• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

Niven

Texans. And that sexy, blonde Adonis is the best defensive player in football: Justin James Watt. Yoou also get the athletic freak Jedaveon Clowney as a bonus.

Awesome and humble.

I will have to read up on this team also, how do you feel you'll do in the up and coming season?

Duxxy3

The probowl is strictly a popularity contest. Guy is on the decline, and has already had knee injuries. There's simply no way the Pats were going to get a second for him, and the chances they even get a third are slim. Did you watch Mankins at all the last couple of years? He's good in the run game, but he isn't nearly the pass protector Pats fans would have you believe he is. Now if the backups are worse than Mankins the Pats should certainly be crucified for this move, but if they move Cannon to his spot they should be fine.

He's a lot more solid than anybody else on that line, even if there is a decline. Solder like to play Matador once in a while and let people walk by. We have two average players at center and right guard. Right tackle should be ok between vollmer, cannon and fleming.

TheFatOne

May I ask what's bad about the dolphins?

Joke question?

He's a lot more solid than anybody else on that line, even if there is a decline. Solder like to play Matador once in a while and let people walk by. We have two average players at center and right guard. Right tackle should be ok between vollmer, cannon and fleming.

This simply isn't true in pass protection. He hasn't been good the last few years, and each year he's been getting worse. Solder right now is better than Mankins. They will most likely move Cannon to his spot. It makes the most sense given that Cannons natural position is guard. Slide Cannon to guard and they should be fine. Center worries me far more than any other position on the line right now.

BigAT

Who is Tim Wright

tim_wright--300x300.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
I'm the owner of the dolphins btw so any questions let me know, I can get you a personal tour and we have some of the hottest cheerleaders in any league,

You'd be a part of a huge scandal if you were a owner considering all the sneak pics you've shared with gaf over the last year. Front page news "Owner of Dolphins Chris Trejo involved in voyeur pic scandal" Details to come..

Hey guys I'm new here and I'm from the UK, I've always enjoyed watching the Super Bowl so I decided this year I'm going to follow the season and see if I can start to understand the game better. I've always enjoyed the games I've watched so I just thought I'd post in here as I'll most likely have many questions over the season and it looks like fun :)

How comfortable are you with a thread that substitutes the acronym of a currently contributing poster's username for 'lol'?

You'd be a part of a huge scandal if you were a owner considering all the sneak pics you've shared with gaf over the last year. Front page news "Owner of Dolphins Chris Trejo involved in voyeur pic scandal" Details to come..

Yes that's why I've stopped...although with Irsey on coke binges and nothing happening to him I think I'd be alright. Look at Jerry Jones...

MechDX

I meant in more In the sense do you think the teams going in the right direction or falling apart?

Its going in the right direction after the fiasco of last season. Super Bowl pick by some in 2013 and finished 2-14 because our QB's arm fell off and he became a quivering pile of Jell-O. Then our head coach just wanted guys to "Battlefight" and run draw plays consistently on 3rd and long.

The defense this year should be pretty damn good with Watt and #1 overall pick Clowney rushing the QB. The offense has good weapons at RB, WR and TE but has a so-so QB right now.

Duxxy3

Joke question?

This simply isn't true in pass protection. He hasn't been good the last few years, and each year he's been getting worse. Solder right now is better than Mankins. They will most likely move Cannon to his spot. It makes the most sense given that Cannons natural position is guard. Slide Cannon to guard and they should be fine. Center worries me far more than any other position on the line right now.

If cannon is at left guard, then who takes the right tackle position when vollmer goes down from a stiff breeze? Fleming?

edit: it sucks that we haven't seen stork at all. if there is any position on that team that is wide open for the taking, it's the center position.

Crisco

Banned
David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn 50s
Charles Godfrey says #Panthers asked him to work some back at safety.

About damn time if you ask me

To be honest, this is probably more due to Benwikere killing it at the nickel than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if Godfrey is cut before it's all said and done.

May I ask what's bad about the dolphins?

Did you miss everything that happened in the Incognito-Martin scandal?

What about the fact that they still willingly employ a Pouncey?

The Jaguars are the best Florida NFL team. That's how bad the Dolphins and Bucs became from last year on.

Nope I'm new to all this
The Dolphins have become a bit of a laughingstock in the NFL over the past 15 years or so. Established in 1966, they are a storied franchise known especially for their perfect season in 1972, a feat no other team has ever replicated. They also had Dan Marino back in the 80's and 90's, one of the best QB's to ever play the game, although he sadly never won a Super Bowl. Since Marino's retirement the Dolphins have struggled to maintain their relevancy, mostly due to difficulties finding another franchise QB to replace Marino.

