• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

ngower

As far as the game itself, it it that bad? Like, the on-ice stuff—game engine, physics, AI, etc.

I don't really care about the missing features as I don't have internet right now so I'd just be playing a career anyways.

P.S. I'm confident this is NHL/EA sticking to a release schedule and not giving devs resources to meet that deadline. Reading between the lines, devs obviously frustrated by the way this game's being handled.

dwix

As far as the game itself, it it that bad? Like, the on-ice stuff—game engine, physics, AI, etc.

I find the core gameplay to be very good so far, but time will tell I guess...

I am disappointed that they are advertising a focus on the arena experience, yet the goal horn for my team's arena (Dallas) is the same as last year (Red Wings I believe). I was looking forward to hearing the real thing.

EDIT: Just scored a pretty sweet goal, but on Pro http://youtu.be/i-GSt9Rc0CM

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people paid for it without knowing it's gutted and return it quickly. This is a good idea, I'll probably do that too as I do play a lot of online VS and Be A GM, but don't want to give EA a dime either.

Yeah, I'd buy it digitally but I don't want EA get anything from me. I'm not even buying any HUT packs.

I find the core gameplay to be very good so far, but time will tell I guess...

I am disappointed that they are advertising a focus on the arena experience, yet the goal horn for my team's arena (Dallas) is the same as last year (Red Wings I believe). I was looking forward to hearing the real thing.

Yeah, I don't think the arena experience is that great. Compared to a game like MLB: The Show the experience here is a bit of a joke.

The core gameplay does seem to be good though. I'm having fun just playing the game.

People buying this for the GameCenter discount - just get HockeyStreams. It's $99 for a year till the 13th and it's a better product.

Keegs

Jesus this is so disappointing.

My 5 year old son was so looking forward to this. I don't want to spend $60 on a turd.

He knows its coming out today. We've been talking about this for weeks. I can't disappoint him and feel obligated to get it. Fuck.

Yea, I kept my preorder for my 8 year old. He'll play the hell out of and won't care that modes are missing. Hell, he's played the demo every chance he's had since it came out.

I still think the on-ice gameplay is really fun. I'm by no means a pro at it and play it casually so I don't notice a lot of the nuances that bug the die hards. Plus, when I play him 1 v 1 he schools me at it anyways haha.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People buying this for the GameCenter discount - just get HockeyStreams. It's $99 for a year till the 13th and it's a better product.

Isn't that illegal streams of games?

jacobeid

Banned
So has Heroin, doesn't mean it is legit.

My understanding is the site is NOT legit.

Can I watch blackout games so I don't have to get cable?

I bought gamecenter before realizing it wouldn't help me with my home team games. $150 down the drain.

shoplifter

^^ yes, VPN will solve that problem nicely.

Yeah, Hockeystreams is based in the Netherlands which IIRC doesn't have laws regarding re-broadcast. So technically it's legal. I'm still going with GCL because I can get it for $50 rather than full price. That and the league actually gets the money.

I appreciate all of the major junior stuff they tend to add to Hockeystreams though.

^^ yes, VPN will solve that problem nicely.

Yeah, Hockeystreams is based in the Netherlands which IIRC doesn't have laws regarding re-broadcast. So technically it's legal. I'm still going with GCL because I can get it for $50 rather than full price. That and the league actually gets the money.

I appreciate all of the major junior stuff they tend to add to Hockeystreams though.

it just seems like every year i have more and more problems with gcl. specifically on my android phone. the app always seems to suck hard.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So has Heroin, doesn't mean it is legit.

My understanding is the site is NOT legit.
Who cares? After the lockout, Bettman and co deserve the loss of revenue, especially considering how they handle blackouts and the likes with GCL.

bigkrev

I'm someone who exclusively plays exhibition mode, mostly 1v1 vs a person on the couch but sometimes against AI. The only other mode I ever use is GM/Season mode, which I normally abandon after 4-5 games because I just get board.

Should I buy this game? I've gotten my moneys worth out of the previous years without ever touching the game modes they have now removed. Is the on-ice gameplay good?

I'm someone who exclusively plays exhibition mode, mostly 1v1 vs a person on the couch but sometimes against AI. The only other mode I ever use is GM/Season mode, which I normally abandon after 4-5 games because I just get board.

Should I buy this game? I've gotten my moneys worth out of the previous years without ever touching the game modes they have now removed. Is the on-ice gameplay good?

You should buy it.

I think the gameplay itself is actually pretty good. I've seen AI on my own team do some dumb shit on defense that has cost me games but I see that every year.

Cudder

Some thoughts after playing it a few hours last night:

-The gameplay is the best this series has ever seen.
-You have more control than ever to get by defenders, you have a number of different deking strategies at your disposal.
-On defense I feel like the stick lift and poke check aren't as effective as they were in previous years. Perhaps it's more realistic. The best strategy on defense is actually to just stay in the lane of the person you're covering and disrupt him that way.
-Puck physics are incredible. I've already seen a number of plays/situations where the puck took unpredictable turns in front of/around the net, and it really creates suspense because you never know who's going to pick it up.
-I like the new commentary, it's been pretty spot on and matches what happens on ice well enough.
-Opponent AI has definitely been upgraded. They love getting players open to the slot and passing there for a quick shot. Sometimes, in your zone the best strategy is not to control the player going after the puck, but to control the player covering the slot/front of the net so they don't get an easy shot off.
-I like the new menu system. The new stat tracking for Online Versus is nice. And it keeps a record of your games too. (Who you've played, the score, etc)
-The return of the NHL intro video, so cool.
-They need to patch the ability to control the goalie in shootouts and penalty shots. I hate letting AI control the goalie for that, I want to be in control.
-Much quicker startup/bootup from the PS4 system UI. You can get to the game menu pretty quickly.

