• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

What I think will happen:

Rangers win
Philly wins

Nashville wins
Los Angeles wins

That would be an awesome conference finals.

Watching the Rangers sweep the Flyers would really suck. If would be good though since if it goes that way the Preds would win the cup, and Sef would make some epic posts I am sure.

Sanjuro

7br1Z.png

Go to the Western Conference Semi-Finals, or buy a Medium Pizza from Domino's. Tough choice.

Dominos for sure.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just saw the news that Bos-Was Game 7 was the highest-rated 1st-round game in over a decade. The ratings increases are fantastic news for the league.

Donald Fehr: "Ratings increases? Increased popularity? Perfect time for a lockout!"

RBH

NBC-Sports-New-Logo-August-2011.png

CAPITALS-BRUINS GAME 7 IS MOST-WATCHED NHL CONFERENCE QUARTERFINAL ON CABLE IN 12 YEARS

1.32 Million Viewers Up 43% vs. Last Year's Comparable Contest & Best Conference Final Game in NBC Sports Network History

NBC Off to Best Broadcast-Network Start for NHL Playoffs in 14 Years

NEW YORK - April 26, 2012 - Last night's Game 7 between the Washington Capitals and the defending Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins was watched by 1.32 million viewers on the NBC Sports Network, making it the most-watched NHL Conference Quarterfinal game on cable in 12 years. In addition, NBC is off to the best broadcast-network start for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 14 years, averaging 2.6 million viewers through six games.

NBC SPORTS NETWORK

The 1.32 million viewers for last night's game, in which the Capitals defeated the Bruins, 2-1, in overtime in Boston, was up 43 percent vs. last year's comparable game (926,000; Was-Mon, Game 7), and is now the most-watched Conference Quarterfinal game since the NBC Sports Network (formerly VERSUS) began televising NHL playoff games in 2006. It is the most-watched first-round game on cable in 12 years, since 1.51 million viewers watched San Jose-St. Louis Game 7 in 2000 (ESPN). Last night's game produced a 0.89 rating and peaked at 1.13 during the 10 p.m. ET half hour.

Through the first 15 days of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the NBC Sports Network is averaging 729,000 viewers per game, up 14 percent vs. last year (642,000).

NBC

Through the first two weekends of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs, NBC is averaging 2.6 million viewers through six games, up 39 percent compared to last year (1.9 million, four games) and making it the best two-weekend delivery in 14 years, since Fox averaged 2.8 million viewers for its first two weekends in 1998 (two games).

Saturday's Capitals-Bruins Game 5 was watched by 2.0 million viewers, making it the most-watched early-round Saturday game in eight years, since 2.2 million on April 17, 2004 on ABC. Sunday's Penguins-Flyers Game 6, which aired in the early Noon-3 p.m. ET window, averaged 3.1 million viewers.

As was previously announced, Sunday's Capitals-Bruins Game 6 averaged 3.5 million viewers, making it the most-watched Conference Quarterfinal game since the advent of people meters in 1993.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...nce-quarterfinal-on-cable-in-12-years/131080/

ShaneB

Good hockey game actually gets rating. What a shock!

Also god damn at those ticket prices. A beer at a leafs game costs the price of those Yotes tickets!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Rangers game drew roughly 1.4 million yesterday in the states

Rats.

NBC says they averages just shy of a million viewers per game making it the most watched NHL quarterfinals in history (yikes) (remember, regional blackouts apply, so those numbers mean a lot more people were watching)

Sanjuro

Rats.

NBC says they averages just shy of a million viewers per game making it the most watched NHL quarterfinals in history (yikes) (remember, regional blackouts apply, so those numbers mean a lot more people were watching)

Not happy about it, but I told you so. :'(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not gonna give game numbers but my predictions:

Nsh over Phx
Stl over LA

Philly over NJ
NYR over Wash

Slurmer

Banned

Rats.

Oof! Sanjuro called it

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Interesting to see a goalie in the Hart finalists; been a while since that's happened, right? I'd say that it also pretty much confirms that the Vezina is all his.

Slurmer

Banned
Interesting to see a goalie in the Hart finalists; been a while since that's happened, right? I'd say that it also pretty much confirms that the Vezina is all his.

Quick got totally robbed on the hart nomination. If you have to have hank there, quick needs to be there with him...but you can't have just hank IMO.

Oh well, malkin will win it anyways

No.. What's depressing is the CBC numbers just came in

1.6 million (that makes 3 million US/Canada combined)

Less viewers than a re-run of big bang theory that ran same night

What the fuck.

Pretty much shows what is wrong with people these days. :/

I really don't see how anything else can be more intense than playoff hockey in terms of how fast paced a game can become to any other major sport out there. Even the fans can really be into a game more than other sports despite the smaller crowd size.

Basketball: slow
Football: plays can be rather hectic but it stops every 10 to 15 seconds and what not
Baseball: slooooooooooow
Soccer: slow

Sometimes I wish hockey was much more popular amongst people but then again I'm kinda glad we are the underdogs in terms of major sports. In terms of TV shows and reality TV, yeah culturally we are screwed I think for decades to come.

Sanjuro

Playoff hockey is one of the best things around. Still, people without an attachment to the regular season aren't going to suddenly tune in. At the same time this isn't Sonic the Hedgehog, all the sports don't need to be lightning fast. Football is the ultimate television sport. It's designed (unlike the rest) to be best viewed from home. Not to mention the gargantuan boost from the casual audience.

I still blame Bettman and the Outdoor Life Network.

Playoff hockey is one of the best things around. Still, people without an attachment to the regular season aren't going to suddenly tune in. At the same time this isn't Sonic the Hedgehog, all the sports don't need to be lightning fast. Football is the ultimate television sport. It's designed (unlike the rest) to be best viewed from home. Not to mention the gargantuan boost from the casual audience.

I still blame Bettman and the Outdoor Life Network.

True, but man is it amazing how playoff hockey can keep you on the edge of your seat for minutes on end, where as the others usually give you a breather or two. Heck, the game last night had me practically standing up for a good 3 minutes as both teams went back and forth causing scoring chances, and I don't even care for either team.

Still hockey > all other sports, to me nothing can compare, especially to playoff hockey or more specifically game 7 OT playoff hockey.

Sanjuro

True, but man is it amazing how playoff hockey can keep you on the edge of your seat for minutes on end, where as the others usually give you a breather or two. Heck, the game last night had me practically standing up for a good 3 minutes as both teams went back and forth causing scoring chances, and I don't even care for either team.

Still hockey > all other sports, to me nothing can compare, especially to playoff hockey or more specifically game 7 OT playoff hockey.

I like baseball the most. I come from a baseball and hockey town, BACK OFF!

RBH

nbcsports.jpg

NBC Has the Most-Watched First Round Ever on Broadcast and Cable

NEW YORK – April 27, 2012 – On the strength of a record 16 overtime games, 32 one-goal games, and a new television format that televised every first-round game nationally for the first time, the Conference Quarterfinals of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs delivered record-setting viewership. According to Fast National data released today by The Nielsen Company, the 2012 Conference Quarterfinals:

-Averaged 929,000 viewers across NBC, NBC Sports Network and CNBC, making them the most-watched first round on record (cable data not available prior to 1994);
-Averaged 744,000 viewers on NBC Sports Network, making them the most-watched in NBC Sports Network history (formerly VERSUS), up 16% from last year (642,000), and the highest on a cable channel in 11 years (ESPN, 745,000 in 2001);
-Averaged 2.57 million viewers on NBC for six broadcasts, up 39 percent compared to last year (1.85 million, four games), and making them the most-watched on a broadcast network in 14 years, since Fox averaged 2.76 million viewers in 1998 (two games);
-Reached 30.9 million total viewers across NBC, NBC Sports Network and CNBC, (excluding last night’s two Game 7s), up 29% vs. last year (23.9 million).

In addition to the success of the Conference Quarterfinals as a whole, a number of single games also broke records or set milestones. Following are the top-performing games on each channel:

NBC: Capitals-Bruins Game 6 on Sunday, April 22, averaged 3.5 million viewers, making it the most-watched Conference Quarterfinal game since the advent of Nielsen People Meters (1987).

NBC Sports Network: The 1.32 million viewers for Wednesday night’s Capitals-Bruins Game 7 made it the most-watched first-round game on cable in 12 years, since 1.51 million viewers watched San Jose-St. Louis Game 7 in 2000 (ESPN). It was also up 43 percent vs. last year’s comparable game (926,000; Was-Mon, Game 7) and was the most-watched first-round game in NBC Sports Network (formerly VERSUS) history.

CNBC: Coverage of the Conference Quarterfinals on CNBC peaked with 621,000 viewers for Coyotes-Blackhawks Game 6 on Monday, April 23. There is no comparison to last year as this is the first year that all NHL playoff games are being televised nationally.

Game 7s: Last night’s two Game 7s delivered strong viewership for NBC Sports Network. The Senators-Rangers game, in which the Rangers won, 2-1, in regulation, went head-to-head with the NFL Draft on two networks and was watched by 984,000 viewers on the NBC Sports Network, up 6% vs. last year’s comparable game (926,000, Bos-Was, Game 7).
The Devils-Panthers contest that saw the Devils advance, 3-2, in double overtime, began on NHL Network and then was simulcast on NBC Sports Network once the Senators-Rangers game had concluded. Devils-Panthers averaged 867,000 viewers for the portions of the game that aired on NBC Sports Network with no joined-in-progress comparison to last year.

NBCSports.com: NHL Extra, which live streams games broadcast on NBC, is up 233% in visits, 208% in unique users, and 276% in live starts over last year. Visitors are also staying on the site 288% longer than last year. During the Conference Quarterfinals, ProHockeyTalk experienced record traffic with 445,000 unique viewers, 526,000 visits, and 1.5 million views.
http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2...ched-first-round-ever-on-broadcast-and-cable/

Cagey

Banned
Rangers in 6 (though my gut says Caps in 6)
Flyers in 6 (this is me being a homer)

Kings in 7 (total goals scored < 24)
Preds in 2.5

The Devils need to win, because if they don't and the Rangers make it past the Capitals, they're gonna waltz into the fucking Cup finals. I can't have that. I won't stand for it.

Top Bottom