• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

iqubal

Banned
So the reviews seem to say this is the best game so far as mechanics are concerned, but a bunch of extra fluff has been left out. I actually prefer it that way. One of the biggest turn offs for me is all the extraneous modes. I just want to play the damn sport. Give me exhibition matches. Give me season play. Make it feel good, and you are done.

There is no season mode lol.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Makes no sense whatsoever.
To clarify: my brother and I couldn't play HUT together (on the same team) in offline solo mode.

HUT is a broken mess right now, especially after playing (Fifa's) FUT. Here are some examples how:

- In HUT after you make a bid, there's no notification that you've been outbid unless you're looking at the actual card. When you make a bid, there's a bright blue tab that says TOP BID or something. When you get outbid, there's a bright blue tab that says OUTBID. They look almost identical.

- There's no way to back out of an auction once you've been outbid. Your coins are stuck in that transaction until it ends.

- Once it ends and you're supposed to get your coins back, your coin total doesn't actually refresh until you exit out of the entire fucking mode and re-join it.

- If you lose an auction, most of the time the card just disappears so you don't know how much it sold for. This also has happened when I've won an auction. I discovered the card hours later purely by chance.

Finally, If you get a good player via packs or auction (let's say Datsyuk) and you need to shift down your centers (and get rid of your fourth line center), here's the process:

1. Select fourth line center. Remove him from your team (you can't just swap him for Datsyuk, because the swapping feature only shows cards on your active roster, instead of all of your cards, because reasons).

2. Select the empty slot. Pick Datsyuk.

3. Select the top line center. Select swap. Swap him with Datsyuk. Watch the slow 4 second animation of the cards swapping.

4. Select the second line center. Select swap. Swap him with your fourth line center (who is now your second best player you just swapped with Datsyuk). Watch the slow 4 second animation of the cards swapping.

5. Select the third line center. Select swap. Swap him with your fourth line center. Watch the slow 4 second animation of the cards swapping.

Congratulations, you're finis- oh wait you've only adjusted your lineup for 5 on 5 even strength. You now have to do the same process for 5 man PP, 4 man PK, 3 man PP, 3 man PK, Shootout.

Every time you get a good player.

dsghjfsdghsdfjkglsdhdsfgafdgs

AlexIIDX

So the reviews seem to say this is the best game so far as mechanics are concerned, but a bunch of extra fluff has been left out. I actually prefer it that way. One of the biggest turn offs for me is all the extraneous modes. I just want to play the damn sport. Give me exhibition matches. Give me season play. Make it feel good, and you are done.

I wouldn't call EASHL "fluff"...it was a hugely popular game mode.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So, is the game choppy for anyone else when connected to the internet? It's unplayable unless I switch off my connection.

Ya it was horrendously choppy for me. EA, seriously, what in the fuck are you doing? I don't want to disconnect from the Internet every time I wanna play this damn game.

So I apply a injury card to one of my HUT players and twice now it just seizes up the only option after is to give the player a contract..Can't back out can't do shit. SMH

NickFire

They gave it a 7/10. Yesterday that was proof a game sucked unbelievable ass. Today, it's proof EA bought IGN's opinion?

I never said 7/10 sucked ass. Also never said bought of course. But won't ever be shocked if they are higher than sites ea doesn't spend huge money advertising with, or than sites who don't have links to buy the game in the review of the game. Also will never take them serious again for games after the way they reacted to people critical of Xbox one a year ago.

terrible

Banned
I've had a lot of audio bugs so far. Sometimes the sound completely cuts out and other times it just sounds like the play by play guys are in a cave. Restarting the game fixes that.

Also I get a ton of video flickering. I was worrying it was my TV but I switched to my monitor and it did the same thing.

With that said I can't help but think the game is more fun than the last two I bought (NHL 13 and NHL 09). Should be a $30 game considering the lack of features though.

Edit: I should clarify my earlier statement saying you can play offline co-op. That was with the regular "play now" mode or whatever it is called. I also tried it in Be a GM mode and it works there too, though unlike in "play now" mode you can't play against each other, you can only be on the same team. I haven't tried it online or with other modes.

baconcow

They gave it a 7/10. Yesterday that was proof a game sucked unbelievable ass. Today, it's proof EA bought IGN's opinion?

70-80% means hardcore/niche good or mainstream below average/with issues. Under 70% percent is bad with under 50% meaning it isn't worth you're money. NHL '15 is an unfinished game with good gameplay. As a $29.99 game, it would have been an acceptable 7 or 8/10. As a $60-70 game, it is an insulting joke to those who believed in EA's marketing. Now, when EA Vancouver speak, many will take what they say with a grain of salt. It's too bad, however, that mainstream gamers tend to have a 5-minute memory in these situations.

What the hell is HUT mode? Isn't it some pay-to-win fantasy league?

More or less.

