• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

alex92

Neo Member
I'm just learning the skill stick myself. There are a lot of things you do in this game. Some help:
Slap shot - a really hard shot where you take a back-swing and hit the puck hard.
wrist shot - No backswing, when you just take a shot by flicking it with the stick.
deke - a trick move where you try to fool the defender. The deke button is very context sensitive.
saucer pass - when you pass it by lifting it off the ice so that it will go over defender's sticks.
Check - hitting the opponent . . . you are only supposed to do this to the person with the puck.
Poke check - when you use your stick to try to grab the puck from an opponent
One-timer - when someone passes you the puck and you immediately try shoot with a slap shot such that you only touch the puck once.

Many thanks!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I can outshoot them 40 to 13 and still lose 5-3.
Randy_Carlyle_0410_NP-600x320.jpg

Looks up rule . . . Ah, I didn't know that rule. Now I understand why teams do dump & chase. I always though dump & chase was useless.
It was more effective in the 90s when the defensive style was different and you couldn't pass out of your own zone and past the face off line with one pass (two line pass).

The trapezoid rule is rarely called anyways when they should be called and defensemen are coached to handle those situations differently. That mixed with the whole possession game being the new thing right now in the NHL means teams want to hang onto the puck more than giving it up and fighting for it in the opponent's zone where they are often outnumbered.

Seems like the rules were created to purely fuck with the New Jersey Devils, who him ok with.

bradigor

Just tried the True Broadcast and it turns NHL 15 into something very worthwhile indeed.

Not sure I could play online using that, but for my offline games, it is much improved.

3-2 overtime victory for the Leafs over the Pens in a thriller using True Broadcast makes this game a lot of fun.

It's just missing so much though... :/

I turned passing accuracy for both human and CPU all the way down. What does hardcore mode change?

LkPr

Sorry if this has been mentioned but did anyone receive the $25 off code for NHL GameCenter?? I read it was supposed to be included with the game but I just got NHL 15 for PS4 and no code :(

Just tried the True Broadcast and it turns NHL 15 into something very worthwhile indeed.

Not sure I could play online using that, but for my offline games, it is much improved.

Agreed. I never thought I'd play from this view, but it's pretty nice. The game looks really good from this view too.

Phinor

I turned passing accuracy for both human and CPU all the way down. What does hardcore mode change?

One of the big gameplay issues I have is the fact that there's still a ton of pass assist in the game even if you turn it all the way down + manual passing + hardcore.

I'm not sure about that AI learning either. I played against Florida earlier today, lost 11-1 (though I did win shots something like 25-35). Of the 11 goals, they scored around 9 with the same trick. It's almost as if I was playing against a human player who knows exactly one way to score a goal. Meanwhile my forwards never join me on the attack on schedule, it's always 1vs3 or 1vs4 the first 5 seconds I'm in the offensive zone. Sure, sometimes there's a line change going on, but not THAT often.

Orca

I went back and forth on it and ended up giving it a 2/5. The base game is good, really good with some tweaking, but there's just so much missing.

ngower

Thinking about trading in the game. I like the on-ice action, but there's no depth to the GM mode and I don't have internet so I lose out on a lot of those features.

Looks like Best Buy would give me about $40 when factoring in the trade in value. Is it stupid to eat the $20 (would put the other $40 towards FIFA 15), or should I just suck it up and hold on to the game?

bumpkin

Thinking about trading in the game. I like the on-ice action, but there's no depth to the GM mode and I don't have internet so I lose out on a lot of those features.

Looks like Best Buy would give me about $40 when factoring in the trade in value. Is it stupid to eat the $20 (would put the other $40 towards FIFA 15), or should I just suck it up and hold on to the game?
If you're really not into it, you'd be foolish to hang onto it with that much trade-in value, IMO.

i returned my copy today but FutureShop still gave me a Ultimate Team Gold Packs. not sure what it's worth but I'll entertain offers. :)

actually looking for a Music Unlimited trial if it's possible to use a second time.

