• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 10 |OT| Wish You Were Here

Vesmir

Banned
cutlerhit.gif

That ballerina trotting away after the hit.

^ No, they determined he was beyond the line and it was an illegal forward pass, therefore calling an illegal shot on the quarterback is incongruous and was incorrect.
I thought the refs blew that call but maybe I'm thinking of another play. Regardless, it looks like a head-shot to me so who cares if he's a QB or a RB?

I realize that all of these questions are rhetorical as I'm talking to the ultimate Cutler hater who will always find a way to spin stuff against him, though.

Bowser

Went to the Carolina game yesterday and sat through that entire humiliation. To make matters worse, what should have been a 1-hour flight back to NYC at 6am this morning ended up taking ~6 hours due to fucking fog. FOG. Ended up getting into work about 4 hours late :|

Will have some more thoughts after work, but man, this has been a tough season.

eznark

Banned
I thought the refs blew that call but maybe I'm thinking of another play. Regardless, it looks like a head-shot to me so who cares if he's a QB or a RB?

I realize that all of these questions are rhetorical as I'm talking to the ultimate Cutler hater who will always find a way to spin stuff against him, though.

Because there is no helmet to helmet flag against a ball carrier.

And I don't hate Cutler. I love him and want him to be safe and to remain the Bears quarterback for all time.

Because there is no helmet to helmet flag against a ball carrier.

And I don't hate Cutler. I love him and want him to be safe and to remain the Bears quarterback for all time.
Ah, I guess I was wrong about the rule, then. If the call on the field was an illegal forward pass (which it was) then I agree with you that no foul should have been called for the hit.

I still think one of his feet was behind the line, though. :)

ari

Banned
MINN is a running team. The effect for your secondary, which is the best part of the unit wont matter.

That game will be played out just like the Houston game. They will run it down your throat. At home minn wins. Percy will be back also.

i honestly don't see the vikings taking one from the packers or bears. The lions are a breed of new shit to let ponder do that to them also. If i remember correctly though, texans offense stalled drastically in the second half after the adjustments. So meh on that "run down our throat" as if the bears run D are frauds or something.

squicken

Colts put Jerraud Powers on IR. Really don't see how they can hang with NE. Brady will eat the young guys alive, and Indy's offense isn't as good as people think it is

ari

Banned
Colts put Jerraud Powers on IR. Really don't see how they can hang with NE. Brady will eat the young guys alive, and Indy's offense isn't as good as people think it is

the bills gave the patriots a scare. I am sure the colts can give them go.

eznark

Banned
Even as a packers fan, i can't believe you are contesting that hit. seriously.

If you are running down the middle of the field you should probably protect yourself. He got hit straight on while running the football. I really don't get how it's a flag but eh, NFL football isn't really football I guess.

AirBrian

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

False. And also false.

An outside of the pocket QB is considered a runner and is no longer protected. Unless they updated the rules since Colt got killed.

Section 2, Article 9:

Article 9 It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless
posture.
(a)􀀃 Players in a defenseless posture are:
(1)􀀃 A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2)􀀃 A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to
protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or
warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3)􀀃 A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4)􀀃 A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5)􀀃 A player on the ground at the end of a play;
(6)􀀃 A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;
(7)􀀃 A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and
(8)􀀃 A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and
approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.​
(b)􀀃 Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1)􀀃 Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or
shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless
player by encircling or grasping him; and

(2)􀀃 Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of
the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.
Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a
conventional tackle on an opponent.​
Not QB, not RB. Player.

Spinluck

So fucking injury prone, Jesus.

Powers is usually terrible at defending some of the more deeper routes, but he was pretty good on the short, intermediate simple routes. And is usually a decent tackler, he's been inconsistent this season, but it still hurts us a good deal that he's done.

squicken

the bills gave the patriots a scare. I am sure the colts can give them go.

The Bills have the personnel to exploit those slow LBs better than Indy does. Not that the Colts won't score, they just can't keep up. Unless Freeney and Mathis go off, I just don't see Brady not killing them

I'm not saying it can't be a good game, but it's not going to live up to the Present vs Future game it will be billed as

Talon

I demand that from now on John Kuhn dives head first into the pile and chucks the ball over his head at the same time.
I'm sure if he wore a number between 1-19, he'd be treated a little differently*.

*Does not apply to Cleveland, Jacksonville or Philadelphia.

Greg

I looked it up last night and forgot to post it - I'm pretty sure this is the the ruling they applied (Rule 8 under forward passes):

Roughing the passer rules apply on all passes (legal or illegal) thrown from behind the line of
scrimmage (12-2-13). If a pass is thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage, unnecessary roughness
may apply for action against the passer.

A bit absurd to me, but I guess they made the right call.

eznark

Banned
I looked it up last night and forgot to post it - I'm pretty sure this is the the ruling they applied (Rule 8 under forward passes):

A bit absurd to me, but I guess they made the right call.

shhhhhhh

no idea how it took someone this long

I'm full in to high draft pick mode now. We're currently picking fourth. Cheering for a Chiefs win tonight!
Me too Broham, it might sound kinda sad but I want Jimmy and the new staff to have the number 1 pick to play with after season. Or atleast a high enough pick someone will trade for. I want us to take Jarvis Jones right now though, and grab some other picks.

Greg

shhhhhhh

no idea how it took someone this long
Joking aside, it does seem like a valid strategy to turn a blown play into a wash though. The difficult part is getting the ref to make the roughness call, but I'm sure certain quarterbacks wouldn't have a hard time selling that.

A blown Patriots play resulting in a 1yd slide by Brady vs. another take on the down? I'm sure it's not beyond them.

Huh. I'm surprised they actually accounted for that situation.
There's even a specific reference to a similar play under the supplemental notes section - it's the last example of 8 given:
Third-and-15 on A30. During a forward pass from beyond the line on the A40, defensive player B1 tackles A8
by the facemask on the A40. The ball falls incomplete.

Ruling:Double foul (14-3-1). Replay at the previous spot. A’s ball third-and-15 on A30.
swap facemask with any other roughness call and you have yesterday's call

jakncoke

Banned
What type of OT would GAF like? Personally going into 2 and if a 3rd is need going to some sort of hybrid college style wouldnt be so bad imo

Rorschach

You can do whatever the fuck you want to runninbacks. Just destroy them, no one really gives a shit.

They're dispensable. Like the Gatorade out of the Gatorade dispenser they had back when I played football.

I think it's because RBs lower their shoulder all the time and their objective is to try to get lower than you. They're bound to butt heads. Still, there are like zero rules for RB protection. They're still not protected from horse collar are they?

Mrbob

They're dispensable. Like the Gatorade out of the Gatorade dispenser they had back when I played football.

Hey guys, I think Rors is trying to tell us something post after post! You should try out for your team. Go join the Raaaaaaiiiiiidddddaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss.

eznark

Banned
Joking aside, it does seem like a valid strategy to turn a blown play into a wash though. The difficult part is getting the ref to make the roughness call, but I'm sure certain quarterbacks wouldn't have a hard time selling that.

A blown Patriots play resulting in a 1yd slide by Brady vs. another take on the down? I'm sure it's not beyond them.

There's even a specific reference to a similar play under the supplemental notes section - it's the last example of 8 given:

swap facemask with any other roughness call and you have yesterday's call

I'm not. Go print off the rulebook, it's like the damn tax code. Someone pointed it out to me yesterday when I was bitching about the call, though. Does seem like something that could potentially be exploited but the risk is probably not worth the reward.

Top Bottom