• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

zychi

Banned
I'd probably get a Bone if it was $299 with a game packed in.

Since I already own a PS4, it takes a bit to justify buying a more underpowered console that has ~95% of the same titles.

Plus I might need to replace my 6970 at some point.

I can already hear ez and others telling me to upgrade my PC instead haha

Must be nice to not be influenced by exclusives. I only own a Xbone just for Halo and Gears of War.

I'll grab Madden, NHL and COD on it cuz that's where my buddies are who play those games. Everything I can grab I get on PC, and the few exclusives for Sony just for my PS4.

I tried to talk myself into not getting an Xbone, but the second they announced the Halo Collection, I was in.

dionysus

Yaldog
You must've missed this morning.

They have over $24m in cap room. I thought they'd give him $20 this year. AJ extension incoming!

Enlighten us on the details. Googling and a quick ESPN check didn't have anything but the total amount over 6 years. Sorry I don't twitter like you youngsters.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Enlighten us on the details. Googling and a quick ESPN check didn't have anything but the total amount over 6 years. Sorry I don't twitter like you youngsters.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123962669&postcount=5437

I think we're still waiting on the full details beyond that. Ez is looking at what the Bengals would/should have given him this season since they're flush with cap room. He's speculating because they're leaving a bunch open that AJ Green might get an extension.

eznark

Banned

$12m guaranteed, $5m roster bonus in three days. So essentially $17m guaranteed.

It's more than Kap but that's a hedge on the Bengals part in case Dalton actually does figure it out. They have $24m in cap space this year so they want to use some of that up. I think the 49ers generally operate at cap so they didn't have the same luxury.

Yeah the AJ thing was a joke.

@ProFootballTalk 5m
Actual base value of Andy Dalton extension is six years, $96 million, per league source. Escalators can push it higher. Full story coming.

jakncoke

Banned
I had to lol at his rookie contract though. Last year if the Bengals cut him he'd only count as 667 dollars in dead money, this year 333.

dionysus

Yaldog
$12m guaranteed, $5m roster bonus in three days. So essentially $17m guaranteed.

It's more than Kap but that's a hedge on the Bengals part in case Dalton actually does figure it out. They have $24m in cap space this year so they want to use some of that up. I think the 49ers generally operate at cap so they didn't have the same luxury.

Yeah the AJ thing was a joke.

The 12m is a signing bonus not the full extant of the guaranteed money. (I think.) We still don't know enough.

Pepiope

Just so we are clear we are talking about a back up having to step in for a few games right? Why in the world wouldn't you want Vick over butt fumble or Barkley? If Foles is out the year none of the guys get you anywhere but of the 3 Vick gives you the best chance. And especially if he has to step in for 2-3 games.
If Foles is out for the year then Vick wouldn't get us anywhere either. Sanchez and Barkley and younger and are cheaper, so why pay more for the same results?

The pick was garbage when it was made. Was total nepotism, Ryan's kid and Boyd were tight at Clemson. It was one of Rexs picks.

Hard to get mad about a 6th rounder not working out but everybody saw this result happening from a mile away.

I was honestly surprised that he was even drafted.

The 12m is a signing bonus not the full extant of the guaranteed money. (I think.) We still don't know enough.

Which is roughly in line with what Squidward got from the Niners. The difference here is they are giving him a 5 million roster bonus instead of 2 and that will likely be just for this year to bring the initial value of the contract up.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/colin-kaepernick/

I would take a guess that the Bengals will structure Dalton's contract similarly. I'm going to guess that because of the initial roster bonus, Dalton's guaranteed money will be in line with Kaps but a bit less in the 55-60 million mark.

EDIT: 22 million guaranteed by Feb? Yeah, that's fucking great for the Bengals. Curious to see the overall guaranteed money on the full contract. It won't be anywhere near 96 million.:)

BigAT

Bengals were smart to extend Dalton. Just look at this beautiful touchdown pass to AJ Green.

wildtd.gif

MechDX

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer · 50s
Dalton's deal has a base value of $96 million over six years. I assume escalators get to the larger numbers. $17 million guaranteed.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 1m
Bengals deal with Andy Dalton, like many others, will be pay as you go. His fully guar $ comes in 2014 - $18M. Makes $22M total by next Feb

17 million guaranteed. Not that bad actually EDIT: two different numbers.....but neither number is bad or cap killing like Flacco's

jakncoke

Banned
With how much cap going to rise by 2016 and only being on the hook for that little for the worthless ginger. Thats pretty great deal.