EDIT: looks like it's worth $15

Quick, basic question on the game. I play the hell out of every damn genre of games, but annual sports games is the one area where I'm pretty much a dumbass.

I buy one of these every few years, and the majority of my time with the game tends to be playing a basic season mode, going through one game every few days to match the same team's actual IRL season. Is this something I can do with the bone/ps4 NHL15? From what I've heard I might have to do Be a GM or something?

[Also: Late-twenties lifetime Blackhawks fan here, and holy shit has the last seven years been the rollercoaster of a lifetime]

Edit: The United Center is one of the only couple arenas to not be recreated for the game? Aw man

Nuklear

Banned
If Operation Sports gave this game a bad review you know to stay away from it at least till it goes on sale for $40 at the very least. I'm glad I picked Madden over this and I honestly prefer hockey of football any day of the week. I can't let EA get away with this.

dotdotdot

Neo Member
Quick, basic question on the game. I play the hell out of every damn genre of games, but annual sports games is the one area where I'm pretty much a dumbass.

I buy one of these every few years, and the majority of my time with the game tends to be playing a basic season mode, going through one game every few days to match the same team's actual IRL season. Is this something I can do with the bone/ps4 NHL15? From what I've heard I might have to do Be a GM or something?

[Also: Late-twenties lifetime Blackhawks fan here, and holy shit has the last seven years been the rollercoaster of a lifetime]

Edit: The United Center is one of the only couple arenas to not be recreated for the game? Aw man

I love the hawks. Was so pissed at how the nhl didn't want them to win last year. Seriously, they lost on an overtime goal that Crawford couldn't defend cuz he was getting a stick to the chest. Hopefully this year is betters.

From what I've heard, you have to do GM mode because EA thought it smart to cut season mode

bumpkin

I love the hawks. Was so pissed at how the nhl didn't want them to win last year. Seriously, they lost on an overtime goal that Crawford couldn't defend cuz he was getting a stick to the chest. Hopefully this year is betters.

From what I've heard, you have to do GM mode because EA thought it smart to cut season mode
Um, wut? Watch the replay dude. Your own D-man was the deflection factor. Crawford went down and the puck hit Leddy and went up. Good goal, get over it.

Oh, and Go Kings Go! >:D

creyas

Played HUT for 15 hours straight yesterday on the PS4 and got my first ever thumb blister. Didn't expect to get one from a stick, left hand thumb. Got another 11 hours lined up for today.

bumpkin

Played HUT for 15 hours straight yesterday on the PS4 and got my first ever thumb blister. Didn't expect to get one from a stick, left hand thumb. Got another 11 hours lined up for today.
I've been playing my "Be a GM" season for hours at a time, no blisters yet. *crosses fingers*

But I'll tell ya, I have never been good at EA's NHL games so I've had the difficulty set on Rookie. What sucks is not only am I something like 10-0-0 so far on the season, but the closest game I've won was like 5-1. I've been hearing that there is no happy medium between Rookie and Pro though; it's either super easy or stupid tough.

This game is fun. I am getting such exciting games out of Be a GM mode so far.

Turned passing and shooting down to 0. I may adjust skating speed at some point.

I'm on pro.

Antti

I've played around 65 games of VS and yeah, the puck control definitely needs to be toned down. It's way too easy to hang onto the puck by holding the puck control button and circling around. I'd want the player to lose or have trouble holding onto the puck from nudging him, considering how loose the puck feels otherwise in the game.

However, I do like the new puck physics. It brings a whole new aspect to the game.

I played hut for the first time and got Vanek who is worth 18k according to the last bid, thats how much the gold jumbo pack is which comes with 7 rares. Is it better to keep him or sell on auction ? Sorry im not familiar with the economy in this game.

Vanek's quite a good player. I say keep your best players early on (I got Franzen in my starter pack and haven't gotten anyone as good since).

Say you sell Vanek for 18k. That means you get to buy a jumbo gold pack that will probably have 3-5 rare players. Will any of them be as good as Vanek? Probably not. You'll have a few thousand left over and have accrued some other stuff like contracts.

Now say you keep him. You can buy contracts through the marketplace for 100/150 each. Average rare gold players can be bought on the marketplace for ~600 (and average gold players go for ~300).

So if you play two or three HUT games, you can buy 2 full lines of average/good gold players and a handful of contracts, and still have Vanek.

I say keep any really good player you get (unless you get something like Crosby that can go for a million coins, then that's another question).

Hmm very good point, I didn't think about buying contract extensions, shows you how green I am. Yeah thats a solid strategy and I think I'll follow it.

I gave the game a 3/5, which I felt was fair. It's so lacking in a lot of areas, and feels like a stepping stone to future iterations.

The core gameplay is still quite fun, but the game's so glitchy.

- Only two players celebrate goals, then there's the jarring transition to all of them high-fiving the bench

- Most of my online matches have led to the game kicking both of us. I was finally able to win a complete game last night.

...and other things, like players skating into the net instead of going behind to fight.

I'll still continue to play it, but I couldn't recommend it to anyone but the diehards.

Erdrick

For all the arena buzz they went on about this year... They STILL haven't got the right goal horn for the MTS Centre. Argh... How hard can it be, EA?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Popped my NHL 14 disc into my 360 this weekend, I think I'll be fine until the next NHL comes out next year for Xbox One. At least NHL 14 works and is a ton of fun to play, almost don't need to buy another NHL for quite a while.

Nintendad

I got the game on PSN on Playstation 4 and says it's done, but I go into the game and it says 38% complete and isn't moving for about an hour now.

For all the arena buzz they went on about this year... They STILL haven't got the right goal horn for the MTS Centre. Argh... How hard can it be, EA?

The arenas' details were advertised heavily, but they hardly ever show them. All of that effort, and I can't even remember seeing good close-ups of cracked stairs or anything like that.

terrible

Banned
I wonder what the trade in value is for NHL 15. I should get rid of it now while it's still worth something then pick it up again in a month when it's $10 lol. I only paid $37 btw.

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
The arenas' details were advertised heavily, but they hardly ever show them. All of that effort, and I can't even remember seeing good close-ups of cracked stairs or anything like that.

First Niagara Center still has the generic goal horn too. :(

bumpkin

Oh man, that was a close one... I'm 13 or 14 games into my Be a GM season and so far I've stream-rolled every team I've played. Been winning by a margin of 5 or more goals every single game. But last night, I played the Canucks for the first time; they scored first, took the lead again later, and we were tied at 2 goals apiece 3/4 of the way through the third. I didn't finally take the lead and eventually win until I scored two short-handed goals in the final 3 minutes. :D

Canucks are NHL 15's secret powerhouse like the Detroit Pistons were in the original NBA Jam, confirmed.

Rbk_3

I'm 5-0 online and I haven't allowed a goal and I am not that good. Haven't played since 13. Bernier just stops everything.

edit-

Damn $69.96 for FIFA is AMAZING!

keezy

Having a lot of fun playing this. You can't do that glitch where you circle from the corner and go short side on the goalie. The goalie/defense men AI is improved. It's very difficult to get a goal just shooting the puck at the net. I'd say 80% of the time I can score if I can center the puck to somebody and get off a quick shot. This is assuming the pass gets through though....

Cudder

I'm actually really liking Ultimate Team. I never played it before in any of the prior NHL games. I'm loving the RPG-ish aspects of it like the leveling up, finding a line that works well with each other, and especially the auctioning and buying items.

Really enjoying this mode, it's pretty addicting.

bumpkin

Have we heard anything else/new regarding the updates EA said were coming? I thought one was slated for September sometime.

Top Bottom