• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 13 |OT| You can't lock out virtual hockey

Well that blew, played our first Playoff game and got smashed 3-0, my guy felt slower than molasses.

We had such a good regular season too, something like 50-26. One and done.

Marvie_3

Banned
Any tips on how to play this fucking game?

N7iDr.jpg

I want to re-iterate that the body checks in this game is fucking bizarre.

Bizarre isn't the word. The word youre looking for is "fucked". I can plaster guys with Tomas Plecanek (who never hits anyone in real life), but not Alexi Emelin (who plasters everyone). Ya, that makes sense.

Emelin is one of the hardest hitters in the NHL!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Poke checks were crazy OP before and people were complaining, now EA found a way to deal with it that doesn't turn it useless, but only asks for more skill/thought when using it and people are still complaining. I, for one, have no issue. Everyone is affected the same way.

Mr.Green

What mode are you playing?

GM connected. Online season with people from another forum. Of course, the bottom line is probably that I just suck at it but everything about this game feels so sluggish. From the passing to the skating to the fucking menus for crying out loud.

I'd probably have more fun playing Be a pro mode or whatever it's called this year or playing with the settings to make it a little more "arcadey" and fun and less like a Montreal vs. New Jersey in October snore fest.

As a big EASHL fan since NHL 09 I find that this is the first year the game didn't hook me. I kind of wish I rented instead.

Maybe I'm just tired of the same EASHL since 2008...

Smiley90

GM connected. Online season with people from another forum. Of course, the bottom line is probably that I just suck at it but everything about this game feels so sluggish. From the passing to the skating to the fucking menus for crying out loud.

I'd probably have more fun playing Be a pro mode or whatever it's called this year or playing with the settings to make it a little more "arcadey" and fun and less like a Montreal vs. New Jersey in October snore fest.

See, that's your problem. :p but yeah, you should try EASHL one day? or just play OTP? It's like Be a Pro, just online and with friends.

Socreges

Banned
Couple Qs about defending:

Does holding LT (left trigger) intercept passes??

Is there any way to control which player I switch to (versus)? Often I just cycle between defenders when I'm trying to switch to a forward.

Is the right stick the only way to check players? I find that it's not very effective, but when I play other people they're able to hit me hard even if they only catch part of my body. Otherwise I know about RB (poke check) and A (stick lift).... anything else?

Smiley90

Couple Qs about defending:

Does holding LT (left trigger) intercept passes??

Is there any way to control which player I switch to (versus)? Often I just cycle between defenders when I'm trying to switch to a forward.

Is the right stick the only way to check players? I find that it's not very effective, but when I play other people they're able to hit me hard even if they only catch part of my body. Otherwise I know about RB (poke check) and A (stick lift).... anything else?

a) Left Trigger only turns backskate on/off. Intercepting passes (apart from poke check) is regulated by your Hand-Eye/Defensive Awareness stats and is done automatically.

b) Full team Versus? No, it switches to whoever is closest to the puck pretty much. Or where the puck is going to.

c) Right stick is the only way, yep. You can also click down the right stick to go into hip check mode, which is especially effective if they might try to skate past you. putting your ass out takes some of the lane away and might be more likely to hit them, while normal checking is better against the boards (-cough- boarding -cough-) or when you're sure you'l hit them/they're static.

Also, general tipp, the "A" button is also known as the "automatic slashing penalty" button, only use it VERY sparingly. Or never. I don't think I've ever clicked the button, and I mainly play Defenseman in EASHL.

Smiley90

Then what is this guy talking about?

I very rarely intercept passes, whereas I feel like whoever I'm playing does it with ease.

Thanks for the help.

That's an NHL 12 video, but let me see. lol 2BCProductions, his videos are oddly successful. Yeah, watching his video, he uses LT to backskate, so his stick is in the passing lane. If he didn't his back would be towards the passing lane. if your stick is in the passing lane and your Defensive Awareness/Hand-Eye is fairly good, you WILL intercept it.

He presses LT because usually, people turn auto-backskate off in the menus, so we have to press LT manually to backskate. This is because sometimes you want to go towards your own zone quite fast, and backskating slows you down.

Socreges

Banned
That's an NHL 12 video, but let me see. lol 2BCProductions, his videos are oddly successful. Yeah, watching his video, he uses LT to backskate, so his stick is in the passing lane. If he didn't his back would be towards the passing lane. if your stick is in the passing lane and your Defensive Awareness/Hand-Eye is fairly good, you WILL intercept it.