The low point of the franchise was in 2007 when the team went 1-15. It was very sad. However, things are looking up for the team since then, as they are now quite mediocre and bordering on a return to relevancy.

One thing you might not be used to in your sporting leagues is the relative parity you see in the NFL. It's not like the Premier League where the best teams just buy up the best players to keep winning, instead each team has a salary cap that they cannot exceed when paying their players. This ensures a much more level playing field and often leads to teams quickly becoming relevant or irrelevant, often within the span of a single season. Just as an example, the Seahawks won their first Super Bowl in franchise history this year.

jakncoke

Banned
Did you miss everything that happened in the Incognito-Martin scandal?

What about the fact that they still willingly employ a Pouncey?

The Jaguars are the best Florida NFL team. That's how bad the Dolphins and Bucs became from last year on.

You guys miss where he said he was brand new and just learning things about the NFL and is researching.

Colasante

If cannon is at left guard, then who takes the right tackle position when vollmer goes down from a stiff breeze? Fleming?

edit: it sucks that we haven't seen stork at all. if there is any position on that team that is wide open for the taking, it's the center position.

I don't see any reason for Cannon to sit on the bench as the second string right tackle when he can be the best guard on the team. If Vollmer goes down, Cannon can switch back to right tackle and Kline or Devey can play guard. At this point, my ideal line is Solder-Kline-Connolly-Cannon-Vollmer, though I'd like to see Bryan Stork win the center job.

I don't see any reason for Cannon to sit on the bench as the second string right tackle when he can be the best guard on the team. If Vollmer goes down, Cannon can switch back to right tackle and Kline or Devey can play guard. At this point, my ideal line is Solder-Kline-Connolly-Cannon-Vollmer, though I'd like to see Bryan Stork win the center job.

We would be seeing Stork play if he wasn't hurt.

IIRC, Cannon wasn't that great at RT as Vollmer's backup.

Niven

The Dolphins have become a bit of a laughingstock in the NFL over the past 15 years or so. Established in 1966, they are a storied franchise known especially for their perfect season in 1972, a feat no other team has ever replicated. They also had Dan Marino back in the 80's and 90's, one of the best QB's to ever play the game, although he sadly never won a Super Bowl. Since Marino's retirement the Dolphins have struggled to maintain their relevancy, mostly due to difficulties finding another franchise QB to replace Marino.

The low point of the franchise was in 2007 when the team went 1-15. It was very sad. However, things are looking up for the team since then, as they are now quite mediocre and bordering on a return to relevancy.

One thing you might not be used in your sporting leagues is the relative parity you see in the NFL. It's not like the Premier League where the best teams just buy up the best players to keep winning, instead each team has a salary cap that they cannot exceed when paying their players. This ensures a much more level playing field and often leads to teams quickly becoming relevant or irrelevant, often within the span of a single season. Just as an example, the Seahawks won their first Super Bowl in franchise history this year.

Ow shit I didn't know it worked like that at all, well that seems like a good thing so you can just buy the league, I know I keep talking about the patriots cause there all I know but doesn't that make them look quite good as there always there or there abouts?

So Madden 15 bought. First Madden I've spent money on since Madden 10 maybe thanks to the positive word of mouth? Hopefully it was worth it.

Niven

Its going in the right direction after the fiasco of last season. Super Bowl pick by some in 2013 and finished 2-14 because our QB's arm fell off and he became a quivering pile of Jell-O. Then our head coach just wanted guys to "Battlefight" and run draw plays consistently on 3rd and long.

The defense this year should be pretty damn good with Watt and #1 overall pick Clowney rushing the QB. The offense has good weapons at RB, WR and TE but has a so-so QB right now.

That's sounds good, I'm gonna make an effort to make sure this is one of the teams I watch to help me decide :)

manfestival

I know im a little late but AWWW YISSSSSS WE GOT A GUARD!

Bro that O-line stresses me out. It has been so long since we had quality on that line. We had carl nicks for like 1 game?

You guys miss where he said he was brand new and just learning things about the NFL and is researching.

Oh yeah I did miss that.

I may be getting some details wrong here but basically: Incognito was a dick who bullied his teammate Martin frequently and wasn't alone in doing it, the ones who didn't outright help did nothing thinking "boys will be boys". Both are off the team, everybody else who either helped or did nothing stayed consequence-free. Also they have a Pouncey who just beat the shit out of some guy at a bar for the crime of looking gay.
The Bucs had a dick coach last year named Schiano who treated their old QB poorly en route to firing him (even having him and his family kicked out of a box he had bought for them to watch games in). Also the team had at least 3 cases of MRSA because of their shitty facility, and I think only one player was forced into retirement because of it.

