• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, as good a guy as Teddy is and as promising a future as he may have
/ have had :(
, the Vikings weren't SB contenders with him and they aren't gutter trash without him.

They can pair the zombie corpse of Shaun Hill with Scrotum Slasher and that defense and still be in the hunt for a wildcard spot this year.

Mindlog

Ventured into the Hilary approval thread... Yeah...

Looking forward to the Week 1 Disrespect Bowl. Let's go RBH. Hope you have plenty of lighter fluid.
NH9gE7v.gif

Ventured into the Hilary approval thread... Yeah...

Looking forward to the Week 1 Disrespect Bowl. Let's go RBH. Hope you have plenty of lighter fluid.
NH9gE7v.gif

Yeah I love parts of gaf, but my god there are parts that are so crazy. The idea that the only reason anyone could ever have for disliking Hilliary is that she is a woman is so insane.

Farooq

Banned
MMQB has a great interview of Saban.

His take on reforming the draft process and the differences between the college and pro game.

On reforming the draft process for underclassmen

I’m not opposed to guys coming out early for the draft. And for the most part, there have only been a few guys who have not made a good decision. Part of that has been, we’re open all the time. When scouts come in, I always tell them to look at all of our potential guys because I want them to be able to get accurate information. Having been in the NFL, there are two parts to the draft: There’s what a guy’s draft grade is, and there’s where he’s going to be drafted. That gets affected by supply and demand and a lot of other things. Well, it’s very difficult for the NFL to just submit a junior draft grade. They don’t have background on the guy, speed on the guy, measurements.

So I recommend that instead of waiting until December for guys to submit grades, why don’t we do it in the spring before the season? When your seniors work out and get measurements, they can actually test the younger guys and give them all the tests, the Wonderlic and all the stuff they do at the combine, so that they have the information. Then they can evaluate that guy through the season just as they do the seniors. So when you do submit your name, you get a much more accurate assessment.

If you’re not going to get drafted in the first two rounds, you should’ve stayed in school.

But the inaccurate information is what the external world uses to convince guys they should come out. In other words, you can get a Back to School grade, but there’s a bunch of people telling you six guys got drafted in the first round that got Back to School grades. So you should come out anyway, because they might be wrong. And you can go to the combine and improve your draft status. What they don’t understand is, once you enter the draft, everyone is looking for reasons not to draft you. Character checks, physically, mentally, everything. They’re looking for reasons not to draft you. Well, most people go down, not up.

The basketball model doesn’t work. We can’t say, “You declared for the draft. Go to the combine and do all of this stuff, and if it doesn’t work out come back.” We have 85 guys on scholarship. We would have 15 guys doing that every year. I wouldn’t know in March when spring practice hit, who we would have available. Then how could you manage your recruiting numbers? It just involves too many numbers.

We had a conference call [with the NFL] about it. I think everyone was in agreement. Basically I called, Jimbo [Fisher], Dabo [Swinney], Bob Stoops, Urban [Meyer]—guys that have a few guys every year, and tried to get their input. This is the comprehensive input from all of us. Then we had a conference call with the competition committee, and they had some ideas too. Whether this gets implemented next year or not, I don’t know, but I haven’t seen a lot of resistance from either side.

On the growing divide, stylistically, between the college and NFL game

Yeah, I kind of do think there is. There’s one rule that affects that: linemen downfield. Because what college offenses have done, we call it RPOs [Run Pass Options]. If you're on a running play, and these two guys are on a slant, and the quarterback just pulls the ball and goes on a slant and the offensive linemen don’t even know if it’s a pass. So it’s impossible to coach defensive players.

That rule has changed college football dramatically. I’m not saying it’s good, bad or indifferent. But if you don’t do that as a college team, you’re not taking advantage of a rule that grants you tremendous latitude in how you play offense. However, in doing that, the quarterback doesn’t really have to go through a progression, doesn’t have to read coverage, doesn’t have to change a protection. He doesn’t have to be an NFL quarterback. From that standpoint, the skill players on offense don’t develop in the same system that they will learn to play in the NFL.

