• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

Cheers for explaining! This may sound silly but why is it so hard to come by a QB like that I mean isn't there loads of QB coming thought I always thought that is what everyone wants to be a QB!

But that doesn't mean they all are any good.

I mean, how many kids want to be a #10 in soccer and don't end up on that top tier of talent?

MechDX

Cheers for explaining! This may sound silly but why is it so hard to come by a QB like that I mean isn't there loads of QB coming thought I always thought that is what everyone wants to be a QB!

The draft is not an exact science. You can study, prod, poke, analyze everything but in the end it is still a crapshoot basically. Brady was a 6th round pick and Aaron Rodgers dropped to the end of the first round. Just proves no one really knows.

You don't have to have an elite QB to win it all though. It does help and like I stated before: it helps to cover other team deficiencies.

TheFatOne

For this year, that's probably the best case scenario. Even then I have almost no confidence in that line. On paper, the right side of the line would be good. The left side... I'm just not a big fan of solder. He whiffs too often and puts brady at risk when he does.

It's funny you say that about Solder and not about Mankins. Brady's biggest weakness is pressure up the middle, and Mankins sure did love to fuck up quite a bit. He was getting beat and pushed back into Brady's face a ton last season. The only reason people say that about Solder and not Mankins is the position. LT is the glamour position on the oline, and everyone love to shit on the LT.

Any any one time there are maybe 10 Great to decent QBs in the league...then it falls off to serviceable or down right terrible. Playing QB is really hard and making the jump from college to pros is too much for most QBs

Also Dolphins cut Quinn. 10 more to go

cdyhybrid

Franchise QBs are the elite of the elite. There are maybe 10 in the league right now if you count guys that aren't there yet, but will be eventually.

It's also an inexact science to identify these guys as they enter the league. Very rarely is a QB a 100% sure thing as a very high draft pick.

ParityBit

So one of the radio guys in Boston (who happens to host the pre and post game shows for the Pats) said that they approached Mankins to be a guest correspondent on the post game show like he did last year and Mankins told him he would be open to do it if he made the team. So Mankins was worried about his spot

Yep, and his partner Mazz is an idiot. He should stick to baseball.

Niven

But that doesn't mean they all are any good.

I mean, how many kids want to be a #10 in soccer and don't end up on that top tier of talent?

Yeah I get what you mean, but i mean as a kid I knew people who want to play all over the soccer pitch but in my head I always thought ever one want to be a QB in America but I'm guess that's because I knew no one who played or watched it haha

Wes

venison crêpe
Hey guys I'm new here and I'm from the UK, I've always enjoyed watching the Super Bowl so I decided this year I'm going to follow the season and see if I can start to understand the game better. I've always enjoyed the games I've watched so I just thought I'd post in here as I'll most likely have many questions over the season and it looks like fun :)

Welcome! Don't give in to pressure from the old coots in here. You'll end up following a specific team anyway, becoming more interested in them gradually over time. Let it happen naturally.

Get involved with the pick 'em contests too. Pretty sure one has been set up for this year (although I haven't signed up to it yet).

ParityBit

Today is a good day. I hope the Pats trade more good players for 4th round picks.

If they are as good as this trade, I agree!

1/4th of the the sacks to Brady was against him. Hes so over paid for a guard (32 years old)

They get a good, young TE, 4th round pick and money to pay Revis. Win-win-win!

Niven

Any any one time there are maybe 10 Great to decent QBs in the league...then it falls off to serviceable or down right terrible. Playing QB is really hard and making the jump from college to pros is too much for most QBs

Also Dolphins cut Quinn. 10 more to go

Franchise QBs are the elite of the elite. There are maybe 10 in the league right now if you count guys that aren't there yet, but will be eventually.

It's also an inexact science to identify these guys as they enter the league. Very rarely is a QB a 100% sure thing as a very high draft pick.

Ow my bad, I just thought ever team in the league would have a good QB silly of me really

Niven

Welcome! Don't give in to pressure from the old coots in here. You'll end up following a specific team anyway, becoming more interested in them gradually over time. Let it happen naturally.

Get involved with the pick 'em contests too. Pretty sure one has been set up for this year (although I haven't signed up to it yet).

Thank you! I see you in the football one a lot, not a bad start for villa!

TheFatOne

So one of the radio guys in Boston (who happens to host the pre and post game shows for the Pats) said that they approached Mankins to be a guest correspondent on the post game show like he did last year and Mankins told him he would be open to do it if he made the team. So Mankins was worried about his spot

Not surprised by this at all. His time was coming up. Pats paid a ridiculous amount of money for him.
Yep, and his partner Mazz is an idiot. He should stick to baseball.

Mazz is doing a nice job of bobbing and weaving the point about Mankins decline. Keeps talking Mankins up like he was their best olineman last season. You have to listen to Felger and Mazz as pure entertainment and not take anything they say seriously. Although, Felger does seem to get serious when they talk Bruins.

