• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

I don't know what people expected with Gordon. Dude broke the rules like six times to get to this point, plus the penalties are laid out in the CBA, which the Union agreed to.

Is it ridiculous compared to the Ray Rice suspension? Yes, but only because Rice deserved more, not that Gordon deserved less.
Agreed.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Three domestic violence arrests = three drug busts

so yeah, pretty much exactly what you said.

I thought you were smarter than this, apparently not. Clearly, its painfully obvious I'm speaking about first offense vs multiple offense. But paint whatever picture you want.

Even Madden is trolling me at this point.

BwDXU3aIUAAHYwV.jpg

eznark

Banned
I thought you were smarter than this, apparently not. Clearly, its painfully obvious I'm speaking about first offense vs multiple offense. But paint whatever picture you want.

First v. multiple only matters if the offenses are similar. To me they aren't.

gutshot

Patrick Peterson signed a five-year, $70 million contract extension on July 29, with a signing bonus of $15,361,000. The bonus came in a lump-sum check, not direct-deposited.

He has not cashed the bonus check yet.

He told me, “I just haven’t gotten around to it.”

Must be nice.

Crisco

Banned

The thing is, you can't really blame the NFL for how it treats recreational drug offenses vs. violence towards women. It more or less mirrors how the actual American criminal justice system treats the two. You're far more likely to go to jail for smoking pot than you are for hitting your wife.

I don't know what people expected with Gordon. Dude broke the rules like six times to get to this point, plus the penalties are laid out in the CBA, which the Union agreed to.

Is it ridiculous compared to the Ray Rice suspension? Yes, but only because Rice deserved more, not that Gordon deserved less.

Gordon failed the drug test by about as thin of a margin as you could possibly get, and his second sample didn't fail.

Even considering his repeat violator status, the punishment does not fit the crime. The league could have very easily considered the test inconclusive.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

so then why is everyone trying to compare the sentences of the two? Cause thats exactly what you and everyone else is doing by saying weed = 1 year Ray Rice beat the shit out of his girl x games!!!1one

furthermore, why arent more people actually outraged or whatever at the actual criminal justice system? He was not charged, tried, convicted and subsequently sentenced to any crime. I actually believe had he been sentenced to jail time, not only would he have missed any games (if applicable) during that time, he would have been suspended much longer.

Do i think he should be suspended longer than Josh Gordon? Absolutely. And as i have previously stated, I dont think Gordon should be suspended at all for his weed use, the DUI, is a different story.

Gordon failed the drug test by about as thin of a margin as you could possibly get, and his second sample didn't fail.

Even considering his repeat violator status, the punishment does not fit the crime. The league could have very easily considered the test inconclusive.

Hey, I agree with you. Sucks he got caught. Still....after all his previous infractions, you'd kinda hope that he would make it so there would be no chance he could fail, instead of a really slim chance. You know, by not smoking weed.

He needs to wise up, because if he had passed that test initially, do you really think he'd say, "Wow, really cut that one close. I learned my lesson and will now stop all my shenanigans?"

eznark

Banned
so then why is everyone trying to compare the sentences of the two? Cause thats exactly what you and everyone else is doing by saying weed = 1 year Ray Rice beat the shit out of his girl x games!!!1one

furthermore, why arent more people actually outraged or whatever at the actual criminal justice system? He was not charged, tried, convicted and subsequently sentenced to any crime. I actually believe had he been sentenced to jail time, not only would he have missed any games (if applicable) during that time, he would have been suspended much longer.

Do i think he should be suspended longer than Josh Gordon? Absolutely. And as i have previously stated, I dont think Gordon should be suspended at all for his weed use, the DUI, is a different story.

I'm confused. People are comparing the punishments because they were meted out by the same authoritative body. Most people aren't bitching about the Gordon thing (except for the process) they are bitching about the leniency of Rice's punishment.

To me knocking your wife unconscious and dragging her down a hallway is more severe than smoking weed an infinite amount of times.

jakncoke

Banned
That's scary.

Who the fuck decided to make eyes with logos where the pupil goes?

People that thought like this. Hmm X prosthetic eye goes for 500(idk what they go for) if we make a team logo eye we can get a super fan to pay 850 and it cost us about 50 cents more to produce!

bionic77

People that thought like this. Hmm X prosthetic eye goes for 500(idk what they go for) if we make a team logo eye we can get a super fan to pay 850 and it cost us about 50 cents more to produce!
How many customers though?

