• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

Hold the fucking phone. There's no season mode for single player? I.E. I can't select my team and play through the schedule? What possible reason could there be for omitting this?

And no shootout mode? They must be joking.

I wasn't annoyed at the lack of EASHL since I didn't play it...but come on.

bumpkin

Hold the fucking phone. There's no season mode for single player? I.E. I can't select my team and play through the schedule? What possible reason could there be for omitting this?

I asked about that earlier in the thread and someone said you can do that in Be a GM mode.

Be A GM mode is season mode. You just get all the frills of being a GM if you want to play around with them.

I asked about that earlier in the thread and someone said you can do that in Be a GM mode.

Thats a relief. If this was essentially limited to just play now for single player, and online head to head and HUT (another mode I don't play) for multiplayer I'd be livid.

...but since I'm a sucker and want some next-gen NHL I'm still buying it.

Not to mention the NBC FMV is laughable - its a neat idea on paper, but god damn they didn't think that one through.

Cudder

Someone at the EA boards was nice enough to compile this list of things missing in NHL 15 from 14.

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-There are no offline seasons in HUT
-There are no tournaments in HUT
-You cannot play a friend in HUT
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-Being drafted is now just a random assignment to a team, no way to influence when you are drafted
-You cannot draft players in Be A GM Mode
-No fantasy draft in Be A GM Mode
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music
-No simming between shifts in Be A Pro Mode

Someone at the EA boards was nice enough to compile this list of things missing in NHL 15 from 14.

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-Being drafted is now just a random assignment to a team, no way to influence when you are drafted
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

No Sale

Fuck, I'm buying it but that felt like the perfect response.

Delt31

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

WAIT WAIT WAIT.....no custom music!!!???? holy shit, I know others value more things but without that, I can't put in horns and goal songs. that could be it for me.

EDIT - guy doesn't know for sure - he made that list based on what he has seen on the forums and videos. Doesn't own the full game. Can someone with early access confirm?

Edit 2 - OK custom music is out. Holy crap. WTF. this SUCKS.

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it just assign draft players to you or what then? I really only play Be A GM mode and the draft is probably my favorite part, wheeling and dealing and drafting players who you think might help out your team in the long run is awesome. Now if it is random draft players assigned to your team, I guess that is fine. Still hugely disappointing.

I'm sorry, even with that small of a team and doing a last gen and a next gen version, having to cut and take out that much stuff is inexcusable even when a lot of it seems somewhat basic for a group like them to accomplish.

eznark

Banned
Bws9G2-CAAAGcIh.jpg:large

I'm in the minority here, but I'm okay with the direction they are taking with this game. It appears, for whatever reason, there were not sufficient resources to provide the game with all the modes we want the first year out on next gen. Effort was put into revamping puck/collision physics and the graphic/presentation. My impressions of all this are very positive and have just about sold me on the game. Granted, I want some of those game modes, especially OTP which is supposed to be patched in, but I would be more upset if it was just a straight port with all the modes. That would leave me little confidence that the franchise would actually move forward in the game play department.

I didn't think they would fuck with HUT since that's a cash cow for them but wow. What the fuck are they doing? You can't tell me they couldn't figure out how to work in offline games against the CPU. MUT just added an enormous amount of offline content and for HUT? Oh, they just deleted what little was there to begin with. Bravo.

This is fucking gross. Scouting is still in the game but it just sims the draft.

Well so much for me playing that mode.

How did they fuck this up so badly? I really want an answer. If it's simply due to mismanagement of their resources, someone needs to be fired. This is entirely unacceptable.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Can you play through a season with a friend (online co-op)? Can you create a player and be that player when you play through the season?
You can not play with a friend in Be A GM Mode. Be a Pro is still there too, but it's separate from Be A GM.

EDIT - Yikes... after seeing that cut list, that's some serous bullshit. For once in my life I would argue that the game should not be full priced compared to what the PS3 and 360 get. This is a $40.00 game at most.

EDIT 2 - WAIT WAIT WAIT!?! I can't even create players!?!??! No fucking way. So I can't create any of the college guys or players coming over from the KHL??? Jesus christ what did they do to this thing?

You can not play with a friend in Be A GM Mode. Be a Pro is still there too, but it's separate from Be A GM.

EDIT - Yikes... after seeing that cut list, that's some serous bullshit. For once in my life I would argue that the game should not be full priced compared to what the PS3 and 360 get. This is a $40.00 game at most.

Welcome to our side brother.... seriously though, some of this is beyond ridiculous despite the team size/other priorities.

EDIT 2 - WAIT WAIT WAIT!?! I can't even create players!?!??! No fucking way. So I can't create any of the college guys or players coming over from the KHL??? Jesus christ what did they do to this thing?
Jesus, guess i'm out then. Can't support this garbage.

PaNaMa

Banned
I read somewhere that EA only sells about 1M copies of this game, and something like 800,000 of those are sold in Canada.

Canadians will buy the game no matter how crappy it is, because Hockey.

EA will get away with this. Game will suck, game will sell. It's literally the only hockey game option out there.

People won't vote with their wallets cause they are starving for a "next-gen" hockey game.
It will sell just as much or more than ever.

Most shocking to me is the IQ..resolution, blur, and all around unimpressive graphics. It's just not crisp, not at all. It looks really hazy or something. Weird.

They say they will patch in online team play at some point. I'm sure they will. But we're stuck with the muddy graphics. If we want features, we can at least buy the last-gen version.

Yeah, this case kind of goes beyond justification and sits comfortably in "unacceptable" territory. I normally give devs a ton of slack, since making a game is fucking difficult. But if they're going to charge full price, the consumer has every right to a certain set of expectations, and this is just not meeting them.

WAIT WAIT WAIT.....no custom music!!!???? holy shit, I know others value more things but without that, I can't put in horns and goal songs. that could be it for me.

Uh, neither the PS4 nor Xbox One support custom tracks. This shouldn't be a surprise. It's not EA's fault here.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I read somewhere that EA only sells about 1M copies of this game, and something like 800,000 of those are sold in Canada.

EA will get away with this. Game will suck, game will sell. It's literally the only hockey game option out there.

People won't vote with their wallets cause they are starving for a "next-gen" hockey game.

Most shocking to me is the IQ..resolution, blur, and all around unimpressive graphics. It's just not crisp, not at all. It looks really hazy or something. Weird.

They say they will patch in online team play at some point. I'm sure they will. But we're stuck with the muddy graphics. If we want features, we can at least buy the last-gen version.
So Canadians make up 80% of their market and yet they ram shite like NBC down our throats? Brilliant job EA. That plus the dumb down be a pro mode (here I was hoping that they would built upon the Live the Life mode) makes me really uncomfortable in giving my money to EA.

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player

-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. How do you have Be a Pro but no player creation? Doesn't make sense

Delt31

This guy is exactly right on all of this - including the disappointing graphics. I'm wondering the same thing.

CREMSteve

This is an absolute joke. Please don't pay 60-70 dollars for this, it will only serve to tell EA you think it's acceptable.

At best, this is a 29.99 release for a diehard fan. Truly embarrassing.

And no, not all Canadians will put up with this, I'm one and they won't get a dime from me.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

They sell around 800k-1m, but it's not 800k in Canada. The US is the bulk of their sales just on scale alone. The problem is that since this ONLY sells around 800k they don't put the money into like their other sports titles. I guessed about 40 people were working on this team full time, but I don't even think it was that now. For the amount of content we're seeing, I'd wager the team is around 20 people full time. I was not expecting to see so many things cut/missing from the current gen systems.

This is pretty right! Although 1 million seems a bit low, I'd be surprised if that's all they sold. Could be totally true though.

chud

Banned
Cudder most likely Canadian and that's the price we face.

Garbage it uses NBC Sports intros instead of TSN, Sportsnet, and/or CBC. I don't want the subpar American experience.

Don't most people just mash X and skip through that junk anyway? And if the tv branding is really an issue for you, I don't really know what to say. Seems like such a stupid thing to be upset about. Probably a MTL fan. The game should probably be in French, too ;)

Teletraan1

Banned
Geez was kind of interested in a PS4 hockey experience but this list of missing features will have me waiting until it is in the bargain bin if I even bother picking it up.

chud

Banned
I haven't bought an NHL game since '11 so I'm looking forward to it. I only play against my friends so the absence of EASHL isn't really a concern for me

Revenant

Well No way I can support that 60 dollar purchase on nhl 15, I heard madden was pretty solid, guess that's the direction I'm goimg

Cudder

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. How do you have Be a Pro but no player creation? Doesn't make sense

Someone was saying you CAN create players, you just can't edit existing players, which I guess is something people used to do.

EDIT - guy doesn't know for sure - he made that list based on what he has seen on the forums and videos. Doesn't own the full game. Can someone with early access confirm?

Umm Custom Music is the one thing everyone expected to be out. The new consoles don't offer custom soundtracks.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Someone was saying you CAN create players, you just can't edit existing players, which I guess is something people used to do.
Whew, ok. We need an actual list from someone who has the game. I know we're all on the war path here and jumping to conclusions so I need to settle down a bit.

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

Since when did this series have AI??

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music

This just screams "$29.99" to me.

Fixed1979

If that list is accurate I won't even pick this up used.

Makes this mode pretty much useless...it was already pretty slow to sim to the next shift, having to sit on the bench and watch the AI play hockey while you recover stamina...no fucking way.

-No EASHL
-No OTP
-No NHL 94 Mode
-No Winter Classic
-No GM Connected
-No Shootout
-No Live the Life
-No be a CHL Pro
-No be a NHL Pro
-No be a Legend Mode
-No Season Mode
-No Tournament Mode
-No Playoff Mode
-No Battle For The Cup
-No Creation Zone
-No Edit Team
-No Edit Player
-No Customize AI
-No Build Your AI
-No Create A Play
-No Custom Music
I'm out. If I pick up an Xbone I'll play it on EA Access. But I'm not paying $60 for that. In the 2nd year for the console! FFS.

Player creation is in, Bailey made one last night when he was streaming the game. You just can't edit existing players or teams, which will be a huge disappointment to the people who try and fix the OVRs for GM mode.

Top Bottom