• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 10 |OT| Wish You Were Here

mr2xxx

Banned
We are in TMZ mode over here. Honestly I thought the whole hitting his mom with Lupus and attacking the cops over a cartoon was a joke but it is actually real?

wee-bey-gif.gif

ChanHuk

Banned
I don't know why I'm excited that the Raiders are activating Aaron Curry, maybe its because I have hope that he remembers how to tackle. He can sure hit though, Marcus McNeil can testify to that.

Milchjon

We are in TMZ mode over here. Honestly I thought the whole hitting his mom with Lupus and attacking the cops over a cartoon was a joke but it is actually real?

wee-bey-gif.gif

I refuse to believe that purse-lupus-thing isn't someone's re-narration of the events. The first sentence alone makes it unbelieveable to me.

Bowser

img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-l4nq-K82Kqo/Tz5OLnwW8hI/AAAAAAAAAyg/vVZ3SaAyIJc/s200/wee-bey-gif.gif[/img]

Wow, what a fine avatar you are sporting there my friend! Tell me, when was the moment you knew that you were a true Panthers fan?

beast786

I never have the guts to ask people foe money, hell even my parents used to sneak money in my book bag. Then again I don't know how I would react if i needed money for my love ones health.

I used to work two jobs and tutor but still used to feel very uncomfortable during my undergrad and grad college days if my dad ever wanted to pay for anything.

my first issue with him was that he won't return money back to people who help save his mother life, before enjoying his addiction. Even though it was 5 months apart.

I personally feel he lied. in US you get automatic qualification for dialysis via medicare if income ever is an issue. hence, being in medical field I never bought that BS reasoning.

http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/10128.pdf

Unless , they choose home service, then that's there own choice and not about getting treatment or not

mr2xxx

Banned
Wow, what a fine avatar you are sporting there my friend! Tell me, when was the moment you knew that you were a true Panthers fan?

How could I not be a fan of such a mature upstanding citizen. Who else will my kids model themselves after when they don't get their way?

squicken

So I have a question, and this isn't a political one. But I guess the election is some sort of a referendum on this 538 blog's methodology of predicting presidential elections. So since there's two parties, wouldn't it also be a referendum on the coin I just flipped?

edit:
A league source tells PFT that Payton wanted to be sure that Loomis would be present to serve as a buffer between the coach and Rita Benson LeBlanc.

Officially listed as owner/executive vice president of the team, LeBlanc is expected to have more, not less, power during the term of Payton’s next contract. So Payton prefers not to have to deal with LeBlanc. To ensure that Payton won’t have to, Loomis needs to be there.

Maybe, then, if that term can’t be included, Payton really won’t want to stay in New Orleans.

bionic77

So Romney is a Pats fan, and Amir0x might be too. Today has not been easy on my fandom.
:lol

All I can say is I told you so.

Somewhere SNES is smiling. And it isn't a refractory period smile after looking at some WiiU videos. This smile is about karma and justice about his ban.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So I have a question, and this isn't a political one. But I guess the election is some sort of a referendum on this 538 blog's methodology of predicting presidential elections. So since there's two parties, wouldn't it also be a referendum on the coin I just flipped?

You don't analyze the model by just looking at who wins although I'm sure thats what the media will do.

Greg

DiCUQ.jpg

Talon

Pundits spew bullshit and are consistently wrong: no consequence.
Statistician aggregates polling data and samples based on demographics to create a projection: WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC?
but isn't his actual methodology proprietary? I really haven't paid much attention to it but it seems like it's quite the internet furor
Silver used to work for Baseball Prospectus. He's celebrated 'cause 538 got 49 out of 50 states correct in 2008, and he backdated it to 2000 and 2004 to judge it. Pretty accurate.

The thing that people don't seem to get is that it's just his model. He's not even putting his opinion out there, and he repeatedly says, "this is a projection based on the polls, not a judgment of any sort."

eznark

Banned

edit:

Only if you think Americans are just as likely to vote Republican as Democrat and that the choice is entirely random.

squicken said:
But I guess the election is some sort of a referendum on this 538 blog's methodology of predicting presidential elections. So since there's two parties, wouldn't it also be a referendum on the coin I just flipped?
That's a bit of an oversimplification in that it doesn't take into account the electoral college, the different pathways to the presidency when taking swing states into account and the massive amounts of polling that happens in the months leading up the election. Silver's a statistician when all is said and done and the referendum is on whether the methodology he uses to project the winner is correct or not and whether the underlying math is "sound".

