• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

PaNaMa

Banned
Voting with my wallet - No sale, E.A. And a hearty f*ck you, too.

It crushes me not to have hockey again this year on my PS4. But by buying this crap, I'm telling them I'm OK with their fleecing me with an insulting, unfinished pos rush job product. Not for $70 EA. Shame on you.

Honestly.

Shame on you.

bumpkin

One game shipped with that as a glitch that happened numerous times a game. NHL 11, maybe?
That shit happens all the time in real hockey. I have goalie friends who would probably get a chuckle out of calling it a "glitch".

That happened in the past three versions. I actually have the full game via access and it's actually pretty good I just don't see how the puck physics changed that much. What has drastically changed is the momentum when skating. The controller will even vibrate when you make a major cut. As someone who plays hockey it feels real
Agreed. I noticed the vibration when you have a full head of steam and do a hard stop and thought it was just a coincidence. It's a shame EA dropped the ball on so many big things; they did put in a lot of little neat little touches.

That happened in the past three versions. I actually have the full game via access and it's actually pretty good I just don't see how the puck physics changed that much. What has drastically changed is the momentum when skating. The controller will even vibrate when you make a major cut. As someone who plays hockey it feels real

Yup, really gives you the sense of when your skate actually digs into the ice, just like normal skating when you can really feel your skate cutting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That shit happens all the time in real hockey. I have goalie friends who would probably get a chuckle out of calling it a "glitch".

Except that in the game I was referring to, it happened about 5 times a game. Off the goalie's chest, straight up into the air, off his back and into the net.

I've been around hockey my whole life. That doesn't happen anywhere close to that much.

It crushes me not to have hockey again this year on my PS4. But by buying this crap, I'm telling them I'm OK with their fleecing me with an insulting, unfinished pos rush job product. Not for $70 EA. Shame on you.

Honestly.

Shame on you.

+1

eshwaaz

Honestly.

Shame on you.
My brother is a huge hockey fan, and he just told me he canceled his preorder. It really does sound disgraceful.

Nuklear

Banned
I really wanted to get this game too but they really missed the mark with the next gen release of this game. I just hope this release doesn't kill the series and EA stops making the NHL games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm really hoping media outlets don't let them get away with it when it comes to reviews. My guess, though, is that we see a lot of 8's with them brushing it off as not a big deal.

I'm really hoping media outlets don't let them get away with it when it comes to reviews. My guess, though, is that we see a lot of 8's with them brushing it off as not a big deal.

I dunno. This is a LOT of features that are missing. I don't think there is any way they are going to avoid some backlash on this . . . especially after having skipped an NHL 14 (while they did ship Madden & FIFA 14).

tmac456

My brother is a huge hockey fan, and he just told me he canceled his preorder. It really does sound disgraceful.

decided to up my willpower and not get this game. rather put my money towards hard working studios. DRIVECLUB may have just got my $60 now that EA failed so hard with NHL

a916

If Titanfall got nailed for not having a single player mode (which it said it wouldn't from the outset because that's not what it was about) and a lack of more modes, then I'm pretty sure NHL will get dinged hard for all the features missing on the current gen versions.

Orca

decided to up my willpower and not get this game. rather put my money towards hard working studios. DRIVECLUB may have just got my $60 now that EA failed so hard with NHL

Of course you're going to wait until after they patch in weather, right? :p

eznark

Banned
Hahahaha at that post content patch.

At this point it seems obvious that this is a marketing experiment by EA. How fuck-awful and incomplete a package can we shit out and still have people buy it? Next year is going to launch 3x as thin.

boingball

Dammit EA. I fear that at some point in the near future we will see only "Legacy" NHL games (i.e. only rooster updates). That will still be enough to milk the addicted customers. Everyone else has been driven away by this shit. No need to invest money in a good product.

I don't think I will ever buy an NHL game for the PS4. It will take them years to get back to PS3 level if they don't go the legacy route. By which time the next consoles will be announced and I loose interest in an NHL game on the PS4. Well, I still have my PS3 and NHL13.

Why EA, why. As a customer i only can vote with my wallet. So did i, just cancelled my PS4 preorder. As much as i was looking forward to play some next-gen hockey this season... i will not. At least not from day1. If they will deliver on their promise as published on operationsports post launch content update/ i might buy NHL15 later on.

