• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

NickFire

LOL at Be a Pro being pretty much useless until the update. Wait--will this have any bearing on your standing with the team, or is it just feedback?

Looks like it will still be useless. Unless I missed it, they are not adding sims, only coach feedback. Still have to watch whole game, just with more feedback.

C Jones

lmao, they cut 3 stars from the game...that's...well I don't even know. It's so minor and inconsequential, but I think it's incredibly telling of how fucked this thing is.

Either way $29.99 or bust. Hopefully this drops like their NBA game does.
If I remember correctly EA sports titles are typically $30 around Black Friday, so that may be a good time to jump in.

Getting this tomorrow only because I have Gamers Club Unlocked, a $20 gift card and I mainly play one team hardcore franchise mode.

Cake Boss

Banned
Lmaoo this game is gonna bomba hard, will pick it up for $20 in January.

KuGsj.gif
3 stars of the game was taken out, sweet jesus lol
KuGsj.gif

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Yeah that just.... actually blew my mind. I mean if this game came out last year with all these features missing, I'm sure EA would have gotten more of a pass than they are getting right now. But the fact that they skipped out on a year and are still launching a half finished game is unacceptable.

I hope this game gets slammed in reviews. One of my friends, who is an ex-EA developer, told me that Metacritic scores are really important internally at EA, so low review scores may actually bring about some change.

Yeah that just.... actually blew my mind. I mean if this game came out last year with all these features missing, I'm sure EA would have gotten more of a pass than they are getting right now. But the fact that they skipped out on a year and are still launching a half finished game is unacceptable.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. It was just a poor decision to spend a development cycle on the last gen version of the game and wait on developing the next gen version. I was under the impression they were taking the "year off" to spend on the next gen version (2 year development cycle) and it turns out they were not. I'm still happy that the core game play is quite good and will be buying because of that, but many sales will be lost due to missing features.

Cushen

Neo Member
I wonder how long it will take before EB Games starts getting some used copies to sell. That'll the the only way I will pick it up.

Played Early Access a little more and I just decided I can't play this anymore. The lack of modes just really hurt the longevity. Tried to cancel my pre-order but best buy said they couldn't, going to try to return my copy when it arrives

I hope this game gets slammed in reviews. One of my friends, who is an ex-EA developer, told me that Metacritic scores are really important internally at EA, so low review scores may actually bring about some change.

Well, in their defense, perhaps they were given just a tiny little team to do the job. And porting the game over to PS4, Xbone, upgrading the graphics/models, and adding new features is not trivial.

I just suspect that EA knows they have a captive audience and thus slashed the dev budget . . . because what other hockey game are you gonna buy?

Well, I think EA may find out that they answer is "Well, we are not gonna buy a new hockey game if it is half-baked, we'll just keep playing last year's game or some other game."

Does anyone know how many copies they sell? Is it really just ~1 million across all platforms worldwide?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Well, in their defense, perhaps they were given just a tiny little team to do the job. And porting the game over to PS4, Xbone, upgrading the graphics/models, and adding new features is not trivial.

I just suspect that EA knows they have a captive audience and thus slashed the dev budget . . . because what other hockey game are you gonna buy?

Well, I think EA may find out that they answer is "Well, we are not gonna buy a new hockey game if it is half-baked, we'll just keep playing last year's game or some other game."

Does anyone know how many copies they sell? Is it really just ~1 million across all platforms worldwide?
They generally do 800k-1mil per year across all platforms and the world. So yeah, that's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Who knows, they might've even fore casted a big loss for this years version in their profit goals for the year knowing how shitty it was gonna be. I just have to hope they rebound next year with a complete package.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, it really seems like an odd thing to drop out. I'm sure they already have their decision-algorithm for picking the 3 stars and the animations for them skating on the ice. But somehow it got dropped? They must have really been in a crunch to drop out something so trivial.

shoplifter

I'm only going through with this because of the GameCenter Live coupon and the fact that my kid will play it for the next 6 months.

AlexIIDX

Still not sure if im cancelling my preorder or picking it up tomorrow...Would be the first time in 7 years I skip an iteration. So disappointing. Hope reviewers shit on this game.

This was a must buy for me, especially with the Ultimate edition coming out with all the extra content for HUT, but all the missing content made me cancel my pre-order and pick up Destiny instead. Maybe i'll pick it up when the price drops to something manageable.

They wasted their time with NBC bullshit that they forgot about simple things on what makes hockey presentations.

I can just see EA cutting a deal with NBC, then turning to Rammer and the dev team and saying "make it happen fellas!"

Next thing you know it's September and your game is half done.

Marvie_3

Banned

7. EA went and hired a physicist to improve the physics of the gameplay. And the biggest difference is how the puck reacts. “It’s really changed the flow of the game, the bounces in the game. It’s made it more realistic,” Ramjagsingh says. “A puck passed back to the point can take a bad bounce and hop over the defenceman’s stick. Now you’ve got a breakaway going the other way, which is something that would never happen in our game before.”
So does this mean they actually fixed the way too frequently occuring problem of the puck going through your defenders for no fucking reason?

Antti

So does this mean they actually fixed the way too frequently occuring problem of the puck going through your defenders for no fucking reason?

I've played the early access version, and your player will more often than not intercept the pass if you're in the way. Actually being able to face the play and block passing lanes is a different conversation altogether, though... They've really nerfed the defensive tools.

Marvie_3

Banned
I've played the early access version, and your player will more often than not intercept the pass if you're in the way. Actually being able to face the play and block passing lanes is a different conversation altogether, though... They've really nerfed the defensive tools.
This is nothing new.

Maximus.

I don't know if I will keep the copy I ordered...pretty disappointed with the massive amount of cuts made to the game.

Phreak47

3 Stars of the Game – At the end of the game (in every mode) you'll see who were the three stars.

Right? I have no mind left to be blown, so I guess I'm primed now to find this in my mailbox tomorrow.

I mean, now we're playing with POWER.

Seriously, at this point pretty much the only reason I did not cancel my preorder is because of the $25 off GCL code it comes with. Having the game essentially cost $35 sort of lets me go ah, fuck it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Officially passing on this until it's on sale for cheap, and I was about as close to a surefire customer as EA could hope for. Get fucked you bags of shit, what an embarrassment.

Kimppis

Wait, the game is 720p? Really!? WHAT. THE. FUCK. I thought the store page's info was just a typo. Sure, even I could see the "filter" in the demo, as I mentioned earlier, but... Wow. Absolutely pathetic.

Lorcain

I can't believe they're actually trying to sell this at full price. They knew their game was gutted. I remember when NHL used to be the high standard for sports games graphics and gameplay. So disappointing.

How do you blow a next gen hockey game?? This should have been a sure thing. I can't wait for the reviews.

can someone confirm this?

I looked around and found a Reddit where they were saying that the Ultimate version is 1080P and the standard edition is 720p:
http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2fi58d/nhl_15_720p/

KuGsj.gif

But that can't be true. Not even EA would pull something that sleazy. Besides, it would be extra work to get the two different versions working and working together.

I have no idea what the resolution of NHL 15 is .. . but I really doubt it is 1080p.

Reviews are live tomorrow i think, should be interesting (reviewers who actually played it vs those that just slap an 8 and move on)

I looked around and found a Reddit where they were saying that the Ultimate version is 1080P and the standard edition is 720p:

KuGsj.gif

But that can't be true. Not even EA would pull something that sleazy. Besides, it would be extra work to get the two different versions working and working together.

I have no idea what the resolution of NHL 15 is .. . but I really doubt it is 1080p.

There has to be a typo in there somewhere. Are we even sure it has 4 player multi like that pic says?

There has to be a typo in there somewhere. Are we even sure it has 4 player multi like that pic says?

I assume all that information is garbage. But what the heck . . . can't they get they even get that under control?

(That info is wrong . . . they've said that online play is just 1 on 1.)

Anyone know whether or not the Online Team Play being added in the October patch includes local co-op against online opponents? Being able to play locally with my friends against online opponents literally decides if I'll buy this game.

I would wait & see. That patch schedule seems a bit optimistic and I doubt they get that all done so quickly. So why not wait until you see if they get the job done before buying?

It sucks that for the first time since NHL 99, I'm going to be skipping a year. I really liked the core gameplay mechanics in the demo, but I just can't do this. I was upset at EASHL being cut, but I rationalized it as being an issue with the physics engine and thought I'd be okay as long as Be A GM is intact. That's 90% of what I play anyways.

Oh well. Got my money back and spent it on some airsoft gear. Destiny shall keep my occupied for a good long while.

Played the game for an hour, really liked it. Quick impressions (from stuff that's not in the demo):

Pros:

- Pass interception seems to be turned up more, which is awesome. Can actually play coverage defense.

- Gameplay as a whole is probably the best NHL game I've ever played (I've had every year since Phaneuf was on the cover). They still don't have the speed down right in terms of speed skating, but overall it's quite good.

Cons:

- Scored a hat trick. No hats.

- Started a team in HUT. Automatically set up my scrub team (Gryba was my best player... Eric Gryba). Got a couple gold packs. Got a few good players like Franzen. Went back to add in the good players, but couldn't find a way to do that without creating a new roster. Dumb or confusing, but whatever.

- Here's the fun second half of that anecdote: I then added players one by one. Started with centers. Added one in for each line. Then added in LWers, RWers, etc one by one. Then I went to my powerplay lineup. In my LW/C/RW/D/D setup, it had added four centers and one left winger. So I had all of my centers playing C, LW, RW, and a D on my top PP unit. Why? The game auto-filled them in when I was manually adding them to the normal lines. It did this for every formation setup (PP1/PP2, PK1/PK2, 4 man PP1/PP2, 3 man PK1/PK2... even the f'ing shootout).