The math was sound in 2008 but at the time Silver was a small unknown guy who didn't get anywhere near the level of national attention he's getting in this election. The fact that he's been calling it for Obama for months now is also making him easy fodder for the right who are desperate to disprove him.

squicken

okay but if it's all sound don't we need lots of samples to bear that out. so he worked in baseball. there's like 500 plate appearances a year. i'm not saying he's wrong, i just need a little more info before i accept it as much as everyone else

as far as the peculiarities of the electrical college, you could look at realclearpolitics and see which way the wind was blowing today

Talon

The thing is 538 was super popular with politicos and college kids back in 2008. The fact that he was bought by big bad librul New York Times (and apparently the fact that he looks like a dork: there was some nitwit that called him "womanly") makes him an easy target.

I took a poli-sci class on Presidential elections/history with a former Nixon and Clinton aide that year. Most informative and timely class I ever took. We spent the first ten minutes of each Monday going over where the money was going. Halfway through October, all the money (banks, insurance) was overwhelmingly going to Barack. Industry likes a winner.
okay but if it's all sound don't we need lots of samples to bear that out. so he worked in baseball. there's like 500 plate appearances a year. i'm not saying he's wrong, i just need a little more info before i accept it as much as everyone else

as far as the peculiarities of the electrical college, you could look at realclearpolitics and see which way the wind was blowing today
So his model takes a composite of state-by-state polls. For states, such as, Maine that might not have as many polls, he uses polling data from areas with similar demographics to fill in the gaps. He also weighs the polls based on historical accuracy (which, IMO, seems like the most variable factor).

He was super, super transparent in 2008 about his methods. I haven't paid as much attention to 538 this year. But you can only be transparent to a point. It's his breadmaker, after all. Actually, what am I saying, he made bank when Baseball Prospectus sold to Stats, INC.

*Futurevoid to the rescue. Looks like he aggregated everything he said in '08 in one nice page.

squicken said:
i'm not saying he's wrong, i just need a little more info before i accept it as much as everyone else
So take a look at his methodology and make that decision yourself.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/methodology/

Silver doesn't even care whether you (or anyone) think he's right or wrong. Well I'm sure he does to an extent :)) ) but as noted, he puts the information out there not as an opinion supporting a specific candidate for political gain but as purely statistical data. You can decide what to do with it if you feel the methodology is sound.

Talon

The idea that a statistical model could be partisan is what's stupid. It's numbers! How does Silver possibly gain from having a flawed model?

I imagine it's people ticked off at the notion that the election actually hasn't been as close as they'd like to think. I was back in Atlanta two weeks ago, and...the shit I heard on the radio. Hermain Cain apparently does a daily bit where he yells for a solid 7 minutes about something.

Apparently the Obama administration makes it impossible to fire employees for not being courteous.

eznark said:
Whatever you think of him, dude has to be shitting himself tonight.
Indeed. The fact that he's gotten the level of attention he has is both a blessing and a curse. If he's right, his statistical model stands to gain that much more attention post election and will no doubt get plenty of attention come the next presidential election cycle. If he's way off, credibility goes right down the toilet...

bionic77

The day after the election is always pretty hilarious.

The old ladies at my office will be fucking pissed if Obama wins. And everyone else will be pissed if Romney wins.

If Obama wins the coverage from Fox is going to be amazing must watch tv for the next week. No idea how they respond if he wins. They spent the last 4 years trying hard to get him out of office. No idea which direction they will go after this election if Obama wins.

I think you are throwing your vote away if you vote for Johnson, but honestly I am annoyed that I don't get to vote for a candidate who will ever offer up the choice of cutting the military and stopping us from getting involved in foreign wars and instead investing that money in infrastructure. The cheeseheads in wisconsin have gone long enough with dial up and instead of spending trillions bombing brown people maybe we should spend some of that money at home and get those Packer fans teeth and FIOS (I would also like FIOS).

squicken

The thing is 538 was super popular with politicos and college kids back in 2008. The fact that he was bought by big bad librul New York Times (and apparently the fact that he looks like a dork: there was some nitwit that called him "womanly") makes him an easy target.

I took a poli-sci class on Presidential elections/history with a former Nixon and Clinton aide that year. Most informative and timely class I ever took. We spent the first ten minutes of each Monday going over where the money was going. Halfway through October, all the money (banks, insurance) was overwhelmingly going to Barack. Industry likes a winner.

I have my politics but I'm not dogging on it b/c I don't like or like what I read. I just don't think he gets validated on predicting two elections, elections most people could have called the day before they took place.

Top Bottom