• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 17 EASHL (Xbox One) NeoGAF Dot Horses

RedRum

Banned
The only reason that NHL doesn't end up in the trash, or worse, sold to gamestop, is that I like playing with you guys but fuck this game is so goddamn frustrating. I'm not breaking another set of turtles over it though.

Let's go with this most obnoxious color on that list, Marv.

I'm shocked we lost that first game. We were dominating and just not getting the bounces. After that, I started to get tired and admittedly played pretty poorly. That said, it felt like we should've went 2-2 on the night in terms of how we were playing, as we definitely got trounced in a couple. To me, NHL 17 is one adjustment away from being great - just lower the chance that the player who is hit retains control of the puck. It's so frustrating that good passing often results in less scoring chances than skating into opponents.

Sorry I didn't have my mic on - girlfriend was alseep on the couch. It's not like it affected our communication or anything. Speaking of which...

ttsVgbb.gif

(That was when I realized we weren't playing well because I hadn't been concussed yet to motivate the team, so I had to knock some sense into us)

And then...
i2feWHb.gif

Two things worth noting:
1 - the offensive zone set play worked again. If the left handed shot is on the right side (I was because I think we were short handed at the time), center wins the faceoff to the RD, RW drifts to the right of the circle, gets the pass and shoots top shelf (either far or near side have worked so far). AI was the RD on the play, so it was easy to time the pass just right. We should do that more often.

2 - I think we should generally just shoot more. A lot of good rebounds when we did and worst case scenario, we get a faceoff to try to set up better.

Marvie_3

Banned
Redemption tonight?
Yeah ill be on.

One thing we need to work on is defensive positioning. Im going to use RedRum as an example but its something that we all do. When an opposing player is skating up with the puck, we need to stay in their path instead of chasing them side to side. Once they get you moving one way, they can just cut the other way and get around you. The other teams got a clean run to the net because they caught him chasing towards the boards and cut back in. Defensemen esoecially need to try to shade them on the inside and force the puck carrier to the outside. Again, this is something we should all work on so im not just trying to pick on RedRum.

Its more important for the defensemen to get this right because theres no one behind them to cover. Forwards being positioned better in the neutral zone will slow down or stop the other teams rushes before they get in our defensive zone.

RedRum

Banned
Yeah ill be on.

One thing we need to work on is defensive positioning. Im going to use RedRum as an example but its something that we all do. When an opposing player is skating up with the puck, we need to stay in their path instead of chasing them side to side. Once they get you moving one way, they can just cut the other way and get around you. The other teams got a clean run to the net because they caught him chasing towards the boards and cut back in. Defensemen esoecially need to try to shade them on the inside and force the puck carrier to the outside. Again, this is something we should all work on so im not just trying to pick on RedRum.

Its more important for the defensemen to get this right because theres no one behind them to cover. Forwards being positioned better in the neutral zone will slow down or stop the other teams rushes before they get in our defensive zone.

I understand what you're saying, but I will usually skate to try and force players to the boards and go for a poke check. So that means I am in front and to the side a bit. The biggest problem is that the lagged response the game has is terrible for defense. Your opponent is making moves seconds before you and when you do see them finally make that move, it will take a second or two to react, by that time your opponent is making his next set of moves. Defense in this game is a crap shoot especially if you're used to the smoothness of single player. It literally feels like the movement of NHL 93.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I should be able to play some late games the next couple of nights if people are on around 1 est

RedRum

Banned
I'll play when you fuckers stop getting on to play in the AM. Haha. I have beer league and then I'll be on around 9:30/10PM

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
yeah i can't really do late nights

10 pm est onwards? sure

but midnight onwards i cannot do except on sunday and mondays

Marvie_3

Banned
Blaming RedRum for both of those losses than should have been wins.

Also blaming him for the two timely goals that sealed the comeback in the 3rd game.

Top Bottom