• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Socreges

Banned
Duthie to Luongo: "Does the strange, somewhat uneasy relationship you have with some Vancouver fans affect you at all as you go in this run?"

Holy fuck someone from TSN just qualified a Vancouver goaltender controversy question.

Pretty much. Time will come when they'll have to choose 1-2 of them and let the others go.
The problem with the Oilers is that they've already got Hemsky and Horcoff making $5M+ (lol) for the next two seasons. Gonna make it tough for them next summer to resign Hall and Eberle and still have a halfway decent supporting staff.

In a way, they've got a one-year window...

Solo

Yeah, so by default it may be Nug and Yakupov that the Oilers hang on to.

Look at Cleveland, from 1st to last within a year after losing Lebron. One player has a huge impact.

Contrast that to the NHL, where the Penguins lose the best player in the world for a year and don't skip a beat :lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The NBA -is- a joke. The only reason I pay attention is to find out whether or not Steve Nash has a shot of ever winning a championship.
Pretty much the same situation with me, Nash is a class act. My roomie is a Lebron fan and jumped ship from Cleveand to Heat in a heartbeat, makes Tabris look like a decent sports fan.

dem

The problem with the Oilers is that they've already got Hemsky and Horcoff making $5M+ (lol) for the next two seasons. Gonna make it tough for them next summer to resign Hall and Eberle and still have a halfway decent supporting staff.

It won't be tough at all. Smyth was a 6.25 mil caphit that will be going way down this season. Hemsky is tradable. Horcoff can be bought out.

There is zero cap trouble in Edmonton in the foreseeable future.

Solo

I think they'll have Eberle for a while, too. Hall would probably be the odd man out, if I had to guess.

Hall to Boston, as it should have been.

My gut feeling is that Yakupov doesn't play for the Oilers. I think they either trade down to second or third for a D-man+, or draft Yakupov and make a blockbuster draft day trade for a #1 D-man++. Edmonton doesn't NEED Yakupov. Yes, they sure as shit would love to have him, but they don't NEED him. They NEED defense and goaltending. I don't care if they can score 10 goals a game. You aren't going anywheres in the playoffs with a porous D and a sieve in nets. Just ask Washington circa 2007-2010.

Socreges

Banned
It won't be tough at all. Smyth was a 6.25 mil caphit that will be going way down this season. Hemsky is tradable. Horcoff can be bought out.

There is zero cap trouble in Edmonton in the foreseeable future.
Seems awfully optimistic to me.

And yeah, Smyth's cap hit will go way down, but I wasn't even counting him. Just a lot of forwards making a lot of money.

ShaneB

"Team sport" my ass.

When you've got players that can be on the court for like 98% of the game, yeah, it's pretty much a superstar driven league.

Also, damn at Edmonton getting the first pick again. Funny enough about Burke getting asked if they're going the "Pittsburgh" root and getting lucky with some great draft picks, when Edmonton is doing just that. If they're not winning a cup in a few years, it's been a disaster.

dem

No he isn't.

Guarantee he is tradeable at the deadline if we have to. He was tradable this deadline.. what makes you think next year is any different? His deal isn't nearly as bad as people think. It's not long term money.

If you actually look at Edmonton's cap situation it's not bad at all.

Guarantee he is tradeable at the deadline if we have to. He was tradable this deadline.. what makes you think next year is any different? His deal isn't nearly as bad as people think. It's not long term money.

Because nobody would pay 5 mil a season for Ales Hemsky?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Columbus's franchise should just move to Quebec. That will solve everything.

Socreges

Banned
Problem solved, no defensive lines just put out 5 forwards all the time.
SCHML.jpg

"Nail, how do you feel about being our #1 goaltender this season?"

nail_yakupov_rus.JPG

"I... no feel so good."

RZ0vX.jpg

"Wonderful. I like your confidence."

Alucard

Banned
<3 Pensblog.

"This is the best time of year. The morning after a win makes you feel like someone in the "AFTER" photos in a Proactiv commercial. The morning after a loss is comparable to the feeling when Wayne realized Cassandra was boning Christopher Walken."

alg_penguins-fans_medium.jpeg

th3dude

<3 Pensblog.

"This is the best time of year. The morning after a win makes you feel like someone in the "AFTER" photos in a Proactiv commercial. The morning after a loss is comparable to the feeling when Wayne realized Cassandra was boning Christopher Walken."

