• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

Syrinx

Updated SB odds from FO:

1. Denver Broncos: 16.9 percent
2. Green Bay Packers: 10.7
3. Seattle Seahawks: 10.1
4. New Orleans Saints: 7.8
5. New England Patriots: 7.1
6. Philadelphia Eagles: 6.5
7. Chicago Bears: 6.0
8. San Francisco 49ers: 5.6
9. San Diego Chargers: 4.7
10. Cincinnati Bengals: 3.1
11. Pittsburgh Steelers: 2.5
12. Indianapolis Colts: 2.5
13. Carolina Panthers: 2.5
14. Buffalo Bills: 1.6
15. New York Giants: 1.5
16. Minnesota Vikings: 1.4
17. Atlanta Falcons: 1.2
18. New York Jets: 1.1
19. Arizona Cardinals: 1.1
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 1.0
21. St. Louis Rams: 0.9
22. Dallas Cowboys: 0.7
23. Washington Redskins: 0.6
24. Baltimore Ravens: 0.6
25. Tennessee Titans: 0.6
26. Houston Texans: 0.4
27. Detroit Lions: 0.4
28. Kansas City Chiefs: 0.4
29. Cleveland Browns: 0.3
30. Miami Dolphins: 0.2
31. Jacksonville Jaguars: 0.1
32. Oakland Raiders: 0.01

:jnc
The fuck at Buffalo being at 14?

Konka

Banned
JMPWSxx.jpg

This will never make sense.

KingGondo

Banned
This whole ordeal is only going to look more and more ridiculous as the years go by.

And it only adds insult to injury that he'll miss training camp next year too.

BigAT

So the appeal was for nothing, the suspension is still a full year, plus now Gordon misses next year's training camp as well.

This was truly the most Cleveland outcome possible.

Tamanon

Banned
Gordon isn't going to be back next year either. You know he's going to get popped yet again, especially with no football. Stupid NFLPA.

Fox318

Updated SB odds from FO:

Why are the Jets and Cards below those highlighted teams?

Also best bet is the Lions. Am I wrong?

I'm spacing how close the Patriot Phins games usually are these days, does Brady struggle against them or does he feast? I guess it's harder to say since the Patriot offense was a disaster zone early last year.

If our pass rush gets to him earlier we keep the game close or even win, if we get no pressure he destroys our D

KingGondo

Banned
Ludicrous. What a farce.

I blame BG. Got my hopes up.
It was reasonable to expect less than a full season because of how long the appeals process took.

Why the fuck did it take so long for them to simply say, "nope, sorry, our original ruling stands"?

@jamisonhensley said:
When #Ravens play #Browns in Week 3, Ray Rice will be coming off suspension while Josh Gordon will be in early stages of his year-long one.
If that doesn't make you rage then you're a mouth-breathing Ravens fan.

Dragon

Banned
If our pass rush gets to him earlier we keep the game close or even win, if we get no pressure he destroys our D

That's pretty much how it goes for most teams against Brady. Inside pass rush specifically though he's older now so he can't do such a good job sidestepping.

It was reasonable to expect less than a full season because of how long the appeals process took.

Why the fuck did it take so long for them to simply say, "nope, sorry, our original ruling stands"?

Because they wanted to space it out from the Ray Rice ruling so it looked less ridiculous.

MechDX

Damn he got fucked over hard.

They even went out of their way to drag it out so he misses some of next year too.

Who says the league dragged it out? The last report said his agent was the one dragging it out looking for a lighter sentence.

Ive been vocal about the Irsay and Rice things and that they are both being handled wrong but everyone is so quick to judge the league on the Gordon situation. Fact is: Gordon knew the rules, has been busted before and was STILL an idiot.

cdyhybrid

Josh Gordon should take this opportunity to beat hell of of Roger's wife. What's two more games?

A year for smoking weed and 2 games for beating your woman.
Goodell's NFL.

I can't wait to see what happens with Jim Irsay (did it already happen? I've been out of the loop).

What a fucking disaster.

Irsay walks, I'm 99% sure.

NFL trying to soften it now saying reinstatement can be determined after the season.

That's how they all work. Year suspensions are all technically indefinite IIRC with the possibility of reinstatement after a year.

Why are the Jets and Cards below those highlighted teams?

Also best bet is the Lions. Am I wrong?
I laughed but seriously, who cares? People thought the Texans were potential contenders last year this time and....

That's about what I figured. I had to ask because Palmer is projected to get 6 more points than Brady this week and I was surprised to see Brady's projection so low against MIA.

Dragon

Banned
Who says the league dragged it out? The last report said his agent was the one dragging it out looking for a lighter sentence.

Ive been vocal about the Irsay and Rice things and that they are both being handled wrong but everyone is so quick to judge the league on the Gordon situation. Fact is: Gordon knew the rules, has been busted before and was STILL an idiot.

Gordon is an idiot, the rules are dumb. Ray Rice is an asshole. I think that's a perfect summation of this shit.

You guys seriously thought Gordon would get any different after what happened to D Wash? Gordon somewhat deserves it because the guy was so fucking stupid that he was caught in a car with a buddy holding weed WHILE UNDER INVESTIGATION for smoking weed. How much more stupid can you get? I don't mean he deserves a whole year btw, neither of these guys should miss that much time for this. I just meant he deserves a suspension when he's that dumb.