Seems like a custom thing. Can't imagine there is any kind of real demand for this.

Hey, I agree with you. Sucks he got caught. Still....after all his previous infractions, you'd kinda hope that he would make it so there would be no chance he could fail, instead of a really slim chance. You know, by not smoking weed.

He needs to wise up, because if he had passed that test initially, do you really think he'd say, "Wow, really cut that one close. I learned my lesson and will now stop all my shenanigans?"

The margin was so thin that Gordon's legal team argued to the league (and will presumably argue if it goes to court) that it was from secondhand smoke. And they might have a pretty decent case.

Do I think Gordon needs to stop hanging around potheads? Given the league's dumb drug policy, absolutely. But people need to stop acting like the league's hands are completely tied by the CBA and they have no ability to exercise discretion when it comes to punishment for drug tests.

And if we can at least agree that the league's drug policy is dumb, hopefully we can also agree that Gordon potentially suing them for it is a good thing.

jakncoke

Banned

His failed test would of passed in mlb, olympics and even the dea

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Kave is a a Raptors fan I believe

Yeah I forgot for some stupid reason.

He's even more screwed than your average Cleveland fan. That's an achievement.

Edit: Josh Gordon suspension is a joke. Ray Rice got two games and a bit of weed gets you an entire season.

MechDX

Listening to 610 here and the host asked Ted Johnson how Belechick would handle Watts contract. Teddy laughed and said he would franchise tag him and ask him to take a team friendly deal. Lol

Bread

Banned
Listening to 610 here and the host asked Ted Johnson how Belechick would handle Watts contract. Teddy laughed and said he would franchise tag him and ask him to take a team friendly deal. Lol
Just like he did with Gronk, Mayo, and Hernandez right!?

MechDX

Just like he did with Gronk, Mayo, and Hernandez right!?

Money well spent on Gronkowski and Hernandez.

ESPN has their team by team breakdowns with final records up:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...nalysis-game-game-predictions-more-every-team

Have Texans going 8-8/9-7. One game prediction I found odd was from their Advanced
Football Analytics, has us losing to the Giants 34-7 while every other game is close.

EDIT: NFL.com has the floor/ceiling predictions for the AFC up:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-among-afc-teams-whose-ceilings-are-sky-high

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
This is probably old news, but..

Ware has also been dabbling in an eastern medicine technique called "cupping," where he lies flat on his stomach and puts a bunch of empty jars on his back. A hot flame is put in them, and it supposedly "sucks that bad blood out" of your pores.

dionysus

Yaldog
This is probably old news, but..

I've had cupping done to me. It definitely works, especially in conjunction with massage, to remove knots from your muscles.

It is basically a reverse massage. Instead of pushing against the muscle, you pull on it. It works on the same principle as well, increasing blood flow. It is not bullshit alternative medicine.

That description is specifically intended to make it sound like bullshit. The flame is used to create a minor vacuum in the cup (the hot air cools creating a vacuum once the flame is removed). This sucks the skin up into the cup and causes a pull on your muscles.

Edit 2. It also definitely pulls blood through the muscle to the skin. After I get it done I will have dark purple circles wherever the cups were left for an extended period of time.

Crisco

Banned
I've had cupping done to me. It definitely works, especially in conjunction with massage, to remove knots from your muscles.

It is basically a reverse massage. Instead of pushing against the muscle, you pull on it. It works on the same principle as well, increasing blood flow. It is not bullshit alternative medicine.

That description is specifically intended to make it sound like bullshit. The flame is used to create a minor vacuum in the cup (the hot air cools creating a vacuum once the flame is removed). This sucks the skin up into the cup and causes a pull on your muscles.

Edit 2. It also definitely pulls blood through the muscle to the skin. After I get it done I will have dark purple circles wherever the cups were left for an extended period of time.

So it's like giving yourself a bunch of artificial hickeys?

Money well spent on Gronkowski and Hernandez.

ESPN has their team by team breakdowns with final records up:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...nalysis-game-game-predictions-more-every-team

Have Texans going 8-8/9-7. One game prediction I found odd was from their Advanced
Football Analytics, has us losing to the Giants 34-7 while every other game is close.

EDIT: NFL.com has the floor/ceiling predictions for the AFC up:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-among-afc-teams-whose-ceilings-are-sky-high

They think the Cowboys are finishing ahead of the Giants and Washingtons? jnc.

Top Bottom