It's nothing new to cut out options and re-introduce them with bells and whistles. But to gimp those included modes so fundamental as this year around. It somehow reminds me at the first 360/PS3 sport games from EA.

This NHL15 XB1/PS4 fiasco brings it to new heights. No money from me this time around.

PaNaMa

Banned

It's killing me too, tmac. But we have Destiny tonight, and yeah Driveclub soon..
Maybe if EA patches in a dozen or so missing game modes, and does them right, then we can always revisit our decision on NHL. No way the improve resolution or graphic fidelity this year, tho =\

I guess I'm bucking the trend by buying this game, but it has enough for me assuming they do patch in OTP. I have just about finished my six hour early access trial and overall I'm impressed by the whole package in regards to presentation, physics and game play. I truly get why so many are upset. If EASHL were my main mode then I would balk at purchasing as well. My main modes are versus and OTP and I'm going to give HUT a try this year while waiting for OTP patch.

PaNaMa

Banned
Did they ever comment on their choice to go with yesteryear's resolution and the Vaseline filter?

720p native is acceptable on ps3 and X360. But on next gen, there is no reason this game can't be 1080 60fps - on both XB1 and PS4. It's just not that graphically demanding of a game.

It should look razor sharp. Razor. F'ing. Sharp. There's no destruction, no explosions, very little dynamic lighting. There are no changing environments. It's top down, 2-2.5 D limited scroller, really. 12 animated dudes on a screen, going up and down a sheet of 2D ice.

I just don't get how the game can look so muddy.

Plinko

Did they ever comment on their choice to go with yesteryear's resolution and the Vaseline filter?

720p native is acceptable on ps3 and X360. But on next gen, there is no reason this game can't be 1080 fps - on both XB1 and PS4. It's just not that graphically demanding of a game.

It should look razor sharp. Razor. F'ing. Sharp. There's no destruction, no explosions, very little dynamic lighting. There are no changing environments. It's top down, 2-2.5 D limited scroller, really. 12 animated dudes on a screen, going up and down a sheet of 2D ice.

I just don't get how the game can look so muddy.

I'd like to know this, too.

My guess is that they just simply didn't take the time to optimize it.

I'd like to know this, too.

My guess is that they just simply didn't take the time to optimize it.

Pretty sure we'll look back at this game at the end of the generation(when NHL 20 looks like real life) and just laugh. There's always one or two of those games at the start of each generation, look at how Battlefield 2(an Xbox game rush ported to 360) ended up looking in Battlefield 3 by the end.
I agree, 720p in 2014 is unacceptable.

So i may be the dissenting voice in this, but 95% of my time in this game is spent in 1v1 online matches, so the loss of features doesnt bother me and i believe thats the same for the majority of their customer base.

I will say i hate the new commentary. The main guy's voice is shrill sounding but im just gonna turn off the audio and go straight to listening/watching somthing else while playing this online anyways. I will also mention as well, i just went from a 720p plasma to a 1080p led and im amazed at the difference in the game. At 720p the game was aliased to all hell but at 1080 its a much smoother looking game

jbug617

Banned
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/09/08/nhl-15-details-post-launch-plans.aspx

In a post on the NHL EA Sports forums, Ramjagsingh notes the following content update schedule for NHL 15 on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One:

September

Playoff Mode – Play an offline tourney with 16 teams from the game's 12 leagues. You can sim games, and player and team stats are kept throughout the tourney.
Be a Pro Coach Feedback – Like previous years, your coach will tell you what you need to do to get a better grade.
3 Stars of the Game – At the end of the game (in every mode) you'll see who were the three stars.
Ultimate Team – Updates include new layout and interface for the mode's store, new animations for player items, and an improved edit lines screen.

October

Online Team Play – 5-on-5 online team play.
Drafting in GM Mode – Make your team's picks on draft day. You'll get three minutes to make your pick, but you are also afforded an unspecified amount of time outs if necessary.

3 Stars of the Game – At the end of the game (in every mode) you'll see who were the three stars.

mind-blown-classickzki0.gif

NickFire

Wow. Was about to do a last minute pre-order and then saw the news about how gutted this is feature wise. Now I can't find anything reliable on resolution. I want to believe its because its 1080p on ps4 and not on one, and that ea is hiding this at ms's request (they are rather cozy the last couple years). But its only 13 hours pre-release, which leads me to believe its not 1080p even on ps4.

