• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

Samus4145

"It's a hat trick, and here they come flying out of the stands."

I'm the away team and nothing was flying out of nowhere.

I'm not on the "Fire Rammer" bandwagon because frankly, no one knows the details of why this happened. What if EA simply slashed their budget for this year's title? For all we know, EA allocated bigger dollars for Fifa/Madden's move to next-gen, and left a bunch of bread crumbs for the NHL guys.
Rammer and his team have been delivering quality titles for the past few years - they have earned the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

I'm not on the "Fire Rammer" bandwagon because frankly, no one knows the details of why this happened. What if EA simply slashed their budget for this year's title? For all we know, EA allocated bigger dollars for Fifa/Madden's move to next-gen, and left a bunch of bread crumbs for the NHL guys.
Rammer and his team have been delivering quality titles for the past few years - they have earned the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

You know that the NHL titles have gotten worse since he has been the lead guy right?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
From what I've been able to gather talking to people I know, that is exactly what happened.

When the hell did I get so bad at hockey games. AI teams are skating around me suddenly in these games. Their passes always seem to connect while I have a hard time lining up anything lately.

This is on Pro too. :/

I need to mess around with the sliders.

"It's a hat trick, and here they come flying out of the stands."

I'm the away team and nothing was flying out of nowhere.

"We've now played two periods of a three period game."

I actually like Doc a lot but his work in this game is fucking awful. He says everything like he's reading a childrens book to his kids at bedtime.

Wait, so on top of keeping the other things out, they also GIMPED the things that they did leave in?

I just read that you can't play your friends and there's not tournaments in HUT

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
Just uninstalled it from my xb1. Can't take it anymore. Everyone online scores with the same cheese goal. Poke check and stick lifts constantly, skipping this year.

From reddit:

3wYsT6z.jpg

That is just an insane amount of missing features. Usually they take out a few and reintroduce them as new in following years, but this list is massive.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
That is just an insane amount of missing features. Usually they take out a few and reintroduce them as new in following years, but this list is massive.

The pathetic thing is they're probably going to do some marketing stunt that makes a claim that they're bringing back fan favorite modes as a way to market their game, it's sad actually.

I remember the whole NHL 94 mode and I thought that it was actually going to be NHL 94 untouched in NHL 14 and the fact that all it was was a re-skinned thing...I found that to be lame.

I'm not sure why NHL 15 got gimped so much, but I'm willing to bet they're going to use NHL 16 as a way to "bring back" all this missing content.

The pathetic thing is they're probably going to do some marketing stunt that makes a claim that they're bringing back fan favorite modes as a way to market their game, it's sad actually.

I remember the whole NHL 94 mode and I thought that it was actually going to be NHL 94 untouched in NHL 14 and the fact that all it was was a re-skinned thing...I found that to be lame.

I'm not sure why NHL 15 got gimped so much, but I'm willing to bet they're going to use NHL 16 as a way to "bring back" all this missing content.

They'll definitely do it, they've been doing it for years and I don't think we'll get everything back in 16. They'll bring a handful of features back each year and market them as new.

True, but that's usually for the first year of a new generation... which the NHL team skipped.

Anyone post this interview?

http://o.canada.com/technology/gami...-missing-key-features-on-the-xbox-one-and-ps4

“It’s mostly time and then with development on new platforms you always encounter new hurdles you didn’t plan for (technical hurdles), and it takes more time and resources to kind of overcome those. The team pushed hard until just a few weeks ago when we made the final announcement that OTP wasn’t going to be in there for launch. The reason why we didn’t talk about it before was we were still pushing and trying to get it in for launch. We’re 100 per cent commited to bringing back the EA Sports Hockey League as well and we understand the importance of the mode and understand our fans love it. We have the foundation now to bring back the EA Sports Hockey league bigger and better than we ever did in the past . The gameplay and presentation now are there,” said Ramjagsingh.

“The biggest changes are our gameplay and presentation to start with. We have a brand new player model this year that’s been build from the ground up. We have a brand new Super Star Skill Stick system that separates the lower and upper body. Brand new puck physics, rebuilt from the ground up that gives us more realistic puck physics. When you mix the physics of puck with the new player models, you’ll see the puck hit the goalie’s jersey and slide underneath it like you’d expect. The [new puck physics] have changed the flow of the game,” said Ramjagsingh.