I laughed but seriously, who cares? People thought the Texans were potential contenders last year this time and....

That's about what I figured. I had to ask because Palmer is projected to get 6 more points than Brady this week and I was surprised to see Brady's projection so low against MIA.

Is gronk playing? That could be it too, without gronk its an average at best offense

If that doesn't make you rage then you're a mouth-breathing Ravens fan.

I breathe from my mouth, am a Ravens fan, and am pissed about both the light Rice handling and the heavy Gordon handling (even though I think he still deserved some time more than 2 games for being an idiot and this being his 2nd [or 3rd or 4th, I forget which he's on now] offense). Pls don't stereotype, tia

Bowser

Shut up man, do you want Greg Hardy on the team next year or not? ;)

Doesn't matter what I want, he's not going to be on the team. Best case he has a great year and we tag and trade him.

Taking into account the salary cap quagmire and the Kony Ealy pick, all signs point to this being Hardy's last year with the team.

cdyhybrid

You guys seriously thought Gordon would get any different after what happened to D Wash? Gordon somewhat deserves it because the guy was so fucking stupid that he was caught in a car with a buddy holding weed WHILE UNDER INVESTIGATION for smoking weed. How much more stupid can you get? I don't mean he deserves a whole year btw, neither of these guys should miss that much time for this. I just meant he deserves a suspension when he's that dumb.

"Under investigation for smoking weed" :jnc

That sentence is so ridiculous when you have a woman beater and a guy pushing prescription pills getting off with slaps on the wrist.

MechDX

I didn't know that before being drafted Gordon was arrested while passed out in a Taco Bell drive through with former Texan Willie Jefferson. :jnc

That sentence is so ridiculous when you have a woman beater and a guy pushing prescription pills getting off with slaps on the wrist.

I don't think anyone is arguing this. Fact is Gordon has already been busted numerous times and continued to do it.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 55s
Pot meet kettle MT @ProFootballTalk Josh Gordon expresses disappointment that hearing officer "didn't exercise better discretion & judgment"

Ouch.

Crisco

Banned
The fact that the NFL's recreational drug policy is totally inappropriate, especially in light of their lack of a domestic abuse policy, is basically irrelevant here. Gordon knew the rules, this was his umpteenth offense going back to high school, and he has no one to blame but himself. If anything, his and his agents attempts to exploit the Ray Rice situation for his own benefit was worse than anything the NFL has done.

Doesn't matter what I want, he's not going to be on the team. Best case he has a great year and we tag and trade him.

Taking into account the salary cap quagmire and the Kony Ealy pick, all signs point to this being Hardy's last year with the team.

You're probably right, but I still don't like the idea of letting a guy with his talent level walk. I'd be ok with it if we get some picks for him though.

cdyhybrid

I didn't know that before being drafted Gordon was arrested while passed out in a Taco Bell drive through with former Texan Willie Jefferson. :jnc

I don't think anyone is arguing this. Fact is Gordon has already been busted numerous times and continued to do it.

I know, I'm just saying those words being put in that order makes me laugh.

You usually see "under investigation for murder" or "under investigation for rape" etc.

Gordon is an idiot, the rules are dumb. Ray Rice is an asshole. I think that's a perfect summation of this shit.

Can we also add in something about at least some Browns fans being either dumb or naive. "it was secondhand smoke" lol, almost as funny as "Manziel rolling up a dollar in a Vegas bathroom is for a perfectly legitimate money folding reason and not at all coke-related"

Yeah I know, it's funny. They need to abolish this rule but while it's in place, these two morons shouldn't have had repeat offenses. Sucks for both our teams and hopefully this rule goes away in the future but probably won't under Goodell.

squicken

Good that Gordon gets a whole year imo. 8-10 games and what's the point? Browns lose a year of him at a cheap salary. This way they still have him under contract the extra year, assuming he ever gets his life together. Either way, have to proceed like he's never playing again. Should've taken Watkins

Updated SB odds from FO:

Dolphins rolling with Jameis next year? Should I just accept this now or what?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Good that Gordon gets a whole year imo. 8-10 games and what's the point? Browns lose a year of him at a cheap salary. This way they still have him under contract the extra year, assuming he ever gets his life together. Either way, have to proceed like he's never playing again. Should've taken Watkins

But now they have JFF and they'll have both the #1 and the #2 pick in next years draft.

cdyhybrid

Browns should sign Kevin Smith. He was doing some nice things in training camp for us but got cut in the drop to 75 because our WR group is too deep.

BigAT

Come on, you have to admit bias, or at the very least severe naivety, was responsible for this thought process.

I can't think of anyone but Browns fans who truly thought the suspension was going to be reduced. He got a DUI in the middle of the appeal!

Konka

Banned
Yeah I know, it's funny. They need to abolish this rule but while it's in place, these two morons shouldn't have had repeat offenses. Sucks for both our teams and hopefully this rule goes away in the future but probably won't under Goodell.

Just because something I'd a rule doesn't mean you can't selectively apply it. The feds aren't arresting people for selling weed in co or wa.

So this Gordon suspension is just for the failed drug test right? The league could still go forward with punishment for the DUI later if they want?

Top Bottom