• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Marvie_3

Banned
I liked it back in the day when EA would base the cover athlete on what new feature they were going to focus on for the upcoming game. Which is why I'm sad to see no goalies on the cover since Beezer back in 97. They really need to focus on goalies moving forward.

If they did that there wouldn't be any glitch goals for the kids to score with.

rellix

Didn't they have a guy with the job of focusing exclusively on goalies for an entire development cycle?

And it didn't make a lick of difference..

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Some weird things are planned. Some weird things are coincidence. Some weird things, well they’re just plain weird.

On Wednesday night the Capitals’ Joel Ward sent Washington into a frenzy when he slammed home a Mike Knuble-created rebound to beat the defending Stanley Cup Champion Bruins, and advance to the second round of the playoffs. The goal came 2 minutes and 57 seconds into overtime.

A few hundred miles south of TD Garden, the Hershey Bears [the Caps AHL-affiliate] , down 2-0 in their first-round AHL Playoff series with the Wilkes-Scranton Penguins, were up to similar antics. On the powerplay, a face familiar to Caps’s faithful— Tomas Kundratek— blasted a shot on goal from the point. The puck found it’s way to Ryan Potulny’s stick, who laced a sharp-angle shot past Penguins’ goaltender Brad Thiessen for the overtime victory…

…At precisely 2 minutes and 57 minutes into overtime.

If you weren’t a believer in playoff magic before, now might be a good time to fire up the blessed candles, light an incense stick, and start believing.

Talk about coincidence.

fallout

Talk about coincidence.
Well, ignoring the odds that it happened on the same night and the odds that it happened in OT, there's about a 1 / 1200 chance of scoring two goals (independent events) at the same time index of any given period. If I were to Fermi the rest of it (assuming 1 / 10 games go to OT, 1 / 300ish for the game being played on the same night), I'd say probably about a 1 / 1,500,000 or so?

How's that for dull, Socreges?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Well, ignoring the odds that it happened on the same night and the odds that it happened in OT, there's about a 1 / 1200 chance of scoring two goals (independent events) at the same time index of any given period. If I were to Fermi the rest of it (assuming 1 / 10 games go to OT, 1 / 300ish for the game being played on the same night), I'd say probably about a 1 / 1,500,000 or so?

You're forgetting that OT is theoretically unlimited, so game-end time isn't just the same across the whole period(s), but I'd say it's more of a curve, favouring earlier goals more than later goals. (more games end in 1st OT than 2nd OT etc). But yeah.

Marvie_3

Banned

ipOPWAtoClVdp.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, here I am in Madison Square Garden again. Crowd has a MUCH better vibe tonight than it did at Game 5.

Game 5 also had a surprisingly large Senators contingent in attendance. I have seen precisely zero Sens jerseys tonight so far.

Game 7. Gonna be fun.

Cake Boss

Banned
Probably going to miss the 1 st half. Going to take a nap.

They are probably going to do better like always when I am not watching and not in their prescense.

cube444

Looks like one of those games where the Rangers are dominating and yet the Sens will probably score first for some great laughs.

Top Bottom