- Got Tim Thomas in HUT :/

- You know how each team had that weird oddball fan (Kings had a guy with a crown, Rangers had a statue of liberty...)? Played as the Canucks. One guy has a blue mohawk. The other guy has what looks like a giant golf ball on his head. Come on EA. Ryan Miller could be good this year..

So yeah, I decided to get it because quite literally the only modes I play are single game and HUT (and occasionally an online game against a friend). It's still utter bullshit that they took all those other modes out, but it doesn't affect me at all. But I totally sympathize with people who are holding off on buying it. Don't blame you a bit.

baconcow

KuGsj.gif

As I explained in another reddit thread, there is no point reading into 720p or 1080p on the Sen store or game boxes. Sony puts 1080p for all their games, even the 900p ones (Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4) as this is what is output (upscaled). There is no mention in the score that the game is native 1080p, just that 1080p output (in this scenario, likely upscaled 1080p) requires a native 1080p output. Some people read 1080p on the box as the native output of the game. I'm certain it follows the same output logic as the Sen store, carefully worded to protect them against games actually not being native 1080p (see Killzon PS4 incident).

Rammer was asked this question a dozen times during different AMA periods; he ignored it every time. The game is not 1080p or, trust me, he would have been more than happy to say it was. Also, several with early copies have stated it looks identical to the demo, which was sub-1080p.

keezy

So yeah, I decided to get it because quite literally the only modes I play are single game and HUT (and occasionally an online game against a friend). It's still utter bullshit that they took all those other modes out, but it doesn't affect me at all. But I totally sympathize with people who are holding off on buying it. Don't blame you a bit.

I'm thinking about getting it for this reason. The only game mode I play is online 1v1.

Delt31

I have the full game on xbox one (via early access) but will be buying it on PS4 and will be able to tell you which looks better. I can tell you that IMO both looked the same demo wise and BOTH were def not 1080. Full game on xbox, the res is def not 1080 and I expect the same on PS4. I prefer PS4 controller so going with that version.

Impressions wise, I've been pretty happy with the gameplay for the same reasons others have mentioned. I'm one of those players who only does 1 vs 1 online (even in 12, 13, 14, etc) so the lack of modes doesn't bother me), hence my buy PLUS with the Game Center discount it was a no brainer.

For those asking, the game still renders at what looks like 720p, the same as the demo. Video output on the back of the box doesn't mean anything, all games will scale to whatever you set the output as in your OS for X1 or PS4 (i.e. 720p or 1080p).

The render resolution though is definitely lower res, and as others have stated looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 720p.

bill0527

Jesus this is so disappointing.

My 5 year old son was so looking forward to this. I don't want to spend $60 on a turd.

He knows its coming out today. We've been talking about this for weeks. I can't disappoint him and feel obligated to get it. Fuck.

Montresor

Someone earlier in the thread said something like "there is probably an if statement that says, If the score is tied at the end of overtime, then start the Shootout. And yet this game won't have a Shootout mode".

I'm a big hockey fan (mostly a Leafs fan). I haven't bought NHL games since NHL 12. And I'm skipping 100% this year because of the lack of a shootout mode. I actually liked to play that locally. And there isn't any reason it should be taken out.

ref

Only reason I'm picking this up is because I managed to get it for 30 dollars shipped to Canada (otherwise I'd be paying almost 80 dollars for this with tax) but god damn this is really disappointing.

Really no excuse for the lack of game modes.

Jesus this is so disappointing.

My 5 year old son was so looking forward to this. I don't want to spend $60 on a turd.

He knows its coming out today. We've been talking about this for weeks. I can't disappoint him and feel obligated to get it. Fuck.

You should just bite the bullet on it. He probably won't care about all the missing features at this point and you may get some enjoyment out of it.

terrible

Banned
Only reason I'm picking this up is because I managed to get it for 30 dollars shipped to Canada (otherwise I'd be paying almost 80 dollars for this with tax) but god damn this is really disappointing.

Really no excuse for the lack of game modes.

I only paid $37 for it after tax and shipping and I still feel ripped off. I went to cancel my order but I was too late so I'm stuck with it.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
How soon do you think it will be before we can buy this game used at Gamestop? I really only want to play offline season mode and maybe HUT, but I traditionally only play offline season mode. Thing is, I don't want to give EA any of my money on this title.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How soon do you think it will be before we can buy this game used at Gamestop? I really only want to play offline season mode and maybe HUT, but I traditionally only play offline season mode. Thing is, I don't want to give EA any of my money on this title.
Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people paid for it without knowing it's gutted and return it quickly. This is a good idea, I'll probably do that too as I do play a lot of online VS and Be A GM, but don't want to give EA a dime either.

Top Bottom