• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
Why do people keep saying the battery is dead? What do you think is making that clicking noise, gremlins under the hood? Clicking = electricity = a battery that is still holding charge. If it was dead then literally nothing would happen when he turned the key. Honestly if the car made it to 160k on the original starter than he should consider himself lucky.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Why do people keep saying the battery is dead? What do you think is making that clicking noise, gremlins under the hood? Clicking = electricity = a battery that is still holding charge. If it was dead then literally nothing would happen when he turned the key.

It's what happens when there's not enough juice to turn the engine. Could be the starter, but start with the easy stuff.

Why do people keep saying the battery is dead? What do you think is making that clicking noise, gremlins under the hood? Clicking = electricity = a battery that is still holding charge. If it was dead then literally nothing would happen when he turned the key. Honestly if the car made it to 160k on the original starter than he should consider himself lucky.

Yeah. Sounds like a problem with the starter itself.

I always wonder what locker rooms think when a guy who played his ass off gets cut anyway.

That doesn't bode well for my Terrance West fantasy pick.

I think Forsett was scheduled to make $3 mil so maybe just coming in at a cheaper option. Honestly, I know the guy had a great year under Kubiak but struggled since, but he's a good back and much better option than West, in my opinion.

Generate

Banned

Incorrect. When my battery dies it clicks like that. Twice it happened and the battery was done. It isnt silent, it just doesnt engage the starter.

bionic77

Incorrect. When my battery dies it clicks like that. Twice it happened and the battery was done. It isnt silent, it just doesnt engage the starter.
I have had the same happen to me but it is probably the alternator. I can't see a battery just dying like that in the summer.

That's my guess. And since that died he will probably need a new battery as well to go along with it.

Crisco

Banned

Sure, but he said it's not even trying to turn the crank, which it would be if it was exclusively a power issue. I can't be 100% sure diagnosing over the internet, but what he's describing sounds like a dead starter.

Line_HTX

Start with the jump start and go from there. A few weeks ago I had to replace the battery because I suddenly had clicking noise and it wouldn't start, turns out the battery couldn't even hold the charge. It was random because the car was fairly brand new so I thought it was the starter, but it didn't make sense since I managed to jump start it.

gutshot

Just get the battery tested. Most places will do it for free. I went to Batteries Plus and they tested it, determined it was dead and then replaced it all for just the cost of the new battery. It took like 15 minutes.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Will a jump work with a dead alternator?

Yes. You people need to get your hands dirty once in a while.

If the car starts, remove the jumper cables and then put a voltmeter across the battery. If it's not reading 14+ volts, the alternator is shot. If it's 14+, drive the vehicle to your local car parts store and have them check/replace the battery.

Colasante

Glad the Patriots were able to get Rufus Johnson to the practice squad. They're deep at defensive end but if anyone goes down, he'll be the next man up. Cool to see the Bishop Sankey addition too. No better place for him to rehab his value than New England.

Vyer

no, i had the same thing with just a bad battery.

Line_HTX

If the car starts, remove the jumper cables and then put a voltmeter across the battery. If it's not reading 14+ volts, the alternator is shot. If it's 14+, drive the vehicle to your local car parts store and have them check/replace the battery.

In addition to never using a Samsung phone before, bionic apparently has never tried opening the hood to check and do some simple car work himself.

brentech

I've never owned an Android phone, but after having two different android tablets, I don't think it's something I want to get into.

Definitely some features I wish I had, but ultimately too many problems once I owned them for a year+

MechDX

Multiple teams trying to sign Texans ILB Rashad Cliett to their PS.

Cliett was the guy on Hard Knocks last year who tore his ACL in the first episode. Good coverage ILB

Edit: Steelers fans when was Dupree injured? Going on IR

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ouch. That hurts.

W7zRuVW.gif

Or just disconnect the battery after you start it. If it keeps running, alternator is fine and you have a dead battery.

Also to the dude trying to start your car, do you have lights or anything, or is it completely dead? If it's your starter you should still have lights etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom