• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Revenant

Here's to you Tabris.

6xtbs.png

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Canada needs to unite behind the Senators.

Puddles

Banned
I like it this way. Would you give the 8 seed home ice in the next round?

No, higher seed always gets home ice/field/court. What I'm saying is that the NHL is the only league that re-draws the bracket after every upset.

Edit: everyone thought I meant that the lower-seeded team should be able to steal home-ice by upsetting a higher seed. That's not what I meant.

Anyway, enough on this subject. This system is what it is. Looking forward to the St. Louis series!

Sibylus

Banned
Preamble: From the bottom of my heart, Tabris, FUCK YOU

Scratch another post-season. Too many penalties, too many giveaways, too many men falling down at the worst possible times. But yeah, like others here I was amply prepared for this outcome. Quick was playing solidly and the numbers weren't in our favor in the slightest. Kings worked hard for this series win and ultimately deserve it. Congratulations!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No, higher seed always gets home ice/field/court. What I'm saying is that the NHL is the only league that re-draws the bracket after every upset.

So you are saying that for winning 1st overall... That the team should face 2nd in the conference if they win? Instead of the lowest loser? That doesn't make sense... The teams worked all year long for their position

The regular season needs this meaning.

You get 8th and you should always have the most difficult matchup unless you hit an 8th seed in the finals

But teams in 8th can pull it off... The oilers did it a few years ago and got all the way to game 7 in the finals

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The bracket needs to be updated, I wanna know how many people picked the Kings over the Canucks (aside from Entropia, the one person who picked LA to win it all)!

I don't know why everyone is after Tabris, he's the least annoying out of all the Canucks fans I have seen on this forum the past 8 or so years of lurking/posting.

The bracket needs to be updated, I wanna know how many people picked the Kings over the Canucks (aside from Entropia, the one person who picked LA to win it all)!

I picked LA, makes me feel special, though I picked Detroit, horrible decision.

I don't know why everyone is after Tabris, he's the least annoying out of all the Canucks fans I have seen on this forum the past 8 or so years of lurking/posting.

afFyz.gif

RC

Banned
This doesn't bode well for the future of the league. If all the tight checking trapping teams advance.

Eastern Conference, you're our only hope.

Puddles

Banned
So you are saying that for winning 1st overall... That the team should face 2nd in the conference if they win? Instead of the lowest loser? That doesn't make sense... The teams worked all year long for their position

The regular season needs this meaning.

You get 8th and you should always have the most difficult matchup unless you hit an 8th seed in the finals

But teams in 8th can pull it off... The oilers did it a few years ago and got all the way to game 7 in the finals

Okay, just to clarify. I'll use the NBA, since it's closest to the NHL in playoff structure.

1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, and 4 plays 5.
If all higher seeds win, in the next round 1 plays 4, and 2 plays 3.

With no reseeding, if #8 pulls off an upset but all other top seeds win, the second round would be #4 vs #8 (#4 with home ice/court) and #2 vs #3.

Instead, under the NHL's system, we get #2 vs #8, and #4 vs whoever wins the 3/6 series. As a fan of the #8 team, I would obviously prefer if it were not this way. But the system is what it is, and it seems that most fans in this thread prefer it that way.

That's all I was saying. Sorry to derail for so long.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

80% picked the Canucks to beat the Kings.

Also, 50% of voters have had their predicted Stanley Cup Winners eliminated.

Sibylus

Banned
It's easy enough to speak well of the leper when you don't have to interact with him in any coherent sense.

I'd just like to remind everyone that Socreges was the most scared about being matched up with the Queens, while everyone else was mildly suspicious at best.

Smart bear.

Also Queens, you can now go back to fucking yourselves. You're out in the second round.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What were the odds on the Kings winning?

Apparently, as of two weeks ago:

Here are NHL Playoffs 2011 odds via Bodog:

* Pittsburgh Penguins 4/1
* New York Rangers 11/2
* Vancouver Canucks 11/2
* St. Louis Blues 15/2
* Boston Bruins 8/1
* Detroit Red Wings 2/1
* Nashville Predators 14/1
* Philadelphia Flyers 14/1
* Chicago Blackhawks 16/1
* San Jose Sharks 18/1
* Los Angeles Kings 20/1
* New Jersey Devils 25/1
* Washington Capitals 30/1
* Florida Panthers 35/1
* Ottawa Senators 40/1
* Phoenix Coyotes 40/1

RC

Banned
I'd just like to remind everyone that Socreges was the most scared about being matched up with the Queens, while everyone else was mildly suspicious at best.

Smart bear.

Also Queens, you can now go back to fucking yourselves. You're out in the second round.

I was worried too. LA was the worst first round opponent we could've gotten.

Haha, some of these calls from the team1040 are beyond delusional. Getting Phaneuf from the Leafs? Ha.

Top Bottom