Meanwhile the Jags are just bad, plus they have A Man Named Bortles, which is much more preferable to all of the above.

Ow shit I didn't know it worked like that at all, well that seems like a good thing so you can just buy the league, I know I keep talking about the patriots cause there all I know but doesn't that make them look quite good as there always there or there abouts?

They were awful until they started cheating in 2001, then they "won" three titles, were caught and haven't done jack shit since then thanks to Eli "The Savor" Manning.

Oh yeah I did miss that.

I may be getting some details wrong here but basically: Incognito was a dick who bullied his teammate Martin frequently and wasn't alone in doing it, the ones who didn't outright help did nothing thinking "boys will be boys". Both are off the team, everybody else who either helped or did nothing stayed consequence-free. Also they have a Pouncey who just beat the shit out of some guy at a bar for the crime of looking gay.
The Bucs had a dick coach last year named Schiano who treated their old QB poorly en route to firing him (even having him and his family kicked out of a box he had bought for them to watch games in). Also the team had at least 3 cases of MRSA because of their shitty facility, and I think only one player was forced into retirement because of it.

Meanwhile the Jags are just bad, plus they have A Man Named Bortles, which is much more preferable to all of the above.

Wrong Pouncey :/

ShaneB

Just let Niven feel welcome here and let him pick whatever team he wants! :p

Niven, just watch games regularly, get familiar with the sport, see the ups and downs of teams, who is good and bad, who is going up or down, maybe you'll hook onto an underdog, etc etc. Just let it all come naturally! You're new, no need to rush into things so fast just focusing on one team, focus on the sport first!

cdyhybrid

They've probably compiled the best record in the league in the time since the current regime took over, but, you know...they cheated.

Edit: I would suggest just watching as many games as you can. You'll naturally be drawn towards certain teams for their play style, specific players, etc.

Just make sure it's not the Pats.

Yes, the Patriots are legitimately a very good team and have been for quite some time. One of the essential components to a solid NFL team is a "franchise QB", a guy you can rely on for 10+ seasons to keep your team in the hunt. Tom Brady certainly fits that description, and he is a big reason why the Patriots have been good for so long. They also have one of the best coaches in the league (Bill Belichick) although he is a evil and a cheater.

Brady is getting up there in age though, so no one knows for sure what the Patriots will look like in a few years.

MechDX

They have an elite franchise QB which helps to make up for other deficiencies. This league goes in cycles and what once was up will one day go down hard.

For instance: for the past decade 4 new teams will make the playoffs every year that did not the year before. Parity like a mug

Niven

Just let Niven feel welcome here and let him pick whatever team he wants! :p

Niven, just watch games regularly, get familiar with the sport, see the ups and downs of teams, who is good and bad, who is going up or down, maybe you'll hook onto an underdog, etc etc. Just let it all come naturally! You're new, no need to rush into things so fast just focusing on one team, focus on the sport first!

Thank you, I'm really liking the sounds of things and from what I gathered no teams seems to stay on top so it sounds really intresting and competative!

TheFatOne

Cannon was awful at RT. If they move him back the Pats should get roaster by everyone. I don't want Cannon at RT, but he would be a beast at guard. If Stork wasn't hurt he probably would be the starting center.

Bowser

David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn 50s
Charles Godfrey says #Panthers asked him to work some back at safety.

About damn time if you ask me

Don't think Godfrey makes it through final cuts. Rivera seems to love him for some reason and he's been giving many chances to justify a roster spot, but I think Gettleman will be more than willing to get rid of him for anyone he deems better once final cuts are made.

Raiders released WR Juron Criner, could see the Browns bringing him in. Big guy with a lot of talent, just never came together for Raiders.

DJ Hayden officially placed on PUP. Sucks, but probably for the best not to rush him. Will miss 5 games at least. I'll be happy if he's ready to play the back 8.

Duxxy3

For this year, that's probably the best case scenario. Even then I have almost no confidence in that line. On paper, the right side of the line would be good. The left side... I'm just not a big fan of solder. He whiffs too often and puts brady at risk when he does.

jbug617

Banned
So one of the radio guys in Boston (who happens to host the pre and post game shows for the Pats) said that they approached Mankins to be a guest correspondent on the post game show like he did last year and Mankins told him he would be open to do it if he made the team. So Mankins was worried about his spot

Niven

They have an elite franchise QB which helps to make up for other deficiencies. This league goes in cycles and what once was up will one day go down hard.

For instance: for the past decade 4 new teams will make the playoffs every year that did not the year before. Parity like a mug

Cheers for explaining! This may sound silly but why is it so hard to come by a QB like that I mean isn't there loads of QB coming thought I always thought that is what everyone wants to be a QB!

Top Bottom