• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL WEEK 15 |OT| Everybody Stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyBoy

Especially cuz of how he throws. Even just in the pocket, he has a tendency to not have his front foot planted completely when he throws it. I think he's actually fortunate in this sort of situation as he's not reliant quite as much on that part of the technique.

Thanks for bringing that up, as I heard a commentator mention it this past week. I wonder how/if this is a deteriment to him. Thus far, little has been said about it, so I'd assume no. However, he has a cannon for an arm, could it improve if he was planting that foot?

There's also another quote from RGIII basically stating that he's not just a running QB and that if he needed to be less mobile and more of a pocket QB (due to the injury), he'd be fine.

KingGondo

Banned
To be fair though the receivers have been improving as he has over the season. Josh Gordon emerging as a deep threat alone has really helped out everyone.

Greg Little is thriving with Gordon getting most of the attention now.
True. But they were godawful for the first few games.

Really gives you hope for next season. Especially Gordon--he has a chance to beast. Has Benjamin done much outside the return game recently? I haven't been able to watch games outside of Red Zone Channel highlights.

SonnyBoy

That's why he was missing some throws this past game, bad technique is bad technique.

By no means do I think he's perfect but some of those passes should have been caught. The deep bomb to Moss should have been caught, granted it wasn't easy. The low pass to Garcon should have been caught and killed a drive. The WR's get their hands on most of his passes, they gotta start hauling them in.

After that Steelers game where they set a league record for dropped passes, they don't get any slack from me.

Bowser

NFP on Cooper and Warmack (a bit dated, but NFP doesn't think as highly of Warmack as McShay and Kiper):

1. Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina, 6-3, 310. He has had an outstanding fall and has risen up boards. He started out the season behind Chance Warmack, but now it looks like he’ll be the first guard taken. NFL teams love this kid because of his athleticism and ability to make blocks on the second level. He is rare in that regard. “It’s been years since I’ve seen one who can do the things in space against DBs and linebackers that he can,” one front office man said. Another called him a “freak athlete,” and lauded him for his explosiveness, intelligence and toughness.

2. Chance Warmack, Alabama, 6-2, 322. This is a powerful road grader who can help give an offense an identity. Warmack does everything well, but he specializes in run blocking. He has a great lower body and anchors well. He plays with an aggressive mentality. He has the foot quickness to pull and is a likely late first round pick.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scout-Talk-Top-Guard-Prospects.html

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
There are two very, very good guards in this draft: Warmack from Bama and Cooper from UNC. Warmack is #4 on McShay's Top 32, Cooper #14. I don't know if either guy will go in the top half of the first, but both should be gone by the end of the first. A line-needy team such the Bears is probably praying for one of the two to fall to them in the 20s.

McShay on Warmack:

Cooper:

Hmm then maybe we can trade picks with the Bears for an extra second rounder hmmm.

True. But they were godawful for the first few games.

Really gives you hope for next season. Especially Gordon--he has a chance to beast. Has Benjamin done much outside the return game recently? I haven't been able to watch games outside of Red Zone Channel highlights.

Not really, he only gets 2 or 3 targets a game and is only out there for 25% of the plays tops. He's still got a lot of developing to do but they do try to be creative with him at least once a game. He's usually the recipient of an end around at least once a game.

There is definitely something there but with how well Little and Gordon are doing there is no rush to really force him out there.

Bowser

First mock from Todd McShay:

5. Carolina Panthers - Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

*Looks up Hankins*

1. Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State, 6-3, 335. The underclassman is likely to be the first defensive tackle taken and a top 10 pick. He has the size and athleticism to rush the passer and stop the run. He can fit in any scheme and play nose or three technique. He is quick off the snap, powerful and explosive. One front office man said his playing style is similar to Vince Wilfork’s.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Scout-Talk-Top-DTs.html

CIny8.gif

are there any good centers coming out this year? i hope the pats get one so our line is set for the rest of bradys career

I always feel like the best method for drafting a center is pulling out the transcripts and drafting the smartest guy who isn't a shrimp in the middle rounds.

Worked out with Birk and Sullivan.

KingGondo

Banned
Not really, he only gets 2 or 3 targets a game and is only out there for 25% of the plays tops. He's still got a lot of developing to do but they do try to be creative with him at least once a game. He's usually the recipient of an end around at least once a game.

There is definitely something there but with how well Little and Gordon are doing there is no rush to really force him out there.
At any rate, he'll make it easier to eventually part ways with Cribbs.

Bowser

are there any good centers coming out this year? i hope the pats get one so our line is set for the rest of bradys career

Barrett Jones is pretty good, not first round good, but he's also played well at every other position on the line too, so he would be a good pickup for depth to start off with.

Most project Barrett Jones as an OG at the next level. Here's NFP's list of top Cs in the draft (they note that it's a lean group): http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Scout-Talk-2013-Centers.html

Vikings already have two top five linemen at their position (source: me) : Kalil and Sullivan

Might as well draft an awesome guard since Charlie Johnson is the worst ever.

Bowser

Greg Hardy dropping the lulz on Matt Bryant:

“I told him politely to remove himself from our facility because it was time to go, and he invited me to come watch him in January,” Hardy said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “It was a nice conversation.”

Was Hardy surprised to have a kicker engage him in trash-talking?

"I really didn't know who he was. He's so small and weird-shaped. I was trying to figure out what he did. I had to go home and look him up on the internet."

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2012/12/hardy-on-matt-bryant-so-small-and-weird-shaped.html

mr2xxx

Banned
There's also another quote from RGIII basically stating that he's not just a running QB and that if he needed to be less mobile and more of a pocket QB (due to the injury), he'd be fine.

No doubt he can be but a few things need to improve. I think Dilfer had a great segment on ESPN 980 praising the Skins offense but also questioning RG3s ability to go to the second and third option. Not sure I agree or disagree with him but it was interesting segment that I want to look further into. Not to be too harsh on him since he is a rookie is having a historical rookie year. Ut he can improve and no doubt he will.
Also another issue is our pass protection, I think we are 20 something in adjusted sack rate, despite having RG3s mobility, our run game and quicker passes. Part of is our RT and I think our TEs have giving up a few sacks themselves.

By no means do I think he's perfect but some of those passes should have been caught. The deep bomb to Moss should have been caught, granted it wasn't easy. The low pass to Garcon should have been caught and killed a drive. The WR's get their hands on most of his passes, they gotta start hauling them in.

After that Steelers game where they set a league record for dropped passes, they don't get any slack from me.

Some of those are on the recievers no doubt but RG3 missed some easy passes due to his technique also. Reminds me of Coach Walsh saying he could tell if a QB completed a pass by just watching his feet.

TheFatOne

So far it looks like it's going to snow this Sunday night for the Pats game. Yesterday it looked like rain, and now it looks like snow.

Talon

I feel really fucking stupid dropping $80 on a bathrobe for the girlfriend, especially when I paid half of that for a nice pair of boots for her.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Carl Johnson, NFL’s VP of Officiating, is leaving his head-referee job after February Super Bowl, per sources at owners meetings in Dallas.
He'll return to being a regular game time official after leaving the head referee job.

squicken

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012/12/team-efficiency-rankings-week-15.html

third most efficient team in the league bbbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitccchhhhhhhhh

yeah, and they are probably better than their record. but, the stats guys always say that records in close games are something that averages out over time. so why is carolina 1-13 in one score games over the past two years? garbage scores or choking? why is that stat just a random weird thing and sure to turn around?

mr2xxx

Banned
yeah, and they are probably better than their record. but, the stats guys always say that records in close games are something that averages out over time. so why is carolina 1-13 in one score games over the past two years? garbage scores or choking? why is that stat just a random weird thing and sure to turn around?

Speaking of averaging out, did the 9ers defensive TO even out or did they keep it up this year?

Slo

I actually thought Ponder was impressive late last year / early this year. Boy was I wrong.

He was playing well, but he wasn't being asked to make decisions. He was throwing to the primary receiver on every play, and once teams figured out our gadget plays they shut us down.

Bad coaching.

I actually thought Ponder was impressive late last year / early this year. Boy was I wrong.

I'm all for developing QBs. At the beginning of the year Ponders play had me hopeful that he might turn out to be something really solid.

Then he hit the worst wall ever. I don't think he has the spirit in him to progress any more. There might have been a solid passer locked in him somewhere at one point but its gone now.

It's a shame because I really like the guy. I just am now convinced he is dooky. Maybe ill be wrong and he will change for the better but the guy is on his last inch of leeway with fans.

squicken

Speaking of averaging out, did the 9ers defensive TO even out or did they keep it up this year?

They certainly have kept their health and injury luck, though I was reading something about the things teams are doing with players to manage health. The Rams, for years, have had bizarre injury rates that defied the standard averages. They've had good health this year. So maybe it's just random

But the article talked about studying sleep patters, and Fisher was big on that stuff in preseason. He takes the team out to WC games a day early. All through camp they had regimented "hydration" and stretching segments. Then rest/nap time between meetings. SF is investing heavily in that stuff too. Could be they are simply ahead of the game in the science of keeping guys healthy (HGH). Or it's just random

I think there might be some stuff going on that the stat geeks aren't fully aware of, though it is clear that coaches still manage the games poorly

Wes

venison crêpe
No it is you that sucks!

I just read about that guy today. Apparently would help immensely with the run blocking.

I don't know if guards normally go high but would they be able to trade down and still be able to take him?

He's one of the top 3-5 rated players in the draft but G isn't a position that's picked high. Lots of mockers seem to agree that apart from him and maybe Joeckel the OT the top 8-10 players in the draft are all on defence and then there is quite a drop off in terms of quality.

I think getting him below, say, the 15th pick is unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom