• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

MacAttack

Is it still worth getting an EA Online Pass and playing some EASHL right now?

I don't see why not. It'll take some time to level up your player into something respectable but if you're committed to playing for a while you can still squeeze some life out of the game. As always, its best to have some buddies to play along with. But there is plenty of decent competition out there and once you learn to weed out the teams that try and abuse glitch tactics, there are some good games to be had.

No. All anyone does is glitch the entire time.

Maybe my standards are low, but I'd say that depending on the night 50-75% of the games we play are decent. Some nights are a total loss though and that can really be a put off. I guess I should have a put a YMMV disclaimer depending on how much willingness you have to get past the glitchers.

On an unrelated note... still anxious to get the yoffs started. "This video makes me realize how fucking bad ass the Bruins are." :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
On the eve of the 2012 playoffs, I think I will revisit last year's Thread of Victory. Over 1/10th of my posts in 7 years on GAF are in that thread. Oh, the meltdowns, the joy, the memories...

Barrage

It won't be tough at all. Smyth was a 6.25 mil caphit that will be going way down this season. Hemsky is tradable. Horcoff can be bought out.

There is zero cap trouble in Edmonton in the foreseeable future.

I assume the Oilers are gonna straight up lose Gagner this offseason. Which is fine, he's definently nothing special.

But won't the Oilers have to start paying Magnus next year too?

I think you might be underestimating how little cap flexibility the Oilers will have..

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I assume the Oilers are gonna straight up lose Gagner this offseason. Which is fine, he's definently nothing special.

I think you might be underestimating how little cap flexibility the Oilers will have..
BRO they'll trade Hemsky and its all good, don't even worry about it.

MacAttack

On the eve of the 2012 playoffs, I think I will revisit last year's Thread of Victory. Over 1/10th of my posts in 7 years on GAF are in that thread. Oh, the meltdowns, the joy, the memories...

I would love to join you but I just got myself all worked up over Braden Holtby. Should I be worried about this kid? He's 14-4 in 18 career starts with a 2.02 GAA and .929 S%. He has wins in games @ Det & NYR and held Philly to 1 goal in an overtime shootout loss.

And my Bruins Mobile app just sent out about 15 alerts saying the Bruins just got scored against. Its an ominous sign. I think I need to go watch some more youtube highlight videos.

RC

Banned
The best days of the playoffs are when your team's not playing. No stress. I'm just a ball of nervous energy in the post season.

dem

Gagner still hasn't put up 50 points. Why would he get paid?

Magnus Paajarvi couldn't even stick in the NHL this year.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The best days of the playoffs are when your team's not playing. No stress. I'm just a ball of nervous energy in the post season.

You're kidding, right? There is no such thing as a "no stress day" during the playoffs. You're nervous before the game, during the game, and after the game.

The problem with the Oilers is that they've already got Hemsky and Horcoff making $5M+ (lol) for the next two seasons. Gonna make it tough for them next summer to resign Hall and Eberle and still have a halfway decent supporting staff.

In a way, they've got a one-year window...
I think you guys are making Oilers cap problem too big. Which year would be the one year window? It feels like people are making too big of a deal of the situation just because they hate that they won the lottery again. 2013-2014 Hall and Eberle will have pretty high caphits but Smyth's will be gone. Souray's will be gone(not that much but still). Yakupov and mostly WNH will probably be two of the most underpayed players in the league. Next season they can deal Hemsky, yes they can, His contract sucks(most FA's does nowadays), but teams with a low payroll can take on his salary(especially if they ship some prospects too).

And the year after that RNH's contract will also go up but I think that they can manage 3 big contracts and that is probably the year that their chance will be the best. After that they will probably have some problems to sign Yakupov, but they can always trade him or someone else for underpayed good defensemen(exactly what they need). They will still be stacked offensively or if they manage to keep all 4, which I doubt they can still trade MPS. People are making it sound like their capsituation is looking worse today but it's the complete way around, now they got more talent, which means more flexibility.

They can do the Pittsburgh model have a lot of money tied to a few players, do I think they will be as successful? Not necessarily since I don't think their stars will be quite as good, but a competing team? For sure.

Tabris

How did I miss that post from Smiley...or have I been in such a playoff excitement blur, I forgot I saw it.

Henrik Sedin, Kevin Bieksa, Alexandre Burrows and Ryan Kesler... You are going to see some leadership. They are going to drag this team through this. They know the fight that will be necessary now. You will see blood. You will see fighting back. You will see heart. Regular season slumps and playoff pasts don't matter anymore. Playoff hockey, this is what we live for.

I am so pumped right now. I don't know how I'm going to sleep. PLAYOFF HOCKEY TOMORROW!

Acid08

Banned
How did I miss that post from Smiley...or have I been in such a playoff excitement blur, I forgot I saw it.

Henrik Sedin, Kevin Bieksa, Alexandre Burrows and Ryan Kesler... You are going to see some leadership. They are going to drag this team through this. They know the fight that will be necessary now. You will see blood. You will see fighting back. You will see heart. Regular season slumps and playoff pasts don't matter anymore. Playoff hockey, this is what we live for.

I am so pumped right now. I don't know how I'm going to sleep. PLAYOFF HOCKEY TOMORROW!

Really?

Tabris

The video I created. Go to town...Keep in mind it's my first dabble in video editing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IE4vu21fE

Awesome. Here is my recommendation:

- Too quick a transition at 0:53. You want to give the viewer a chance to read "Believe This is Our Time" sign
- I personally don't think the music works after the intro. It matches perfectly with the intro though, so I would recommend a transition to another song.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Awesome. Here is my recommendation:

- Too quick a transition at 0:53. You want to give the viewer a chance to read "Believe This is Out Time" sign
- I personally don't think the music works after the intro. It matches perfectly with the intro though, so I would recommend a transition to another song.

That's my only comment too, I was constantly waiting for a more energetic song/happier/more motivational song after the intro. It's perfect for the beginning, but then it should transition into something happier/more pump-up ish :D Otherwise it's great!

Socreges

Banned
I think you guys are making Oilers cap problem too big. Which year would be the one year window? It feels like people are making too big of a deal of the situation just because they hate that they won the lottery again. 2013-2014 Hall and Eberle will have pretty high caphits but Smyth's will be gone. Souray's will be gone(not that much but still). Yakupov and mostly WNH will probably be two of the most underpayed players in the league. Next season they can deal Hemsky, yes they can, His contract sucks(most FA's does nowadays), but teams with a low payroll can take on his salary(especially if they ship some prospects too).

And the year after that RNH's contract will also go up but I think that they can manage 3 big contracts and that is probably the year that their chance will be the best. After that they will probably have some problems to sign Yakupov, but they can always trade him or someone else for underpayed good defensemen(exactly what they need). They will still be stacked offensively or if they manage to keep all 4, which I doubt they can still trade MPS. People are making it sound like their capsituation is looking worse today but it's the complete way around, now they got more talent, which means more flexibility.

They can do the Pittsburgh model have a lot of money tied to a few players, do I think they will be as successful? Not necessarily since I don't think their stars will be quite as good, but a competing team? For sure.
Seems like the basis of your disagreement is that Hemsky and Horcoff can be dealt without salary dumps coming back in return. Fair enough. I really don't think so, though. Which would mean $10M+ tied up in two overpaid players and a very different situation.

My 'one year window' comment had more to do with just keeping their draft picks together. Obviously if one or two can't be kept, their RFA rights can be traded for a very good return.

This is the playoff thread.

It certainly is a great place to discuss all the playoffs that aren't occurring.

Do we have any Daniel Sedin news? What about playoff logo painting news? Here, check out this TSN report of their opinion of match-ups!

You want to give the viewer a chance to read "Believe This is Out Time" sign

Whether that time is the second or first round, is still yet to be decided.

CCF23

Thanks for the input, guys. I think the song fits overall, and I feel like it would be awkward transitioning music in the middle. I knew there might be an issue with picking something that never really gets up tempo, but I tried to make it work because I loved the lyrics for the first two verses and felt they fit the theme of the video.

Socreges

Banned
The video I created. Go to town...Keep in mind it's my first dabble in video editing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IE4vu21fE
Watching playoff clips always reminds me how every goal and every choice is 10x more important. Every success feels 10x more awesome and every failure feels 10x more terrible.

Tomorrow is going to be awesome.

Love that song, btw. I encourage even the haters to watch the video. The lyrics contain a perfect setup for a vagina joke or two.

Socreges

Banned
It certainly is a great place to discuss all the playoffs that aren't occurring.

Do we have any Daniel Sedin news? What about playoff logo painting news? Here, check out this TSN report of their opinion of match-ups!
While that's a good point, it was a perfect opportunity to burn both Flames and Oilers fans. Should never be passed up.

We shouldn't have ever accepted you into our amazing city :p

:(

I liked it when you rooted for us.

It's OK, I still have my memorabilia that I look at rather fondly as a reminder of a fantastic phase of my life in a joyous city with excellent people...

w4OSt.jpg

But now that playoffs have started, there's probably more appropriate places for them to currently be.

99W5H.jpg

Mgx1I.jpg

MutFox

Banned
It's OK, I still have my memorabilia that I look at rather fondly as a reminder of a fantastic phase of my life in a joyous city with excellent people...

But now that playoffs have started, there's probably more appropriate places for them to currently be.

99W5H.jpg

Meh, only a replica jersey anyways. :p

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's a Canucks circle jerk in here.
Indeed, time for the combo breaker

8yaFe.jpg

Worst part about playoffs is they're always right around my exams making it 10 times hard to focus and study, and I'm going to miss most of the Preds / Wings game tomorrow writing one =/

Top Bottom