• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
eagles are going to pay more money for ryan tannehill 2.0 in a few years and pepoope's talking shit about russ

MechDX

Happened to be the QB of the team with one of the best defenses in NFL history. Cool.

Still overrated :)

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/1734/is-russell-wilson-the-greatest-young-quarterback-ever

If you want Dan Marino to be better, that's fine. At the very least though, I think it’s time we recognize Russell Wilson not just as a game manager, or someone who was in the right place at the right time. We have to look at Wilson as opportunistic – a quarterback who does what he’s asked to do when called upon. Really, are we sure his numbers would suffer if he were to see more opportunity? Are we certain that Russell Wilson is just a product of good coaching, a good defense and smart play calling? Of course that all plays a role, but let's not make it seem as though Wilson's done little.

Wilson's done everything right.

The Greatest Young Quarterback of All Time

I’m a believer. I believe we’re watching the best young quarterback in NFL history.

That’s not to say he’ll end up as the best passer to ever play the game, or that other players – like an Andrew Luck – won’t outperform him from here on out. This is just to say that, even if we throw quarterback wins (a stupid statistic) out the window, Russell Wilson still wins.

And perhaps the best part is that, unlike Gary Coleman, Russell Wilson will only be getting better with age.

You-Salty.gif

MechDX

Not a single QB in this league I would take over Russell at this point. None.

And that includes Rodgers.

I'd rather pay the defense that got me a ring, not the QB who lost the defense a 2nd one.

Please tell me what players Seattle's defense has lost due to Russells contract and has lessened their defense?

You sound like the same people who keep repeating over and over that Brrock was paid too much. Brock was paid the going rate for a QB in this league because the Eagles were morons and gave Bradford stupid money.

cdyhybrid

I'd rather pay the defense that got me a ring, not the QB who lost the defense a 2nd one.
That same defense gave up a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter. And we're paying them too, so your argument is faulty. Besides, everyone knows that the Pats cheated in that game. If we had to throw that interception to unveil their deception it was well worth it.

Also, throwing an INT in the Super Bowl (or even in the playoffs period) would be the greatest accomplishment of any of your three QBs careers!

Please tell me what players Seattle's defense has lost due to Russells contract and has lessened their defense?

You sound like the same people who keep repeating over and over that Brrock was paid too much. Brock was paid the going rate for a QB in this league because the Eagles were morons and gave Bradford stupid money.

I would kill for Russell on my team but taking him over Rodgers? Bruh. If you account for youth, maybe, but for talent, no way in hell.

Also, the Seahawks lost Bruce Irvin this year. But I think he was lost because they didn't pick up his fifth year option.

cdyhybrid

I would kill for Russell on my team but taking him over Rodgers? Bruh. If you account for youth, maybe, but for talent, no way in hell.

Also, the Seahawks lost Bruce Irvin this year. But I think he was lost because they didn't pick up his fifth year option.
They let him go because they weren't willing/able to pay him what he'd get on the market.

Also, it's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario, but they're saying they're going to play a lot more nickel this year, so Bruce wouldn't have been on the field as much.

Digging up on dirt in the old threads and I came across this post which really is a gem all the way around, it must be said

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128003435&postcount=7404

I dunno, that sounds exactly like what JFF was doing!

bionic77

Wussle is a piss poor pocket qb. Definitely a system qb. If you keep him in the pocket he is probably not going to beat you. Granted you can win with him if you have the best defense in the league, but fuck the Broncos just showed us last year that if your defense is good enough and the Bungles hurt enough of your competition that you can win with a corpse for qb.

Mech needs to lay off the drugs.

I'm snitching to the Savage one about this betrayal at the next meeting of the Toms*

*Much like the HOF, Br*dy has been blackballed from meetings

Raiders 1st depth chart.

CpWm2L4VMAEPh_v.jpg

Notes-

2nd round pick Jihad Ward is listed as starter at DT after having a strong camp and tossing Osemele around like a rag doll.

No surprise 1st round pick Karl Joseph is slated to start at SS.

4th round pick Connor Cook has been unable to unseat McGloin at backup QB.

MechDX

Youth is one reason but Russell has proven to be clutch. Bionic? What QB isnt a "system QB"? A good coach will build and mold his system around a QB's strength. Dumb argument.

Digging up on dirt in the old threads and I came across this post which really is a gem all the way around, it must be said

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128003435&postcount=7404

How can I be held accountable for the choices a QB makes when buying a working alarm clock?

cdyhybrid

Wussle is a piss poor pocket qb. Definitely a system qb. If you keep him in the pocket he is probably not going to beat you. Granted you can win with him if you have the best defense in the league, but fuck the Broncos just showed us last year that if your defense is good enough and the Bungles hurt enough of your competition that you can win with a corpse for qb.

If a piss poor pocket QB puts up a 118.6 rating in the pocket, sign me up!

They let him go because they weren't willing/able to pay him what he'd get on the market.

