• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Staal for Rask, and Parise signs on the cheap?

Rumour is Staal to Edmonton for their first. Oilers need a centre, and the Pens need a winger for cheap. DO IT, RAY.
Jordan Staal is 1 year away from unrestricted free agency.
Unless it's a sign-and-trade, he's not worth that much. I'd argue that he isn't worth that much even if he were locked up long term. Has potential, but hasn't proven much.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading yankeehater's posts after the fact. Dude just won't give it the illusion.

What illusion? It was one fucking game. Flyers played probably their worst game of the season and still had the lead in the 3rd period. Hopefully this finally cements into their heads that they cant sit on a lead against any team. They just are not built to play like that. 0-3 now in the playoffs when scoring first and every game has been the same thing. They score first, take foot off the pedal, D/Bryz get horribly exposed.

Solo

HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ALL OVER MY FACE

Damn this is like the best offseason ever for the Habs. I wonder what made them change their mind, I remember a bunch of Habs fans saying they wouldnt buyout/demote Gomez.

Solo

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah, but "best team of the past 40 years" was fact.
iY1wSVR5CJQ7b.gif

Merguson

Banned
True, but they can decide to whenever they like.

Is it a smart move though? Montreal is one of the richest organization in the NHL. It's probably best to bury him in the minors. He would have two years left on his contract.

We'll see though. I'm intrigued about the new general manager and whether it'll work out.

Solo

I think this is about sending a message. Yes, burying him in the AHL is cheaper, but a buyout I think sends a much stronger message about what the new regime expects.

I think this is about sending a message. Yes, burying him in the AHL is cheaper, but a buyout I think sends a much stronger message about what the new regime expects.

Molson saves a few million dollars with the buyout. You can bury him in the minors but the ownership still has to pay the $$.

Merguson

Banned
Leafs haven't been asked by Habs to speak to Rick Dudley. But, expect Dudley and Marty Lapointe to be among Bergevin's early hires.

Screw you, Bergevin. DUDLEY IS OURS.

EDIT: Also on a side note, apparently Jim Nill was interested in the Habs position but declined to pursue further because of an illness in the family. On the bright side.. Doug MacLean and Don Wandell were former assistant general managers for Detroit...

What illusion? It was one fucking game. Flyers played probably their worst game of the season and still had the lead in the 3rd period. Hopefully this finally cements into their heads that they cant sit on a lead against any team. They just are not built to play like that. 0-3 now in the playoffs when scoring first and every game has been the same thing. They score first, take foot off the pedal, D/Bryz get horribly exposed.

How are you 0-3 when scoring first in the playoffs this year if you scored first in the game you eliminated the pens?

Maybe they are afraid that burying him will make other FAs less likely to sign there.

That makes no sense. Those FAs have to be morons if they are actually afraid of signing there because Gomez is in the minors.

How are you 0-3 when scoring first in the playoffs this year if you scored first in the game you eliminated the pens?

That makes no sense. Those FAs have to be morons if they are actually afraid of signing there because Gomez is in the minors.

I dont know about the first part but on the wip morning show today they said the flyers are now 0-3 in playoff games when they score first, but you are right they definitely scored first in game 6 against the Pens. Maybe 1-3 then? If I was a FA and 2 teams offered me basically the same deal I might be swayed by one of the teams burying a guy in the minors to save cap space. What if I hve a few down years, I dont want to get stuck playing in the minors. If you dont want the guy I would think it would be better to just cut ties.

JABEE

Maybe they are afraid that burying him will make other FAs less likely to sign there.

Doesn't Scott Gomezz have a full NMC? He surely wouldn't allow himself to be buried in the minors. Also Yankeehater, let's just wait until Game 3. I still think the Flyers can do it, but they need to come out with a much better effort. That was awful.

Doesn't Scott Gomezz have a full NMC? He surely wouldn't allow himself to be buried in the minors. Also Yankeehater, let's just wait until Game 3. I still think the Flyers can do it, but they need to come out with a much better effort. That was awful.

Yeah I am really excited for game 3. Last night was horrible but one thing the Flyers have done well this year is bounce back after bad games. The effort was bad but I think Lavi shares a lot of the blame. In the 2nd period especially the Flyers seemed way to focused on matching lines with the Devils. There were plenty of times they got possession of the puck in their defensive zone and they would just dump it deep so they could get a line change. They need to not worry about the Devils top line at all, they have the better team they should make the Devils worry about matching with them. They need to try to get the puck in deep when ever they have the chance, if they just keep giving the puck to the Devils they are going to get killed in this series. Bryz is not going to save them, they have to keep the pressure off of him. Hopefully they come out with a lot more energy and put some pressure on the Devils.

I dont know about the first part but on the wip morning show today they said the flyers are now 0-3 in playoff games when they score first, but you are right they definitely scored first in game 6 against the Pens. Maybe 1-3 then? If I was a FA and 2 teams offered me basically the same deal I might be swayed by one of the teams burying a guy in the minors to save cap space. What if I hve a few down years, I dont want to get stuck playing in the minors. If you dont want the guy I would think it would be better to just cut ties.
Dude it's scott fucking gomez. I know the rangers couldn't sign gaborik or Richards or any big name talent after putting an even better play than gomez (wade redden) down the minors but they seem to do alright for themselves. What big talent would be afraid of someone like gomez being sent down? There's bigger issues if a star is afraid of going to the minors after one season of seven goals and another season of 2 goals right after each other while getting paid like 7.4 mil before being sent to the minors. You honestly have no clue what you're talking about.

Edit: And had over 365 calendar days without a goal during that time.

Dude it's scott fucking gomez. I know the rangers couldn't sign gaborik or Richards or any big name talent after putting an even better play than gomez (wade redden) down the minors but they seem to do alright for themselves. What big talent would be afraid of someone like gomez being sent down? There's bigger issues if a star is afraid of going to the minors after one season of seven goals and another season of 2 goals right after each other while getting paid like 7.4 mil before being sent to the minors. You honestly have no clue what you're talking about.

Edit: And had over 365 calendar days without a goal during that time.

Okay. I never claimed to know what the Habs were thinking in this case, we dont even know they are definitely doing anything with him yet. I was just wondering if part of releasing him was because they didnt want to look bad. I know you are desperate to find fault with anything I say, but I dont think this was the post to do that with.

Okay. I never claimed to know what the Habs were thinking in this case, we dont even know they are definitely doing anything with him yet. I was just wondering if part of releasing him was because they didnt want to look bad. I know you are desperate to find fault with anything I say, but I dont think this was the post to do that with.

You keep playing that card but I'm not desperate for anything. It's scott gomez, he's terrible. It's not like he was a 20 or even 15 goal scorer and slumped to there from a higher level but rather is absolute garbage who can't even hit ten goals. People have been sent down by much less, there's no star that's afraid of only scoring 2 goals and getting sent down. It's like sending down some kid you brought up from the AHL and then sending him down and it being a bad message. Scott Gomez is in another league of terrible, especially for his huge contract of like 7.4 mil a year. There's no comparison.

Edit: Like I said, if that's what is the deciding factor a superstar, he's probably not a superstar.

hubes

looks like the old bryz is back talking to the media today..

Bryz says if he wasn't a G he'd be an astronaut. #Devils #Flyers

he and @tpanotchCSN arguing over which space program, Russian or US, lost more monkeys. Bryz: "problem w monkeys, they push wrong buttons"

Bryz talking about space voyages, monkeys and Roman empire. He's baaaaaaaaack! #Devils #Flyers

Flyers played Habs style last night. Score early and play like shit for the rest of the game and only wake-up when there is 2 minutes left on the clock when it's too late

This is not Flyers style, this is Habs style and they better wake-up

~Kinggi~

Banned
Bryz clearly does not give a fuck. Even after losing 4-1 he is talking about space monkeys. How much money this guy gettin paid?

Cake Boss

Banned
If only Pronger was playing in these playoffs.

Him and Bryz at the podium together doing post game interviews would be prime time television.

Not sure if the Habs (potentially) buying out Gomez is a good idea. On one hand you could be "sending a message", but on the other you're taking away cap space for 4 years instead of 2.

Curufinwe

Bryz clearly does not give a fuck. Even after losing 4-1 he is talking about space monkeys. How much money this guy gettin paid?

Better than him talking about how the rest of the team mailed it in last night. That didn't go over so well when Cechmanek did it.

Top Bottom