Which is a damn shame, because the mode is actually very fun and very addicting. Unfortunately it becomes pay to win/pay to play as once you start accumulating a good roster, the cost of re-upping players contracts costs you more money then you can hope to earn by playing the game.

"Ultimate Team" mode across all EA games, could've been the best thing to happen to sports games in a decade, but the greedy micro-transaction business model completely ruins the mode.

ngower

Bought the game last night. It's fun. That's all I need right now: fun. Patched-in content should make it significantly better.

keezy

Well this just happened in an offline game.

The game really is buggy, I've played maybe five games and seen all kinds of things. The glitches aren't nearly as annoying as the slow, laggy menus though. It feels like it takes forever to do anything in this game.

Yesterday I was playing and the computer dumped the puck in. It wrapped around the glass behind the net. Once it got in the trapezoid they counted it as a goal. I wish I saved the video.

Rbk_3

Can anyone comment on the xbox version looking superior to the ps4? I have the ps4 version coming today, because I assumed it would be the better version but from what I've been hearing the xbox version looks better.

If that's the case, I want to return it for the xbox version. I played both demos and early access on the xbox and it does look sharper and less blurry.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
You can give a good review to a game, even if it lacks modes, as long as the gameplay is good. Street Fighter 4 has Arcade, Training, a "challenge" mode (which is basically just doing a specific combo) Online, and (I think) a Survival mode, while Injustice has all of those plus a cutscene filled story mode, and dozens of other modes.

Street Fighter is the better game though, on the virtue that it is a better fighting game.

SF4 didn't gut their previous modes in the future additions of SF4. It's different when you start with "X" amount of modes, then release the next title and decide to gut 90% of the modes.

eznark

Banned
Jay Malone (no idea) pops out the worst review I've seen yet. This must be his first hockey game.

http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/hockey-makes-leap-onto-next-generation-platforms-nhl-15-review/

The next generation jump for NHL 15 is far from a mind blowing one. It brings about fantastic visuals and more of the same excellent gameplay we have come to expect. Unfortunately, it really is just more of the same but with an impressive visual bump. Of course, the improved presentation is nice as well but it lacks that oomph needed to wow consumers. That being said, EA Canada has done enough to create a very recommendable hockey game, but they may have some trouble on their hands if they continue to provide more of the same next year.

I wish it was just more of the same but with a visual bump!

IMACOMPUTA

I need an answer, guys!
Is there any kind of season/franchise mode with 4 player couch co-op?

Something more than a one-off game ?

bigkrev

Played about 2 hours last night, without the day 1 patch because PSN was acting up all night (It took longer to download the 1.5 GB patch than it did the near 50 GB TLOU:R a few weeks ago....)

I really like the feel of the game so far, but it's too easy to score (the average sv% in each of the games I played was in the mid 800s), and like others have mentioned, you get away with passes that would never work in a real game.

I don't mind the missing modes, but I will say the menu feels... barren. They had to copy the Madden/Fifa stuff, when they don't have the content?

If only it was all fluff. The game shipping on day 1 has core modes completely missing. How does a sports game in 2014 not have online co-op?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Glad to see Gamespot tore them a new one. 5.0, nice.

At least the reviews are stating the obvious, the lack of game modes from NHL 14 to 15, EA can try all the want to say the poor sales are from the small population, but the review scores and written reviews tell the real truth.

depward

Watching some streams of this last night confirms my decision to not buy. Not going to give EA any money for this years' offering, especially after the EASHL debacle.

Was thinking oh but hey, would love to try some HUT for the first time... but then reading how buggy it is and time consuming to do little things makes me want to steer clear.

Question: can anyone give details on the Gamecenter Live promo? Is there an expiration? New customers only? What are the details of the $ off?

bigkrev

Watching some streams of this last night confirms my decision to not buy. Not going to give EA any money for this years' offering, especially after the EASHL debacle.

Was thinking oh but hey, would love to try some HUT for the first time... but then reading how buggy it is and time consuming to do little things makes me want to steer clear.

Question: can anyone give details on the Gamecenter Live promo? Is there an expiration? New customers only? What are the details of the $ off?

It's 25 dollars off (at least in the PS4 box), and expires 12/31/14. No mention if its new customers only, but I would assume it only applies to the full price, not the monthly payment price

Fun fact: You can't look at the box score for games you sim in GM mode.

The only information available at all is the final score listed on that date on the calender (which is in a menu separate from the one you play/sim from). This is basic shit EA. The more I play, the more it becomes clear that this game is just an early alpha that they stabilized and printed on a disc. Half the game is missing and the half that is there is half complete. Add in the numerous bugs and painfully slow UI and you have a fairly miserable product. Seeing Madden and Fifa take big steps forward while this franchise falls flat on its face has really bummed me out.

eznark

Banned
I'm torn. On one hand, supporting EA for a half-assed effort just feels wrong. But on the other hand, I just hope that the boycott doesn't hurt sales so much that 16 doesn't happen.

EA letting the license lapse wouldn't be the worst thing, given this embarrassing effort they shit out.

