• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Stuart has been on the ice for 9 of the Predators 13 goals in this series. 69% of the opposition goals. SOMETHING is wrong here. If Detroit re-signs this clown, I'll fly back to Detroit myself and kick Holland right in the balls.

Brinbe

Pens survive again... Man, what a great game and 3rd period. You could feel how desperate the Flyers were to finish this shit off tonight.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Gratz Pens, we'll be looking to repeat that on Sunday... long time ahead.

Now on to watching Detroit become the first team to be eliminated.

Yup, all but confirmed that we will be the first team eliminated now, nice job on trying to close that series out Philly. As for Detroit, you guys suck, yeah 13 minutes left blah blah blah.....

Gratz Pens, we'll be looking to repeat that on Sunday... long time ahead.

Now on to watching Detroit become the first team to be eliminated.

I hate you so much right now.

You didn't read my post and that's why I asked you not to respond. The point was Scott Stevens did the exact same thing.

All right, Tabris, for the hell of it I'll take your question seriously and respond.

In 1995-1996, the 1st year of a new CBA, the NHL revenues were $936M and there were 26 teams, most of them in the northern half of North America.

In 2012 the last year of this CBA, the NHL revenues are expected to top $3B, there are 30 teams spread out into the deep south of the US.

In other words, there are a hell of a lot more people watching hockey, going to hockey games, playing hockey, etc. Hockey is more popular now than it was in 1995.

Why?

Because the league has done a very good job of marketing itself through its best commodity: its players. I realize Bettman is a douche, but he did learn from Stern how to do this.

So, if you're going to market your players, and especially your super-stars, you need to protect them.

I will give you exhibit A and exhibit B.

Exhibit A: Sidney Crosby. He is probably the most popular NHL player right now. The fact that he missed large portions of the last two seasons WITH A HEAD INJURY has a HUGE impact on how the league has to react to these hits. If you think the league didn't lose money while he was out, you're nuts. Put simply: when the Pens come to visit, people show up to see Crosby. The league has manufactured their marketing around this very notion.

Exhibit B: Scott Stevens, the very person in your "why isn't this hit legal?" question. This dude single-handedly ended the career of more than 1 NHL player with his heavy headshots.

Now I ask you: if you're the league, and you want your $3B to triple again in the next 16 years, and you've been successful marketing your players, what do you think is gonna happen? THEY HAVE TO KEEP THEM SAFE.

Alucard

Banned
YES YES YES MOTHERFUCKERS.

CRY GIROUX. FUCKING CRY YOUR LARGE WOMAN TEARS, YOU COCKY FUCKING BITCH. EAT A BIG BAG OF SHIT, YOU FUCKING DOUCHEBAG. GO FUCK YOURSELF.

PLAYOFF FLEURY IS BACK, ASSHOLES. GET READY TO BE PART OF THE HISTORY BOOKS, YOU UGLY AND DISGUSTING FUCKING ASSHOLES.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wings have completely given up. If they score to it tie it, they're just delaying the inevitable. There is no way in HELL this team can win 3 games in a row.

Revenant

Yup, all but confirmed that we will be the first team eliminated now, nice job on trying to close that series out Philly. As for Detroit, you guys suck, yeah 13 minutes left blah blah blah.....

I hate you so much right now.

Wings have completely given up. If they score to it tie it, they're just delaying the inevitable. There is no way in HELL this team can win 3 games in a row.

SI4zw.gif

Boogie

YES YES YES MOTHERFUCKERS.

CRY GIROUX. FUCKING CRY YOUR LARGE WOMAN TEARS, YOU COCKY FUCKING BITCH. EAT A BIG BAG OF SHIT, YOU FUCKING DOUCHEBAG. GO FUCK YOURSELF.

PLAYOFF FLEURY IS BACK, ASSHOLES. GET READY TO BE PART OF THE HISTORY BOOKS, YOU UGLY AND DISGUSTING FUCKING ASSHOLES.

FLEURY! :bow

ALUCARD! :bow

Top Bottom