Dragon

Banned
Dalton's actual contract is announced and no one has a word to say.

Shocking.

Otherwise known as an "I told you so" post by eznark. Brought to you by Dota2, watch Dota2's international event where 18 year olds become millionaires playing a game that was stolen by Valve from Blizzard!

Cheaper than market rate

Dalton is a worse version of Stafford, I don't know what's cheap about it! What's the market rate for mediocrity? Flacco's contract is insane but at least he won a SB!

cdyhybrid

Otherwise known as an "I told you so" post by eznark. Brought to you by Dota2, watch Dota2's international event where 18 year olds become millionaires playing a game that was stolen by Valve from Blizzard!

Nah, Blizzard had nothing to do with it other than providing the ability to create custom maps.

ShaneB

Gutshot, Romania trick worked for me. Said fuck it and just sprang for Season Plus if I need a football fix in the offseason like I did this year. Nice savings to get it for 186!

Outs? I need to read the details in the Flacco contract...

flaccodeal.jpg

sad-man.jpg

Can't help Newsome going silly on that one.:)

Here's the full details on Dalton:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...7-million-now-22-million-through-early-march/

The rest of the base deal is simple. In addition to annual workout bonuses of $200,000, Dalton has base salaries of $10.5 million in 2016, $13.1 million in 2017, $13.7 million in 2018, $16 million in 2019, and $17.5 million in 2020.

Unlike the Kaepernick deal, which loaded up the base value artificially and then used de-escalators based on playing time and team or personal achievements, Dalton’s deal potentially goes up, not down.

If in any year he participates in 80-percent of the regular-season snaps and the Bengals get to the divisional round of the playoffs (via wild-card win or bye), he gets another $1 million in each additional year of the deal. If he qualifies at any point for the conference title game (with 80-percent playing time in the regular season), another $500,000 flows into the base value of the deal, for each additional year. If he wins a Super Bowl he won’t be driving off in a Hyundai; Dalton will get another $1.5 million per year for each remaining year of the deal.

So if the Bengals win the next Super Bowl this year and if Dalton participates in 80 percent of the regular-season snaps in 2014, he’ll get another $18 million over the life of the deal, pushing the new-money average from $16 million per year to $19 million. Getting to the divisional round this year pushes the new-money average to $17 million.

The contract nevertheless remains, like Kaepernick’s, mostly a year-to-year proposition, with Dalton being guaranteed as a practical matter two years and $25 million. That’s a lot more than he would have made over the next two seasons if he’d played out his rookie deal and then been slapped with the franchise tag. Beyond 2015, however, it’s a one-year-at-a-time existence no different than Kaepernick’s.

For all intents and purposes, it's a two year, 25 million guaranteed deal.

$25 mil guaranteed between this week and this time next year, and he can earn all of the rest except for $19 million (playoff/Super Bowl-related win incentives)

nfl contracts aren't completely guaranteed. only the "guaranteed" and singing bonus money is. they could cut flacco now and would be done with it.

...and deal with a ridiculous amount of dead money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco/

You would have to be a moron to cut Flacco with that amount of dead money hitting your cap. He isn't cuttable until 2018. They'd still eat 15 million in 2017. That's a /horrible/ contract for the Ravens. Flacco is no doubt happier than a pig in shit.

eznark

Banned

Dalton is a worse version of Stafford, I don't know what's cheap about it! What's the market rate for mediocrity? Flacco's contract is insane but at least he won a SB!

You mean Games Workshop.

What's cheap is the contract. His contract is cheaper than Kap. If he is shit they cut him and move on with almost no dead money. He has shown the ability to play well though and they have a talented team, so it's worth $25m to find out.

For all intents and purposes, it's a two year, 25 million guaranteed deal.

Mike Brown da god

MechDX

Im really intrigued to see what Russell Wilson asks for. He could use Flacco's deal as his best example and comparison.

eznark

Banned
Im really intrigued to see what Russell Wilson asks for. He could use Flacco's deal as his best example and comparison.

The next really interesting one is going to be Scam. Wilson and Luck are still two years away probably, unless the team instigates.

Dammit cdyhybrid! I'm trying to shit on eznark with irrelevancies to distract him from being right (this time!)!

Everyone knows all of Blizzards assets were stolen from GW bro.

Also it's not that I was right, it's that all the "lol Bungles" or "lol 49ers" or "lol Packers" after these signings but before the details is so stupid.

Top Bottom