• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL WEEK 15 |OT| Everybody Stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized the strong possibility of Seahawks missing the playoffs. Their last two games are against teams they already lost to, and they need one win.

(Checks schedule)

home vs. SF
home vs. STL

(Check's Seattle's home record this season)
6-0 (8-0 including preseason)

I don't believe in this "strong possibility" you mention

Greg

I'm getting ready to watch it again too.

Painful as it may be, I have to watch the games a second time to be able to comment on it thoughtfully. Live I'm busy with texts, GAF, AIM, BBI, fantasy football etc.

I hope you're currently listening to Eli on Fatcessa.
hide your electronics

squicken

Never knew Giants had an issue w/ Boudreau. Either way he's been a huge upgrade over the guy STL had last year. OL is definitely not terrible, even with injuries

The Atlanta Falcons’ offensive line came into its playoff game against the Giants in January with a reputation for dirty play. It was so bad that Justin Tuck said, “Most people, you would call them dirt bags.”

Since then the Falcons have fired their offensive line coach and apparently cleaned up their act.

“Definitely,” Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora said on Thursday. “They’re not playing the way that they played. They’re just trying to straight up block you. That’s what they’re trying to do. None of that dirty, after the play, all that stuff they were doing last year.”

The Giants believed last season that the Falcons were taught by their offensive line coach, Paul Boudreau, to cut block — a technique defensive players believe endangers their knees. And many defensive players around the league agreed. Boudreau, who was replaced in Atlanta by Pat Hill, is now the offensive line coach with the St. Louis Rams.

“I didn’t even know they had a new offensive line coach, but he’s definitely cleaned that up,” Umenyiora said. “I think he’s just more interested in winning and trying to block people than trying to hurt people.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...rds-clean-act-article-1.1219949#ixzz2FLtsH08Z

Talon

I literally laughed out loud.

Pat Hill is the dirtiest fucking coach in the country - college and pro. When he was Head Coach at Fresno State, he used to make his gunners take a cheap shot on returners - even on fair catches. When asked about it, he said it was worth the 15 yard personal foul to "send a message." Complete scumbag.

Really the only hire that I've been upset with under the Dmitroff era.

I never thought Boudreau was any worse than Alex Gibbs in regards to cut blocking. Our guys weren't quite as lean under Boudreau. Clabo and Dahl were always the fake tough guys that would shove after plays.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Do any of you jokers use a facial hair trimmer? I don't want an electric shaver, I just need to trim. I had something really similar to this guy but the plastic attachment got chewed up by the blade. Looking for something that will last a little longer.

MechDX

Do any of you jokers use a facial hair trimmer? I don't want an electric shaver, I just need to trim. I had something really similar to this guy but the plastic attachment got chewed up by the blade. Looking for something that will last a little longer.

Ive owned two beard trimmers my entire life, both were Conair brand. Got the second one becuase I lost the attachments to the first one in a move. Current one is about 5 years old now.

WedgeX

Banned

I do. I use a Remington PG 360. Comes with a fair amount of attachments, and has lasted 2 years so far. It says it doesn't require oil for maintenance, but I do anyhow. Works splendidly, cuts evenly. I typically use it about once every two weeks. And only $20 so if it does die I won't feel bad about it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That's my trimmer! Mine works fine other than I don't use it often enough and the wife gets naggy about it. The price was good, that's for sure.

harSon

Banned
god this season fucking sucks

It does, but it wouldn't be a bad season to tank considering this draft seems to have depth at positions we're in need of for the future.

I'm still hopeful about making the playoffs though, depending on our injury situation going into it this final two game stretch. We only have to beat the Bengals and Browns to get in, and both games are at home, so it's not exactly the most impossible playoff route to obtain. If we do make the playoffs, our ability to win will depend entirely on the health of the team. If Ike, Colon, and Woodley make it back, and no new injuries are sustained, then I think we have a decent shot considering we typically decide to play good football against formidable opponents.

I do hope the Texans win the 1st Seed, which is likely considering they only need one more victory to lock it. If we do make the playoffs, and manage to get past the first round, I'd prefer not the play Denver considering the Clark's condition...

Call me the eternal optimist, but I think every successful team should have a season like this every now and then to assess where they are as a team. Steelers have gotten fat with success in recent years and they needed to be busted down some.

harSon

Banned
Call me the eternal optimist, but I think every successful team should have a season like this every now and then to assess where they are as a team. Steelers have gotten fat with success in recent years and they needed to be busted down some.

It also helps to get decent draft positions for once. If we didn't tank in the 2003 season, we likely wouldn't had won our last two Super Bowls.

jakncoke

Banned

We def need to make some moves to shake up this roster in the offseason even if we luck into the playoffs

DeaconKnowledge said:
Giants just don't have an opening to talk shit after getting their asses whipped.
Convenient since Osi's comments were during the week leading up the game.