Also, it's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario, but they're saying they're going to play a lot more nickel this year, so Bruce wouldn't have been on the field as much.

So Russell's contract had to have something to do with that. I see it as a loss you're willing to take as a Seahawks fan though.

MechDX

That's why its so good!

Mech has been spot-on on Jiffa and dead wrong on every other QB ever.

Matt Schaub going to get that MVP in Atlanta next year and I will be proven right again.
Mallett taking over for Flacco and leading the Ravens to the playoff

Now if only Ron would have wised up and insert Kaves boy Derek Anderson in the Super Bowl it could have been different

Watch the Steelers vs Seahawks game again. Russell styled on us from the pocket. I had the same opinion you did of Russ before that game.

bionic77

Youth is one reason but Russell has proven to be clutch. Bionic? What QB isnt a "system QB"? A good coach will build and mold his system around a QB's strength. Dumb argument.
You could put elite qb's like Rodgers and Big Ben in any system and they would excel because they can fucking slang the football in the pocket. Peyton used to be like that before he died. Not sure Eli is there or not. He is a tough one to read. One day he looks like the best player in the world. The next he looks like someone who is going to struggle to make the high school team.

cdyhybrid

So Russell's contract had to have something to do with that. I see it as a loss you're willing to take as a Seahawks fan though.
I guess? You could also point to Earl/Sherman/Wagner/Bennett's upcoming contracts for the same reason. It's not like Russell is the only guy getting paid.

Pepiope

That same defense gave up a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter. And we're paying them too, so your argument is faulty. Besides, everyone knows that the Pats cheated in that game. If we had to throw that interception to unveil their deception it was well worth it.

Also, throwing an INT in the Super Bowl (or even in the playoffs period) would be the greatest accomplishment of any of your three QBs careers!
That defense was playing against one of the best QBs to ever cheat the game.

Russell is good. Definitely above average, but he is overrated. He does not elevate the players around him like a Rodgers or Brady. Not worth the contract when you could've kept guys like Maxwell and Irvin

MechDX

You could put elite qb's like Rodgers and Big Ben in any system and they would excel because they can fucking slang the football in the pocket. Peyton used to be like that before he died. Not sure Eli is there or not. He is a tough one to read. One day he looks like the best player in the world. The next he looks like someone who is going to struggle to make the high school team.

Werent you one of the Steelers fans here bitching about the offensive system holding Ben back when Arians left?

cdyhybrid

Russell is good. Definitely above average, but he is overrated. He does not elevate the players around him like a Rodgers or Brady. Not worth the contract when you could've kept guys like Maxwell and Irvin
...The same Maxwell that looked like the worst CB in the league for your team? That Maxwell?

9bDy8pw.png

Bread

Banned

this old man is so out of touch smh

cdyhybrid

He was actually not bad. Our DC was shit though.

Not every player fits every system. He was great in Seattle.
He was alright. He still gave up his fair share of plays, but having the other three guys in the secondary made that alright. We certainly wouldn't have paid him what the Eagles did even if we didn't have to pay anyone else.

Pepiope

He was alright. He still gave up his fair share of plays, but having the other three guys in the secondary made that alright. We certainly wouldn't have paid him what the Eagles did even if we didn't have to pay anyone else.
Ya. We all knew he wasn't worth what the birds paid him, but let's not act like losing him was addition by subtraction for Seattle.

Ah..the "stacked team" argument. Only time a QB elevates his teammates is if they are garbage without him, and a team like that ain't winning shit. Just ask late Era Colts Peyton or Aaron Rodgers.

Who hasn't styled on us from the pocket?

When you get no pressure and can't cover even goobers like Flacco will tear that shit up.
we sacked Russ twice. Yeah we had coverage issues, but he made the throws from the pocket, which i didn't think he could do previously. It wasn't the only game he did that in either.

BigAT

Eagles have a QB taken first overall AND a QB taken second overall.

Greatest collection of QB talent in NFL history imo.

Giants had a QB taken first overall AND ANOTHER QB taken first overall.

Objectively a greater collection of QB talent and one that has never been beaten.

bionic77

we sacked Russ twice. Yeah we had coverage issues, but he made the throws from the pocket, which i didn't think he could do previously. It wasn't the only game he did that in either.
Wussle is definitely one of the better qb's in the game today, but I was responding to Mech's insane point that he was the BEST qb in the game. Even though I think Ben is better than him right now, I would probably be ok swapping Ben for Russle just because of his age. Ben probably doesn't have that much left in the tank, while little Russle is going to be playing for a long time yet and is going to continue to improve, barring injury.

As a pure passer, probably only Rodgers throws a consistently better ball. But he still has to improve his play in the pocket to be truly elite IMO.

I hate everything about that little bastard Russell 4Leafs and fully admit it.

But the track record speaks for itself at this point. He was the best QB in football the second half of last season and is absolutely top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom