• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

Chip Kelly on his offense in the NFL: “Don’t know, haven’t been there”

Oregon coach Chip Kelly is expected to get at least one NFL job offer after his team plays in Thursday’s Fiesta Bowl. But as successful as Kelly’s system has been at the college level, Kelly himself admits that he has no basis for saying whether or not it would work at the next level.
“Don’t know, haven’t been there,” Kelly said.
Three NFL head coaches left college head-coaching jobs to take their current positions, but all three of them had very different backgrounds than Kelly: Jim Harbaugh was an NFL player for 14 seasons and an NFL assistant for two seasons before getting the head job at Stanford and then jumping to the 49ers. Pete Carroll was an NFL head coach in two different spots and had four different NFL assistant jobs before becoming head coach at USC and then leaving for the Seahawks. And Greg Schiano had three seasons of experience as an NFL assistant before going to Rutgers and then leaving for the Buccaneers.
Kelly, on the other hand, has zero NFL experience and had never even had any experience in major college football before Oregon hired him, first plucking him out of relative obscurity at the University of New Hampshire to coordinate the Ducks’ offense, and then promoting him to head coach. And Kelly is a much less conventional coach than Harbaugh, Carroll and Schiano: Kelly runs a spread offense that has only very recently begun to be incorporated in the NFL, and he also has a different approach to game day strategies and play calling: Kelly will go for two at times when any NFL coach would kick an extra point, he’ll go for it on fourth down at times when any NFL coach would punt, and he generally delights in taking the unconventional approach to his business.
But Kelly does say he believes he can accommodate his style of coaching to any type of personnel on his team.
“There’s a lot of ways to play football,” Kelly said. “Trends go one way and the other. . . . Any coach is going to learn from other people and see how they can implement it in their system. Anything you do has to be personnel driven. You have to adapt to the personnel you have. There’s a lot of great offenses out there, but does it fit with the personnel you have. The key is making sure what you’re doing is giving your people a chance to be successful.”
With both the Eagles and the Browns expected to interview Kelly this week, and other teams potentially having interest as well, Kelly will almost certainly get the opportunity to show that he can be successful in the NFL.

http://profootballta...ent-been-there/

Bowser

Fuck Gus Johnson. He should have never been calling that Panthers/Falcons game.

7Nfs3.gif

Man, that's shameful, he shouldn't be allowed to post in this thread.

It is a somewhat uncomfortable crush that he has for that man.

In other news...

Charles Woodson has been medically cleared to play this saturday!!! *see avy*

Wood is gonna lay the wood on the vikebikes

tmdorsey

Yeah well guess what, Steelers got a better draft pick and guess what else we'll have something in common. We'll both be winning 0 trophies this year.

We will see my friend. We are in the tournament once again so anything can happen! One mid-range draft pick isn't going to help you rehaul that defense.

Novid

Banned
did anybody read Gaudelli's Piece on Deadspin when he mentioned annousers? Thats Joe Buck and baseball and it fits to a T. Football is a much diffrent story. Gus gunna Gus but hes not helped by Miss Andrews and the two...um...god...NOT GOLLUM and former Male Model.

Wes

venison crêpe
edit: I'm surprised that Chip Kelly would be okay with the Browns but not okay with the Bucs.

Seems to be Haslam and Banner are going to offer him as much control as he wants. He'll be the guy and they'll build everything else around him as he wants. Then they'll get a GM/Personnel Guy afterwards.

Our team is pretty young too so, for a coach with no NFL experience, he may find it easier getting across to them(?)

From the sounds of it Haslam is also willing to buy out the Penn State coach's contract which may be $10m~ as a second choice. So why not just use that on luring Kelly instead. It's obviously who he wants.

cdyhybrid

2013 schedule looks tough.

Home: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Away: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals

So who will be best player for 2014 draft , fellow lions GAF?

Jadaveon Clowney or Marqise Lee. I could easily be missing some names.

Chip Kelly on his offense in the NFL: “Don’t know, haven’t been there”

Oregon coach Chip Kelly is expected to get at least one NFL job offer after his team plays in Thursday’s Fiesta Bowl. But as successful as Kelly’s system has been at the college level, Kelly himself admits that he has no basis for saying whether or not it would work at the next level.
“Don’t know, haven’t been there,” Kelly said.
Three NFL head coaches left college head-coaching jobs to take their current positions, but all three of them had very different backgrounds than Kelly: Jim Harbaugh was an NFL player for 14 seasons and an NFL assistant for two seasons before getting the head job at Stanford and then jumping to the 49ers. Pete Carroll was an NFL head coach in two different spots and had four different NFL assistant jobs before becoming head coach at USC and then leaving for the Seahawks. And Greg Schiano had three seasons of experience as an NFL assistant before going to Rutgers and then leaving for the Buccaneers.
Kelly, on the other hand, has zero NFL experience and had never even had any experience in major college football before Oregon hired him, first plucking him out of relative obscurity at the University of New Hampshire to coordinate the Ducks’ offense, and then promoting him to head coach. And Kelly is a much less conventional coach than Harbaugh, Carroll and Schiano: Kelly runs a spread offense that has only very recently begun to be incorporated in the NFL, and he also has a different approach to game day strategies and play calling: Kelly will go for two at times when any NFL coach would kick an extra point, he’ll go for it on fourth down at times when any NFL coach would punt, and he generally delights in taking the unconventional approach to his business.
But Kelly does say he believes he can accommodate his style of coaching to any type of personnel on his team.
“There’s a lot of ways to play football,” Kelly said. “Trends go one way and the other. . . . Any coach is going to learn from other people and see how they can implement it in their system. Anything you do has to be personnel driven. You have to adapt to the personnel you have. There’s a lot of great offenses out there, but does it fit with the personnel you have. The key is making sure what you’re doing is giving your people a chance to be successful.”
With both the Eagles and the Browns expected to interview Kelly this week, and other teams potentially having interest as well, Kelly will almost certainly get the opportunity to show that he can be successful in the NFL.

http://profootballta...ent-been-there/

One thing to know about Chip is he doesn't play along with the media at all. He refuses to address hypotheticals of any sort. So while he's being somewhat truthful, he also wouldn't say otherwise even if he thought differently.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

One thing to know about Chip is he doesn't play along with the media at all. He refuses to address hypotheticals of any sort. So while he's being somewhat truthful, he also wouldn't say otherwise even if he thought differently.

Sounds like Tony Grossi is going to love this.

BlackGhost seems you were right I am seeing him be a bit snarky about things when I actually read his articles and not his tweets.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Local sports radio guy unveild his plan to remove Tony Romo from the Cowboys. And to then replace him with Tim Tebow. Yes, please!

What is Steelers-GAF's opinion of Manti Te'o?

Upon further reflection, he'd be a good Mike backer in LeBeau's scheme. I don't think he'll be able to cover anyone and should probably come out on third downs. Like a younger Larry Foote!

Godslay

Banned
I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l98Ss3SjGl8

...then back away slowly.

Wonder if this clown would have traded his whole draft for Tebow?

He's got more playoff berths and wins in Denver than Cutler does. He also has as many playoff wins as Cutler, period.

Not to mention Chicago has never beat Tebow.

Tebow never quit on his team in the playoffs despite playing with broken ribs and a bruised lung irc.

Ditka is right to a certain degree.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lions RapidReports ‏@CBSLions
GM Martin Mayhew said he thinks that the three position coaches that were let go Monday will be the only staff changes for '13

Anyone taking applications for a new team?

Wes

venison crêpe

Johnny Manziel will declare next year wont he? For teams starved of a good young QB this year is a bit of a crapshoot. If Manziel could declare this year he'd go #1 currently you would think. Not sure he goes before Clowney next year though... depends how QB needy those same teams are.

Mrbob

He's got more playoff berths and wins in Denver than Cutler does. He also has as many playoff wins as Cutler, period.

Not to mention Chicago has never beat Tebow.

Tebow never quit on his team in the playoffs despite playing with broken ribs and a bruised lung irc.

Ditka is right to a certain degree.

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

Vyroxis

Banned
I graciously allowed my buddy to back out on our bet for what flag to fly all summer, on the basis of a new bet. Vikings win, his newborn wears a vikings outfit in their family portrait. Green Bay wins, I wear an Aaron Rodgers Jersey in mine.

God we must hate each other....

cdyhybrid

Johnny Manziel will declare next year wont he? For teams starved of a good young QB this year is a bit of a crapshoot. If Manziel could declare this year he'd go #1 currently you would think. Not sure he goes before Clowney next year though... depends how QB needy those same teams are.

I think Manziel's size will hurt him. He's not 6'4" 235lbs, so he might drop. Doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't play, see: Wilson, R.

He also plays in a spread offense, so there might be questions about his ability to play in a pro-style offense, read defenses, pocket presence, etc.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think Manziel's size will hurt him. He's not 6'4" 235lbs, so he might drop. Doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't play, see: Wilson, R.

He also plays in a spread offense, so there might be questions about his ability to play in a pro-style offense, read defenses, pocket presence, etc.

His mechanics are ass.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mayhew: "Probably the biggest mistake that I made last year was counting on Jahvid Best to come back" ... Said he should have got a backup

Oh my goodness this is the worst franchise ever.

The man completely fails in an attempt to improve ANY position on defense in the offseason--the same defense that had one of the worst secondaries ever.

Yet, his "biggest mistake" is counting on Best to come back from a major concussion that doctors told him he shouldn't come back from.

I hate this team.

Bowser

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
My sense on Kelly is there's an urgency to go because of the looming sanctions. His stock may never be this high again.

Cheatin' Pete and Smelly Kelly, two peas in a pod!

LukeSmith

Manziel is gonna be an awesome kick returner. He's not going to be a pro quarterback unless Russell Wilson creates a run on midget QBs

Wes

venison crêpe
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
My sense on Kelly is there's an urgency to go because of the looming sanctions. His stock may never be this high again.

Cheatin' Pete and Smelly Kelly, two peas in a pod!

Pete is in the playoffs though... I'll take it!

Top Bottom