There is a date on the column afterall (12/13).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

It's not eternal optimism, I think you're on the money.

Wouldn't getting shamed by Tebow be enough of wake up call already?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I just realized the strong possibility of Seahawks missing the playoffs. Their last two games are against teams they already lost to, and they need one win.
Seahawks 101: They are two different teams home and away.

Also, they've been improving as a team since the beginning of the season, when Wilson was timid and restrained.

harSon

Banned
It's not eternal optimism, I think you're on the money.

I'm not sure that it applies to the Steelers right now though. Our biggest issues coming into the season were A) Salary Cap B) Bruce Arians and C) Our offensive line. Bruce Arians was the only issue that required a disappointing season to rectify, and I feel that all of our issues heading into next season (an aging defense) were going to be tended too regardless of the outcome of this season.

The only benefit of tanking for us is an improved draft position.

I'm not sure that it applies to the Steelers right now though. Our biggest issues coming into the season were A) Salary Cap B) Bruce Arians and C) Our offensive line. Bruce Arians was the only issue that required a disappointing season to rectify, and I feel that all of our issues heading into next season (an aging defense) were going to be tended too regardless of the outcome of this season.

The only benefit of tanking for us is an improved draft position.

Mike Wallace came into the season so concerned with his contract he forgot how to play football. He's only just now getting his heart back.

Antonio Brown has gotten so gassed from being the clear number 1 he started giving up the ball willingly. Sanders can't take a step without fumbling. The running backs couldn't generate shit. the defense took 5 games to get back into playing shape. James Harrison put off needed surgery for god knows what reason and is only now getting back to form. Woodley is on milk cartons. They are fat with success.

Well, looks like I struck a nerve. TEBOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

I give it 5 minutes before Bionic comes in here First he will mention the injuries they had last season, then he will talk about how losing to Tebow isn't a bad thing, him being God's son. Then he talks about how the Jets and Broncos will rot in hell for how they have treated Tebow to then carry on with how the Jets should start Tebow so he can destroy evil aka The Patriots, he will call Bill a home wrecker, Tom a woman and then he'll run away again because he hears his wife come home and he promised he would do the dishes.

Godslay

Banned
I give it 5 minutes before Bionic comes in here First he will mention the injuries they hadn't season, then he will talk about how losing to Tebow isn't a bad thing, him being God's son. Then he talks about how the Jets and Broncos will rot in hell for how they have treated Tebow to then carry on with how the Jets should start Tebow so he can destroy evil aka The Patriots, he will call Bill a home wrecker, Tom a woman and then he'll run away again because he hears his wife come home and he promised he would do the dishes.

Dammit I was just crafting a piece on Tebow. Elway set him up with a perfect opportunity. Rex Ryan got jealous and is keeping him locked up on the bench. Our hands are clean.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Appeal of the four-game suspension for Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman will be held Friday, two days before game vs. SF.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter If appeal upholds CB Richard Sherman's suspension Friday, he would be out vs SF, but there is no indication of timing on an appeal decision.

that the appeal hasn't been heard before this friday is ridiculous. on one hand i hope he doesn't miss our game because i dont want any excuses for when we destroy the chickens, on the other hand cheaters need to be punished and the seahawks are full of cheaters

harSon

Banned
Mike Wallace came into the season so concerned with his contract he forgot how to play football. He's only just now getting his heart back.

Antonio Brown has gotten so gassed from being the clear number 1 he started giving up the ball willingly. Sanders can't take a step without fumbling. The running backs couldn't generate shit. the defense took 5 games to get back into playing shape. James Harrison put off needed surgery for god knows what reason and is only now getting back to form. Woodley is on milk cartons. They are fat with success.

Mike Wallace is gone in the off season. Mendenhall has a better chance of being signed. I agree with Brown and Sanders (although Sanders has never been a big part of our offense), but I'm not exactly sure how they're fat with success. Their careers have consisted of a Super Bowl loss and an early playoff exit to Tebow, that's not exactly a recipe for being "fat with success."

Our running game was fine when our offensive line finally got healthy and gelled together, but as soon as injuries plagued the unit again, the running game went back to shit. No running back is going to succeed behind an offensive line that can't block, and while Mendenhall obviously doesn't have his head in the game, that has more to do with his own character than team the culture. Redman and Dwyer are running hard, but there's only so much you can do when you're constantly hit in the backfield.

James Harrison had bad judgement regarding the severity of his injury, and Woodley is par for the course, ie. injury prone and subject to long slumps. Our defense, outside of these last two games when they were crippled by injuries, were playing lights out defense and looked hungry as fuck to win every game they played in.

This season's outcome thus far has primarily come at the hands of a multitude of injuries across the whole team. We lack depth at 3rd string, and in some cases, 2nd string. Losing to shit teams is a symptom of not giving a shit, but we've been doing that since the Cowher years, and did so during our Championship runs. But most of those losses can be directly attributed to our roster being decimated by injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom