• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

Cudder

I have a hunch the game will still end up selling well. There were 20k people online last night on PS4. I've never seen that many in a previous game.

Delt31

game will sell perfectly fine. Ton of people were at target looking for it. The gameplay is the most important part and thankfully it's fine. For those skipping this just for modes alone (and they really don't play them that much but principle they won' buy) - complete waste of a good experience. For those not buying b/c they removed a mode they only play, I hear you and send my condolences as I would be pissed too.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just so people who have EA Access are aware, if you didn't use up your full 6 hours prior to release, you can still use it now. I didn't get much play time with it, so at least I can get a few hours of vs on with the game out now. Still not buying it until I can snag it used for cheaper.

I have a hunch the game will still end up selling well. There were 20k people online last night on PS4. I've never seen that many in a previous game.

Down here they were giving away copies of the game yesterday at various locations with Members of the Leafs signing autographs. I think they are expecting this to not do to well which is why they were giving them away.

dotdotdot

Neo Member
Has anyone been able to confirm if the resolution on the PS4 is worse than the Xbox One? Is it native 720 or 1080? Still on the fence with this one.

MaGlock

Picking thus up on Friday for X1 would anyone be interested in a gaf bracket tournament? I'll set the while thing up on here in community since we are so feature deprived.

baconcow

Has anyone been able to confirm if the resolution on the PS4 is worse than the Xbox One? Is it native 720 or 1080? Still on the fence with this one.

I would also like to know this, as well. Rammer won't answer because he either doesn't know, or it is not native 1080p.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Isn't the season mode the same as Madden's connected franchise offline/online ? I've been playing my season as GM of my Houston Texans, I just let the computer do all the non-game playing stuff.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Back of the box on the PS4 version says 1080p. That's the only "proof" I can find. The game looks fine to me though. I played a few games last night and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. No stuttering, no framerate drops during gameplay (only when the NBC logo does it transition, which is really odd to me why that would cause a frame hiccup), no audio issues, but the game did crash (blue error screen) after I finished a Play Now game. I was playing for the "Don't skip any cutscene" trophy and as soon as I got it the game crashed during the cutscene of the players tapping the goalie on the head. I also had it on 10 minute periods, so I wonder if there's a memory leak somewhere as they don't expect people to play 10 minute periods.

Another little omission I found was that you can't change jersey numbers or captaincy for your Play Now rosters. I think you can do it in the Be A GM mode though. But since I don't play that mode, I can't make a simple change to my rosters like making Cleary #17 instead of #71.

dotdotdot

Neo Member
How could EA completely remove Season mode? Is it a pain in the ass, playing through a season in the franchise / gm mode?

IMACOMPUTA

OTP has never supported that in the previous generation. You have to go back to the PC versions from NHL 2001-2004 where they were much more flexible with the types of online games you could setup. Don't expect that anytime soon if at all given how much other shit the game is missing.

So wait, is there or has there ever been a way to play couch co-op online player locked against other people?

Cudder

How much did Be a Pro lose this year? It's really the only reason that I care to buy sports games these days.
You automatically start on an NHL team, and can't be sent back down to the minors. You also can't Sim to the next shift which is huge. You have to watch the game play out from the bench until you get back in. And there's no coach feedback or goals to get during gameplay.

How would this even be possible?

I dunno . . . but EA seems a bit chummy with Microsoft. MS got Titanfall as an exclusive, there is a Madden 15 Bundle, there was a Titanfall Bundle, Peggle 2 was a xbone exclusive, PvZ was Xbone exclusive, EA Access is only on Xbone.

So maybe there is some tilt of EA toward the Xbox?

You automatically start on an NHL team, and can't be sent back down to the minors. You also can't Sim to the next shift which is huge. You have to watch the game play out from the bench until you get back in. And there's no coach feedback or goals to get during gameplay.

Also all of the "real life" stuff from last year (reputations with teammates, press, etc, interviews) are all gone as well. It's as barebones as it can get.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
I dunno . . . but EA seems a bit chummy with Microsoft. MS got Titanfall as an exclusive, there is a Madden 15 Bundle, there was a Titanfall Bundle, Peggle 2 was a xbone exclusive, PvZ was Xbone exclusive, EA Access is only on Xbone.

So maybe there is some tilt of EA toward the Xbox?

Well let's be honest, I'm sure Microsoft deciding that an always online Xbox with no used games had something to do with the, sorry with some of the, publishers' requests. I have little doubt in my mind that Electronic Arts was not only in favor of that approach, but pushing MS for it.

Having said that, until things make an obvious change, I'll be going Xbox One over Playstation 4 for any EA titles. Same way I'll be getting all the Ubisoft stuff on PS4 over XB1. If a publisher is for whatever the reason buddying up with one over the other, I'll just run with it given I'm fortunate enough to have both systems and a CrossFire, Eyefinity gaming PC.

sqwarlock

Also all of the "real life" stuff from last year (reputations with teammates, press, etc, interviews) are all gone as well. It's as barebones as it can get.

Guess this year is a pass for me then. Haven't played NHL since '12 and really wanted to get a good one this year. :/

So basically it's a soulless shell of what it used to be?

Seems appropriate.

posted?

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2014/nhl-15-game-notes

EA is adding more content to the game with upcoming patches

Playoff Mode

Create a custom offline tournament bracket with up to 16 teams from any of the 12 leagues in the game. Play or simulate each game and track player and team stats throughout the tournament.

Be A Pro - Coach Feedback

Get the coach’s feedback while you are on the bench. The coach will give you tips on how to stay on top of your game and grade you on your play.

3 Stars of the Game

At the end of the game, see the three stars and their high level stats. Will apply to every game mode.

Online Team Play

Online multiplayer mode where every player on the ice can be human controlled.

GM Draft

For the first time in the NHL franchise, you will be put on the clock and feel the pressure like real NHL GM’s. You will now only have 3 minutes to make a draft pick. If the pressure is too much, you can also call timeouts to extend the amount of time you have to make a draft pick or potentially negotiate a trade. You can make trades at any time during the draft. The CPU will also propose trades to each other and the user throughout the draft.

posted?

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2014/nhl-15-game-notes

EA is adding more content to the game with upcoming patches

Playoff Mode

Create a custom offline tournament bracket with up to 16 teams from any of the 12 leagues in the game. Play or simulate each game and track player and team stats throughout the tournament.

Be A Pro - Coach Feedback

Get the coach’s feedback while you are on the bench. The coach will give you tips on how to stay on top of your game and grade you on your play.

3 Stars of the Game

At the end of the game, see the three stars and their high level stats. Will apply to every game mode.

Online Team Play

Online multiplayer mode where every player on the ice can be human controlled.

GM Draft

For the first time in the NHL franchise, you will be put on the clock and feel the pressure like real NHL GM’s. You will now only have 3 minutes to make a draft pick. If the pressure is too much, you can also call timeouts to extend the amount of time you have to make a draft pick or potentially negotiate a trade. You can make trades at any time during the draft. The CPU will also propose trades to each other and the user throughout the draft.
I'll believe it when I see it.

So is every players face in the game? Or are we talking about each NHL team's top two lines or do they have more players?

Pretty much just the popular players. They said they added faces but they certainly haven't gotten to everyone yet. The faces don't animate particularly well either.

Smash88

Banned
rHz3GfE.jpg

Lemondish

Sens fan here. In my first match ever I scored my first goal a minute in against the Leafs. Game crashed right as Bobby Ryan started to celebrate. Annoying feature.

Top Bottom