see him retire, but its becoming a real issue.
I didn't see the hit as I was still at work. Im reading now that Welker ducked his head while Swearinger was going for a shoulder tackle. How was it?

Tom Penny

So RG3 officially sucks and peaked in year one. Manziel sucks and Welkers brain is jello. Who says preseason doesn't mean anything?

Hunter S.

They have to play it safe assuming he comes back by then. I would hate to see him retire, but its becoming a real issue.
I like to believe he is Superman, but I have seen both hockey players and football player have continual problems for life due to concussions. I choose to stay optimistic.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Well, other than TL9 apparently being done in Buffalo, it was a good football day. That Saints offense looks great, defense not as bad as it appear on that first TD pass.

jakncoke

Banned
Showing the Redskins game, Merriweather puts his helmet right into the running backs facemask.

Guy is a piece of fucking garbage.

I wonder if his next in trouble case for helmet hunting will lead to more than 1 game suspension. Clearly the guy isnt ever going to change.

MechDX

Vyer

Like I said earlier, it almost doesn't matter for Swearinger at this point, he's going to get extra attention fair or not. He's already painted a big target on himself out there and the refs are going to be looking for him. Hopefully his play can live up to all the talking otherwise he's doing the team more harm than good.

Welker officially a concussion. Man, he might have to hang them up soon.

That sucks. The dude really needs to consider if it's worth it any more.

Love how Welker ducks and its somehow Swearingers fault, according to some. Unless they switch to two hand touch, this type of stuff is going to happen.

Also, almost guarantee the concussion is from how hard he hit the ground, not hitting Swearingers shoulder.

I think it's a clean hit, but those penalties seem to be called based on how vicious it looked rather than point of contact and relative body position.

In my opinion, you can't say the head was targeted on a receiver who was going to the ground just prior to the hit, and you can't say it was a defenseless receiver when the move toward the ground is a defensive one. If he was truly defenseless, the shoulder contact would have been made with the chest.

But that's just the league now. The term "defenseless" is basically meaningless because of how far it has been expanded. I remember a Raider got flagged in Minnesota a couple years ago for hitting a defenseless receiver who had caught the ball and took a step up field. It's superfluous language at this point.

Godslay

Banned
Ok I watched the video, your gif and this one:

http://giant.gfycat.com/SecondhandEthicalEmperorpenguin.gif

Last year Swearinger was blasted for going at the knee in the preseason and now he is going to high. In his defense how do you play defense? Especially when the WR ducks his head?

Can't lead with the head or shoulder like that. Guy already pulled a Pollard last year on that Phins player destroying his knee on what looked like a dirty play. So he doesnt have much cred in my mind for the benefit of the doubt.

As far as defense is concerned don't lead with the head and make sound tackles and you shouldn't have to worry abour it.

MechDX

Can't lead with the head or shoulder like that. Guy already pulled a Pollard last year on that Phins player destroying his knee on what looked like a dirty play. So he doesnt have much cred in my mind for the benefit of the doubt.

As far as defense is concerned don't lead with the head and make sound tackles and you shouldn't have to worry abour ir.

He didn't lead with the head though. He clearly leads with his shoulder and Welker ducks his head. Welker don't duck and its a clean shot to the chest.

Hit last year was vicious but not illegal or dirty.

He didn't lead with the head though. He clearly leads with his shoulder and Welker ducks his head. Welker don't duck and its a clean shot to the chest.

It was dirty.

Looking forward to your third defense of him next preseason.

Godslay

Banned

Swearinger lowers his shoulder and hits the head of a ducking player.

First of all the head is off limits no matter how you tackle. Secondly, the receiver is essentially defenseless. Third, there was no reason to try and deliver that blow. It was intentionally overly done.

Looking at that Phins hit, guy goes squarely at the knee rather than attempting a clean hit. Sure its not against the rules, but its unwritten amongst players to not go for the knees. Sure it happens but if you watch that replay he goes directly for the knee.

MechDX

Slay Im done with that topic. It will not get us anywhere and I don't want to go in a stupid circle of arguments with you.

Sucks to hear about Wes Welker. I'm not sure how many concussions he's had so far but I think it's about time he thought about retirement. He can't continue on like this. It's just not worth it for him anymore.

Top Bottom