The lack of modes and lack of information on resolution is crazy. I'd understand a year ago, but not a year post-launch of this generation.

Can't believe it still...I mean seriously, this is starting to sound like Battlefield 4.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/7/6117493/nhl-15-missing-features-xbox-one-ps4

BF4 was somewhat salvageable once the online problem was fixed. At least there was a decent amount of features available.

This isn't salvageable.

Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread (please forgive if this is a repost), the producer took to the forums to answer feedback and give some heads up on coming content.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10167499.page

Some interesting additions. They should have just delayed it. I wonder if the NHL would have been had a say in that.

There really isn't much to get excited about though.

jacobeid

Banned
Agreed. I noticed the vibration when you have a full head of steam and do a hard stop and thought it was just a coincidence. It's a shame EA dropped the ball on so many big things; they did put in a lot of little neat little touches.

Seriously. That feeling when you cut is sogood.gif. Makes me wish an injury didn't end my hockey playing career :(

eznark

Banned
http://www.operationsports.com/features/1955/nhl-15-reviewer-impressions-ps4xb1/

What it comes down to is that this game seems like something that would only be enjoyed by those who just want a barebones hockey experience, with one-on-one versus play or a simplified season mode. If that’s all you’re after, then maybe NHL 15 is up your alley. The problem is that this is 2014, and users have come to expect a certain amount of functionality for both their offline and online experience, and NHL 15, from what I can see so far, just doesn’t have anything resembling that experience.

But then we’re left with reality of the situation: there just isn’t much to do in NHL 15. Be-A-Pro has basically been untouched — you know, except for the fact that you can’t sim shifts anymore, making the mode effectively useless. There is no Live the Life or meaningful career equivalent, and Be-A-GM is basically season mode with trades (no drafting). Add on to this the slew of smaller modes and features that are missing, such as Shootout, Winter Classic, Battle for the Cup, custom music or player creation, and things just start to seem really off.

Everything feels similarly wrong online, with just one-on-one play available (and even that has had a few lag hiccups). But don’t worry about any of the previous stuff, because Hockey Ultimate Team (HUT) is prominently displayed for all to see. Of course it is. The fact that this mode has been included (and many other things haven’t) speaks volumes about EA’s priorities right now. I feel sad for the dev team having to prop up EA's ridiculous moneymaker in the face of such a (seemingly) incomplete product.

Our review of NHL 15 will be posted during the week, but these impressions obviously don’t paint a very good picture for the new generation of hockey. It’s frustrating, disappointing and sad, because I know so many people who were hopeful for this game. Well, the game seems to be there, but the reasons to play it are apparently not.

Holy scathing review, Bettman.

Honome

The only way they could ease all these missing features a little was to give a free voucher for full NHL 15 on PS3/360 for everyone that bought the game for PS4/XBO. At least some could still play EASHL and season mode if they wish... Of course that wouldn´t be enought, but at least it would be something...

Mrbob

NHL 15 is the definition of a retail release being an early access game. Even the post release content additions are nerfed. No human goalies for online team play so now everyone can cheese the CPU goalie. Fantastic.

Meneses

BF4 was somewhat salvageable once the online problem was fixed. At least there was a decent amount of features available.

This isn't salvageable.

Some interesting additions. They should have just delayed it. I wonder if the NHL would have been had a say in that.

There really isn't much to get excited about though.

It definitely feels like they needed to delay the game but someone (EA? NHL?) wouldn't let them.

It makes little sense, though, why rush the game and release it now (on Destiny's day, too) when the hockey season doesn't start until almost one month later?

The Be a Pro coach feedback thing alone makes a big difference to me (still need the Sim-shift to be a more enjoyable experience, but it's a step in the right direction).

Honome

Is there a review embargo by EA??? I am pretty sure there is since we can´t see any final review so far, even with review copies already sent to the media...

Orca

Tagline for my review is 'Plays great, less filling'

Doesn't go up until Friday because of the paper's weekend issue print time, so I have time to decide on the score still.

Antti

Is there a review embargo by EA??? I am pretty sure there is since we can´t see any final review so far, even with review copies already sent to the media...
There is. Some article even mentioned the embargo being exceptionally long.

Top Bottom