• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's going to be very interesting to see how this game's week on sales figures turn out compared to NHL 14, 13, and 12. I don't think the game ever hits the one million copies sold mark, but if they start to see single percentage points of sales going down with this year's NHL, it will definitely raise eye brows at EA. The consumer won't be the one to blame though, but I'm sure EA will try to say it was the lacking consumer versus their crappy efforts of managing the NHL 15 project.

Delt31

If you have not tried this already, change the camera to true broadcast as it’s very impressive. Not only does it look like a real hockey game (and really addresses some of my concerns that this game did not look next gen enough as I believe it removes that fuzzy filter), the gameplay actually is a little different, with the tempo being faster paced (although still very sim) while keeping that butter smooth gameplay. It is really impressive and actually has me playing this way online. JUST REMEMBER to change the shooting option in control to always up otherwise the controls can be wonky.

Give this a try – I’ve always used the default cam (which in this game is really good too) but after scoring a wrist shot off the wing and seeing what looked like a goal I was watching on TV, I was a believer. The angle even allows you to see your whole team (including your D) which allows you to plan better while not having the camera so pulled out it looks like a genesis game. Makes sense as this is the same way TV broadcasts it so the viewer can see the whole game. It’s also not that foreign if you’re a fifa or NBA player since it plays the same (left to right, etc) and since the rink is much smaller than the field, you can be fairly zoomed in and not lose much (similar to NBA). Best of all, I find myself having better set plays, clearer passing lines, esencially playing more realistic hockey and again, it just looks amazing (on NBA 2k impressive).

On a side note, where did the crowd chants go in this game? I don’t even here a lets go _______ anymore!

If you have not tried this already, change the camera to true broadcast as it’s very impressive. Not only does it look like a real hockey game (and really addresses some of my concerns that this game did not look next gen enough as I believe it removes that fuzzy filter), the gameplay actually is a little different, with the tempo being faster paced (although still very sim) while keeping that butter smooth gameplay. It is really impressive and actually has me playing this way online. JUST REMEMBER to change the shooting option in control to always up otherwise the controls can be wonky.

Give this a try – I’ve always used the default cam (which in this game is really good too) but after scoring a wrist shot off the wing and seeing what looked like a goal I was watching on TV, I was a believer. The angle even allows you to see your whole team (including your D) which allows you to plan better while not having the camera so pulled out it looks like a genesis game. Makes sense as this is the same way TV broadcasts it so the viewer can see the whole game. It’s also not that foreign if you’re a fifa or NBA player since it plays the same (left to right, etc) and since the rink is much smaller than the field, you can be fairly zoomed in and not lose much (similar to NBA). Best of all, I find myself having better set plays, clearer passing lines, esencially playing more realistic hockey and again, it just looks amazing (on NBA 2k impressive).

On a side note, where did the crowd chants go in this game? I don’t even here a lets go _______ anymore!

Yeah, I've been playing in True Broadcast. It's great but I think it's making it more difficult to put plays together. The big problem is trying to deal with the AI cross ice passes. I still need to play around with the sliders to see if I can nerf those.

bradigor

My biggest issue with the game is that it appears to have a fps issue. It just isn't as smooth as it used to be. I don't usually notice this stuff, but this feels sub 30fps and very stuttery.

baconcow

My copy sits sealed at home. As incredibly disappointed as I am, with this release, I have the Ultimate Version fro $49 (from $80) from the Canadian E3 sale. I have not owned an EA NHL game since NHL '08. I hate to have to buy NHL '14 or NHL '15 on my PS3, since I rarely play it. Should I wait until it drops to $20? I really wanted a dedicated season mode, playoffs (which are coming), and proper simulation capability (action tracker removed in NHL '15 for PS4).

Is the game 1080p? No one from EA will answer.

I enjoyed the demo and played something around 10-15 games.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
Picked up the game last night. Messed around with it for a bit. Played one game using Skill stick - ALL-STAR - Hardcore default settings. Took two random teams as I usually do when trying to figure out settings I like. First time ever with an NHL Game that I played right through the entire game without stopping every 5 minutes to adjust settings.