Overall I liked what I played. Can't wait to play more tonight. I'll keep updating my impressions.

udiie

- You know how each team had that weird oddball fan (Kings had a guy with a crown, Rangers had a statue of liberty...)? Played as the Canucks. One guy has a blue mohawk. The other guy has what looks like a giant golf ball on his head. Come on EA. Ryan Miller could be good this year..

Those motherfuckers...
Any chance you can verify no friend versus mode in HUT?

can someone explain why my goalies in be a gm mode are always sooo bad? yesterday i had a game on pro where my goalie (whos reaction speed is set to the max) gave up 4 goals on 7 shots) no matter what this happens.

can someone explain why my goalies in be a gm mode are always sooo bad? yesterday i had a game on pro where my goalie (whos reaction speed is set to the max) gave up 4 goals on 7 shots) no matter what this happens.

I am having this too. They are really shitty. I think part of it has to do with defense allowing the offense to get big chances. Playing around with the sliders may help.

Cudder

Also what is the point of choosing your favourite team when every game you play the teams default to LA and the Rangers, wtf.

baconcow

I don't know how legit this 3gem review is, but it went up a little after midnight. Score: 5.5/10. Their summary:

Gameplay: 7
Brand new collisions and puck physics engine, New smoother skill stick, game still feels very familiar

Presentation: 8
Great player visuals, Authentic arenas, brand new commentary team, NBC presentation

Value: 3
Missing key game modes, Missing many features both in game and on the menus

Source

I can't recommend HS enough. Works great on my phone and the amount of content you get for a lesser price is amazing.

So its better than GCL? I love the fact that I can watch GCL on any device, but the streams are bad most of the time. The PS4 app is also not good, it streams the worst on there. Most of the time watching my Flyers out of market on GCL is a frustrating experience.

As for the game, I actually bought it on X1... I'm weak. Skipped 14 and I needed some hockey. I also got it for about $26 after Access discount and XBL card I got as a gift.

The gameplay is definitely the best its been on this engine (since 07), but I'm not sure that's saying much. EA NHL was always a purchase for me for the social gaming aspect with EASHL... not so much the on-ice gameplay. For On-ice hockey I was a devout 2K fan until the 2K9 reset debachle.

If they do deliver adding OTP back in, and if we can party up with 5 friends and challenge another team of 5, even with NHL teams, it will still be fun. I figure that plus getting my hockey fix occassionally is worth the $26 I paid.

bumpkin

The gameplay is definitely the best its been on this engine (since 07), but I'm not sure that's saying much. EA NHL was always a purchase for me for the social gaming aspect with EASHL... not so much the on-ice gameplay. For On-ice hockey I was a devout 2K fan until the 2K9 reset debachle.
What is this debacle you speak of? I played a ton of 2K9 on the 360... Was probably my favorite modern hockey video game ever.

So its better than GCL? I love the fact that I can watch GCL on any device, but the streams are bad most of the time. The PS4 app is also not good, it streams the worst on there. Most of the time watching my Flyers out of market on GCL is a frustrating experience.

Literally everything about it is better from price to features to the actual streams themselves

Feeroper

For the GCL code - will this work for Canadians since the Rogers BS? Rogers has the media rights to NHL including GCL this year and the price is $199 (there is an early bird discount though).

Im wondering if the discount with NHL 15 is available for us Canadians given that Rogers is in control?

Cudder

A 7/10 from IGN? Please. What trash. Where is that gif of EA stretching the money out toward IGN and the score going up?

I think it's a fair score. He mentions all of the missing modes in the review. I would understand outlets if they gave it way lower reviews, though.

baconcow

A 7/10 from IGN? Please. What trash. Where is that gif of EA stretching the money out toward IGN and the score going up?

You mean this one, lol? I like how it says "it's a dream" at 7/10.

0e0.gif

eznark

Banned
Colin Moriarty is garbagio.

Rich Grisham is the best!

http://www.gamesradar.com/nhl-15-review/

Despite a core experience that’s undeniably strong, NHL 15 is--in many ways--a major step back in modern sports gaming.

The reason for this is simple. Most of the ways that hockey fans have come to play EA’s well-regarded NHL series for the past several years have vanished in the leap to new-gen consoles. NHL 15 is not just a slimmed-down version of its former self; it is one that is utterly gutted. Not only are significant game modes missing--no online leagues, no EASHL, no Be A Legend, to name just a few--but those that remain are also so devoid of core features that they feel barren.

bigkrev

So from the reviews, the actual gameplay is great, but the missing modes hurts.

Great. Will buy on the way home from work. Could care less about the modes, just want a good game of Hockey.

Jesus, what is with EA taking a ton stuff out of every one of their games...
- The Sims 4 is butchered compared to The Sims 3 (base game) (no open world anymore, no world editor, no toddlers, the list goes on...)
- Simcity (2013) with its tiny ass cities
- Almost all of their sports titles this year!

Top Bottom