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6ZfQ91vDlSY/T4Sco8dvAuI/AAAAAAAB7QI/jR_Fq4SQWWM/s450/alg_penguins-fans_medium.jpeg[img][/QUOTE]

One of my favorite places on the net.

dem

At least those players don't miss half a season due to shoulder injuries every year.

He's had both shoulders fixed. He played 69 games this year.

GRABOVSKI got 5.5 for 5 years!!!
And Hemsky isnt tradable at 5mil for 2 years.

You guys are really dumb. No shit.

When healthy he is near ppg player.

BTW.. You might want to take a look at Upshall's career.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Hahahaha.
#1!

We need to draft Nail. I know we need a dman, but you can't pass up a talent like Nail.
The best forwards come from early in the draft almost ALWAYS. The best dmen don't always come early in the draft (e.g. Chara, Weber, Lidstrom, Letang, etc.)

Why don't you just back your way out of the topic while you're ahead?

Edit: Soc nailed it.

dem

MIKE COMMODORE (yeah he still plays. Shocking right?) was traded this deadline.

He makes 3.75 MILLION

But Hemsky is not movable. Lets forget that the oilers had suitors for him the last 2 years at the deadline..

You guys are genius.

Alucard

Banned
I should shower and go to sleep, but I'm up watching and reading playoff previews online. :( Buying into the "Pens are going to march to the Cup" hype, which will surely be crushed tomorrow. Or not. Hope the Pens rock the Flyers in 4. I don't see this series getting all that chippy to be honest.

Red_Man

Grigorenko just tweeted "Can't wait to get drafted and maybe play for Roy again" :lol jesus he doesn't realize the shit storm he just started

Red_Man

Good on him. The pressure is now on Habs management!
He deleted it pretty quickly after and apologized, but not before every Habs beat writer across the country picked it up, poor kid is already getting the Montreal treatment and he's not even drafted yet.

bardia

Finally finished reading the whole thread after coming back from vacation. Can't believe Oilers get the #1 pick for a 3rd year in a row :lol

MIKE COMMODORE (yeah he still plays. Shocking right?) was traded this deadline.

He makes 3.75 MILLION

But Hemsky is not movable. Lets forget that the oilers had suitors for him the last 2 years at the deadline..

You guys are genius.

Uh, Commy made only 1 million with us before we traded him. He was bought out by someone which is why I thought he is being paid more.

So I'm looking at the brackets....

It seems I'm the only person who picked the Flyers to win who also didn't have us going through the Rangers. You all are insane if you think we have a shot against that team. Sorry.

However, I don't think they'll make it to us. I think they'll implode at some point before the ECF.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Have a look what players get in UFA...

Ville Leino.. Scottie Upshall..

You're a silly, silly person.

So I'm confused, are you saying Hemsky can be traded because of these contracts?

ShaneB

So I'm looking at the brackets....

It seems I'm the only person who picked the Flyers to win who also didn't have us going through the Rangers. You all are insane if you think we have a shot against that team. Sorry.

However, I don't think they'll make it to us. I think they'll implode at some point before the ECF.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong.

Of course they will, Senators in 7!

dem

So I'm confused, are you saying Hemsky can be traded because of these contracts?

I'm saying Hemsky's contract is in line with every other contract that goes into ufa years.

See:
Tuomo Ruutu @ 4.75/4 years
RJ Umberger @ 4.6/5 years
Ville Leino @ 4.5/6
Patrick Sharp @ 5.9/5

Hemsky is paid a bit more because he took a hit on term.

Do you guys not understand that TERM is the cap killer in contracts?

If you actually look at Edmonton's cap situation it's not bad at all.

Because nobody would pay 5 mil a season for Ales Hemsky?

Yeah you're right at a half million per goal, GMs will be lined up.

Have a look what players get in UFA...

Ville Leino.. Scottie Upshall..

You're a silly, silly person.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'd never qualify Ales Hemsky and his 5 mil per as "easily tradeable", good luck with that.

We're all idiots because we don't think Hemsky is easily trade bait with his contract.The big cap killer is paying too much for a soft, injury prone, under producing forward.

That's the REAL KILLER.

I'm out.
Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys.

This is the playoff thread.

Top Bottom