First impressions of game play are that things are much better. Puck physics is noticeable. Caused a goal off a partial shot block. Was nice to see.

For those interested in stats type stuff. I played 10 minute periods, was down 3-0 after 1st. Tied it 3-3 with 39 seconds left in 3rd. They scored with 9 seconds left in game. Shots were 25-37 me, hits were 18-27 me. So I was also relatively happy with those.

One question I did have - in create a player, is there no way to edit the faces (ie. add a beard or change eye/hair colour)? I assume this is due to the new facial animations but can someone hopefully please confirm that I'm an idiot and missed something obvious?

Thanks

Thank you

bumpkin

Figures... I assumed picking this game up would be like any/every other EA Sports game; stores get so many copies you can just stroll in any time and buy it. Imagine my surprise when I was checking my local Best Buy to find a copy on PS4 for this weekend and they didn't have any. :(

They have it on XB1, but I much prefer the feel of the DS4 after playing the demo on both.

creyas

EA just sent a newsletter that NHL 15 is OUT NOW.!!!1

..while my PS4 is showing over 5 hours left on the countdown. Yeah, everything but the digital copy is out. Fucckk

It's going to be very interesting to see how this game's week on sales figures turn out compared to NHL 14, 13, and 12. I don't think the game ever hits the one million copies sold mark, but if they start to see single percentage points of sales going down with this year's NHL, it will definitely raise eye brows at EA. The consumer won't be the one to blame though, but I'm sure EA will try to say it was the lacking consumer versus their crappy efforts of managing the NHL 15 project.

Naw. They follow metacritic closely. They know where the blame goes. The only question is whether it is because the team screwed up or because the team was short-changed on enough resources.

a916

Was there any legit source that claimed they were working on this for 2 years? Because Colin from IGN just dropped the tidbit that they only started work on it after NHL 14 shipped... (<11 months)

PaNaMa

Banned
Still no word on the game's actual resolution, is there?
The demo on PS4 looked *terrible*. Players looked muddy as hell, and there was a weird blur filter going on or something.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Pretty much just the popular players. They said they added faces but they certainly haven't gotten to everyone yet. The faces don't animate particularly well either.

The faces in this game really annoy me, they don't look realistic at all. When they move their mouths, they look like a cow chewing grass.

NBA 2K14 really raised my standards on what I expect from sports games when it comes to player likeness.

Why does the Xbone version have review score 11 points higher than the PS4 version? Is there a difference or is it just different reviewers?

Just tried this.
This is super cool. Way better than the standard cam and a great feeling.

Samus4145

Check the bold. I love the True Broadcast view, but before updating the controls, it was very awkward.

Delt31

How cool is this..... Playing online and my opponent takes a shot that I got a fairly late poke check to block. Problem is the velocity was so strong it shatters my stick which goes flying in multiple directions actually hitting players in the process. Meanwhile the puck is still going towards the goal but on a diff line than expected due to the block and they score.

I know the devs mangled the modes but cmon now that's awesome. For those sitting on the sidelines out of principle and liked the demo you are missing out.

How cool is this..... Playing online and my opponent takes a shot that I got a fairly late poke check to block. Problem is the velocity was so strong it shatters my stick which goes flying in multiple directions actually hitting players in the process. Meanwhile the puck is still going towards the goal but on a diff line than expected due to the block and they score.

I know the devs mangled the modes but cmon now that's awesome. For those sitting on the sidelines out of principle and liked the demo you are missing out.

Yeah, honestly I have been an EA hockey hater ever since NHL 2K dropped on the dreamcast. Huge 2K fan, and I felt like EA was always super arcadey and riddled with glitch goals, ridiculous AI and just had terrible gameplay. I bought EA NHL strictly to play EASHL with friends, while laughing at how absurd the gameplay was (though I skipped 14).

I have to admit, this game actually plays fairly well. I've seen some really nice things so far. There are without a doubt many legacy issues that still persist, but this is the best EA hockey on-ice gameplay of all time. I still don't think its better than 2K in the glory years, but its MUCH better than every EA NHL on last gen.

I need to try the True Broadcast view. I'm an "up/down" player in all sports games, I still use 2K cam in NBA 2K, I need to play with proper strategy and "see the field" so to speak. For that reason I'm reluctant to try Broadcast in NHL, but I'll give it a shot tonight.

Such a shame this game is so feature-neutered. The actual gameplay is the best EA has ever made.

I have two copies, one ultimate and one regular. I plan on selling one but my question is what is HUT mode and is it online? Apparently I get 2 card packs a week for 25 weeks but I've never played it before so I'm not sure if its worth keeping since I can get some extra cash selling the Ultimate edition.

djblue89

I have two copies, one ultimate and one regular. I plan on selling one but my question is what is HUT mode and is it online? Apparently I get 2 card packs a week for 25 weeks but I've never played it before so I'm not sure if its worth keeping since I can get some extra cash selling the Ultimate edition.

I'll buy that code off you if you want :) PM me

baconcow

I am considering keeping my unopened NHL '15 Ultimate Edition if someone wants to buy my HUT code off me. Otherwise, I'll just wait until the game is $20 and with features, in a few months. Send me a PM, if interested.

Edit: Code gone.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Naw. They follow metacritic closely. They know where the blame goes. The only question is whether it is because the team screwed up or because the team was short-changed on enough resources.

My understanding is a dev team doesn't set/establish the rules, the publisher does. EA would be to blame on this in my opinion.

dotdotdot

Neo Member
Why won't EA just acknowledge the resolution of this game. I'd probably buy a copy if I knew which one had the better resolution. I didn't really see a difference in the quality of the graphics comparing the ps4 and xbox one demo. However, I don't want to buy a 720 game if a 1080 version is available for the same price.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/nhl-15-review/1900-654/

Whatever NHL 15 gains in visual fidelity, it loses several times over in depth and replay value. In asking players to pay a premium price for this game, you're implying that all the stuff that's been tossed aside in favor of just getting a game running on these machines didn't really matter, that you should still buy this game because it plays hockey pretty well and looks nice. Given that I've just dusted off my copy of NHL 14, and tossed my copy of NHL 15 on the shelf with no intention of touching it for the foreseeable future, let's just say I very much disagree with that notion.

2/5

Delt31

Both have the same resolution. Not confirmed by EA but unlike other games with resolution difference I can't tell between both and I've played both. For example ghosts was diff and obvious when I played both

rafaelr

My biggest issue with the game is that it appears to have a fps issue. It just isn't as smooth as it used to be. I don't usually notice this stuff, but this feels sub 30fps and very stuttery.

can you try turning off the PS4´s internet connection? i had the same problem in the demo, and this was the only way to completely fix it.
if the same problem still exists in the full game i definitely won´t get it before it´s patched.

dotdotdot

Neo Member
Both have the same resolution. Not confirmed by EA but unlike other games with resolution difference I can't tell between both and I've played both. For example ghosts was diff and obvious when I played both

Do we know what the resolution is? I don't see the xbox one version looking better than the ps4 like some claim. Not saying they are wrong, I just don't see it.

Worst NHL game ever, and sadly I'll play it because I didn't play NHL 14 after PS4 released.

I don't know what EA was thinking. Pucks are magnets and every shot is like a pinball. But hey, online play.. which disconnect so frequently that I've yet to finish a full game. Game is also broken in so many other ways that have been mentioned before.

I got two copies cause I thought I'll play with my brother but now I'm going to return one.

Filth

How can the net code be so fucking bad. Holy shit. Talk about unresponsive controls. And is it possible to have the option settings save? So fucking annoying having to change the default settings everytime I turn the game on

keezy

Been playing online yesterday and today. Having a blast. I never really played EASHL or the other modes. I can definitely see peoples frustration with those game-modes being taken out. I was always big on the online heads up games.

alex92

Neo Member
Hey guys, can any of you help me to understand the rules and buttons of this game. I got it today (a day early in UK) and I won't lie I'm not sure of the rules or what certain moves mean (slap shot, wrist shot, deke, etc)

Can anyone give me a beginners guide?

Cheers

Delt31

How can the net code be so fucking bad. Holy shit. Talk about unresponsive controls. And is it possible to have the option settings save? So fucking annoying having to change the default settings everytime I turn the game on

I haven't had any issues with online play. seems like others haven't either so maybe it was random?

resolution in my opinion is 900 at best def not 1080. Not official though.

Delt31

even the low version of the default cam is really good. Surprising how you can still see enough to play well and it looks great.

Hey guys, can any of you help me to understand the rules and buttons of this game. I got it today (a day early in UK) and I won't lie I'm not sure of the rules or what certain moves mean (slap shot, wrist shot, deke, etc)

Can anyone give me a beginners guide?

I'm just learning the skill stick myself. There are a lot of things you do in this game. Some help:
Slap shot - a really hard shot where you take a back-swing and hit the puck hard.
wrist shot - No backswing, when you just take a shot by flicking it with the stick.
deke - a trick move where you try to fool the defender. The deke button is very context sensitive.
saucer pass - when you pass it by lifting it off the ice so that it will go over defender's sticks.
Check - hitting the opponent . . . you are only supposed to do this to the person with the puck.
Poke check - when you use your stick to try to grab the puck from an opponent
One-timer - when someone passes you the puck and you immediately try shoot with a slap shot such that you only touch the puck once.

FLEABttn

Banned
It seems the trapezoid is for show because I've seen like 6 different goaltenders play the puck outside of it with no penalty.

terrible

Banned
Check the bold. I love the True Broadcast view, but before updating the controls, it was very awkward.
It looks incredible (seriously) but even after changing the controls it felt unnatural. I will stick to overhead with zoom off. It looks mediocre but I can see how much space I have really easily and I play way better like that.

IMACOMPUTA

Lol. Ummmm.
What the fuck is up with the ps4 bug causing shitty fps while your network connection is active?
This is fucking ridiculous.
Seriously??

Wow.

I haven't had any issue playing (offline) games while connected to my internet on the PS4.

The menus however are atrocious in their loading/transition times.

baconcow

After playing several games.
  • [+] Game plays very well, at least for someone new with recent NHL gaming.
  • [+] Game looks decent, for sub-1080p. Fuzzy on all screens, including the menus.
  • [Neutral] I suck at this game. 0 - 4 on default settings. (Sens 1-3, Sens 1-3, Oilers 1-5, Sens 2-7... seems i am getting worse, I was even winning that last one 2-1, and dropped 6 in a row... poor defence, weak poke check, too).
  • [-] The menus, oh god. More peanut butter. How can they possibly be this bad. Fixing these would improve the Be a GM experience 10-fold.
  • [-] In Be a GM, simulating a season takes a LONG time and those scout pop-ups are very annoying. Many aspects are poorly created.
  • [-] Missing the nice simulation/action tracker from the older games.
  • [-] Need season mode! Not this Be a GM mode.
  • [-] Glitches. I was taking a faceoff and my player froze with his stick in the air... the other team scored on me.
  • [- -] Trophies that require HUT, buying, and selling. Yeah no platinum for me.
  • [- - -] Missing an unnaceptable amount of features and modes from previous entries.
  • [- - -] A million other MINOR things that could easily be improved or added to enhance the experience.

terrible

Banned
I'm 25+ games into my season and I'm starting to get annoyed with a few things. The more I play the more it annoys me lol.

Why does the CPU get almost every single rebound? Outside of rebounds that bounce into the corner it is nearly impossible to get a rebound.

Why do my teammates never face in the direction of the puck in the offensive zone? I can't get any one timers or quick shots off because they are never in position for it. Changing the offensive strategies doesn't help. The CPU has no issues with this though and they score with incredible efficiency. I can outshoot them 40 to 13 and still lose 5-3. Both of my goalies have a sub .800 SV% on the year.

I'm still winning the majority of my games but I always feel cheated when I lose. The CPU all of a sudden goes into a "you can't do anything to stop me" mode and scores three goals in a row, or at least that is what it seems like. It's like the AI isn't smart enough to ever actually outplay me so it has to cheat to make games seem close when they shouldn't be.

Top Bottom