• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

manfestival

all this talk about the bucs picking up incognito. also the players seem ok with him coming to the bucs too. I would be totally ok with him coming to the bucs aside from him previously coming from miami. thats my biggest peeve about him

jakncoke

Banned
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/26/gilbert-platform-advocates-blowing-up-cba-18-games/

Former Defensive Tackle Sean Gilbert wants to run for NFLPA Executive Director. His platform - Blow up the current CBA, institute 18 game schedule.

1 million min salary for rookies? ps salaries 20k a week doesnt seem too bad, they are at like 7500 now.18 game schedule is a joke, 57 regular roster doesnt seem bad, hell just keep it going up, fuck it. Fuck delaying SB to presidents day weekend.

Fox318

Is Gata the king of Detroit yet?

LgJ2OeW.jpg

squicken

Sando did the same thing with coaches that he did with QBs earlier this year. Put them in Tiers based on feedback from league folks. Insider piece:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11408205/ranking-32-nfl-head-coaches-tiers

There is no way to accurately rank the 32 NFL head coaches, but polling 30 league insiders is a pretty good place to start.

Much like the "QB Tiers" project published earlier in the offseason, I asked what I consider a balanced range of informed voters -- eight current general managers, four former GMs, four personnel directors, four executives, six coordinators and four position coaches -- to provide a 1-5 rating for every head coach. Bill Belichick led the way with 28 votes in the first tier, followed by Pete Carroll (23) and Sean Payton (22). No one else commanded more than a dozen top-tier votes, drawing a clear line after these three coaches in the eyes of the 30 insiders. But another half-dozen coaches were not too far behind, and there were surprises along the way.

Once votes were collected, I averaged the ratings for each coach to produce a 1-32 order. I separated them into tiers at logical cut-off points, based on the voting results (including the tier in which each coach got the majority of his votes, and his average overall score). The general feeling was that NFL coaches tend to be very smart and very good at what they do. We saw that in the ratings. Twenty-three coaches averaged better than a 3.0 on the 1-5 scale (1 was best, 5 worst), and no coaches landed in Tier 5.

Where did every coach rank, and why? We've got the answers below, including some illuminating quotes from the voters on each guy.

Tier 1: Ain't cheatin' ain't tryin'

Belichick
Pete Carroll
Sean Payton

Tier 4: Newbies and idiots

Zimmer
Gruden
BoB
Caldwell
Marrone
Philbin
Garrrett lulz
Pettine (too high)
Dennis Allen

Out of sheer morbid curiosity (its ESPN, afterall), where'd they list Coughlin?

EDIT: Nevermind just read how the article results were arrived at. :jnc indeed.

Tom Penny

Not that it wasn't already obvious but so many players on HGH. Only 63% would want the testing if contracts were guaranteed lol

The ESPN.com survey asked 100-plus players: "What concessions would you make for guaranteed contracts?" Of the 82 players who answered the multiple-choice question, 63 percent said they would submit to HGH testing now if their contracts were guaranteed, such as those in Major League Baseball.

Rewatched the first half of the Chiefs/Vikings and it really just reinforced what I already know; Alex Smith is not going to take your team anywhere. He is the ultimate Captain Checkdown, just about all of his yardage was YAC from screens and dump-offs. Respectable mobility and short range accuracy but his arm strength is pitiful and you can't rely on him to thread a pass into a tight window at even medium range. At the end of the first half he takes a step and launches a hail mary... that lands at the 30 yard line of the Vikings. Just pitiful. He also makes some absolutely abysmal decisions on the interceptions, just completely idiotic throws that you cannot tolerate from a guy with an already limited skill-set like Smith.

On top of all of that the Chiefs o-line looks terrible. Alex is going to be running for his life a lot from the looks of it. Seems to me like we are going to see some major regression from the Chiefs this year after their overachieving 2013 season.

Tamanon

Banned
Not that it wasn't already obvious but so many players on HGH. Only 63% would want the testing if contracts were guaranteed lol

It's so great that the Performance drug testing doesn't seem to actually work against actual PEDs, it only hits people taking the small stuff that softens the edges. And then weed testing gets a ton of players, and that has nothing to do with the game.

Apparently Logan Thomas is going to tell Arians which plays he has down and is comfortable with for the game on Thursday and the did the same in the first game against the Texans where he looked great. I wonder if they deviated from that against the Bengals and he tried to do too much. Normally this would be the most boring game ever since we play the Chargers again in Week 1 and the starters aren't playing but between Logan Thomas and the starter material that are coming back from injuries to play (Honey Badger, Minter, Cooper) there are actually some view worthy players participating for me.

Tom Penny

It's so great that the Performance drug testing doesn't seem to actually work against actual PEDs, it only hits people taking the small stuff that softens the edges. And then weed testing gets a ton of players, and that has nothing to do with the game.

You actually think a business is going to risk suspending their best players without giving them more than ample time to adjust their drug use?

ShaneB

Rewatched the first half of the Chiefs/Vikings and it really just reinforced what I already know; Alex Smith is not going to take your team anywhere. He is the ultimate Captain Checkdown, just about all of his yardage was YAC from screens and dump-offs. Respectable mobility and short range accuracy but his arm strength is pitiful and you can't rely on him to thread a pass into a tight window at even medium range. At the end of the first half he takes a step and launches a hail mary... that lands at the 30 yard line of the Vikings. Just pitiful. He also makes some absolutely abysmal decisions on the interceptions, just completely idiotic throws that you cannot tolerate from a guy with an already limited skill-set like Smith.

On top of all of that the Chiefs o-line looks terrible. Alex is going to be running for his life a lot from the looks of it. Seems to me like we are going to see some major regression from the Chiefs this year after their overachieving 2013 season.

Yeah, I said a few things after that game. It's clear that Jamaal Charles IS that offence again this season. I really hope TE Kelce has a breakout season, really loved what I saw from him, same with Knile Davis, so perhaps a good mix of 22 personnel packages could make sense. And even then Kelce didn't see a lot of snaps.

And yes, the O-line has been abysmal. Alex Smith is getting sacked 190 times this season.

Yeah, I said a few things after that game. It's clear that Jamaal Charles IS that offence again this season. I really hope TE Kelce has a breakout season, really loved what I saw from him, same with Knile Davis, so perhaps a good mix of 22 personnel packages could make sense. And even then Kelce didn't see a lot of snaps.

And yes, the O-line has been abysmal. Alex Smith is getting sacked 190 times this season.

Bad time to have a shit OL when they are going through the NFC Best gauntlet this year! Licking my chops!

Crisco

Banned
That's some pretty terrible statistical logic. Maybe 67% of players are just tired of dudes watching them pee in a cup. I know I would be, no matter what you paid me.

jakncoke

Banned
That's some pretty terrible statistical logic. Maybe 67% of players are just tired of dudes watching them pee in a cup. I know I would be, no matter what you paid me.

These dudes been showering and dressing naked with their various teammates since HS. They dont care about no pissing in the cup lol

Top Bottom