• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

So from the reviews, the actual gameplay is great, but the missing modes hurts.

Great. Will buy on the way home from work. Could care less about the modes, just want a good game of Hockey.

This is pretty much what we could tell from the Demo, good gameplay, lack of content. Will get it once they patch in drafting for Be A GM.

?

Did FIFA get gutted or something? Madden is excellent.

Maybe he meant for first version of series for next gen (as in Madden 25 and Fifa 14 I guess were stripped, along with NHL15 which all are the first next gen iterations for those series. So NHL16 will be much better!!!

ngower

I wonder if reviewers will update their text/score once the new features are patched in? In the next few weeks we'll get our first patch and another will follow not too shortly thereafter. I imagine the developers are trying to get a really solid game out by the start of the season.

It just seems a bit odd that most of these reviews don't even mention the post-launch content.

I'm hesitant to pick it up because I feel like the PR nightmare might drop the game in price sooner rather than later, but I also want hockey in my veins.

The reviews are generally low.
PS4: 61/100 right now.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-15

Xbone: 68/100
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/nhl-15

But it is disappointing to see several of the big outlets that are obviously very dependent on advertising from EA still give them a pass with scores in the 7 to 8 range.

Madden 25 was not stripped down

And it shipped last year.

It is nice that they made some improvements . . . but they probably would have been better off just porting the full game over the first year and then starting to improve it instead of a half-baked game.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Metacritic currently sitting at 61 for the PS4 version.

edit: Just beaten by spec :(

edit2: The X1 version is a bit higher at 68.

A 7/10 from IGN? Please. What trash. Where is that gif of EA stretching the money out toward IGN and the score going up?

47afb1a408714d58.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have to imagine that EA was prepared for the low scores. I guess it depends on whether they take their lumps, like they have with the NBA franchise for years, or if they decide to try to blame fans for poor sales.

bigkrev

You can give a good review to a game, even if it lacks modes, as long as the gameplay is good. Street Fighter 4 has Arcade, Training, a "challenge" mode (which is basically just doing a specific combo) Online, and (I think) a Survival mode, while Injustice has all of those plus a cutscene filled story mode, and dozens of other modes.

Street Fighter is the better game though, on the virtue that it is a better fighting game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In the early-to-mid 2000s, it was difficult to decide which hockey title was actually better, EA’s or Sega’s, with each game pushing the other in terms of features and fans often choosing one side or the other.

Perhaps Sega throwing in the towel and halting the development of their NHL series a few years ago has brought us to this current situation. NHL 15 really is a shame since the game’s actual gameplay is so much fun. In many ways it’s the hockey game I’ve always wanted, especially in terms of balance.

Sega? Sega sold 2K Sports nearly a decade ago.

ngower

The first time in over a decade that I'm buying a NHL-game and now these reviews...

All address the lack of features as the biggest vice. All seem to say the gameplay is solid. For me, that's fine, especially given the schedule of content coming our way.

I'm buying it. I don't care. If it sucks trade that ish in during the next 50% trade in promo.

All address the lack of features as the biggest vice. All seem to say the gameplay is solid. For me, that's fine, especially given the schedule of content coming our way.

I'm buying it. I don't care. If it sucks trade that ish in during the next 50% trade in promo.

On gametrailers they said it would be the perfect introduction for people being new to the series or who were absent of the series for a couple of years.

ngower

On gametrailers they said it would be the perfect introduction for people being new to the series or who were absent of the series for a couple of years.

Yeah it's been a few years. On the one hand I don't wanna support a gimped product but it's obvious there were pressures to release it on a certain date and the team hadn't completed their goals by that time. Hopefully EA learn their lesson to give their devs the resources they need given these handful of botched launches.

I just wanna play a game and have fun and it seems like the modes included are enough until the patches come out. Why not?

Bruins Stanley Cup here I come.

Nibiru

Banned
I think the game is pretty good but I haven't bought one in a long time so I don't know anything about the missing modes. All I know is that the gameplay is great the graphics are good and I love the fuck out of the ps4 controller.

phant0m

I just paid $18 for this at gameslop after trading in bf4 and wolfenstein, so I'm pretty pleased considering the $25 GCL coupon.

I also play it 90% of the time in local couch multiplayer, so lack of all the online nonsense doesn't bother me.

Honome

I just paid $18 for this at gameslop after trading in bf4 and wolfenstein, so I'm pretty pleased considering the $25 GCL coupon.

I also play it 90% of the time in local couch multiplayer, so lack of all the online nonsense doesn't bother me.

I hope it´s not local coop multiplayer or else you will have an awful surprise...

It doesn't support local co-op?!?!?! (I know it doesn't support online co-op.)

Wow. Really? It's not, we usually just trash talk and play versus, but that's genuinely shocking.

No local co-op?

No way...

I hope it´s not local coop multiplayer or else you will have an awful surprise...

This can't be right. It has to support local co-op. Can someone test? Perhaps you can even test with the demo? Can you have two controls go on the same team? (Or is the demo just 1 player?)

NickFire

I'm sorry but no. The IGN people swear up and down that they don't let the companies who advertise with them affect their review scores. This is even true when you can buy the games they are reviewing from links in the review itself. And not only do they have no reason to lie, but IGN is also on the internet where people only tell the truth and are stupid if they both like video games and care about graphics or read video game news that a couple of IGN's advertisers don't like. So if you are trying to imply that IGN is a shill for its advertisers I/m sorry but I don't believe you even though you are on the internet.

terrible

Banned
I just tried and can confirm that local co-op (offline) 100% works. You can select the same team or play against each other. I have not tried this online so no clue if it works there.

Honome

I just tried and can confirm that local co-op (offline) 100% works. You can select the same team or play against each other. I have not tried this online so no clue if it works there.

Good, i have read in other forums that was not possible, thanks for the clarification. At least is one thing that is not ripped off...

Delt31

I hate to say this bc the game is so gdamn stripped but damn is the gameplay refreshing. I've played the demo and was not impressed but since I bought the game, I've already received 2 gameplay tuners and wow, you can tell. The puck physics they've been talking about are so obvious in this latest build and it makes such a difference, it needs to be experienced.

Here's the rub. The game is super bare boned. I'm a guy that only plays 1 vs 1 so I can't say I feel everyone's pain but I understand. Problem is the gameplay in 14 (to me) was getting so stale that I didn't even play it that much. Playing this game has got me back into the series b/c the gameplay is def tuned up.

Example of puck physics btw - I slapped one and it went wide (like so many do in the NHL) however I get a realistic bounce off the boards that went right to my winger who put it in the open net. The next play both of my defensemen collided and the opposition fell right over them. It was great.

Enjoying it so far.

Orca

I'm sorry but no. The IGN people swear up and down that they don't let the companies who advertise with them affect their review scores. This is even true when you can buy the games they are reviewing from links in the review itself. And not only do they have no reason to lie, but IGN is also on the internet where people only tell the truth and are stupid if they both like video games and care about graphics or read video game news that a couple of IGN's advertisers don't like. So if you are trying to imply that IGN is a shill for its advertisers I/m sorry but I don't believe you even though you are on the internet.

They gave it a 7/10. Yesterday that was proof a game sucked unbelievable ass. Today, it's proof EA bought IGN's opinion?

I can't tell what's sarcasm and what's not.

Beast780

I don't play EASHL, I only play Be a GM and Be a Pro so I picked it up with no hesitation. The game play is solid and I'll play this game a bunch. With that said, how in the hell do you release a $60 sports game in 2014 without an auto save after every game in career mode, or at least the option to do so, and sleep at night? Even Madden does this now!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Zing

Banned
So the reviews seem to say this is the best game so far as mechanics are concerned, but a bunch of extra fluff has been left out. I actually prefer it that way. One of the biggest turn offs for me is all the extraneous modes. I just want to play the damn sport. Give me exhibition matches. Give me season play. Make it feel good, and you are done.

Top Bottom