Does it affect defensive players? Probably not as much, even though they get put into some impossible run-pass conflicts. They’re still learning how to take on blocks, they’re still learning how to read plays, they’re still learning how to cover people. I’m not sure it affects the defensive players all that much. I do think it affects the quarterback, and his development. These guys can have tremendous success and not be NFL ready. Blake Sims was a great example of that. AJ McCarron is going to be a fine NFL quarterback and he ran what was basically an NFL system. But Blake Sims was not that kind of guy. Blake actually set [Alabama’s] all-time record for total offense, but as an NFL quarterback he didn’t have a lot of opportunity.

If anyone ever moonwalks and throws a TD during a regular season game I will declare them the best player in the game.

If they did it in the playoffs we would all have to agree on them being a living legend.

If someone did it in the SB they would instantly become the GOAT and anyone who disagreed would be sent to Florida.

Even if it was Brady?

Jarnet87

Bridgewater has similar passing stats to Wilson in his first two years, but i do not think he is anywhere near Wilson so do not see him making that kind of jump.

So what? Doom and gloom for an 11 win team last year that has asstastic QB play.

In this case, yes. Ever report has been about how much better Teddy has looked this camp, how he is taking command of the offense and such. Now I know a lot of that stuff can be bluster but there was at least reason for Vikings fans to be optomistic. Now there is none. Hill is garbage and they wont make a move to get a good replacement. The D and AP might be enough for them to win more then the lose, and maybe even still make the playoffs but they will not do anything when they get there if they do. This is a huge lose for them I am surprised to see you try to downplay it.

MMQB has a great interview of Saban.

His take on reforming the draft process and the differences between the college and pro game.

Saban really boils down the quarterback difference. People are complaining about the dearth of NFL caliber QBs - how many of these college guys even sniffed an NFL offense?

I was watching Hard knocks the other day and the narrator was talking about how Jared Goff, the first QB taken n this year's draft, had never taken a snap from under center until he got drafted. Think of how many reps he'll have to take before it's second nature, or if it even WILL be second nature. That's a huge missed variable and that's for the first QB taken!

Saban really boils down the quarterback difference. People are complaining about the dearth of NFL caliber QBs - how many of these college guys even sniffed an NFL offense?

I was watching Hard knocks the other day and the narrator was talking about how Jared Goff, the first QB taken n this year's draft, had never taken a snap from under center until he got drafted. Think of how many reps he'll have to take before it's second nature, or if it even WILL be second nature. That's a huge missed variable and that's for the first QB taken!
Of the teams in the top 10.. I think 5 of them run a pro style offense. The others run a lot of spread.

And this also effects linemen to an extent too with the adjustment to having a QB under center. That internal clock about how long you got to hold that defensive end is going to be different too.

That's why I am so excited for Wentz. He played in a pro-style offense in college, unlike many QBs. He took snaps under center. He just didn't take as many of them as you would like to see.

Hindl

That's why I am so excited for Wentz. He played in a pro-style offense in college, unlike many QBs. He took snaps under center. He just didn't take as many of them as you would like to see.

Not only that, but he called his own protections and adjustments. Howie just needs to go all in on 2017 getting him a RB and then just spend the rest of the picks on WR and OL, with a sprinkling of LB. Let the defense carry him for a few years while he develops

Bitanator

Not only that, but he called his own protections and adjustments. Howie just needs to go all in on 2017 getting him a RB and then just spend the rest of the picks on WR and OL, with a sprinkling of LB. Let the defense carry him for a few years while he develops

hi-res-91b9f2d7c4c23f8c78cbbeabc154eb29_crop_north.jpg

Line_HTX

That description is so gruesome, no wonder some players vomited off to the side.

How good is Minnesota's defense though? Can they carry the team?

Hindl

Damn lack of 1st :( if he fell to the 2nd I'd love him but I doubt that. Luckily between him, Cook, McCaffrey, Chubb, and others, someone should fall to the 2nd. Goddamn 2017 is stacked for RBs

That description is so gruesome, no wonder some players vomited off to the side.

How good is Minnesota's defense though? Can they carry the team?

They're good and young and also pretty deep. They should be able to carry the team to a few wins, although like we saw in the playoffs, without an offense they won't be able to get deep in the postseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom