• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

I am amazed the Yotes are up 2-0 on the Preds. I really hope the Preds can get it back together. I would hate for a long playoff run to keep the Yotes from going to Quebec.

Marvie_3

Banned
Maybe it's because we got the Thrashers, but part of me kind of wants to see the Coyotes stay in Phoenix?

... weird.

iUUjS5rbMCN4M.gif

fallout

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see how it all shakes out.

The Coyotes could go deeper in the playoffs, potentially prolonging the whole deal. It still surprises me that it's managed to go on this long, but the fact that it could go on longer is really weird.

ShaneB

So who gets the Jack Adams? Hitchcock, Torts, or MacLean?

My vote goes for MacLean. Guy turns Senators into a playoff team after no one gave them a chance. Great coaches change the locker room dynamics and turns players into believers, and he did just that.

ZeroGravity

So who gets the Jack Adams? Hitchcock, Torts, or MacLean?

My vote goes for MacLean. Guy turns Senators into a playoff team after no one gave them a chance. Great coaches change the locker room dynamics and turns players into believers, and he did just that.
I'd probably give it to Hitchcock, simply because he demonstrably turned around a team in-season and almost won the President's Trophy.

ShaneB

Hitchcock and MacLean are much better choices then Torts. I dont even think he will be in the conversation for most peopl

I'm surprised at Torts even getting the nomination. Given that the Rangers were looked at as an early EC favourite, Torts did as expected.

A Jack Adams nominee in my opinion is a coach that exceeds all expectations, and does a lot with only a little.

Dave Tippet and Kevin Deneen deserves that nomination instead of Torts.

Dineen would have been the 3rd guy on my list for sure. I loved him when he was a Flyer and he did an amazing job getting the Panthers to win their division when no one thought they would make the playoffs.

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see how it all shakes out.

The Coyotes could go deeper in the playoffs, potentially prolonging the whole deal. It still surprises me that it's managed to go on this long, but the fact that it could go on longer is really weird.

Maybe I'm stupid but what is the position for the Coyotes right now? I know the league bought them but apparently the town still has to pay while they play there? Or are they payments from early agreements that they have to and they have to regardless unless they can persuade the new owner to make the payments afterwards instead? The video of Glendale's mayor at the meeting seemed to want them gone no matter what because of the millions of dollars they still have to pay the NHL each year. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly they're paying like member fees or something for being in the league which is why I'm confused as to why they're paying so much money if they don't even own them.

No one thought the Southeast would be that bad either.

That is true, and that is why I would pick Hitch but most places were picking the Panthers to finish last in that division. It is very impressive they finished 1st, even though a big part of that was due to TB and the Caps being down.

Cake Boss

Banned
I would even put Laviolette instead of Torts. He lost his 2 big centers and his #1 Dman while playing 9 rookies and dealing with that type of goaltending, still finished among the east's elite.

ShaneB

Good to see I'm not the only one baffled by Torts getting a nom.

Hitchcock's record and complete turn around with the Blues will likely give him the win, still would like to see MacLean win though.

Cake Boss

Banned
I must have been the only one that saw StLouis's lineup on paper last summer and thought they should be one of the top teams in the west, maybe that's why I don't think Hitchkock's success is that impressive. I still think Tippet should be the winner here. What he does with that lineup is simply just amazing.

ZeroGravity

If they could give the Jack Adams to a goalie coach, it should go to Sean Burke for whatever the hell he did to turn Mike Smith into Patrick Roy.

t0mp

Flyers to make an announcement at 5pm today.

I can't think of any GOOD things to be coming out of this announcement. Whether it's pronger deciding to retire or someone hurt? or what?

what do you guys think it is?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

I can't think of any GOOD things to be coming out of this announcement. Whether it's pronger deciding to retire or someone hurt? or what?

Bob to start rest of playoffs.

Cake Boss

Banned

A special HBO show with Bryz and Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about the Universe.

Jon

If Pronger retires, won't his salary crush us against the salary cap? There's some loophole where as long as he stays on longterm IR, his salary is offset...I could be making this up entirely, but I feel like I read this somewhere.

But that has to be what it is.

Here you go tomp:

From the Inquirer:

Comcast SportsNet is promising a big announcement on Tuesday's edition of its Daily News Live show.

Sources describe this scenario:

DNL -- a programming staple since October 1997 -- will be shaved from 90 minutes to 60 minutes, so it will run from 5 to 6 p.m.

Moving up a half-hour, to 6 p.m., will be SportsNite.

Following at 6:30 will be pregame shows for that night's games.

Edit: Jon you are right, as long as Pronger tries to play the Flyers dont have to count part of his salary against the cap, if he retires they have to count the full amount.

fallout

Good to see I'm not the only one baffled by Torts getting a nom.
I'm not entirely baffled by it. Even though the Rangers have a lot of talent and depth, he's getting more out of the team than most coaches would be able to. There's a lot to be said for that. E.g., we don't give the Hart to the player who put up the most surprising performance.

That said, there are a number of others who probably make more sense.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not entirely baffled by it. Even though the Rangers have a lot of talent and depth, he's getting more out of the team than most coaches would be able to. There's a lot to be said for that. E.g., we don't give the Hart to the player who put up the most surprising performance.

That said, there are a number of others who probably make more sense.

Yeah, just because there are good players or you're expected to do well doesn't necessarily mean you did less of a coaching job than somebody whose team exceeded expectations.

The other two are still decidedly more deserving, though, and you could easily make cases for several other coaches over Torts.

hubes

Here you go tomp:

From the Inquirer:

Comcast SportsNet is promising a big announcement on Tuesday's edition of its Daily News Live show.

Sources describe this scenario:

DNL -- a programming staple since October 1997 -- will be shaved from 90 minutes to 60 minutes, so it will run from 5 to 6 p.m.

Moving up a half-hour, to 6 p.m., will be SportsNite.

Following at 6:30 will be pregame shows for that night's games.

Edit: Jon you are right, as long as Pronger tries to play the Flyers dont have to count part of his salary against the cap, if he retires they have to count the full amount.
the programming schedule changed awhile ago so i don't get why there'd be an announcement about that.

LJ11

I'm surprised at Torts even getting the nomination. Given that the Rangers were looked at as an early EC favourite, Torts did as expected.

A Jack Adams nominee in my opinion is a coach that exceeds all expectations, and does a lot with only a little.

Wait, the Rangers were an EC favorite? I think most estimations had us middle of the pack at best. Most didn't have us winning our division.

Torts is a hell of a coach, he gets more out of these guys than any would. Fans see the bluster and blow ups and think he's a massive cunt, which he may be, but they ignore what he gets done behind the scenes. Terrific coach.

I'm indifferent about the award, more than three deserved nods, I just disagree with the premise that the Rangers were some stacked team going into the season and were going to finish at the top.

Yeah I dont know I saw a post on another site talking about the new schedule being announced at 5 but that doesnt make any sense. It cant be Pronger retiring, no way would the Flyers be okay with that. Maybe Bryz saw a bear in a dream last night and now he cant play any more.

gcubed

man, i was looking everywhere to find out why his money would be counted against the cap when he retired... i thought he signed it right before he turned 35, which is why there was a big hubub around his contract and he actually signed it after 35.

Top Bottom