• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has the world come to when some chump with a man bun can believe he's God's gift to women?
Only in America friend..

Yup...perhaps this will cause you to take some time for personal reflection, try to figure out where you went wrong. Mech is a lost cause...but you don't have to be. I believe you can be a better person Floyd!
I'm trying to be a better positive person. BG even notices my attempts to better myself

Mindlog

QXntGe9.jpg

There. I just saved him five minutes of work.
Haters gonna hate. Lovers gonna love.
drip drip drip

Bread

Banned
QXntGe9.jpg

There. I just saved him five minutes of work.
Haters gonna hate. Lovers gonna love.
drip drip drip
but how else will we know that the kicker is inaccurate!? how else will we know that everyone else thinks they made a dumb decision!?

brevity is not the soul of wit, fool.

MechDX

Why should anyone give a fuck about players on another teams roster? I'm sure you shed tears every time a Pats player gets IR'd.

I don't but I don't play FF either.

Fuck this type of scenario:

"Man sucks our team lost today. Heart breaking."

"Yeah but the opposing running back against us gained 140 yards rushing so I won my FF game!"

I want punch fans like this right in the damn mouth. I know it's not all FF players but fucked it all

MechDX

If Texans defense is as good as its looking like it can be, I could see Lamar Miller getting a lot of carrries.

He's never been a work horse kind of back so we'll see how he holds up.

Texans defense has potential to be really damn good. Don't remember who but someone last week compared them in this preseason to the 2013 Seahawks defense in that preseason. The way they are swarming to the ball

Think it may have Rosenthal from NFL.com

Farooq

Banned
ESPN did an interview with Matt Ryan. It is a great interview and insightful. Delves into the mind of a QB. Link.

THE MAG: Here's a number that jumps out: In 2012, there were seven QBs with an average release time under 2.5 seconds. 
In 2015, there were almost triple that, 20. Is that what defenses have done, forced nearly everyone on offense to move faster?

RYAN: Pressure schemes are much different than they were nine years ago, no question about it. That pressure forces offenses to route-adjust and throw quicker and get the ball out of the QB's hands. For me, pressure is when they overload one part of your protection. If you're in five-man protection and you've got three guys blocking one way and two guys sliding the other and they figure out how to bring three guys to that short side? To me, that's pressure. That's the biggest thing that's changed. Nine years ago, if you had five-man protection and they brought five people, there wasn't enough design on defense for them to still get you. Now defenses are dropping out tackles and ends, bringing certain linebackers on certain sides, all this extra design to make the numbers not right from a quarterback's perspective. What you end up with is perceived pressure, which is just as bad. That part has been increasingly difficult and probably leads to why so many guys are getting the ball out quicker.

i

Part of that new "design" is specialty personnel packages on what seems like every down now.

In the past, it was all about third downs. Second downs, you never had to worry. Now you do. One of the areas that's changed is second-and-7 or second-and-long, where you're in a passing situation. Now you see a lot of specialty packages come out. It's much more prevalent. Early on in my career, we didn't even used to break down second-and-long. That's how much things have changed.

What does that look like from the pocket?

It looks like nothing, and that's the challenge. It's now become about reading the defensive front, the way they're lining people up. But it doesn't look like it has any kind of structure to it. You've got five guys just walking around. That's one of the things you see more and more of: nobody with their hand in the dirt. So now you come to the line of scrimmage and on top of everything else you have 
to first identify who the bigs [defensive tackles] are, who the ends are and who the linebackers are. That's tough to do.

The idea of a classic matchup between a team's best edge rusher and your giant left tackle seems so antiquated. Then you realize that it was, like, five years ago.

That's so different now. Defenses have changed in how they move those guys around so much to try to find your weakest spot and put their best guy there to expose that. When I was getting into the league, you knew exactly where Julius Peppers was gonna line up. But now, with guys like J.J. Watt -- he could be lined up outside, he could be on the left side, he could be on the right side, it doesn't make a difference. He's an equal-opportunity pass rusher -- he goes after everybody from anywhere.

Watt is also part of this new trend of hybrid defensive players.

That's probably the biggest change: hybrid guys. Look at our rookies: De'Vondre Campbell [fourth-round pick from Minnesota]. You never used to see a linebacker like this, 6-4 and 232 and runs a 4.58. He flies. Back in the day, you'd never have a tight end on a linebacker in third-down situations. It was always a safety walking up. But now with a guy like Keanu Neal [6-0, 211-pound rookie safety, first-round pick from Florida], these guys are interchangeable. You slide him outside and then they've got you thinking, "OK, now we need to pass-protect for a linebacker." You're looking for the 'backer and then, instead, he covers the tight end and they bring a safety off the edge. They got me on that just the other day in practice.

Has it gotten to the point where defenses force you to study and prepare and think so much that you end up with paralysis at 
the line of scrimmage?

That's why it's so important now to throw everything out from the previous week. Delete everything from your memory and focus on just that next scheme -- that's the biggest thing now about being a quarterback. Every week it's different schemes, different pressures, different hybrids to worry about, so it's control-alt-delete and on to the next defense and then control-alt-delete and on to the next one, for the entire season. If you start seeing ghosts from past games or past schemes, you're just back there thinking too much, like, "Is this this defense or that defense? Am I checking this play off this key or that key?" That's not what you want to happen.

Besides the mental pressure applied by the defense, there's pressure on fundamentals to be as efficient as possible, right?

The big thing in throwing now, you have to be able to throw from any platform because the timing of when things are open is really short and there's so many variables that affect your footwork. Your feet could be facing right, but things change or break down and now I need to throw left. My hips are facing this way, but, same thing, uh-oh, now I need to throw the other way. Footwork, flexibility, changing arm angles, all those things are very important now because you never really know how a pocket is going to shake out.

If you were teaching a young QB to face this next generation of defenses, where would you start?

See spots. That's my thing now. The older I've gotten, the more that's become my thing. Don't worry so much about where defenders should be or where they're supposed to be or all those kinds of things. Just see spots. And design most of your pass plays to be spot-read instead of coverage-based. Instead of getting loaded down thinking, "In this coverage, I'm going here; in that coverage, I'm going there." With so many hybrid players, so many variations of schemes and so much pressure up front and all the things that defenses can do, the way to combat all that is to see spots.

Aaron Rodgers told me the game moves so fast now, all you really can read are flashes of space and color. Is that what you mean?

Windows, yes. You start with a general idea of the coverage, but what's more important now is if you've got a post route that's going [to the deep middle], I need to be seeing this spot of the field, with 
this spacing, and if that window's not open within this certain timing, then you move on to that next spot and then to the next spot. You've got to feel it now more than ever.

Do these snapshots open and close like a camera lens? And can you prolong them?

Yes, so the key becomes doing things like having your head facing this way to fool the defense, but actually I'm looking at this lens over here, watching out of the corner of my eye to see if it opens, without showing the defense that's what I'm doing. Being able to move somebody to create that little bit of extra space needed to fit 
the ball in there, that's what's important for quarterbacks now. It's about kinesthetic awareness. Spatial awareness. The game moves so fast now, understanding space by reading body language is probably the most important thing.

We're into neurology and subconscious processing. I mean, when QBs get together, do you guys lament the good old simple days, like five years ago?

We are under constant barrage in the pocket now. Facing it requires a certain feel, a sixth sense. Because the minute you're looking at the edge rush and not downfield, you're toast. That's what separates quarterbacks now, the ability to process all that information in a millisecond, make a good decision based off that snapshot and then to physically be able to get the ball to where you want it to go

That stadium looks great I just cant imagine a team actually moving here. The Raiders will be the road team against almost every team they play. There are tons of Cowboys, Seahawks, 9ers, Cards, and Eagles fans out here already. Plus fans of other teams will travel like crazy I am sure to see their teams in Vegas. If Davis moves the Raiders here he would be giving up any homefield advantage that the team would ever have.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
That stadium looks great I just cant imagine a team actually moving here. The Raiders will be the road team against almost every team they play. There are tons of Cowboys, Seahawks, 9ers, Cards, and Eagles fans out here already. Plus fans of other teams will travel like crazy I am sure to see their teams in Vegas. If Davis moves the Raiders here he would be giving up any homefield advantage that the team would ever have.

This reminded me, for the last couple of years there's been a bit of commentary on the myth of home field advantage. I'd like to think it's still valid but I've never looked into it.

Dolphins don't seem to have much of a home field advantage

Great article farooq.

I just don't see how you can have draft clearly dumb QBs like Goff so high when you need to be really smart to read coverages week to week in the NFL these days.

This reminded me, for the last couple of years there's been a bit of commentary on the myth of home field advantage. I'd like to think it's still valid but I've never looked into it.

I think every year some announcer will go on about how home teams win more games then road teams every year. I am not sure what the actual numbers are but I am curious how people who dont believe playing at home is an advantage would explain that.

Crisco

Banned
Home field definitely helps nowadays when so many teams are playing young or just plain shitty QBs named Matt who get rattled easier on the road.

Great article farooq.

I just don't see how you can have draft clearly dumb QBs like Goff so high when you need to be really smart to read coverages week to week in the NFL these days.

Well, football smart and real world smart are totally different things. When you've been playing football since you could walk and talk you can get away with being a complete moron in every other aspect of your life.

Also on the subject of being clearly dumb, what is up with this diagram?

i

Which idiot thought it was a good idea to make both sides of the ball the same crappy shade of blue and leave the play art as readable as one of those magic eye pictures? You don't need giant blue X's on the diagram if you've already written LB, CB, NB etc. to label every defender you goddamn fucknuggets.

Why would he care as long as the stadium is full and people are buying $18 beers.

TheFatOne

Looks like Stork isn't going to retire after all. I think it's a bad move for his long term health, but I understand why he's going to play. Hope for the best for Stork as a Redskin.

Great article farooq.

This is one of the reasons I was so happy to get Wentz. As I recall he had the highest wonderlic in the QB draft class.

Bread

Banned
I wonder if GM Bill or Coach Bill made the call on this one. I could see GM Bill thinking that he's smarter than the Browns, but I could also see Coach Bill thinking he's smarter than the Browns.

TheFatOne

Apparently Barkevious Mingo worked out with a bodybuilding granny this offseason, which helped him raise his weight from 227 pounds to 251 pounds. Good to hear. I have zero expectations for him but I'd love to see him become another Belichick reclamation project.

He's just too light, but you never know. Maybe Bill can work some magic.
I wonder if GM Bill or Coach Bill made the call on this one. I could see GM Bill thinking that he's smarter than the Browns, but I could also see Coach Bill thinking he's smarter than the Browns.

Could be an injury thing. Sheard and Nink being out so Bills looking for a stop gap for a little bit.

Colasante

He's just too light, but you never know. Maybe Bill can work some magic.

Could be an injury thing. Sheard and Nink being out so Bills looking for a stop gap for a little bit.

No, apparently Belichick has coveted Mingo for some time. He was dangled as trade bait last midseason, but I'm guessing the price was too high. And while he definitely was too light in the past, if he's legitimately at 251 he'll be fine. Akeem Ayers looks light too and he worked well as a pass rusher at 254.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom