• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

So what your saying is the Burke is definitely going to make it happen.

EDIT: I love the two conversations happening here in terms of goaltenders, opposite ends of the spectrum.
Canucks fans: Man, we have too many good goaltenders on this team. Should we trade our really good starting goaltender? Or our really good backup goaltender? What do we do with our really good goaltending prospect?

Flyers fan: Man, should we go with our really shitty starter next game? Or our really shitty backup? Also. MICHAEL LEIGHTON LOLOLOL.

There is one thing regarding discipline that I wish the NHL would do as well. Say Patrick Kane goes nuts and decides to treat an opposing player like a cab driver and boards him. If Kane is suspended for 5 games, Chicago should have to play those 5 games with one less roster spot. It punishes the team as well as the player. MLB does it and I would love to see the NHL implement it too.

My god I would love to see them do that. If the team lost a roster spot, especially in the playoffs they would think twice about putting idiots with no purpose but to stir shit up into games.

Marvie_3

Banned
this story doesn't make sense as this would mean Patrick Kane would actually be committing to some sort of concentrated effort.

I agree though. It's the suspension that keeps on giving.

That alcoholic rage is bound to spill out one day.

My god I would love to see them do that. If the team lost a roster spot, especially in the playoffs they would think twice about putting idiots with no purpose but to stir shit up into games.

Figure out how to get me Shanahan's job and I'll see to it that it happens.

There is one thing regarding discipline that I wish the NHL would do as well. Say Patrick Kane goes nuts and decides to treat an opposing player like a cab driver and boards him. If Kane is suspended for 5 games, Chicago should have to play those 5 games with one less roster spot. It punishes the team as well as the player. MLB does it and I would love to see the NHL implement it too.

Except the MLB and NHL couldn't be more different in terms of energy spent in a game. Suggesting a team play with a short bench for 5 five games is retarded.

Cagey

Banned
Except the MLB and NHL couldn't be more different in terms of energy spent in a game. Suggesting a team play with a short bench for 5 five games is retarded.

It doesn't have to be the length of the suspension, i.e. five games in that example.

Even if you ding Asham for 10 games, but sock the Pens a roster spot for only 1 game, as you pointed out, that still makes a huge difference and would have some coaches thinking twice.

Keep your players under control and you won't have to worry about it.

Have fun with your pipe dream as it will never even be open for discussion in the NHL.

Cagey said:
It doesn't have to be the length of the suspension, i.e. five games in that example.

Even if you ding Asham for 10 games, but sock the Pens a roster spot for only 1 game, as you pointed out, that still makes a huge difference and would have some coaches thinking twice.

That's not what Marvie is suggesting though. That Torres hit has to cut him deep right now. He can't be thinking rationally about this.

MutFox

Banned
I think any direct hit to the head should be a suspension. (Not including fights)
Don't care if there's intent or not.

This way players will play cautiously when an opening to the head appears.
All these stars being knocked out by scrubs to try and win a series is ridiculous.

Also the quality of refereeing has been declining the past few years.
The players really aren't sure how they're supposed to play.
They usually use the 1st period as a test to see how a certain referee will call a game.
RefPuck...

Socreges

Banned
Michael Landsberg interview with Claude Lemieux:

"I was suspended a handful of times."
"How much less than a handful?"
"Four times, I think."
"Yeah. We looked it up."
"So how many times was it?"
"Four times. I wouldn't have asked that question if I didn't know."

Truer words never spoken.

Sadly this is all pipe dreams. The best we will get is a new guy in charge of this next year, and he will start out tough and then the GM's will cry and he will get soft, and players will keep taking runs at skill players because they know it is a win win situation.

a lot of the things people have discussed are probably a pipe dream for the NHL

equal suspensions for superstars as compared to grinders/goons etc. C'mon we know that won't happen.

But it's more than reasonable. Make an equal punishment severe enough players will comply. It's the same mentality Marvie is taking with his suggestions, but I think my suggestion is more feasible.

Example: Joe Thorton took out Perron for over a year. He's a skill player and so is Perron. Thorton didn't get shit for it. Where's the justice?

Revenant

But it's more than reasonable. Make an equal punishment severe enough players will comply. It's the same mentality Marvie is taking with his suggestions, but I think my suggestion is more feasible.

Unless a superstar makes someone look like Gretzky NHLPA '93 then its not going to happen. But while we're talking about things we all want can we get rid of the instigator rule?

Solo

Pens and Nucks live to fight another day?!

yesjacknicholson8wklq.gif

How about 2 days?

tumblr_lzsuf5ui6p1qe8rmkgb.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
Both are feasible. Neither will happen.
Unless a superstar makes someone look like Gretzky NHLPA '93 then its not going to happen. But while we're talking about things we all want can we get rid of the instigator rule?
The instigator rule is fucking terrible.

Acid08

Banned
Example: Joe Thorton took out Perron for over a year. He's a skill player and so is Perron. Thorton didn't get shit for it. Where's the justice?

Alright, I'm sick of this shit.

Jumbo got two games and a fine when he had no history so shut the fuck up. There's even a quote out there from Perron, that I will try to find, saying that he had no idea what else Thornton could have done in that situation. He had literally just come out of the penalty box and Perron and the puck were coming right at him. Quit fucking crying about it.

Had to read 10 pages, but it was worth it.

TRADE LUONGO, KEEP SNYDER

Canucks played well last night, but the Kings didn't look prepared to handle the Sedin cycle. They'll be ready on Sunday.

Sanjuro

Playoffs being tonight for me! Try asking a Texas bartender to put on a Bruins game, you're just speaking a different language to them.

E-DuB

I wasn't aware of this. Furthermore, I'd gladly welcome it.

Marvie_3

Banned

Jumbo got two games and a fine when he had no history so shut the fuck up. There's even a quote out there from Perron, that I will try to find, saying that he had no idea what else Thornton could have done in that situation. He had literally just come out of the penalty box and Perron and the puck were coming right at him. Quit fucking crying about it.

Not quite...

"It certainly is interesting that way," Perron said. "But I'm over it. I talked to Joe before and we're good now. It's obviously not a play that he's real happy about. It was somewhat of a dirty hit. I ended up missing 97 games. But I'm past it now, and I'm feeling good. I just look forward to playing some playoff hockey. It would be even better if we could beat these guys."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7798645/st-louis-blues-david-perron-shaken-cobwebs

Cat Party

No see superstars never get suspended except for all the times they have been suspended over the last few seasons.

EDIT:

BTW, Perron changed his views recently. When he first returned from the injury, he said what Acid was noting.

Alucard

Banned
Rinaldo didn't get anything? Must have sent the league these pictures of himself to convince them:

wtf1.jpg

wtf2.jpg

And Crosby as the cowardly lion? Well, the Flyers certainly aren't in Kansas anymore. Suck it.

photo.JPG

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

That's a great idea!

Until you get someone who might get suspended for a whole season...?

Revenant

He should have smashed the refs head in the glass instead. Save some money and more satisfaction.

you know despite the fact people are starting to measure things by Weber head smashes they still make me laugh everytime. This one works so well too.

besides he gets 4 headsmashes for that price, one for each official!

Be sick of it all you want. You may as well be Shannahan.

Top Bottom