He presses LT because usually, people turn auto-backskate off in the menus, so we have to press LT manually to backskate. This is because sometimes you want to go towards your own zone quite fast, and backskating slows you down.
Yes it's an NHL 12 video, but I didn't think that made a difference.

By the sounds of it, you are just more likely to intercept a pass if you're backskating. Makes sense.

Smiley90

Yes it's an NHL 12 video, but I didn't think that made a difference.

By the sounds of it, you are just more likely to intercept a pass if you're backskating. Makes sense.

Exactly, like I said, he only uses LT to backskate so his stick is facing the passing lane. Makes sense, what are you more likely to intercept a pass with, your stick or the air behind your back? :D

AlexMogil

Kind of a dumb question, but when playing BAP, sometimes green, yellow, or red icons With different symbols show up under opposing players. Is there any sort of guide as to wait they are?

Smiley90

Kind of a dumb question, but when playing BAP, sometimes green, yellow, or red icons With different symbols show up under opposing players. Is there any sort of guide as to wait they are?

uh... I've never noticed that, but then I don't play too much BaP. Maybe it's related to personal goals? e.g. if you have a goal like "shut down their top line players!", then their top line players have symbols? But really, no idea.

Socreges

Banned
Exactly, like I said, he only uses LT to backskate so his stick is facing the passing lane. Makes sense, what are you more likely to intercept a pass with, your stick or the air behind your back? :D
That's not the important difference that I'm getting at, though. You could be in a passing lane and facing the puck, but it is more likely to go through if you're not holding LT. That's not a real-world difference. That's an EA programming difference. It makes sense, though, since they want the player to be actively doing something in order to intercept the puck (and didn't want to implement an 'intercept' button) instead of just being in the right space.

Socreges

Banned
uh... I've never noticed that, but then I don't play too much BaP. Maybe it's related to personal goals? e.g. if you have a goal like "shut down their top line players!", then their top line players have symbols? But really, no idea.
I love that you help everyone out so much, but this was a perfect moment for you to realize 'there's a point where I don't need to answer every question related to this game'. :p

Smiley90

That's not the important difference that I'm getting at, though. You could be in a passing lane and facing the puck, but it is more likely to go through if you're not holding LT. That's not a real-world difference. That's an EA programming difference. It makes sense, though, since they want the player to be actively doing something in order to intercept the puck (and didn't want to implement an 'intercept' button) instead of just being in the right space.

Mhmmmmmmmmm are you sure about this? I'm not convinced it's the actual pressing of LT, but rather the speed you're going at. Pressing LT automatically slows you down and takes speed off, while you might be skating at a much faster pace when not. But yeah, you're probably right.Just if you're behind the play, pressing LT won't increase your chances, since then you'll be facing the play with your back. ;) It's always good to be ahead of the play and then be able to press LT for sure, yeah.
I love that you help everyone out so much, but this was a perfect moment for you to realize 'there's a point where I don't need to answer every question related to this game'. :p

just trying to give input for him to check, at least I say that I have no idea and don't just say that "I think it's x". ;) Not sure who else would've answered, or when. :D

Cake Boss

Banned
Wow wow wow I just spent 2500 pucks on training cards for my goalie in HUT, not knowing they changed it to where the cards only affect the player's attribute for just one game, it doesn't fucking stay for the whole career.

Why EA why? Then what the fuck is the point of the younger players in HUT if you can't even develop them. Way to fuck up another mode EA.

Pikma

Banned
Can someone explain how be a GM works? Can i play this by myself?

Yes, you can, It's a pretty straightforward mode, I don't know how much of a sport fan you are, but it's like any other EA Sports game, you are the coach, you select your team, your roster and play through entire seasons, the games are all against the CPU, you can play them solo or with friends locally, same team, I recommend you that, it's awesome fun. :)

Yes, you can, It's a pretty straightforward mode, I don't know how much of a sport fan you are, but it's like any other EA Sports game, you are the coach, you select your team, your roster and play through entire seasons, the games are all against the CPU, you can play them solo or with friends locally, same team, I recommend you that, it's awesome fun. :)

Ya i tired it out, its a tab boring by yourself though. Im gonna try finding a league.

Ardenyal

Anyone finding club games easier this year, already in a top 300 elite club.

I think that's just that the more casual clubs are more active near launch.

We had a pretty good first season. Finished 30th despite having 7 people on tryout, found a good goalie and Dman though. Snatched the cup during playoffs and now we are ranked 23rd overall.

Game feels good, a lot better than '12.

Cake Boss

Banned
I think that's just that the more casual clubs are more active near launch.

We had a pretty good first season. Finished 30th despite having 7 people on tryout, found a good goalie and Dman though. Snatched the cup during playoffs and now we are ranked 23rd overall.

Game feels good, a lot better than '12.

Holy shit, elite, pro or amateur?

Marvie_3

Banned
Im pretty sure that its still on the server. I wanna remove it from the ea server.
Oh, you're talking GM Connected. Just go into the "league members" option in the menu, click on your gamertag, and remove yourself from the league. If you're the only GM, the league will delete itself.

Man. This game. I've played EASHL religiously since it was first introduced and they made the game so ugly and gross this year. It's just teams going for rebound goal after rebound goal. All the pretty goals I did the last two years with a couple of friends are simply impossible because of spider-man goalie cross crease goalies, sluggish movement and weird ass pokes/body checks.

And the fact the "tie-up" animation is still in the game is embarrassing. Yes, I want to tie up with someone in front of the net and not be able to get out of the animation.

I appreciate the added "realism" to the game (especially since I'm playing ice hockey for the first time EVER), but it's a much worse product than previous years.

pringles

Man. This game. I've played EASHL religiously since it was first introduced and they made the game so ugly and gross this year. It's just teams going for rebound goal after rebound goal. All the pretty goals I did the last two years with a couple of friends are simply impossible because of spider-man goalie cross crease goalies, sluggish movement and weird ass pokes/body checks.

And the fact the "tie-up" animation is still in the game is embarrassing. Yes, I want to tie up with someone in front of the net and not be able to get out of the animation.

I appreciate the added "realism" to the game (especially since I'm playing ice hockey for the first time EVER), but it's a much worse product than previous years.
I skipped 12 so maybe my opionion is based on how awful 11 was and how big the improvements thus seem to me this year, but I'm loving this game's EASHL. I also noticed in the beginning that rebound goals was the only thing working somewhat consistantly, and a lot of teams were going for them all the time. But that's changed and now our team is scoring very, very varied goals. Probably more so than in any previous EASHL. Finally, after years, it pays off to have patience with the puck around the net. To not only do one cross-crease pass and jam the right stick upwards for easy-mode goals. And finally if you play some good defense you can keep the puck out of the net without seeing the other team score 5 goals that look exactly the same because there is some cheap way to ensure a 99% success rate with a shot.

Yeah I fucking hate the game at times, the AI for example is the worst I've ever seen in any video game. I've screamed at the TV so damn much. But there isn't any huge game-breaking flaws (that I've noticed in my 150 EASHL games) like there's been in the previous NHLs. And a lot less glitching it seems (like in past games where you could glitch your pro to much higher stats than what was possible in a normal way).

MacAttack

I skipped 12 so maybe my opionion is based on how awful 11 was and how big the improvements thus seem to me this year, but I'm loving this game's EASHL. I also noticed in the beginning that rebound goals was the only thing working somewhat consistantly, and a lot of teams were going for them all the time. But that's changed and now our team is scoring very, very varied goals. Probably more so than in any previous EASHL. Finally, after years, it pays off to have patience with the puck around the net. To not only do one cross-crease pass and jam the right stick upwards for easy-mode goals. And finally if you play some good defense you can keep the puck out of the net without seeing the other team score 5 goals that look exactly the same because there is some cheap way to ensure a 99% success rate with a shot.

Yeah I fucking hate the game at times, the AI for example is the worst I've ever seen in any video game. I've screamed at the TV so damn much. But there isn't any huge game-breaking flaws (that I've noticed in my 150 EASHL games) like there's been in the previous NHLs. And a lot less glitching it seems (like in past games where you could glitch your pro to much higher stats than what was possible in a normal way).

The problem is if you don't have teammates to play defense, working the puck to the points with AI means an automatic shot or tunover because they are out of position and can't make up ground/never hustle/oblivious to the puck.

I've had a lot of low scoring games that were decided by terrible rebound control or boneheaded AI awareness on the part of the defenseman.

Top Bottom