• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NG+ |OT| NeoGaf+ For posts that don't fit anywhere else

Thaedolus

I would kill to have a day in July under 80F here man. That would be cookout and hiking weather.
My wife won’t get in a swimsuit unless it’s 90, have you united kingdomers heard of ceiling fans or do you think those will secretly conspire to kill you in your sleep like South Koreans?

Peggies

Gold Member
warriors damon GIF

Yet another one of these "totaly normal there's no such thing as global warming" summers in Europe's cities.

Thaedolus

warriors damon GIF

Yet another one of these "totaly normal there's no such thing as global warming" summers in Europe's cities.
Well I didn’t say that, but 72F is considered “room temperature,” calling 78F a heat wave seems a bit dramatic. But I have lived in Arizona where it got over 120 (49C)

Peggies

Gold Member
Well I didn’t say that, but 72F is considered “room temperature,” calling 78F a heat wave seems a bit dramatic. But I have lived in Arizona where it got over 120 (49C)
Well but I say that God Damnit

angry shoshanna shapiro GIF by Girls on HBO

I don't even know what these numbers mean. 72, 120, 49?!

You and your smelly ass Arizona can go to hell. This used to be a nice normal continent with nice normal climate. Wtf is this shit?

DKehoe

Wait a minute- I know nobody there has AC and the housing is real old yaddy yadda and shit but…that’s 78F, are you serious?

It's warm for here but it's hardly unheard of. The tabloids just love to play up that upcoming weather events are freak occurrences because that draws more attention. We get the same in winter where pretty much any forecast of snow gets written about by some like it will be incredibly serious and compared to snowstorms from years past.

It's also probably being particularly highlighted since so far this June has been pretty shitty weather wise and so the idea of a "heatwave" might draw more attention than usual.

Thaedolus

Well but I say that God Damnit

angry shoshanna shapiro GIF by Girls on HBO

I don't even know what these numbers mean. 72, 120, 49?!

You and your smelly ass Arizona can go to hell. This used to be a nice normal continent with nice normal climate. Wtf is this shit?
I thought you threw mugs?

And Arizona doesn’t smell but it does suck. It’s too goddamn hot, you gotta go outside before sunrise or after sunset half the year and you hear the buzzing of air conditioners constantly. But it’s got land for days baby!

We still left that’s too f’ing hot

FunkMiller

Gold Member
To be fair, 26c in the UK can feel worse than 36c in Australia.

The country is entirely unprepared for warm weather. The houses and other buildings are all built to retain heat, not extract it. The people can't cope with warm weather either. And the papers love to go on about the weather as it sells a lot of copies!

However, even 26c is just 'a very nice hot day' in the UK. It only becomes truly intolerable past 30c.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

FunkMiller FunkMiller I’ve heard this before and I find it hard to understand- how does something retain heat but not coolness? We’re talking insulation factors and conductivity, which should work both ways, retaining heat in the winter and coolness in the summer, a buffer for the outside climate.

No air conditioning, sure I get that. Maybe small windows so you can’t ventilate as well? I dunno. But if you can properly cool a building when it gets colder at night, the insulation factor should be a benefit during the day shouldn’t it?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
FunkMiller FunkMiller I’ve heard this before and I find it hard to understand- how does something retain heat but not coolness? We’re talking insulation factors and conductivity, which should work both ways, retaining heat in the winter and coolness in the summer, a buffer for the outside climate.

No air conditioning, sure I get that. Maybe small windows so you can’t ventilate as well? I dunno. But if you can properly cool a building when it gets colder at night, the insulation factor should be a benefit during the day shouldn’t it?

So, I'm no expert, but UK houses are brick. Usually double skinned with a cavity between that often has cavity wall insulation in it. Windows are double glazed. Also, zero fucking airflow anywhere. Everything is geared to keeping the cold out, and ventilation is secondary. So, when the days in the UK are hot, the houses warm up, and there's no way to get rid of that heat at night, because it's still too warm then as well.

It's kind of strange to go back and forth between the UK and Australia, because the house building philosophy is so different. Like, in Sydney, you can be fucking freezing in a place when it's 14c outside, because nothing is built to retain the heat. But in the UK, you're fine.

nush

Gold Member
FunkMiller FunkMiller FunkMiller FunkMiller I’ve heard this before and I find it hard to understand- how does something retain heat but not coolness?

As he explained, they are built to keep the heat in.

So for example the concrete and rebar apartments I lived in China had no insulation either way. Building gets hot only AC can keep it cool but the second it's off that heat in the walls is comin for you. In the winter, if you let the cold get in, you are not going to be able to warm it up.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Sunday nights: House of the Dragon

Monday nights: a new-to-me episode of The Boys

Tuesday nights: The Acolyte

Wednesday nights: a new-to-me episode of Scavengers Reign

Thursday nights: the latest episode of Master Chef

I'm eatin' good for TV right now

Peggies

Gold Member
That top picture was me from age 8 to 25. The bottom picture is me from age 26 to present. 🤣

I used to love going out to the beach, or out to the mountains to hike, all sorts of summer activity stuff. Now? No AC? No thanks.
I didn't mind too much when I was young and we went on vacation somewhere with a beach and nice salty wind. Where every place had AC and you didn't need to wear a bra.

But we don't have a beach here and no ACs anywhere. No nice salty wind. No wind at all. Just blazing concrete and the laughter of the thirsting gods.

OK, maybe no laughter of thirsting gods but it's still pretty awful.