5Ze86MA.gif

When it comes to GM Connected, Ramjagsingh explained it was a tough decision to cut the feature, but ultimately he feels not very many people were taking full advantage of the ability to play a full franchise online with friends anyway.

“It’s something we’ll look at. We had to make some tough choices with the console transition. We looked at where people are playing their games and that helped guide some of our decisions. The reality is there wasn’t really a lot of people actually playing the mode and there wasn’t actually a massive amount of people getting even halfway through the first season. So that was one of the influencers in our decision. We’ll see though, I’ve heard lots of feedback from people that want to see it back in the series, so it’s something we’ll weigh against all the other features as we build the next game,” said Ramjagsingh.

True, but that's usually for the first year of a new generation... which the NHL team skipped.

I don't know. I don't think it's ever been this extensive.

Regardless, I'm not buying an NHL game until they add many of them back and remove the NBC logo or at least add the option to switch to HNIC.

Vinc

NHL 07 was the first last gen NHL game and it was pretty awful compared to NHL 08. They had skipped both NHL 05 AND NHL 06 on 360.

The EASHL fiasco was bad enough, but reading the last two pages and seeing all the missing features is pretty ridiculous. Ironically I didn't buy 14 because I wanted to wait for the next gen version...seems that was a mistake. Fifa it is.

Anyone post this interview?

http://o.canada.com/technology/gami...-missing-key-features-on-the-xbox-one-and-ps4

When you mix the physics of puck with the new player models, you’ll see the puck hit the goalie’s jersey and slide underneath it like you’d expect.

who-gives-a-sheeit.gif

Maybe I'm just weird . . . but I really don't give a shit what the puck looks like as it hits the goalies jersey! I'm never going to see that while I'm playing anyway. Perhaps I would notice it when I watch a replay but so fucking what? We lose a ton of game modes so the puck looks good hitting a jersey? What the fuck were thinking?

Did they flip the staff 50 percent?

Because I can understand if you have a squad of noobs working on a project. You'd only focus on their strengths.

There is way too many features missing.

who-gives-a-sheeit.gif

Maybe I'm just weird . . . but I really don't give a shit what the puck looks like as it hits the goalies jersey! I'm never going to see that while I'm playing anyway. Perhaps I would notice it when I watch a reply but so fucking what? We lose a ton of game modes so the puck looks good hitting a jersey? What the fuck were thinking?

Just marketing.

Madden team was telling me how many calculations per second the game was currently doing.

I guess that is awesome.

Quick

Banned
Wasn't NHL 08 the first with the skill stick? That one was a game changer

NHL 06 technically had the first version of the skill stick. Basically pre-recorded animations of cool-looking goals. You flick the stick in any direction to execute a move set for each of those directions.

NHL 07 on 360 was the one that had the skill stick in its current form: complete control of the player's stick.

NHL 07 was the first last gen NHL game and it was pretty awful compared to NHL 08. They had skipped both NHL 05 AND NHL 06 on 360.
Well, in their defense, NHL 05 would not have been possible. They did skip NHL 06 . . . there was a NHL 2K6 but it was kinda crappy. NHL 2K7 was GREAT though (And with the SJ Sharks on the cover too!). But EA soon added the skill stick and that kinda helped EA win the hockey war.

Anyone else seeing flakiness with connections with EA servers? Was up 4 to 1 with 20 seconds left in the game and got disconnected and tagged with a DNF. The game should be smart enough to see that given the score and time left that I'm not purposefully quiting.

Phinor

Would you rather they didn't bring back game modes people liked in the past?

Or that they kept quiet (ie. no marketing of these features) until the release and people found out on day 1 that old game modes are indeed back? That would be a horrible way to handle things. Of course they need to advertise old features coming back.

Would you rather they didn't bring back game modes people liked in the past?

Or that they kept quiet (ie. no marketing of these features) until the release and people found out on day 1 that old game modes are indeed back? That would be a horrible way to handle things. Of course they need to advertise old features coming back.

Of course people want them back, but it will be really annoying if they decide to tout these modes as "NEW GAME MODES!" in NHL 16 when they are just finishing up their port job from NHL 14 from the PS360 consoles 3 years later.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
To me, this years NHL is equivalent to how NHL 2K4 felt back on XBox/PS2. NHL 2K3 was awesome, but then they switched devs to KUSH Games and essentially stripped all of the modes out (Season Mode included grrr) and I went back to EA's NHL 2004 for PC. What was funny, is that 2004 was such an improvement over 2003 for PC, but there were just these small nagging things which kept me from playing it. The D would always rush up the ice and end up behind the net and get caught, the new board play was a little over done, and there were TOO many sliders. Then EA put out NHL 2005 and just fucked up everything again. Good thing NHL 2K5 came out and was amazing. KUSH fixed pretty much all the problems we had with the game, made it play even better, added back in all the modes, and the new ESPN presentation was amazing.