Ow my bad, I just thought ever team in the league would have a good QB silly of me really
I would say most teams have a good QB, but very few have a franchise QB. In order to reach that point a QB has to master many different aspects of the position, many of which are mental and not purely physical. Even then you can have lots of issues holding the guy back, such as bad pass protection from the offensive line or a lack of talented wide receivers to throw to. Football is a very complex sport that requires great execution by an entire team, part of what makes it so great!

manfestival

Judging by Pats fans numerous emotional mixed reactions, I say congrats!

Yeah I have been reading all over the net the cries of the pats fans. The only thing im concerned about is if bill knows something we dont. There is also a possibility of getting incognito but I think its less likely now but there are plenty of teams looking into the option

Go eat a dick

Hey, you got a tight end in the exchange! Relax, you are doing fine.

ParityBit

Mazz is doing a nice job of bobbing and weaving the point about Mankins decline. Keeps talking Mankins up like he was their best olineman last season. You have to listen to Felger and Mazz as pure entertainment and not take anything they say seriously. Although, Felger does seem to get serious when they talk Bruins.

I agree there! I just wish they spent 5 minutes researching things before making some off kilter comment. I blame Beetle and whoever they have working research.

What is up with Detroit and QBs?

Scott Mitchell Got Fat And Will Be On The Biggest Loser.

k1vnqjmtwqyo3padflfy.jpg

I didnt even recognize him at first.

Always funny looking at how fans suddenly think a dude's washed-up and a bum when he leaves their team and joins someone else.

btw Steve Smith is old as shit and busted.

cdyhybrid

Poor Dutch.

Come to Vegas with me this weekend, we'll party it out!

That sounds good! Is even worth me trying to do a fantasy team without knowing people?

If you can find a league for beginners or one where people aren't serious about it, sure. Otherwise people might not like it if you do some dumb stuff and end up being a free win every week :p

I'd personally just wait until next season for fantasy, and just watch as many games as possible to familiarize yourself.

That sounds good! Is even worth me trying to do a fantasy team without knowing people?

I find playing fantasy helps me keep tabs on what other teams are doing, but I think it's more useful in sports with a long season where teams have like 3 or 4 games a week.

Fantasy Football is really predicated on who you know and what you see, where the draft really will be the bulk of your roster for the balance of the season. But if you think it'll help you have an interest in watching games, by all means. I would recommend just watching a bunch first though so you learn who people are.

Hunter S.

Yeah I have been reading all over the net the cries of the pats fans. The only thing im concerned about is if bill knows something we dont. There is also a possibility of getting incognito but I think its less likely now but there are plenty of teams looking into the option

Hey, you got a tight end in the exchange! Relax, you are doing fine.

Bill is suppossed to be a hard guy to play for. Welker spoke about being allowed to have a personality without bill breathing down his neck. Could be a breath of freash gata air for Mankins!

Vyroxis

Banned

That would be in a perfect world. Teams work with the best they can get, or hope to surround a mediocre/decent QB with better talent to compensate. Sometimes it works *cough*Flacco*cough*, sometimes it doesnt (LOLIONS).

ShaneB

My advice is to not do it just yet. I was a casual football fan for years, and only last season really got into following the sport more regularly. I'm in it this year for the first time, but it definitely helps to have a solid foundation of the sport and teams and players.

Also in what you said earlier about it always being competitive, it definitely is a big thing that each division only has 4 teams. Sure some divisions have a clear winner/favourite, but things can change so quickly in most of the divisions, and so much can change in the offseason, it still makes things seem like anything can happen.

Niven

It depends on how deep you wanna jump this first season, you go into fantasy you'll learn the players and teams quick.

Personally I wouldn't do a fantasy team yet. That's just me though.

I find playing fantasy helps me keep tabs on what other teams are doing, but I think it's more useful in sports with a long season where teams have like 3 or 4 games a week.

Fantasy Football is really predicated on who you know and what you see, where the draft really will be the bulk of your roster for the balance of the season. But if you think it'll help you have an interest in watching games, by all means. I would recommend just watching a bunch first though so you learn who people are.

My advice is to not do it just yet. I was a casual football fan for years, and only last season really got into following the sport more regularly. I'm in it this year for the first time, but it definitely helps to have a solid foundation of the sport and teams and players.

Also in what you said earlier about it always being competitive, it definitely is a big thing that each division only has 4 teams. Sure some divisions have a clear winner/favourite, but things can change so quickly in most of the divisions, and so much can change in the offseason, it still makes things seem like anything can happen.

Thank you all for all this input! Okay well I think I won't go for it yet then and I'll start by just watching and picking up peoples names and rules as the season goes on! Bring on the season!!

Top Bottom