EA letting the license lapse wouldn't be the worst thing, given this embarrassing effort they shit out.

But no one else would pick the license up. 2K is out of the hockey business, and no one else will want to get in. Maybe there isn't a market for a hockey game. Someone would probably put out an iOS game or something, but if EA leaves the hockey license behind, the real result is no more hockey on the consoles.

From the Gamespot review:

Offense is still a little off, though, due largely to the frequent presence of impossible plays. Too often I spotted star forwards like a Phil Kessel or a Patrick Kane doing something absurd, like snapping a no-look, lightning-fast backhand across the slot by barely moving their sticks. There are still too many tape-to-tape bullets and too much pinball puck movement resulting in supernatural feats of hockey not possible in the real world.

Note to EA: Even if the game were feature complete I still wouldn't pick it up because of shit like this. This super-human crap has been a problem for I don't know how many years and it drives me up the wall knowing that nothing's been done to fix it.

From the Gamespot review:

Note to EA: Even if the game were feature complete I still wouldn't pick it up because of shit like this. This super-human crap has been a problem for I don't know how many years and it drives me up the wall knowing that nothing's been done to fix it.

Does Hardcore mode fix this?

I think pass accuracy slider is going down to 0 tonight.

Keegs

There is no season mode lol.

There (more or less) is. It's the Be a GM mode. It's ridiculous they buried it there and there's no manual to speak of to point it out. I came across that in a forum somewhere.

After playing a few hours of it last night it I like the on ice stuff even more after playing it for awhile. It does have some quirks though, for sure. Like it's aggravating when the opponent AI goes into SUPER AGGRESSIVE MODE and you just know they're going to score. That's been around for the last few in the series and they still haven't fixed it. Maybe that would be good to rubberband the game and keep the score close, but it does it randomly (even when they're up by 2-3 goals). Some of the other stuff still works too, like high percent scoring when shooting right after a faceoff win the offensive zone.

The puck physics are wonky sometimes, but for the most part I like it. Hitting the post or crossbar and watching the puck rattle around the cage is pretty sweet.

As a side note, my kid got the Xbox 360 version at his grandparents' house (we have it on PS4 at home) and that game looks EXACTLY the same as NHL 14 from what I saw of him playing it. Same menus as 14 and everything. That version seems to have all the old modes in it, and you can sim to the next shift in the "live the life" mode (which you can't on PS4 or XBONE). It's cool that it has the NBC commentary though, that's almost worth buying the next edition alone if you don't have a new system.

Overall, I'm not regretting that I bought it since my kid will play it a ton, and I'll have fun tinkering with it. I can see why a lot of folks are pissed though, and I hope they fix the bugs quickly.

I'd bet it'll be on EA Access by then

I think that is my plan. I'll play some NHL 14 on the 360 and then a little NHL 15 on the xbone when it shows up on EA Access.

But no one else would pick the license up. 2K is out of the hockey business, and no one else will want to get in. Maybe there isn't a market for a hockey game. Someone would probably put out an iOS game or something, but if EA leaves the hockey license behind, the real result is no more hockey on the consoles.
Yeah, if it really only sells ~1 million and it is the only hockey game, I guess that is why they've stopped taking it seriously.

2K still had access to the license, I think they just dropped out because being the #2 hockey game was not really profitable. (But I think that if they had recompiled NHL 2K10 for the Xbone & PS4 and released it with all its features, it would have done very well last year (against nothing) and this year (against EA's 1/2 game).

Boogdud

I'm not sure why they even bothered releasing this on the ps4 and x1 (other than straight up greed, or trying to recoup what little dev $ they sunk into the next gen version).

I mean it's bad enough every year we get a minor facelift and a roster update and we still buy it, but this?

That's good enough for me.
I'll just pray that OTP supports couch co-op when it's released and I'm golden.

OTP has never supported that in the previous generation. You have to go back to the PC versions from NHL 2001-2004 where they were much more flexible with the types of online games you could setup. Don't expect that anytime soon if at all given how much other shit the game is missing.

BTW not sure if you guys saw but Rammer (producer) explained why the game is missing so much-- the old code base was too hard to maintain and update so they wanted to rebuild it in a more flexible way. I'm assuming they had the same problem that Madden had until a few years ago when they moved over to the Connected Careers mode-- it was 4x the work to maintain every mode in the past than when they moved all of the modes to one code base with Connected Careers.

That being said, they made several poor decisions.
A) This isn't the year they should've rebuilt the game modes. Last year, or the year before that was the time.
B) I'm currently coding the new version of my company's website. The intent is to throw away as much of the old stuff as possible, but we didn't just do that all at once. It's going to happen over time. First we replace the header and the home page using the new technologies we're using, then we'll move on to other pages. The new pages and old pages can sit alongside each other-- just that we aren't updating the old stuff anymore and they will eventually go away. NHL team could've done something similar with the modes.

Top Bottom