• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 17 |OT| The Gift That Keeps on Giving

RBH

Possibly the final game of the Chan Gailey-Ryan Fitzpatrick era for the Buffalo Bills will not be on local television. Bills CEO Russ Brandon told WGR 550 radio Wednesday that this weekend's regular-season finale against the rival New York Jets will be blacked out in Buffalo due to low ticket sales.

This is not a surprise, considering the poor performance by the Bills (5-10) and the cold December weather. The Buffalo area is expected to get hit by a snowstorm late Wednesday and early Thursday.

Sunday's blackout is a disappointing end to another disappointing season for the Bills. Buffalo began the year with playoff aspirations but fell well short. The Bills need a win Sunday simply to match last year's 6-10 record.

The Bills will evaluate everything after the regular season, including the future of Gailey as the team's head coach.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/52970/bills-vs-jets-blacked-out-in-buffalo

Season over next week, so i'm just gonna post a few notes.

Steelers are finally trying to get smaller and more athletic on the O-line instead of always drafting those massive dumb oxen. Needs to happen faster though.

We need a new, competent O-line coach. Steelers O-line always suffers from the most ridiculous injuries. They need a guy who can improve their footwork.

3 of the 4 linebackers need replacing/to get in shape. They are the reason the Steelers can't buy turnovers. It really sucks because the rest of the team is sound defensively.

Harrison - lost a step. 34 years old. Love him, but linebacker is a young man's game and he peaked way too late.

Foote - Not athletic enough for Buck. I think he had a great season this year, but he's just not fast enough to run the kind of things he's being asked. Guy could have had a 15 sack/3 int season if he was just one step faster.

Woodley. Fat slob. He needs to start taking this shit serious.

We need 1 Wide receiver in the top 3 who's over 6 feet tall. Just one. Cotchery is the 4th man if he's lucky and Plaxico was finished before he resigned.

I want to see Ben show some humility and run the offense the way it's supposed to be run against the Clowns. Enough backyard football.

Frog Fractions is the first game this year to live up to "journalist" hype.
I'm still wary after Fez, I honestly did not enjoy that game at all.

Finished up Portal 2. Good shit!

My wife got me a Wii Motion Plus and Nunchuk for the Wii U (since I sold off my Wii long ago but kept a great many of the games). I've been revisiting Super Mario Galaxy and boy did I forgot how great the game is....
Indeed, but 3D Land is even better!

It's nice having them in the AFC East, it reminds me that things could always be worse.

Why? Browns are out of the playoffs, and Shurmur is likely fighting (in vain) for his job.
It really might not be his decision to make. Trents been dinged up all season, and he has a ankle injury I doubt the new regime will want to risk him. And lets be honest we all know Shurmers gone, and if he doesn't know by now he's probably a idiot.
Belated Merry Christmas, NFL-GAF! On my wishlist is a hilarious embarrassing destruction of the Lions this weekend, might as well send the season out with a bang and leave everyone pissed off for the whole off-season.

Also! I got a Wii U for Christmas this year, so all of you jerks better add me!
NinID: DoormanAtLarge

I'm kind of pissed that someone already took just "Doorman."
I'm BlackGhost add add me when you get a chance, not home

DeaconKnowledge said:
We need a new, competent O-line coach.
Juan Castillo is available.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Indeed, but 3D Land is even better!
3D Land is indeed excellent but I like the bite sized nature of Galaxies levels a bit more I think. 3D Land has the distinction of being one of the few 3D titles that actually integrates the use of 3D into its level design to a really impressive effect though. Its get props for that alone.

bionic77

Season over next week, so i'm just gonna post a few notes.

Steelers are finally trying to get smaller and more athletic on the O-line instead of always drafting those massive dumb oxen. Needs to happen faster though.

We need a new, competent O-line coach. Steelers O-line always suffers from the most ridiculous injuries. They need a guy who can improve their footwork.

3 of the 4 linebackers need replacing/to get in shape. They are the reason the Steelers can't buy turnovers. It really sucks because the rest of the team is sound defensively.

Harrison - lost a step. 34 years old. Love him, but linebacker is a young man's game and he peaked way too late.

Foote - Not athletic enough for Buck. I think he had a great season this year, but he's just not fast enough to run the kind of things he's being asked. Guy could have had a 15 sack/3 int season if he was just one step faster.

Woodley. Fat slob. He needs to start taking this shit serious.

We need 1 Wide receiver in the top 3 who's over 6 feet tall. Just one. Cotchery is the 4th man if he's lucky and Plaxico was finished before he resigned.

I want to see Ben show some humility and run the offense the way it's supposed to be run against the Clowns. Enough backyard football.
Pretty sure Ben is hurt. He was great before the injury and shit since it. I don't think it has to do with him buying in or not. He did that before getting hurt.

xnipx

Something is wrong with me, but I can see the Ravens getting to the AFC championship.

Colts at home-winnable game

Houston on the road- hard game, and we got crushed last time we went there, but if Foster is out, and Houston continues to collapse, it's conceivable.

What is this sensation? Is that hope?

Would u like ur avatar for the playoffs or the offseason?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm thinking that the Steelers need to steal the Phoenix Suns' training staff. It's like the players don't get stretched enough or something, the injury situation has been ridiculous for several years running.

I believe in the power of a Lions team that has lost 7 straight more than the Bears ability to choke.

Which means the Bears will probably make the playoffs but it should be fun to watch them play the Niners'

The 49ers will be the first stop on the Lovie Smith revenge tour!

Pretty sure Ben is hurt. He was great before the injury and shit since it. I don't think it has to do with him buying in or not. He did that before getting hurt.

Only Ben's decision making is injured.

steelers40.gif

steelers39.gif

Ben made a comment before the season that he was worried for the WR's because they may not get the offense that quickly. I think he was really talking about himself.

Ben's not reading the field in the manner he was with Arians. He knew that offense inside out. With Haley's, he's not scanning the field the way he used to. Before the injury he was throwing to his primary, or failing that, checkdown.

Defenses then starting playing the shallow game tight and he struggled, which is why I think he went back to the scrambling. This also explains his frustration with Haley's offense after Dallas and the insistence on using more no huddle.

The last three games he was going to his 3rd, 4th, and 5th reads, but he was taking double the time in the pocket or more to get the ball out. I know he wants to make something happen, but this offense isn't designed for that style of football and the 3 game losing streak is proof positive of that.

Ben needs more time with this offense, clearly.

Beat the Niners for us

Fuck no! Still pissed we beat Detroit. I can already hear Bidwill excusing Whiz due to injuries. It doesn't excuse his ineptitude at developing a QB or building up the OL over the past multiple seasons! Praying for a complete cleansing sans Horton. Fire Whiz, Graves, Miller, and Grimm. I have to admit I'm a little curious about Grimm, Potter and Massie have been developing nicely this season and there is a possibility it was Whiz holding the OL back. I doubt it was Grimm saying we don't need to go OL early the past several drafts. Sounds like we have no shot at Norv for OC as he made a remark about going to a team with an already proven QB...

On another tangent, also screwed us out of a top 5 pick and that trickles down to every round with this draft's second round looking pretty valuable due to the depth at OL. We should move up a spot or two after this week at least as I expect Buffalo to beat the Jets and there's always the hope CLE beats Pitts. I'm not even going to entertain the thought of Detroit beating the Bears but all three winning would actually put us back in the top 5.

ari

Banned
The 49ers will be the first stop on the Lovie Smith revenge tour!
History says this is the case for the nfc playoffs in recent years. But it is just no way in hell can a cutler/Marshall combo work for 3 straight opponents on the road in the playoffs.

Have the Niners lost their identity since switching to Kaep?

It's all part of Lovie Smith's masterplan to sabotage the 49ers. Great strategist he is, he lured the 9ers into believing Kaepernick was a good quarterback by having his mighty defense fall on their sword. Harbaugh fell for it and benched his true franchise quarterback, Alex Smith. Now the 9ers are a wreck. The Bears are on the rise. All according to Lovie Smith's plan!

I think I had too much eggnog.

ari

Banned
Beat a justin smithless niners.

Beat the cklolcans in the playoffs

And beat the greenbay fuckers at gb for the ultimate revenge fuck.

SB: Bears superbowl champs over denver. Cutlers revenge will propelled him to the most hated brah in the world for denying peppey his due. Yum.

Im drunk.

beast786

History says this is the case for the nfc playoffs in recent years. But it is just no way in hell can a cutler/Marshall combo work for 3 straight opponents on the road in the playoffs.

3 straight?

How about just 1. Has Cutler/Marshall combo worked against any NFC playoff contenders?

Sanjuro

I don't think he is ever healthy anymore. Whenever I watch him play, I just assume he has something broken in him.

Harry Potter said:
Have the Niners lost their identity since switching to Kaep?
Doesn't look like it to me.

Run Attempts/ Pass Attempts (per game since week 10)

13 / 36
22 / 25
18/ 23
32 /32
23 / 25
22 / 23
29 / 17

DeaconKnowledge said:
Just from memory it seems to have noticeably diminished.
Seems pretty balanced to me. Outside of the Seahawks game which was a blowout and forced the passing game...

bionic77

steelers40.gif

steelers39.gif

Ben made a comment before the season that he was worried for the WR's because they may not get the offense that quickly. I think he was really talking about himself.

Ben's not reading the field in the manner he was with Arians. He knew that offense inside out. With Haley's, he's not scanning the field the way he used to. Before the injury he was throwing to his primary, or failing that, checkdown.

Defenses then starting playing the shallow game tight and he struggled, which is why I think he went back to the scrambling. This also explains his frustration with Haley's offense after Dallas and the insistence on using more no huddle.

The last three games he was going to his 3rd, 4th, and 5th reads, but he was taking double the time in the pocket or more to get the ball out. I know he wants to make something happen, but this offense isn't designed for that style of football and the 3 game losing streak is proof positive of that.

Ben needs more time with this offense, clearly.
At the same time he was doing a great job in the offense before he got injured.

It was not that long ago he was getting the ball out really quick and we were actually clamoring for longer passes.

I think it is overly simplistic and probably a little bit of fiction to just say this was Ben taking a shit on Haley. Why do that right after the injury when he was doing so well within the offense for the entire year? Our problem before the injury was retarded fumbles by the receivers and a crap defense. Then when our defense started to play well the offense went to shit (which happened at the same time Ben got hurt).

Lets not overreact too much. I am ok with trading for Tebow and firing Tomlin, but beyond that this team still needs to rebuild a lot of pieces and needs some more time.

At the same time he was doing a great job in the offense before he got injured.

It was not that long ago he was getting the ball out really quick and we were actually clamoring for longer passes.

I think it is overly simplistic and probably a little bit of fiction to just say this was Ben taking a shit on Haley. Why do that right after the injury when he was doing so well within the offense for the entire year? Our problem before the injury was retarded fumbles by the receivers and a crap defense. Then when our defense started to play well the offense went to shit (which happened at the same time Ben got hurt).

Lets not overreact too much. I am ok with trading for Tebow and firing Tomlin, but beyond that this team still needs to rebuild a lot of pieces and needs some more time.

That's what i'm saying though. Ben was putting up an MVP season before injury. Defenses then starting cheating on the short game which frustrated Ben. The Kansas City game is the perfect example of this. The Chiefs ate the Steelers short game for lunch, then Ben got injured. When he came back, sandlot.

brentech

That's what i'm saying though. Ben was putting up an MVP season before injury. Defenses then starting cheating on the short game which frustrated Ben. The Kansas City game is the perfect example of this. The Chiefs ate the Steelers short game for lunch, then Ben got injured. When he came back, sandlot.
I don't even think he was having his own best season, let alone MVP season prior to injury, but yea, he definitely do very good on his return.

Narag

Something is wrong with me, but I can see the Ravens getting to the AFC championship.

Colts at home-winnable game

Houston on the road- hard game, and we got crushed last time we went there, but if Foster is out, and Houston continues to collapse, it's conceivable.

What is this sensation? Is that hope?

It's more likely Flacco will shame the franchise in the playoffs to the point that the fans cover the cost of the Mayflower vans this time.

Maybe it isn't? Who knows. Miami needs to be nuked from orbit due to the last three years of existence or so.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/12/is_this_the_new_dolphins_logo.php

I hate the current Patriots logo, but it's far from one of the worst.

Yeah I just read http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/12/26/3804672/miami-dolphins-new-logo-leaked-2013-uniforms

Looks like it's it or very close to it.

dolphinsnewlogo.0_standard_709.0.png

I like it overall. It's definitely an improvement, original was the best. I wish they would bring back the old shade of teal and coral.

Sanjuro

Yeah the old Patriots logo was so classic. It was horrible they changed it!

Some of you fear change.

I was still hoping for a revival, but the success of the franchise since kind of sealed the deal on Pat the Patriot's fate. Flying Elvis will live for a long time now unfortunately. However, I still hope they can possibly revive the old color scheme and go back to a red uniform/logo revision.

squicken

That's actually pretty a pretty good theory on it. Most good QBs stay in the same system forever. It's very rare for a QB or Ben's caliber to switch offenses at his age. Peyton goes to Denver and they run the Peyton offense. NE changes coordinators and they stay with the Brady offense

It's hard to learn a new system, even for vets I'm sure

Sanjuro

Yeah I just read http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/12/26/3804672/miami-dolphins-new-logo-leaked-2013-uniforms

I like it overall. It's definitely an improvement, original was the best. I wish they would bring back the old shade of teal and coral.

I hate it. It's clearly promoting that children should go play football without helmets. I hope concussions rise and then mid-season angry parents put a stop to this life-altering logo.

harSon

Banned

steelers40.gif

Lol.

What kind of shit breakdown is this? "Miller is open now, but Ben decides not to throw it." No shit, unless he has eyes on the side of his helmet, there's no way he can see Miller in that position. And Wallace is in a better position, a better position to have the ball swatted.

MechDX

I stared at it for a minute then realized it looks like something Nike would come up with. Are the Dolphins getting a Nike makeover like the Seahawks?

That makes no sense. It's the sun not a hoop, he's in front of it.

Why would a dolphin be jumping in front of a hoop?

Lol.

What kind of shit breakdown is this? "Miller is open now, but Ben decides not to throw it." No shit, unless he has eyes on the side of his helmet, there's no way he can see Miller in that position.

Yea, because pausing the action and pointing out everything a QB could have done in a split second is something that could never happen on ever play in the NFL.

Guys are ALWAYS open for a MOMENT, but QB's aren't robots.

Lol.

What kind of shit breakdown is this? "Miller is open now, but Ben decides not to throw it." No shit, unless he has eyes on the side of his helmet, there's no way he can see Miller in that position. And Wallace is in a better position, a better position to have the ball swatted.

Eh, forget BTSC lame breakdowns. All you really need to know is the pass was intended for Wallace with Miller as the hot. Ben never looked Miller's way.

Same with the other gif. Miller was the only receiver Ben had on that play. He didn't take his eyes off him from the snap, despite Paulson beating his man inside. Easiest TAINT of Hall's career.

Top Bottom