Thaedolus

As he explained, they are built to keep the heat in.

So for example the concrete and rebar apartments I lived in China had no insulation either way. Building gets hot only AC can keep it cool but the second it's off that heat in the walls is comin for you. In the winter, if you let the cold get in, you are not going to be able to warm it up.
Ok, so just hear me out my dear fellow Anglo-Saxons or whatever we are. Let it be known I hail from the Murrica but my forefathers came from your island before they said fuck off and George Washington, etc.

A dwelling can retain, or not retain, its temperature. This is a matter of insulation, or other building materials. How does something retain heat but not cold? It’s the same mechanism is it not?

I get that you may not have the same functionality for making it get cold- meaning an AC unit or ventilation, but to me a structure doesn’t trap heat or cold differently. It holds its temperature. You cool off a British house at night the same as ours and buy a fan and you’ll be fine. And tell your women to trim their pubes.

badblue

Gold Member
How does something retain heat but not cold? It’s the same mechanism is it not?

In the morning, the insulation in a house build to retain heat will be as cold as the outside temp. As the day heats up in the summer, the insulation will also heat up. As the outside temps drop later in the evening, that insulation is still holding in the heat making the inside of my house hot.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

In the morning, the insulation in a house build to retain heat will be as cold as the outside temp. As the day heats up in the summer, the insulation will also heat up. As the outside temps drop later in the evening, that insulation is still holding in the heat making the inside of my house hot.
If it’s going to retain heat, it will retain cold.

The same mechanism that insulates or retains a temperature will keep something cool if it’s cold. Ergo, it seems like the issue is properly cooling the structure in the evening either via ventilation or AC.

But what do I know, I live in the new world where we have a ceiling fan and if it’s not enough I slide a dial on my phone and cool air magically springs forth

Edit

Also we trim our pubes

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
You cool off a British house at night
Here’s another issue, right now it’s 4:30 AM. I woke up for a piss and thought it was later as the sun was up, sun didn’t go down until about 10 PM There’s hardly any time time for shit to cool off at night.

Last edited:

badblue

Gold Member
Ergo, it seems like the issue is properly cooling the structure in the evening either via ventilation or AC.
Pretty much but year the home was built and where it was dictates what code requirements it was built too. The older the place the less ventilation for cooling you are going to see depending on upgrades done.

My place for example was built in the 1950's for the cold prairie winters. Ventilation was not a concern back then and there was a single vent into the attic space.
Pervious owners never kept up with the upgrades and the roof didn't get more modern venting until last year. It helps but without some sort of AC, it still get's up to the upper 80's inside and a portable only helps one room.

Edit

Also we trim our pubes
talking eric cartman GIF by South Park

Soodanim

If it’s going to retain heat, it will retain cold.

The same mechanism that insulates or retains a temperature will keep something cool if it’s cold. Ergo, it seems like the issue is properly cooling the structure in the evening either via ventilation or AC.

But what do I know, I live in the new world where we have a ceiling fan and if it’s not enough I slide a dial on my phone and cool air magically springs forth

Edit

Also we trim our pubes
Houses here are built to generate heat and then hold it. An old '50s house with insulation will get cold when it's cold, but that's where central heating comes in. Radiators in every room. Heating houses up isn't the issue.

Don't buy into the tabloid headlines, 26c is comfortably warm/hot to most. Worse than some European countries because of the humidity where mid-30s is lovely, but to any UK citizen the idea of being "blasted" by normal temps is silly. It's when you get around 30 that things really start being affected.

That's when we can't cool the houses properly because it's too hot at night, and our lack of cooling methods means we're shit out of luck.

Speaking of ceiling fans, they were never that popular in my experience but I'm surprised they haven't caught on again in recent years. I read an article last year that detailed just how effective they can be. Perhaps they're due a resurgence here - it makes perfect sense. Maybe Big Floor Fan is holding the industry down.

nush

Gold Member
Maybe Big Floor Fan is holding the industry down.
It's easier than having to hope a ceiling fan will attach to whatever ceiling you've got. Even then from my experience by the end of the day it's just blowing the hot air around the room.

Thaedolus

It's easier than having to hope a ceiling fan will attach to whatever ceiling you've got. Even then from my experience by the end of the day it's just blowing the hot air around the room.
If the air temperature is less than your body temperature, then it’ll still cool you down. We’ve got one above our bed and I’d say it’s pretty effective at keeping me from turning on the AC except for when it’s really hot, which is good because AC uses a lot of power…and my wife complains about being cold.

Anyway, I’m sure you strapping young lads across the pond can weather this storm, Godspeed my former compatriots, may your bricks be cool and your pricks be moist

BadBurger

I am at target with a $100 gift card to burn. It has been years since I had an Xbox, so, Series S or X?

Edit: now that I think about it, I think I’d rather just build or buy a SFF PC instead

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I am at target with a $100 gift card to burn. It has been years since I had an Xbox, so, Series S or X?

Edit: now that I think about it, I think I’d rather just build or buy a SFF PC instead
Personally, with MS putting their stuff out on PC day one and now Sony’s bringing their stuff over, there’s no reason to not go PC unless you want that Sony stuff day one. Of course, Nintendo will stubbornly still stick to their antiquated hardware and I’ll keep buying it

BadBurger

We hosted dinner for some old college friends. I passed out like a light weight around 7:30 PM after smoking some of their fine Canadian buds. So here I am up in the middle of the night watching Disney+ and shit lol. I feel like I am back in college.

Top Bottom