I really hope EA doesn't pull the bullshit PR move of really hammering home returning modes as "NEW" and improved. Just put them back in, let us know they're back, but you gotta add something else which actually is new for people to get excited again. The problem with that is, with all the work it'll take just to get the old modes back in, I doubt they'll have time to actually make new content or anything actually worth while. And I really doubt we'll get all the missing modes back next year anyway. That's a shit load of work to do in 9 months with a small team. The nightmare of UX/UI design for that stuff alone will take up most of their time.

ElRenoRaven

You know as someone who's not big into sims and complicated controls I'm loving the game. When set up right it's pure arcadey fun I'm finding. I do like how EA is thinking of both the sim fans and those of us who like a more arcadey game and giving controls that suit both too.

I do hate that the only way to really play a season is the GM mode though. Course thankfully again with the right settings you can pretty much ignore everything and just play the games. So this is scratching my itch nicely. I will say though for those who did enjoy the modes missing I do feel for you. I know it sucks to have modes you like ripped out of the game.

Cudder

who-gives-a-sheeit.gif

Maybe I'm just weird . . . but I really don't give a shit what the puck looks like as it hits the goalies jersey! I'm never going to see that while I'm playing anyway. Perhaps I would notice it when I watch a replay but so fucking what? We lose a ton of game modes so the puck looks good hitting a jersey? What the fuck were thinking?
The unpredictability of the puck after it hits goalies is pretty great though. You never really know which way it's going to bounce.

The unpredictability of the puck after it hits goalies is pretty great though. You never really know which way it's going to bounce.

Well, if they improved the puck physics, that's great and they should be commended for that .. . . but how the jersey LOOKs when getting hit by the puck . . . who gives a shit?

And it does look like they did improve some stuff for NHL 15 besides the fluttering jerseys . . . . some improved puck physics and some improved player physics. But the amount of loss in gameplay modes is just too much. Losing all online play except 1v1 seems pretty pathetic.

Vibranium

Banned
Christ my friend who loves NHL told me about this and I read up on the cut features, just embarrassing. Shame on the EA Sports team in B.C/EA, way to show off our province well in the gaming industry (we already had Don Mattrick come from here).

I just occasionally play NHL 13 or 14 with my brother, guess they're probably still the best options.

bumpkin

Well, if they improved the puck physics, that's great and they should be commended for that .. . . but how the jersey LOOKs when getting hit by the puck . . . who gives a shit?

And it does look like they did improve some stuff for NHL 15 besides the fluttering jerseys . . . . some improved puck physics and some improved player physics. But the amount of loss in gameplay modes is just too much. Losing all online play except 1v1 seems pretty pathetic.
I was actually surprised at a goal I scored in the demo the other day. The puck was fluttering when it hit the goalie and it bounced up in the air and came down behind him and into the net.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I was actually surprised at a goal I scored in the demo the other day. The puck was fluttering when it hit the goalie and it bounced up in the air and came down behind him and into the net.
One game shipped with that as a glitch that happened numerous times a game. NHL 11, maybe?

Pikma

Banned
The EASHL fiasco was bad enough, but reading the last two pages and seeing all the missing features is pretty ridiculous. Ironically I didn't buy 14 because I wanted to wait for the next gen version...seems that was a mistake. Fifa it is.

Yeah, I was this close to getting it but thought the same, now I have to wait a whole fucking year to see if they pick up the fucking ball. Fuck you EA

Delt31

That happened in the past three versions. I actually have the full game via access and it's actually pretty good I just don't see how the puck physics changed that much. What has drastically changed is the momentum when skating. The controller will even vibrate when you make a major cut. As someone who plays hockey it feels real

creyas

Preordered from the web store, game doesn't show up as bought on the PS4 store, only offers preorder. It's in my PS4 Library screen but only offers preorder when i open it. Browser download list has the download button but that just results in "Waiting". I wonder if it'll start the preload for me when it's available?

Top Bottom